bellicosity

Knowledge / Learning

This was brought up in General Discussion but I really feel like it should be discussed here instead.

Bearing in mind that this calls itself an RPG' date=' should you have to acquire knowledge through some means to be (more?) effective at certain tasks?

It could be through book looting in schoolhouses and other places that could teach you a skill (medical, vehicle repair, cooking, etc.) and would be valuable trade items.

Perhaps you could start with one skill already completed.

[/quote']

Medical, Mechanical and Cooking, and Survival knowledge example ideas shown below:

lPMwQ.png

In this example the player is a little over 50% knowledgeable about Medical, completely knowledgeable about cooking and survival, and knows nothing mechanical.

It would spread like a cold does now. If Im with someone who has 80% knowledge towards Medical, my medical knowledge will raise up slowly until it matches his.

What this 'knowledge' does or lets you do is debatable but here's a few examples of ideas.

I would think they would also allow advanced options for being fully skilled. A medically trained individual might be able to increase your total blood with a blood bag. A mechanical person can repair the power plant/generators. A cooking expert might be able to make multiples steaks from one piece of meat. A survivalist might lose temperature slower or be able to scavenge items from empty bottles/cans.

I feel that being completely untrained should also have some detriments though. Someone with no medical knowledge might need two bandages to stop bleeding. Lack mechanical skills and you cannot repair most cars or the heli. Someone without cooking skills needs two raw steaks to make one cooked steak. No survival skill and you need more food and water then normal.

Skill are good for RPGs, but hey, DayZ is not a RPG. You dont' have to get better only because you play a lot. You have to get better as you learn how the game works.

Skill are good for RPGs' date=' but hey, DayZ is not a RPG. You dont' have to get better only because you play a lot. You have to get better as you learn how the game works.

[/quote']

Lets not go painting things black and white here. DayZ is a good mix of an RPG/RTS if I ever saw one. Hell there are 'Roleplaying' servers.

That being said, its definitely a shade of grey between them. Where on that spectrum it falls is really up to rocket's final vision for it.

This was merely to encourage teamwork/grouping (which rocket himself said he is looking for mechanics to do just this)

I like the idea, and actually im willing to take it up a notch.

while at this current time there is no stamina system, at the future I would expect that people who run more, will have greater stamina, while people who pass thier time sitting and waiting would have less stamina.

thats just for the sake of realism, with a cap of course, meaning lets say a fresh survivor can run for 10 secs while a top "level" runner can run for 13 secs.

I like the idea' date=' and actually im willing to take it up a notch.

while at this current time there is no stamina system, at the future I would expect that people who run more, will have greater stamina, while people who pass thier time sitting and waiting would have less stamina.

thats just for the sake of realism, with a cap of course, meaning lets say a fresh survivor can run for 10 secs while a top "level" runner can run for 13 secs.

[/quote']

And your buddy who just happens to have survived for days is a master survivalist, having a 90% towards survival knowledge. Stick around with him for awhile and slowly your survival knowledge will raise to his, letting you run just as long...

I like this idea but all the payoffs appear to be things that make the game easier. Also, we'll have the influx of people essentially "trading skills". Finding someone who has what they need and then just waiting around with each other. Do these skills reset on death? How does this benefit solo survivors? I know people who learned everything there is to know about cars, just by fidgeting with their own. I don't see the point of a cooking skill. While skills can be taught, it's not impossible for someone stuck alone in the wilderness to pick these skills up on their own.

I like this idea but all the payoffs appear to be things that make the game easier. Also' date=' we'll have the influx of people essentially "trading skills". Finding someone who has what they need and then just waiting around with each other. Do these skills reset on death? How does this benefit solo survivors? I know people who learned everything there is to know about cars, just by fidgeting with their own. I don't see the point of a cooking skill. While skills can be taught, it's not impossible for someone stuck alone in the wilderness to pick these skills up on their own.

[/quote']

I agree on that note. If they do implement this things should be harder than they currently are without any knowledge and work there way up to the current standards. Once you become proficient it becomes easier.

If they made knowledge genuinely rare and slow to propagate itself then most people would die before becoming so knowledgeable that they have things easier.

Skill are good for RPGs' date=' but hey, DayZ is not a RPG. You dont' have to get better only because you play a lot. You have to get better as you learn how the game works.

[/quote']

QFT

[/quote']

QFT

Sigh, again, this game is a good mix of RPG/RTS. Claiming its not an RPG is asinine as it already clearly has elements of an RPG. Its a shade of grey and painting it solid black or white (RPG or RTS) is completely wrong

I have been thinking about this since last week.

I personally dont know how to repair a helicopter, and I doubt anyone with military training (Day Z characters) would.

It would be cool to have to find books that 'teach' you to repair or do other complicated tasks.

As you learn things you will be more careful not to get killed, because if you die all your knowledge will be lost.

Dont quite dig more icons on the screen and percentages.

This idea is shit. Sorry, it just is. However, I have a good way to do something similair.

You get books, you find them in grocery stores, houses, hunting towers, etc. And the books you find are related to the area. Ex. I go to a military barracks, inside there are books that tell you how to fly a helicopter. I then use the knowledge in this book to fly a helicopter. There are no stats, just realistic sources of information.

This idea is shit. Sorry' date=' it just is. However, I have a good way to do something similair.

You get books, you find them in grocery stores, houses, hunting towers, etc. And the books you find are related to the area. Ex. I go to a military barracks, inside there are books that tell you how to fly a helicopter. I then use the knowledge in this book to fly a helicopter. There are no stats, just realistic sources of information.

[/quote']

I think that was the basic idea of OP's post.

Trying to diversify people based on skills and stats is what will be the downfall of this game, it needs to be the way it is otherwise people will look for the best "builds" and the game's realism will slowly crumble.

