Sign in to follow this  
KoRnage_1

8th consecutive day trying to get DayZ running - PLEASE HELP!!!

As the title says, 8 f***ing days!

Can somebody, for the love of gaming, please, please, please, please, please, pretty freakin please run me through this shit step by step.

And for god's sake, DO NOT DIRECT ME TO ANOTHER GOD DAMN PIECE OF SHIT GUIDE THAT DOES NOT, REPEAT, DOES NOT WORK!

Sorry for the anger but god damn, I just spent fifteen hundred dollars on a new PC just for this mod and after 8 days it's fair to say that I'm at the last straw.

PLEASE HELP!

Re-downloading the patches for both ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead through steam for the 6th time. That's another 14gb's to bring my total to 70gb's in 5 days! This is just stupid.

I have to work tomorrow and I live in Australia so I can be back in this thread after work in about 20 hours from when I posted this. Please someone have mercy and give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this properly, please.

Epic thread...

..The best part is where the guy is raging so hard he forgets to give any description of his actual problem.

Protip: Copy the big files from your /steamApps folder with 'Arma' in the name, once its downloaded... to another folder for backup.

Better yet, use the 'backup local game files' feature built into steam...

/facepalm

Its tough for new players to install Arma mods. But for steam its done like this:

Download and unzip the addons (i suggest the torrent download because its got all the files in there in one place)

Go to your Operation Arrowhead directory in the drive that you have steam installed. So it will be like this D:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead.

Create a file called @dayz in the above directory.

Go into the @dayz folder and create a folder called addons.

Put the unzipped files into the addon folder

In steam, right click on operation arrowhead and go to properties at the bottom. Select set launch options and in the line type in -mod=@dayz -nosplash

Then launch combined operations by right clicking on operation arrowhead and selecting it. When you are in the Arma game menu, there should be @dayz in the top right corner beside arma 2, if its been done correctly.

And you dont need to redownload the full game if it doesnt work. Just the mod files -120MB or so. Make sure you have the correct addons, they change every few days.

On a further note, sometimes when you launch combined operations, the chernarus map doesnt load. You can check this buy running the mission editor in single player and if the chernarus map, along with the takistan map are available, then its working. If that is the problem though, there are ways to fix it.

Here's what worked for me and my clan mates:

1. Download both ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead through Steam

2. Open both of the games to allow them to install the required files, then close them

3. Download all of the DayZ Mod files into a folder

4. Make a folder named "@DayZ" at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead (or your Operation Arrowhead base folder)

5. Then make a folder inside "@DayZ" named "Addons"

6. Paste all of the downloaded files inside the "Addons" folder

7. Extract all of the downloaded files

8. Set Steam to run as admin

9. launch OP Arrowhead (not Combined OPs)

10. Select expansions and turn on DayZ (will require a restart of game)

11. Go back into expansions and select second DayZ option(will require a restart of game)

If you go through all of this from start to finish you should see the following on the right side of your screen when you start ARMA 2: Op Arrowhead:

@Dayz

Dayz

Once this is all working then open multiplayer and set your filter to show missions with Dayz in the tile and should all be working.

I had a few issues getting the game to work even though I followed the linked installation video.

If you get kicked from servers when connecting its either a BattlEye intialsation error.. in which case you download the newest BattlEye DLL from their website and put it in the folder they tell you to on the download page.

Or you may get the 'Unable to play mission due to missing/deleted file.chenarus' error in which case you need to copy you contents of addons folder from your Arma2 directory into you addons folder of your Operation arrowhead directory.

I'm going to move this to the Troubleshooting forum.

@KoRnage ,please give a discription of how you are trying to install the game, it would help.

Seriously, I wouldn't know where to start in regards to the insane amount and variation of errors I've had trying to get this running.

Everything from "Direct3D 9 graphical engine" problems on startup, to not being able to join servers due to missing DayZ files and Chernarus files, to Operation Arrowhead and Combined Operations running as the standalone ARMA 2 for some reason, to missing files like "CA_Building Parts" "CA_Characters" "CAAir" before the game even starts up.

You name the problem, and I've had it...multiple times.

Remember, I've tried getting this running soooo many times now and each time there are always a combination of the above problems.

My latest attempt an hour ago was by following this guide -

Everything seemed to be running ok until I noticed an "Addon folder" in the main Operation Arrowhead folder (steam/steamapps/common/operation arrowhead). Pretty sure that isn't meant to be there and was probably there from last time I tried screwing around to stop the "missing chernarus" problem upon attempting to join a server. I removed the folder and continued on with the guide, following it exactly word for word. I then followed the rest of the instructions, again word for word, until the end where he clicks "play game".

