Sign in to follow this  
badger05

Arma 3 engine does not support windows xp

Holy shit man. Upgrade! It's not that expensive to hop over to 7 or vista.

Better yet, nab some savings and get a new computer!

Why the hell should we be forced to spend $100-$120 during a crappy economy and give the idiots at Microsoft MORE money just so we can continue to play video games? Microsoft can go bankrupt and collapse for all I care, especially with it trying to force us to give up Steam and Origin just for its own crappy platform for playing games...

I'm not going to waste my precious money by giving it to the greedy, fat, grubby fingers of the fat executives in Microsoft's HQ...

I had an issue with another title and I upgraded, I was just fortunate I had a system which was compatible, If you can upgrade It is worthwhile.

For some the cost will be an issue, Pay for standalone and then OS. I'd buy Win 7 Now before standalone comes out.

But times change alas.

why on earth would you pay for windows 7?!

• Like 1

I'm not going to waste my precious money by giving it to the greedy, fat, grubby fingers of the fat executives in Microsoft's HQ...

Microsoft was forced to split into two companies, one that does the software, the other that works on windows, due to a Monopoly law suite started bt NetScape. So you are giving your money to the "less" greedy side of the company. And no one is making you buy windows, feel free to develope your own OS.

Why the hell should we be forced to spend $100-$120 during a crappy economy and give the idiots at Microsoft MORE money just so we can continue to play video games? Microsoft can go bankrupt and collapse for all I care, especially with it trying to force us to give up Steam and Origin just for its own crappy platform for playing games...

And damn those graphics card companies forcing us to upgrade because newer software needs more powerful video cards. And damn those processor makers because new software demands more powerful processors. Damn microsoft for making us upgrade from windows 3.1 because software moved past it....

Seriously...you're using an operating system that I bought what? 10 years ago on the first day it was available at college. Its old. It is as viable a operating system at this point as windows 3.1. Microsoft no longer supports any version of it. Its dead. In terms of software and hardware XP is absolutely ancient. With windows 8 hitting general availablity its 3 operating system generations old. (Not counting the xp derivitives ofcourse).

If your operating system was hardware you would have had to upgrade your computer at least once since it was released. For fucks sake, get a job and stop being a penny pinching cheap ass douche and upgrade your operating system.

Edited by BlindProphet
  • Like 2

And damn those graphics card companies forcing us to upgrade because newer software needs more powerful video cards. And damn those processor makers because new software demands more powerful processors. Damn microsoft for making us upgrade from windows 3.1 because software moved past it....

Seriously...you're using an operating system that I bought what? 10 years ago on the first day it was available at college. Its old. It is as viable a operating system at this point as windows 3.1. Microsoft no longer supports any version of it. Its dead. In terms of software and hardware XP is absolutely ancient. With windows 8 hitting general availablity its 3 operating system generations old. (Not counting the xp derivitives ofcourse).

If your operating system was hardware you would have had to upgrade your computer at least once since it was released. For fucks sake, get a job and stop being a penny pinching cheap ass douche and upgrade your operating system.

Why do you assume I have no job?

Lesson for you douchbag, we are in an economic depression/recession. It is only going to get worse, despite what some idiots say...

Microsoft is a greedy company that should fail miserably (along with companies like EA and Sony) with absolutely no opportunity for a bailout.

You clearly do not understand the concept that money doesn't grow on trees, and that there are far more important things to use it for such as paying bills and paying off debt (especially loans from school) as well as food and other essentials.

Why should I be forced to spend so much money on an OS that simply takes up MORE memory and contains features that I don't care about and changes features that I absolutely love?

Windows 8 is going to be completely crap because of the changes within it and especially because of the greedy bastards plan to try to force us through Microsoft Games/Windows Live to play our games and trying to kill off great programs like Steam and great companies like Valve.

Same for Apple, both Apple & Microsoft should collapse and go absolutely bankrupt.

there isn't a single reason why you should/would/need to use XP over windows 7. its old and outdated. and has no advantage what so ever...

This forum is full of idiots.

I dual boot XP x86 and 7 x64 because there are many programs and pieces of hardware I use which work flawlessly with XP but are not compatible with 7 for whatever reason.

Lots of hardware companies don't update their drivers for new operating systems. Lots of software companies don't update their software for new operating systems either.

On the subject of advantages (of which you think there are none) - my XP installation boots up much quicker than my 7 installation despite being older and more full up with crap. Once booted, my XP installation uses fewer resources than 7, runs at a lower CPU temperature and generally performs better with programs and games than 7 does.

Do whatever floats your boat but don't spout bullshit about XP being useless. Windows 3.1 is still 100% useful if there is a program on it which one needs to use.

Back on topic: shame they're not supporting XP, I feel sorry for everyone who needs to 'upgrade' their OS but I'm sure it'll speed up the game's development time as a result.

• Like 1

Why do you assume I have no job?

Lesson for you douchbag, we are in an economic depression/recession. It is only going to get worse, despite what some idiots say...

Microsoft is a greedy company that should fail miserably (along with companies like EA and Sony) with absolutely no opportunity for a bailout.

You clearly do not understand the concept that money doesn't grow on trees, and that there are far more important things to use it for such as paying bills and paying off debt (especially loans from school) as well as food and other essentials.

One I'm well aware money doesn't grow on trees. Two Microsoft is no where near as greedy as you think. Three you are right that upgrading your PC to meet todays technology standards falls below your basic needs in levels of importance. However I would point out that if you can not afford the upgrade even with saving say $25 a week (Thats only really 4-6 weeks to get windows 7) then perhaps you should also be less worried about how greedy Microsoft is and more focused on advancing yourself so that you can afford to do the things you like doing.

