echosyp

1st person only, waypoints, what more?

I only play on servers with 3DP on. I like the ability to scan around in 3rd Person and such. Crosshairs i also like, but aren't a do or die thing. Waypoints and ability to see people on the map is "cheap". I dont mind waypoints because thats just infinite navigation once you have a map, but seeing yourself on a map is a turnoff for a server.

I think if your up-to-date and well managed, switching to 3DP:ON may draw more people in to play.

My ideal veteran server:

3DP:ON

CH:ON

Tracer:OFF

NT:OFF

Waypoints:ON

Map Placement:OFF

Exactly what mines set for. Ever since I moved my server to NY, it's been high population every day and I'm proud to say it stayed that way the entire day today, with it being full 40/40 most of the time. And to top it off? Not one time did a hacker nuke or mass teleport the server today. I updated all the BE files(script/remoteexec/createvehicle .txt) today, and that's been doing a good job, but I think we also got lucky.

Now I'm going to jinx myself.

• Like 1

3rd person active, don't force a playstyle on me I don't want to do.

Good ping but that cannot always be helped.

Active admins that don't abuse.

How do you guys manage to prone while in 1st person ?.. all I can see is the grass...

Roll down the grass infront of you and position yourself on a hill, anyone expecting to lay down in foot high grass and see everything in front of them is just stupid.

I enjoy how people try to make excuses for 3rd person but then say nameplates need to go, you don't want to see nametags through walls but you're ok with seeing an entire character through the wall?

• Like 2

didn't read the whole thread but I only play on a couple of servers with 3rd person OFF (also CH, names, ...) and they are usually full

Edited by moriak

I love my 3rd person and my way points.

I gotta have those. The rest I don't worry so much about. lol

Oh. and IMHO this isn't a PvP Game. Its' a SURVIVAL MOD. Just because PvP is popular doesn't mean that's what everyone plays it for and such.

That is all. You may continue!

Edited by teteiyusu

Oh. and IMHO this isn't a PvP Game. Its' a SURVIVAL MOD. Just because PvP is popular doesn't mean that's what everyone plays it for and such.

That is all. You may continue!

True! So why do people whine and plead for their PvP exploit to stay?

So my server is about 2 weeks old and we have went from 3rd person to 1st person only server, veteran, with waypoints enabled. Players have completely stopped coming. Is 3rd person that big of a deal on a FPS game? I have admins on just about 24/7 to help keep watch over the server, we don't reset when we lose a vehicle or get our tents raided. Most vehicles are still laying around the place waiting to be taken.

So I ask you all, what makes you want to come to a server and stay on it? I need to find a way to keep some players or just quit paying for the server all together.

Love 3rd person, hate being a floating head for hours... so boring nothing to look at, and screen capping yourself sucks then, also it makes me feel safer when in actual fact it probably changes my death rate none whatsoever.

The mod is not an FPS it's a Survival game based on an FPS Game so really 3ps or fps should be welcome by choice not one or the other forced...

Love 3rd person, hate being a floating head for hours... so boring nothing to look at, and screen capping yourself sucks then, also it makes me feel safer when in actual fact it probably changes my death rate none whatsoever.

ArmA is one of the few FPSes where you aren't a floating head!

If there's an option to make a game easier, and you aren't utilizing it on your server, then they won't use that server. The same reason a lot of people don't play night servers, it's easier during the day. Anyways, I'm hoping in the standalone it's locked to first person. Makes the game a lot more intense.

If this game gets locked to 3rd person i'll probably honestly not buy it.

You should really get the choice 3rd person changes nothing but your perspective and i prefer to see my chracter.

there's just something about arma 2's 1st person which is sucky, no bobbing i'm an unrealistic floating head, and with bobbing i can't see anything.

If this game gets locked to 3rd person i'll probably honestly not buy it.

You should really get the choice 3rd person changes nothing but your perspective and i prefer to see my chracter.

there's just something about arma 2's 1st person which is sucky, no bobbing i'm an unrealistic floating head, and with bobbing i can't see anything.