Now, yes I made sure "game version" was set to ARMA II - CO, but for some reason the original ARMA II loaded up and I get "CAAir missing addon CAA_characters_E" error (or something similar). ARMA 2 still loads up but without the option of an OA expansion and I can't join any DayZ servers due to missing DayZ files. From there, I just went hell for leather trying everything under the sun in a fit of rage.......ok well not that bad, but nothing I did fixed the problem, and the problem quickly turned into the Direct3D 9 error and other numerous missing file errors.

See, not exactly easy to explain....but I do very much appreciate someone actually taking the time of day to look into it.

Haha. Pal, the addons folder is part of the Arma game. Dont mess with anything other than whats in the @dayz folder. Those addons you deleted are causing the errors.

Have just read through all the replies and I can honestly say that to the best of my knowledge, I have done every single step in the exact order you guys have listed at least once, if not twice or three times. Always ends up with one error or another, as described in my earlier post.

I really do appreciate the quick replies, but most of thsoe suggestions are very similar to most guides out there, none of which seem to be working for me thus far.

#GoingInsane

Haha. Pal' date=' the addons folder is part of the Arma game. Dont mess with anything other than whats in the @dayz folder. Those addons you deleted are causing the errors.

[/quote']

I didn't delete them. I should have mentioned I put the "Addons" folder straight back into the ARMA 2:OA folder once I realised that the youtube guide didn't work. Then tried the guide again to no avail.

I actually try to install the dayz files into an @dayz/addons directory in BOTH the arma2 AND the Operation Arrowhead directories.

1. You have to EXTRACT the rar files into these directories, not copy them in.

2. the addons directory parallel to the @dayz directory is built into the game, it's not your fault.

3. You have to start BOTH versions, in order, before installing the dayz files. Or so I've heard.

4. When you click 'play' in Steam, on OPERATION ARROWHEAD, not the original game, you have to select the last option, Launch Combined Operations.

5. You need to either use the method of launching the game, and going into expansions to activate it OR put the -mod=dayz option into the launch options in steam for operation arrowhead to get it to work.

Direct X 9 and other problems may be beyond the vagaries of getting this mod working and start to engender questions like "Does your computer work with other D9 games?"

L

Follow the guide by Bayers mate. And do not EVER alter any folders that you find in the steam directory unless you 100% know why and what you are doing it for.

Hope things get sorted mate, if not post back here and describe exactly what you are doing. Screenshots would help as well.

I just used six updater, which couldn't have been easier. No extracting, no editing short cuts, no moving of files. Just let six updater do it all.

I actually try to install the dayz files into an @dayz/addons directory in BOTH the arma2 AND the Operation Arrowhead directories.

1. You have to EXTRACT the rar files into these directories' date=' not copy them in.

2. the addons directory parallel to the @dayz directory is built into the game, it's not your fault.

3. You have to start BOTH versions, in order, before installing the dayz files. Or so I've heard.

4. When you click 'play' in Steam, on OPERATION ARROWHEAD, not the original game, you have to select the last option, Launch Combined Operations.

5. You need to either use the method of launching the game, and going into expansions to activate it OR put the -mod=dayz option into the launch options in steam for operation arrowhead to get it to work.

Direct X 9 and other problems may be beyond the vagaries of getting this mod working and start to engender questions like "Does your computer work with other D9 games?"

L

[/quote']

Haven't tried installing @DayZ mod into both ArmA 2 and ArmA 2:OA yet, only OA.

1. Yep, extracted and deleted rar files.

2. Wasn't sure of that but like I said, it still didn't work when I put it back in there and also didn't work for the past 8 days when I haven't touched the Addons folder each time I've tried installing previously.

3. Did that.

4. Did that.

5. Tried both of those ways.

Brand new computer using the ATI Sapphire 7970 GPU. Have DirectX 11 installed. Arma 2 and OA run fine on first startup before trying to mod.

Thanks anyway buddy :(

Follow the guide by Bayers mate. And do not EVER alter any folders that you find in the steam directory unless you 100% know why and what you are doing it for.

Hope things get sorted mate' date=' if not post back here and describe exactly what you are doing. Screenshots would help as well.

[/quote']

Guess I'll make that my next guide than.....sigh...

Thanks.

I just used six updater' date=' which couldn't have been easier. No extracting, no editing short cuts, no moving of files. Just let six updater do it all.

[/quote']

Can't use that for Steam versions, can you?

Ok, in your Arma 2 OA folder in steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead folder do you have a folder called @dayZ? If so, open it and inside there you should have a folder called "Addons". Within this folder all the DayZ files will be there, or should be. You should see 14 files in total.

If everything is correct, go to your Library in Steam, RIGHT CLICK on Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead and then click properties (at the bottom).