Why should I be forced to spend so much money on an OS that simply takes up MORE memory and contains features that I don't care about and changes features that I absolutely love?

Your not forced to do so. You can choose not to purchase a more recent operating system. But your making the choice to use an ancient operating system that is in no way shape or form supported at this point by its makers, and which more and more companies are going to stop building software for. If you don't want to upgrade you don't have to, but thats your CHOICE. You're CHOOSING to not be supported. CHOOSING to be obsolete. CHOOSING to not keep up with the technology curve, and accepting that eventually you will not be able to play anything but ancient games because you made such a choice. ARMA3 just happens to be one of the first thats saying 'Sorry we're not supporting an opperating system whos creators don't even support anymore'.

Windows 8 is going to be completely crap because of the changes within it and especially because of the greedy bastards plan to try to force us through Microsoft Games/Windows Live to play our games and trying to kill off great programs like Steam and great companies like Valve.

Same for Apple, both Apple & Microsoft should collapse and go absolutely bankrupt.

Actually that's not the case at all. They're not forcing you to use games for windows live or anything like that. I know a couple of people using windows 8 right now and are using steam WITHOUT issue. I'm really not surprised at your level of misinformation though.

And yes, the only way to get the OS is paying for them... B)

• Like 1

One I'm well aware money doesn't grow on trees. Two Microsoft is no where near as greedy as you think. Three you are right that upgrading your PC to meet todays technology standards falls below your basic needs in levels of importance. However I would point out that if you can not afford the upgrade even with saving say $25 a week (Thats only really 4-6 weeks to get windows 7) then perhaps you should also be less worried about how greedy Microsoft is and more focused on advancing yourself so that you can afford to do the things you like doing.

Your not forced to do so. You can choose not to purchase a more recent operating system. But your making the choice to use an ancient operating system that is in no way shape or form supported at this point by its makers, and which more and more companies are going to stop building software for. If you don't want to upgrade you don't have to, but thats your CHOICE. You're CHOOSING to not be supported. CHOOSING to be obsolete. CHOOSING to not keep up with the technology curve, and accepting that eventually you will not be able to play anything but ancient games because you made such a choice. ARMA3 just happens to be one of the first thats saying 'Sorry we're not supporting an opperating system whos creators don't even support anymore'.

Actually that's not the case at all. They're not forcing you to use games for windows live or anything like that. I know a couple of people using windows 8 right now and are using steam WITHOUT issue. I'm really not surprised at your level of misinformation though.

You clearly don't understand it, I'd aim you towards this post:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/25/gabe-newell-i-think-windows-8-is-a-catastrophe-for-everyone-in-the-pc-space/

You clearly don't understand it, I'd aim you towards this post:

http://www.pcgamer.c...n-the-pc-space/

Well glad you don't have anything to say about the other points. Sad to see you can't make an actual argument and instead point to a quote from someone as 'proof' that I don't understand what windows 8 is all about. Ah the wonders of the internet. Everything you read on it is true.

XP doesn't support DirectX 10 or 11 and plenty of other games already do not support XP (such as as Battlefield 3) so if you want to get the best graphics available then you need to move away from XP in any case.

My suggestion is get 7 now or if you can deal with the interface pre-order Windows 8 upgrade, it's only like £/$30.

It won't be long before steam stops supporting XP as well. They've already phased out the first version of XP.

Time to get with the times! ;)

It wont be long before Microsoft them selves stop supporting XP. And tbh, the 32bit ram limitations etc. is reason enough that no one should stay woth XP.

It won't be long before steam stops supporting XP as well. They've already phased out the first version of XP.

Time to get with the times! ;)

It wont be long before Microsoft them selves stop supporting XP. And tbh, the 32bit ram limitations etc. is reason enough that no one should stay woth XP.

Going to point out again, that Microsoft already has stopped supporting XP. They've been stopped for a while now.

Some fair points but theres no need to act like a complete dick about it.....

It will use the RV engine but not the Arma 3 one. It will be a custom engine designed for the needs of DayZ not Arma 3.

Source: http://www.reddit.co...tions/?sort=hot

Its the exact same ENGINE as Arma3. Just TUNED differently. But now we're just arguming symantics. SO, with that being said, it will have the SAME limitations as, guess what?, Arma3.

No XP for you.

Also not available on Amiga & Commodore 64... DAMN

Next you'll be telling me I won't be able to play it on my ColecoVision <_<

Its the exact same ENGINE as Arma3. Just TUNED differently. But now we're just arguming symantics. SO, with that being said, it will have the SAME limitations as, guess what?, Arma3.

No XP for you.

Please provide a source, otherwise it's just empty words. Nowhere have I seen RV4 being used on DayZ standalone. The closest I have seen in Rocket saying a "separate branch of the RV engine" being used. This could be a tweaked RV4 or RV3 (ArmA 3 or 2's engine).

Edited by MasterSith

Please provide a source, otherwise it's just empty words. Nowhere have I seen RV4 being used on DayZ standalone. The closest I have seen in Rocket saying a "separate branch of the RV engine" being used. This could be a tweaked RV4 or RV3 (ArmA 3 or 2's engine).

I'm on my mobile. Look at my Profile and the only thread I started is one with link stating that it is using RV4 engine. It's a interview with rocket the same day the standalone was announced.

You haven't seen the source cause you haven't searched