Sign in to follow this  
xcryonic

2 different characters on same PC with different STEAM accounts.

Quote from another survivor

"Ex: Steam account 1 has a copy of Arma 2 CO and has a character in the DAYZ database who is a survivor #1 Me.

Steam account 2 has a copy of Arma 2 CO and has a character in the DAYZ database who is a survivor #2 Brother.

Note: these are both on the SAME computer."

Can someone confirm that it works like this? Because my brother wants to play too but we found out today that we had been using same character for days, so he's planning to buy his own copy for his STEAM account.

Cheers! :)

edit: read this wrong, Steam has a common folder where it shares files between accounts so there is no need to download two copies of the game. Arma II is in this folder so it may be registering as the same copy of the game. I think your only option is to buy a copy which is not on Steam.

it might work!

i know that the character is tied to the cd key! so if you do have two copies it will work!

I am not sure though!

Each Steam account has a unique CD-KEY tied to it for each single game even though resources (eg. base files) are shared.

If you purchase ARMA 2 on account #1, it will have CD-KEY #1. If you buy ARMA 2 on account #2 it will have CD-KEY #2. Steam has a cloud service so wherever you go and whatever computer you play on, they will be the games and data you can only access. You cannot access someone's else's Steam account while on the same computer you have logged into your account with.

I know this works for a fact. I have both a PC and a laptop. I let my friend use my laptop to play DayZ while I use my PC, but if I log my account in on the laptop, I can play my character. Same if he logs into steam on my PC.

Characters are tied to the cd-key, which is tied to you steam account.

But that's not the point Undead_Clown, he wants to know if it's possible on the same computer, probably even same OS.

The retail and (non-steam) download version of ArmA 2 stores the cd key in the registry. I don't know how this works with the steam version though.

I haven't tested it, but I do believe you could have just as many characters as you had legit copies of ArmA2:CO or ArmA2:OA using the same (non-steam) installation and simply switching between their cd keys.

But that's not the point Undead_Clown' date=' he wants to know if it's possible on the same computer, probably even same OS.

The retail and (non-steam) download version of ArmA 2 stores the cd key in the registry. I don't know how this works with the steam version though.

I haven't tested it, but I do believe you could have just as many characters as you had legit copies of ArmA2:CO or ArmA2:OA using the same (non-steam) installation and simply switching between their cd keys.

[/quote']

Did you even read his post? People like you show how stupid humanity really is.

It does work like this. When you run Arma 2, Steam writes the current user's cd-key to the registry so that you can seamlessly transition between your character and your brother's simply by switching steam accounts.

Did you even read his post? People like you show how stupid humanity really is.

Thanks, was sitting here facepalming and couldn't even bring myself to respond. Thought I made it overly clear.....

I'm having this problem as ive bought dayz for my son as he keeps wanting to play my game and now he logs in on his steam account on my pc, to arma 2 or OA or CO, but it still has my profile in his game. A solution would be nice as i have two copies of the game we should be able to create two profiles.. :(

Use a separate Windows account for each of you.

If each of you logs into his own Windows account, then into his own steam account, you should be fine.

Be careful; Steam might not log you out and you might forget to check, and end up playing one another's characters. (That has happened here, occasionally).

Separate windows accounts did NOT work for me. I had a Steam version installed on one windows account and installed a non-steam version on the other.

It worked at first, but when I switched accounts and played with Steam, then switched back my non-steam version loaded with my steam player - presumably because steam overwrites the registry key.

I've heard windows accounts working for others, and I followed the steps to a tee - but it didn't work for me.

I had to write two registry scripts as detailed here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/printthread.php?tid=12236&page=1.

Now it works. I run the registry script corresponding to the player I want to play, and run the game through Six Updater instead of steam and I can freely swap between my two accounts.