proxzor

Flying a helicopter in DayZ

So the last 2 hours i've been flying the UH-1H Huey and I can easily say I mastered flying, but my friends told me it is actually easier to land with this helicopter in DayZ. Is there a specific mission that I can try this on? I don't want to destroy our helicopter if its different than in the editor. Does anyone know what to do? Heading to bed now its 4 am..

Its roughly the same. Just be aware that landing on slopped ground will cause the chopper to fly wildly in 1 direction.

Auto-hover will be your best friend for the first few days of flying.

It's the exact same thing as the rest of the game, why would it be any different? Rocket sure as hell didn't dumb it down or something!

It's the exact same thing as the rest of the game' date=' why would it be any different? Rocket sure as hell didn't dumb it down or something!

[/quote']

A little bit of multiplayer lag thrown into the mix, for an inexperienced pilot,can be fatal. It is better to be on the ground wishing you we're in the air, than in the air wishing you we're on the ground.

I've launched ArmA II and tried the Helicopter tutorials. It's a lot harder then BF3! Once I've got it though it should be easy. Though I need to find a chopper now...

Try out the tutorials - Attack Helicopter / Transporter Helicopter

I've launched ArmA II and tried the Helicopter tutorials. It's a lot harder then BF3! Once I've got it though it should be easy. Though I need to find a chopper now...

Try out the tutorials - Attack Helicopter / Transporter Helicopter

Tip: Don't even touch the mouse until you're very comfortable flying with the keyboard. I've been playing ARMA for over a year, and this is the number one tip most new pilots in my group we're given.

The mouse is great for gun runs in an attack helicopter, but causes inexperienced pilots to eat dirt.

Edit: Open up the editor and place a helicopter on a map, rather than trying to push through missions. Much easier.

a neat little trick, get an altitude of ~500 and do a backflip in the huey to stop quickly

i can't remember what i was going to post, but rest assured it had something to do with helicopters.

Helicopters were what originally drew me to the ArmA series. I came from flying the arcadey helicopters in Battlefield 2, and although ArmA's helicopter sim is a bit arcadey itself, it's definitely a hell of a lot more realistic than any other combined arms game I've ever played.

Give it some time, master it, and you will truly enjoy the ArmA series. I just load up the editor and fly a helo around just for the hell of it sometimes.

Hopefully ArmA3 will incorporate the Take On Helicopters flight model!

The DayZ huey is in the editor btw. Under 'Civilian' I think...or maybe...I can't remember exactly, but it's there in it's own sub group by itself.

Empty -> Air -> UH-1H (Takistani locals)

Identical to UH-1H Takistani Army except OD green instead of camouflaged.

flying helis is easy. just reassign the keys to your liking, but most importantly set "nose up" to a keyboard button. that way you have maximum input and can pull off tight turns that would otherwise be impossible with a mouse.

autohover is for noobs.

If you have a multiple buttons mouse,try to have the "brakes" on it.

Rule number one when flying: know how to do an emergency landing!

I don't care if you use auto-hover to take-off and land, or it takes 10 minutes to land on a square feet... The only think you MUST know is how to land a chopper safely when it's out of fuel and/or damaged.

Eg. yesterday I was playing an ARMA2 domination match with some friends on a public server and was flying a Huey to transport troops from our base to a secure LZ near our objective. When we where near the LZ we got hit by an AA gun which destroyed the tail rotor and all I could hear over the radio was "OMG we're gonna die!".

I killed the engine, asked my co-pilot to find a good landing spot (note: a good co-pilot is just as important as a good pilot!) and I flew the damn thing as a plane to the new landing area. It was a bumpy ride, the chopper was damaged beyond repair, but we all stepped out without any injuries and were able to help the troops at the objective.

So, if you want to be a chopper pilot; train off-line (in Armory or by using the editor) and try the following things:

- fly up to 400 meters, speed up to 200km/h and kill your engines. Now land safely...

- do the above at lower speeds (steps of 50km/h)

- do the above at lower altitudes (steps of 50m)

this will train you how to land a chopper without fuel or engine breakdown.

Next; you can use the editor (or a friend on a private online match) to break parts of the chopper, like a main rotor and the tail rotor. And do the same thing without crashing.

On youtube you can find a lot of videos which can explain exactly how to do this, and it will not only safe your life but also the lives of the other soldiers in the back.

• Like 1

Far as I know, ArmA3 will use the flight improvements from Take On, indeed.

A2 does have a very good system for a game that doesn't focus specifically on helicopters, but if you've tried Take On, you'll know exactly how much better it can get.

It took me a long time to learn how to safely land with an inoperable main rotor in A2, but Take On just made so much more sense with the way it handles auto-rotation.

I set up my controls like BF3 Choppers and flew around on the armoury. I did a lot of the taxi challenges and I feel fairly confident in my ability to fly a chopper in Dayz.

http://i.imgur.com/FfnLt.jpg

If you play BF3 a lot this might help you get the controls down a bit.

I just make my own private Armoury Server on ARMA 2 and fly there.

Why did you bump a thread from months ago?

Tip: Don't even touch the mouse until you're very comfortable flying with the keyboard. I've been playing ARMA for over a year, and this is the number one tip most new pilots in my group we're given.

The mouse is great for gun runs in an attack helicopter, but causes inexperienced pilots to eat dirt.

Edit: Open up the editor and place a helicopter on a map, rather than trying to push through missions. Much easier.

I'm the opposite.

I've been playing Arma 2 for years and can't stand flying without the mouse, unless I'm landing and need to make some precise movements close to a helipad.

Armory's my jam, but whenever I load it up to practice flying choppers, I wind up in the A-10 for an hour. If it wasn't ideologically incompatible, I'd want airplanes in DayZ. Frickin' laser-guided bombs, man. ArmA2's pretty sweet.

I got a thrustmaster hands on throttle and stick makes the flying fun and realistic. Practice diving and pulling out and notice how much room you need to pull out.