Which is why it's so overpowered in PvP.

Apparently some people can feel and see their own head bobbing in real life? Are you the reason this shit exists?

US 23, hosted out of Dallas Texas UTC -6 CENTRAL TIME

Really? I hop on your server from time to time. Actually the only time i didnt get kos'd at nwaf was on your server. Me and dude locked eyes both did a 180 and never crossed pathsz again. I'll hop on more often if you need regular players.

Our server keeps it off we have okay amount of people you seem to get a better group of people with it off I guess it's a quality or quantity thing take your pic

It's not all about PvP. 1st person in Arma is ridiculous for navigating within buildings, induces nausea in a good number of people, and it's hard to tell if you're crouched or upright.

Yep 3rd person is a more popular setting.

I like it myself. It has nothing to do with any advantage I might gain. It does have to do with the FoV and that I like to break out of 1st person view every now and then to actually see my character. I'm always in 1st person in town but running through the woods for miles on end in 1st person is off putting for me.

3DP:ON

CH:OFF

Tracer:OFF

NT:OFF

Waypoints:ON

Map Placement:OFF

Those be the ones I love.

when I filter for a server I filter them to have 60ms or less ping

No nametages

and 3dp on

I will play without 3rd person but I prefer not to.

I don't play DayZ the Deathmatch Mod for arma II

I play DayZ the Survival Mod for Arma II.

If I'm looking to fight people then I will switch it to 1st person, but most of my time is spent wandering around the wilderness looking for camps and stuff.

1st person is too restrictive. My eyesight is much wider than that. I don't have to turn my head completely backwards to get a general idea of what is there.

My Peripheral vision isn't 180 degrees but it is damn close to it. Running around with tunnel vision is just disorienting and gives me a headache.

3rd person takes fun out of game, it is like wallhack, you can see over walls when they have 0 possibly to see you. I like it when I am running longer time, it looks better but in hardcore ambush PVP situations it gives way too much advance to one player.

FI #1 is only super high traffic server I know with 3rd person OFF, but the server is hosted in Germany so it isn't that great yah.

• Like 1

I would personally love to play in a first person only version of the game as it adds an intensity that I really enjoy, but unfortunately in my considerable PC gaming life it is the only first person mode that makes me motion sick. I can tolerate head bob in most games, but the way the engine does it in ArmA 2 is just off enough that it makes me queasy if I play for too long.

Also have you ever tried to cycle off-road in first person mode? It's like sitting on an old tumble dryer turned on, while being driven over rocks in a soft suspension 4x4 car, expecting it to be a smooth ride. I had to ALT+F4 after going down my first hill because I couldn't stare at the screen for long enough to hit Abort without wanting to hurl. The fact that the screen was still bouncing everywhere behind the menu I was trying to concentrate on was just the icing on the cake.

What's the point in a GPS when you can set waypoints and see your location on the map? Third person is cheap for letting you look around corners and over walls, but eesh. those two basically make a top tier item useless.

All credit due to SP45M. I stole this from him.

Edited by videosquid

I player CHOFF and 3DOFF when on a busy server

on a quieter server, starting a new life for example i will join a 3DP. this is due to a lot of running around and navigating through doorways, which is so much easier in 3rd person. but when it comes to action i want a level playing field. have only ever been on one full choff 3dpoff server, 50/50 i think it was. its rare.

99% percent of people love 3rd person.

yeah, because they can look over walls / around corners of doors with it before entering / exiting areas. it's like a wallhack if you will. but don't tell that to the people using it, they'll tell you that's not true, and that it's a FEATURE and that EVERYONE uses it! :(

i'm all for 1st person only servers.

Roll down the grass infront of you and position yourself on a hill, anyone expecting to lay down in foot high grass and see everything in front of them is just stupid.

I enjoy how people try to make excuses for 3rd person but then say nameplates need to go, you don't want to see nametags through walls but you're ok with seeing an entire character through the wall?

How about when you're just trying to avoid zeds ?

The grass comes back up in what, 30 seconds?