Trying to diversify people based on skills and stats is what will be the downfall of this game' date=' it needs to be the way it is otherwise people will look for the best "builds" and the game's realism will slowly crumble.

[/quote']

This isn't an idea about builds though, simply a stat like food/water/blood. If you have it, you can use certain things. If you don't, there's a detriment. Just like food/water. Unlike food or water, it spreads by being around others.

Regarding to the average life expectency the more logical way to implement this is the class system you all dislike ^^ And I still believe it s the best think to do.

You don't learn to repair chopper or fly it reading a book you found 10 feets away... that is bullshit.

We have to spawn with a random class. once you re mechanist, once your pilot, once your medic ect ect.

You don't care about class? no prob, a medic is not forced to heal people, he s not force to only carry bandages either. You re a loner? no prob... but just don't even think of repairing a chopper or flying it.

People are cursing to people looking for easy way to do things. But the idea of beeing a loner in a world where people getting together are stronger effraids those same people. Sorry guys, but this a reality, strength in number. Yes it s already an advantage, and it will be more when this system of class will be set up. And so what? you re here to suffer and cry, you already repeated it enough... just suck it up :)

You want realism? Add classes, or remove chopper.

This game is not a rpg or rts or fps or anything.. this game is a subtil mix of everything to simply be a new and wonderfull game, taking the best from everything else.

We are not here to protect this game from other genre. We are here for an experience.

Now something not related i want to add for some people:

No, this game is not battlefield or cod. But regarding to the sales, most of you played both, bought both and loved both. Never spits on something you loved once, or you will spit on DayZ later.

Regarding to the average life expectency the more logical way to implement this is the class system you all dislike ^^ And I still believe it s the best think to do.

You don't learn to repair chopper or fly it reading a book you found 10 feets away... that is bullshit.

We have to spawn with a random class. once you re mechanist' date=' once your pilot, once your medic ect ect.

You don't care about class? no prob, a medic is not forced to heal people, he s not force to only carry bandages either. You re a loner? no prob... but just don't even think of repairing a chopper or flying it.

People are cursing to people looking for easy way to do things. But the idea of beeing a loner in a world where people getting together are stronger effraids those same people. Sorry guys, but this a reality, strength in number. Yes it s already an advantage, and it will be more when this system of class will be set up. And so what? you re here to suffer and cry, you already repeated it enough... just suck it up :)

You want realism? Add classes, or remove chopper.

This game is not a rpg or rts or fps or anything.. this game is a subtil mix of everything to simply be a new and wonderfull game, taking the best from everything else.

We are not here to protect this game from other genre. We are here for an experience.

Now something not related i want to add for some people:

No, this game is not battlefield or cod. But regarding to the sales, most of you played both, bought both and loved both. Never spits on something you loved once, or you will spit on DayZ later.

[/quote']

Adding classes will ruin this game, everyone is on the same playing field, you can't do anything that the other guy can't. I don't want someone getting an additional benefit "Just Because". Why does everyone feel the need to diversify?

Because it s realistic?

And this game is a kinda post-apocaliptic simulation.

Why would it ruin the game? most of people say that, I still didn't read a single good explaination about that fact.

I dont think classes would be a good way of implementing this, though I have no quarrels with people starting knowledgeable in random subjects everytime they spawn.

For instance, Bob starts with 80/20/55/0 on med/mech/cook/survival but James starts with 20/0/90/30.

If they team up together, slowly over time they will equalize so each player is now 80/20/90/30

2 words : FUCK YEAH

though i see it this way : everyone starts out with same skillsets.

But let's say you found and read rare book on cooking - you should then create meat that adds extra 100 blood to life.

Same concept could be applied to more books : crafting, trapping, hunting, booby-trapping, repairs and so much more.

WOW' date=' steal ideas much? Check the date. Love how coolest cat plays it off like his idea

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7434 - Collectable loot books altenative to class system

[/quote']

A) Never knew about your idea. And if you follow the thread back far enough, i never even claimed it as my own. If you follow it back further to the original thread I started about bandages that brought it up, it came up pretty organically from other people.

B) If you had the same idea, then you should be on board with it.

WOW' date=' steal ideas much? Check the date. Love how coolest cat plays it off like his idea

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7434 - Collectable loot books altenative to class system

[/quote']

Victor don't be childish. You cant even imagine how many more of "your" ideas floating around this forum. The whole purpose of this is to brainstorm and somehow help devs create something unique - who gives a fuck who's idea is it, as long as it gets added into the game.

[/quote']

Victor don't be childish. You cant even imagine how many more of "your" ideas floating around this forum. The whole purpose of this is to brainstorm and somehow help devs create something unique - who gives a fuck who's idea is it, as long as it gets added into the game.

Exactly.

To be fair to Victor though, I do like his ideas and I really dont see any reason why his and this could not work together.

Im personally qualified to work on Hueys IRL (though I currently work C-130's) and I can tell you that I'd be impressed with anyone who knew what they were doing to fix one with scrap metal, let alone someone who didnt have a clue.

They aren't easy pieces of machinery, and the skin of the bird isn't the most important part when it comes to actually flying it.

The fact that every character happens to be a master jack of all trades just detracts from the realism, I think.

The knowledge we acquire is the knowledge we acquire. There are no attributes.

Now that just avoids the topic at hand. Just because there is no mechanic for it currently doesn't mean there can't be.

Im sure bringing up food/drink before he implemented was though of the same way... why bring attributes into a game like this?

But just like food or drink you need knowledge to survive an apocalypse like the one in DayZ. Why cant that be implemented just like drink/food? Its not as transparent as food and drink are regarding mortality but its just as much a factor in mortality/survivability.