Sign in to follow this  
Jorden

Benefits for being in group

I was thinking to myself, if we want a positive outcome to eliminating this deathmatch issue many complain about, we could have different benefits when working in a group.

First off, meeting with other players and being able to join a team together would be a good mechanic. Being able to right click, or choose from a radial system and add them to teams would be a simple and useful route if possible.

Alright, in terms of the benefits, these were just some I was thinking off the top of my head:

1) Blood regeneration.

---Now, this could be more classified as a sort of "happiness" mechanic. Working in teams could cause the characters to have a more positive mood, increasing their ability to survive.

2) Increased loot system

---I was thinking, if possible, that if a group was to approach a town with loot spawning in, it would be increased to make up for the amount of players. Now this could go two ways: It could be beneficial to work in groups and some might approve of this strategy. The other factor would be, people want a more gritty system and want to keep the old loot system without teams, and just have teams scavenging as much as they can and have to share what they can.

3) Team arm bands

---Now most servers turn off nametags, making the ability to tell friend or foe next to impossible without constant communication. A system that sets a small arm band with a team color could help with that identification. This could in turn be noticed by another team of a different color, and lead to new types of conflicts between survivors.

Any other suggestions for teams/groups you guys could think of?

I like #3. Should add that in order to get the team armband/Bandana/Legband, have to be given by the team leader. It would take away from the realism feel perhaps if one guy dies and is coming back to you, and you could easily tell friendly from the scope of your cz.

I was thinking to myself' date=' if we want a positive outcome to eliminating this deathmatch issue many complain about, we could have different benefits when working in a group.

First off, meeting with other players and being able to join a team together would be a good mechanic. Being able to right click, or choose from a radial system and add them to teams would be a simple and useful route if possible.

Alright, in terms of the benefits, these were just some I was thinking off the top of my head:

1) Blood regeneration.

---Now, this could be more classified as a sort of "happiness" mechanic. Working in teams could cause the characters to have a more positive mood, increasing their ability to survive.

2) Increased loot system

---I was thinking, if possible, that if a group was to approach a town with loot spawning in, it would be increased to make up for the amount of players. Now this could go two ways: It could be beneficial to work in groups and some might approve of this strategy. The other factor would be, people want a more gritty system and want to keep the old loot system without teams, and just have teams scavenging as much as they can and have to share what they can.

3) Team arm bands

---Now most servers turn off nametags, making the ability to tell friend or foe next to impossible without constant communication. A system that sets a small arm band with a team color could help with that identification. This could in turn be noticed by another team of a different color, and lead to new types of conflicts between survivors.

Any other suggestions for teams/groups you guys could think of?

[/quote']

I hate to be the first to reply to such a thread but the genuine benefit to joining up is simply strength in numbers. Most of the 50 or so players on a server are going to be solo. As a solo player another solo player might look like a tempting target. Not so much when they are travelling with one or more associates. I *always* try to team up with at least one and most of the time it is someone I don't know from Adam. Sometimes they shoot me in the back for my can of beans, other times they end up on my Mumble server and we play together happily ever after. To me it's worth the risk.

My opinion is that the game should never tell the character (you) how it feels. Blood regeneration because of character happiness or mood would feel very gamey. It isn't needed, since I as a player will be happy by myself when playing with a group since I will feel safer etc. It's the same reason I don't like the panic effects. If I panic when I play that's fine, but my character shouldn't do it on his own.

The physical effects like hunger is another thing because they don't affect me the same way IRL.

More loot would also feel pretty unrealistic... if you want more loot for yourself, go on your own.

The last thing about group identification I can agree with. Some way to customize you and your friends would be great if designed the right way!

As already said groups are already vastly supperior in strenght, plus if you play as a clan/community you can already design Squad XML logos for your vehicles and some uniforms(not sure about DayZ clothing).

It would be cool to have some kind of way to distinguish yourself as a member of a particular group.

right, i like the idea of adding people to a team if only we had a system to make teams this would be great!

how about something like this:

scaled.php?server=217&filename=commorose1.png&res=landing

you aim at the player you want to add, then click "add to team" and it will add that player to a slot. for the removal of players from your team click "remove player" then click the desired slot to remove that player from.

* just remove the carebare player names (like hardcore servers), and only have them shown when you are a member of that team.

^just an idea.