Shotgunned

Game got boring real quick without Side Chat

I know a lot of people enjoy the immersion without it, but at least give servers the option to have it on for now without them getting in trouble for it. at least until an alternative that rocket is planning ACTUALLY comes out, not speculated to. I feel that this game got so boring without it because there's noone to play with when my friends aren't on because I'm forced to kill everyone who gets close to me due to the direct communication being pointless during standoffish situations. This game got extremely boring once the side chat was disabled on the servers I frequented. If anyone knows of any servers with SC still enabled please tell me!! =(

• Like 21

i thought that servers have it off by default and the owners could if they so pleased to could activate side chat if they wanted. now im confused since about 30 people have told me this espicaly 3 server owners >.<

True. Side chat at least made the killing side of the game interesting. Now it's all one boring murderspree with a semi-psychotic detatchment since you can hardly communicate anytime anywhere without using Vent/TS/Etc. People who compare this to CoD are wrong. CoD at least lets you know who killed you and talk shit/get them back ;) Didn't expect to feel this way when I first started, but the immersion dies real quick once you start doing Heli/NWAF runs anyways.

Thats why Non-Hive servers gets alot of players cause they have fully control of the server.

• Like 3

yea really dont want to have to go to non-hive servers though, i like the fact i can switch servers with my char if somethings goin on with the server ie:lag, hackers, full server and friends cant get on, etc. and agreed, this is worse than cod at this point. hopefully the healthy competition between war z and day z will benefit us and give us two awesome games. at this point, this games gotten so boring I cannot wait for war z. even if its quality isn't as good as dayz, it'll have chat at least and I wont feel like im playing a single player shootemup zombie apoc game

Servers can have side chat enabled. It destroys the point of feeling alone until you run into people though so im happy with it disabled. In my experience of DayZ since the mod began, iv come to the conclusion that it is pointless anyway. I mean, all that is ever said in global channels is "who is shooting in elektro/cherno", people arguing over pathetic things and going on about it for hours, breaking others immersion with their walls of text, and people bitching because someone killed them. That and it makes life a doddle for bandits while your telling your mate to meet you in stary, he sets up a sniper position and ruins your day.

• Like 11

Side-chat was a terrible idea for this type of game. Just like 3rd person. But kiddos who want it easier will flock to servers with them, and servers will implement it to get more people, and there will be very few servers that provide excellent immersion experience because of it.

• Like 6

everytime i was on the sservers i frequented with side chat, there was barely any chat like you described delta, it was people actually talking and helping eachother out. theres no multiplayer aspect. its ridiculously hard to teamup with others due to the fact noone uses direct comm. side chat encouraged teamwork on the servers i played on. we were actually able to have like 10 ppl grouped up and playing alongside eachother

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance, I started playing DayZ 2 weeks ago, but what exactly was "side chat"?

Also when I type something into the Global Channel, are people within the area I'm in (or within a certain minimum distance) the only ones that see it? If so, what is the required distance for someone to see it?

side chat and global chat are basically the same thing adversity. it was a means for people all across the map to communicate with eachother, not jsut within the 40m range of direct comm

• Like 1

Il agree it probably incouraged a bit more grouping. But also encouraged bandits to come and kill you just for the sheer fact that they dont wanna listen to you and a friend spamming "ok crawl", "town ahead" and such. I get what your saying mate but global did nothing but annoy me while it was active.

• Like 1

True. Side chat at least made the killing side of the game interesting. Now it's all one boring murderspree with a semi-psychotic detatchment since you can hardly communicate anytime anywhere without using Vent/TS/Etc. People who compare this to CoD are wrong. CoD at least lets you know who killed you and talk shit/get them back ;) Didn't expect to feel this way when I first started, but the immersion dies real quick once you start doing Heli/NWAF runs anyways.

It shouldn't have been there in the first place, why do you feel the need to be able to talk shit?

How does having people talk to you after they die or knowing who killed you help you staying immersed?

That doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

I'm with the group who saw it as immersion breaking. I also saw it as a technical nuisance. Random people going VOIP over side and then having to find them in the player list to mute. Seeing blue text braggarts constantly. I'm glad it's gone.

I do believe the game needs a "radio" system where users can tune to the same channel and communicate over long distances that way.

• Like 4

If side chat trash talking and "whos frng in cherno?" are really what made this game interesting and compelling for you, then I submit you are perhaps playing the wrong game.

• Like 2

i thought that servers have it off by default and the owners could if they so pleased to could activate side chat if they wanted. now im confused since about 30 people have told me this espicaly 3 server owners >.<

You can, but the servers will be delisted from the hive because modifying server files is against the rules. Rocket refuses to let server administrators run servers how they want to.

Il agree it probably incouraged a bit more grouping. But also encouraged bandits to come and kill you just for the sheer fact that they dont wanna listen to you and a friend spamming "ok crawl", "town ahead" and such. I get what your saying mate but global did nothing but annoy me while it was active.

I accually liked that also the traps and false promises it was a own sort of non shooting pvp ,smart people used it to their advantage.

I hope rocket works out a radio system fast I believe this is alot more important than doggies or fancy clothes.

Best thing I read where 3 very anoying bandits coordinating over side chat one of them via voice I had the pleasure to be near their psoition ...

Edited by Knollte

Let's turn Day Z into an autism simulator. Who needs to communicate with other people?

p. much this

I don't understand the argument put forward that people don't want to "listen" to it, you're not listening to it - you're reading it.. and seriously if you're that ADHD that you can't keep your eyes of the chat go see a doctor. It doesn't affect your game anyway with it enabled but affects the many who like it when it's disabled.

Global should've never been removed, rather, a clientside option to turn it off for the ADHD/anti-social crowd implemented. Everyone wins.

I'll accept that using mic over global is annoying. If global ever does come Rocket should fix that.

• Like 2

I hope rocket works out a radio system fast I believe this is alot more important than doggies or fancy clothes.

I can agree with this.

oh man, you fanboys are ridicoulous.

You are just the same that say this game is not a deathmatch and you have to search for a clan (using forums) to avoid to shoot on sight everyone.

However, once in a clan, you will use TEAMSPEAK or other voip program, to communicate.

Is this realism? I don't think so.

i won't use forums to join a group or will have a sort of magical telephatic communication such as skype to communicate with my friends.

I agree to set the side channel back.

Less KOS, more fun, feels like talking on a radio channel non-protected from bandits that can hear you and anticipate your moves in a realistic way.

• Like 3

I want i t back aswell. Played the awesome Zombie Apocalypse map (and an epic edit of it) in Arma 2 Free before buying the game and had a lot of fun with it, despite being pretty featureless.

DayZ has a shitlload of features, but i feel so lonely all the time! I want to be able to chat with others, share meeting places, vehicle locations etc. And no, i won't join a clan or regular group. I'm a solo player who wants to team up with random people i meet. Quite impossible currently, although the new old bandit skin makes things bit easier now.

Think of it as radio communication. Make it optional so players can switch it off if it annoys them.

Edited by eule
  • Like 1

I would rather perfer a CB system.. like have a CB radio as an item that you can loot and put into your tool belt.. You turn it on boom side channel. You turn it off no side channel. I think that would maintain immersion and fullfill all sides.

• Like 2