Sign in to follow this  
KoRnage_1

8th consecutive day trying to get DayZ running - PLEASE HELP!!!

You need the latest DX9 to fix the "direct3d 9 errors".

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

You mean that ^^^

All up to date according to that.

The "direct3d 9" problem only ever seems to happen after I've tried out a few different things because yet another guide has let me down. I even fixed that error once by making OA open in windowed mode' date=' so I can't see how that could mean I need to update DX9?

Also, before attempting to install DayZ, I can play both ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead vanilla just fine.

[hr']

Get on dayz IRC channel' date=' we handle angry customers all day and we have yet to see a someone who can't be helped :P

To do so go here: http://goo.gl/3mBVf

[/quote']

My god, the support in this forum is amazing, non-stop help :) Than ks everyone! Feeling slightly less suicidal now that I know I'm not on my own with this anymore :P

As for the dayz IRC channel, is there normally always someone on it? Being in Aus and working during the day, the time difference can be a bit of a factor.

Vista, nor W7 comes with DX9. IIRC, no version of Windows ever updates Direct X, the user must do it.

Did you extract the DX9 files (to anywhere) and then run the setup.exe?

It's odd, but a must do for ArmA.

Vista' date=' nor W7 comes with DX9. IIRC, no version of Windows ever updates Direct X, the user must do it.

Did you extract the DX9 files (to anywhere) and then run the setup.exe?

It's odd, but a must do for ArmA.

[/quote']

I couldn't find direct3d 9 to download though, only the link I gave before. Could you provide a link? If so, I'll d'l it and run the setup.exe straight away. EDIT: Think I found it - http://www.softwarepatch.com/includes/download.php?page=windows&slug=directx&id=3 ???

Finished d/l'ing the patch for ArmA 2 through steam. Now d/l'ing the patch for OA. Going to bed now while I wait for it to finish and will have another look in this thread in the morning before work. Will make sure to run ArmA 2 and ArmA 2:OA once each through to the menu in the morning also, ready to once again start trying to install the DayZ mod after work. Should I also run CO through to the main menu once after running both ArmA 2 and OA once each?

So if you guys could come to some sort of conclusion on which guide I should use this time, I'll get to it after work and report back here with precise details on how every step goes and any problems I encounter (about 18 hours from now).

If nothing else helps you might want to record your installation attempt with something like CamStudio and upload it to Youtube and link here, just to make sure there aren't any missing steps.

Another tip is to google all the error messages you get. It's highly likely someone on the internet got that same message and already solved in on some other forum or the like. Especially Direct3D seems like something that could be solved in a flash with exact error message.

Also, stop redownloading the whole game, that is not helpful in the slightest. Use the "verify game integrity" of Steam to fix anything you may have screwed up with your DayZ installation attempts, a lot faster and you'll probably solve your problem faster too.

To add my short video tutorial( http://youtu.be/HRK1t6tXpbw ), though I'm rather sure you've already tried this. Just replace Arma 2: Free with your normal version of Arma 2.

If nothing else helps you might want to record your installation attempt with something like CamStudio and upload it to Youtube and link here' date=' just to make sure there aren't any missing steps.

Another tip is to google all the error messages you get. It's highly likely someone on the internet got that same message and already solved in on some other forum or the like. Especially Direct3D seems like something that could be solved in a flash with exact error message.

Also, stop redownloading the whole game, that is not helpful in the slightest. Use the "verify game integrity" of Steam to fix anything you may have screwed up with your DayZ installation attempts, a lot faster and you'll probably solve your problem faster too.

To add my short video tutorial( http://youtu.be/HRK1t6tXpbw ), though I'm rather sure you've already tried this. Just replace Arma 2: Free with your normal version of Arma 2.

[/quote']

Interesting idea with recording my install process....will look into it, cheers.

As for Googling any errors I get, I already do that and have had some success with it, just obviously not quite enough. It seems when I fix one problem, another pops up. For example; On one of my installation attempts, it said I was missing the Chernaraus map so after googling the problem I added the "Addons" folder from my main ArmA 2 directory into my main Operation Arrowhead directory. Sure enough it fixed the problem of missing Chernarus, but then when I tried to go into either OA or CO, the vanilla Arma 2 would load up.

Even managed to get DayZ running somehow using ArmA 2 after that (didn't even think that was possible), but you can tell it's meant for OA or CO as a lot of the huds/menus/graphics were not right including the inventory/backpack screen in which it was impossible to right click on any item to use it because the command that pops up (eg. "eat", "drink", "bandage") is hidden behind the actual inventory display itself ("use morphine auto-injector" was the only right-click command that would work because that command is so long that it came out from behind the inventory display and so I was able to actually click it).

And I'm not re-downloading the whole game, just the last update for each (1.11 for ArmA2 and 1.60 for OA I believe). Haven't really used Steam that much and was unaware it had "Backup game files" option, I'll use that to backup both ArmA 2 and OA before attempting to mod this time.

And I'll check out your tutorial tomorrow, but if I've been struggling with steam tutorials, I'm not sure if I'll go any better with a tutorial that was designed for the free version of ArmA 2.

And I'll check out your tutorial tomorrow' date=' but if I've been struggling with steam tutorials...

[/quote']

Well in the video I configure it to start without Steam so it might help in some ways.

I had only one quirk when trying to get DayZ running. The first time I launched CO I had to shut down steam and restart it with "run as Administrator".

Just a few points I felt like adding on:

1) Make sure to run Steam as an administrator, that seems to fix several issues

2) Launch Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead by themselves at least once before trying to launch Combined Operations

3) If you are trying to use the Beta patch for Arma 2, note that it DOES NOT work with Steam, you will need to launch the game from outside of Steam

4) If you're still having trouble, just use the DayZ installers that Dwarden put up on the Steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2705489

5) Please be a little less ragey :)

Was recommended this guide by a friend who only just finished installing DayZ with no problems.

Had both ArmA 2 and OA updated (excluding beta patch) by this morning before work so was ready to go when I got home. Followed every single instruction perfectly except that I used Winrar instead of 7-zip to extract the DayZ files.

Still extracted them where instructed in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\operation arrowhead\@DayZ\addons but after setting the launch options for Operation Arrowhead to -mod=@DayZ through Steam and then right clicking on Operation Arrowhead in Steam to select "Run as Combined Operations", the @DayZ logo failed to appear underneath the main ArmA 2 logo in the top right hand corner of the main menu screen. When I click on "expansions" however, @DayZ is enabled in the list and I actually can't disable it. Then, when I try to join a server, I get the missing DayZ files error and get booted back to the server browser screen.

Really at a loss...Where to from here folks?

Check in the addons folder that you have 14 files mate.

Ok, it's working now :)

Would love to let you guys know how I did it, but yeah, I pretty much have no idea. All I know is that now to get DayZ running I have to start Operation Arrowhead from it's root directory in steamapps\common\operation arrowhead (or via a created shortcut) instead of through steam and instead of running Combined Operations.

I then struggled with the "debug forest" bug (no trees, water, buildings - just grassy hills) for about the past hour until some nice chap from the server I was in told me to hit "respawn" and join another server.

So thank you to everyone who put up with my anger and whining and tried to help me. Much appreciated guys, and I'll be sure to hang around in case I run into further problems (touch wood).

Now to FINALLY hunt me some zombies on my 50" Plasma on the highest settings :) :) :)

Cool, happy you got things sorted mate, wish you knew how you did it! :p

Cool' date=' happy you got things sorted mate, wish you knew how you did it! :p

[/quote']

Thanks mate. I'll have a think about the things I did to get it running while I play DayZ for a few hours :) Will post anything i remember from the process later on.