Now, you need to click "Set launch options" and put the following into the box that pops up:

-nosplash -mod=@Dayz

Then launch the game making sure you choose the option: Launch Arma 2: Combined Operations.

Now you should be good to go.

IOr you may get the 'Unable to play mission due to missing/deleted file.chenarus' error in which case you need to copy you contents of addons folder from your Arma2 directory into you addons folder of your Operation arrowhead directory.

I had this issue, and did the above and that solved my issues.

Its probably verifying game files in Steam if you are still having issues. Also do you need to run Arma2 like you do with retail versions?

Ok' date=' in your Arma 2 OA folder in steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead folder do you have a folder called @dayZ? If so, open it and inside there you should have a folder called "Addons". Within this folder all the DayZ files will be there, or should be. You should see 14 files in total.

If everything is correct, go to your Library in Steam, RIGHT CLICK on Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead and then click properties (at the bottom).

Now, you need to click "Set launch options" and put the following into the box that pops up:

-nosplash -mod=@Dayz

Then launch the game making sure you choose the option: Launch Arma 2: Combined Operations.

Now you should be good to go.

[/quote']

Well I don't have the @dayz folder in there now because I decided to start over fresh yet again so deleted everything like that and deleted the local game data through steam. Re-downloading both 8gb patches for both games through steam again now as we speak.

But yes, going through your post, I'm almost certain I've done everything you've mention numerous times. Most of the time it leads to missing file errors on startup, direct3d 9 errors on startup (don't get this staright away, normally after I screw around trying to fix other errors like missing files etc.) or ArmA 2 launches instead of OA or CO.

Thanks anyway mate, appreciate you taking the time.

Kornage_1,

I would love to help you over teamspeak, but I personally have both A2 and A2:OA physical copies and therefore not on Steam. Can somebody clarify if he needs to merge his folders (can he, in order to simplify the process?) or if he just needs to launch OA and then choose "run CO" as stated above?

Once this initial query is dealt with, the remaining process is very simple and wouldn't mind helping you.

Right don't listen to the peeps with the manual install, much easier way..

Make sure you have run both games at least once before starting this

1 go to new player discussion section of this website, I would link but I'm on phone

2 select stickies thread install options

3 scroll down until you find "worrom installer" current version is 145

4 Run in and choose check for updates.

5 it downloads all the files and puts them into the place for you.

6 go to steam, rightclick operation arrowhead, properties and then select "run game from" or something like that. A small text box pops up. Now copy a line that's in the readme text file that came with worrom installer there.

7 last stage, again right click arrowhead and verify battleeye

Kornage_1' date='

I would love to help you over teamspeak, but I personally have both A2 and A2:OA physical copies and therefore not on Steam. Can somebody clarify if he needs to merge his folders (can he, in order to simplify the process?) or if he just needs to launch OA and then choose "run CO" as stated above?

Once this initial query is dealt with, the remaining process is very simple and wouldn't mind helping you.

[/quote']

Hey mate, thanks for the offer. As I said earlier, I'm in the process of re-downloading the patches for both ARMA 2 and OA through steam right now, and being that that's 14gb's worth of downloads, it probably won't be finished before tomorrow sometime (I'm in Aus and it's 11pm right now). I have to work tomorrow so wont be able to try installing DayZ again until afterwards, which is about 19 hours away from now.

I then have the next day off work if that's any easier to organize a time to try and get each other on Teamspeak.

Again, thank you so much to everyone who is helping out here. I know I'm gonna feel like a complete idiot when/if I/we finally figure out what the hell I've been doing wrong all these times.

It probably will be something simple buddy, we have all been there!

Right don't listen to the peeps with the manual install' date=' much easier way..

1 go to new player discussion section of this website, I would link but I'm on phone

2 select stickies thread install options

3 scroll down until you find "worrom installer" current version is 145

4 Run in and choose check for updates.

5 it downloads all the files and puts them into the place for you.

6 go to steam, rightclick operation arrowhead, properties and then select "run game from" or something like that. A small text box pops up. Now copy a line that's in the readme text file that came with worrom installer there.

7 last stage, again right click arrowhead and verify battleeye

[/quote']

I used worrom installer the second and maybe even third time I tried to do this, a few days ago now. I've honestly tried every method mentioned in the thread so far. No luck.

I want to stress too that I'm not doubting you guys as you all managed to get the game running, so it's obviously something I'm doing wrong. I'll also mention that I've been a PC gamer for years now, and generally have a pretty good knowledge of how to work my way around computers and the net, but this is my very first encounter with modding

I think what's making me even more annoyed, angry, disgruntled and upset is the fact that I've just got this brand spanking new gaming PC which is very capable of running this game on the highest settings with no worries (tried it on OA)....and yet I've had to wait nearly 9 days now to play it!