TheMachine

Totally lost any faith I had in Rocket/dev team

I'm an indie developer with a team of 4 other people. We are self employeed and self funded. I am the project director and fund manager, as well as lead artist and mechanic designer.

Calling me a whining asshole? That's rich. Read your post again, whining about me whining... fucking hypocrite.

If moving to beta is so dumb, then why has Rocket skipped that part and started the standalone already? Because he realises that what I'm saying (as well as many many others have been saying) is correct. The mod is pretty much unfixable, and will never ever BE fixed. He SHOULD however, stop adding shit, fix the bugs then let us have some FUN while he makes the SERIOUS version of the game. Go ahead, tell me how I'm wrong etc, I really don't give a fuck.

You keep saying your a game developer. You have your own team. ETC. ETC. ETC. Then you make comments like this and it makes me wonder.

Why? Because he hasn't skipped anything. He didn't skip beta. He went from a mod that was in Alpha...to a stand alone game that is now in the pre-alpha stage. You're right the mod will never be 'fixed' because there are a lot of things that he has limited control of with it being a mod. By going to standalone he's able to, in theory, resolve those. Its not like he's going from alpha testing to full release, skipping over the beta testing. He's going from alpha with one engine/platform to pre-alpha with a completely different engine and platform.

And why should he not continue to add new things to the alpha? Why should he not be testing out ideas and concepts via the mod before implementing them in the stand alone? That's really the whole point of the mod and the alpha phase.

I'm not trashtalking the competition... I'm fed up with the (99%, there are some of you I love and adore!) dickhead community that fills this jackass shit-hole up... and the frustration is bleeding over to the dev team who take a month to release a patch that breaks more shit than it fixes... IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

Also, I'll PM you some stuff you can check out, if you like.

Actually you are trashtalking with your claims of 90% bug free alpha test, comparing a stand alone with your own engine to a mod who's main flaws are with the engine its modding and saying yours is better, and saying the dev team isn't releasing patches fast enough, and so on and so forth. And then lets not forget your claims that your game will be soooo much better than DayZ later in the thread.

All in all? It seems like mostly you're just ego stroking yourself with your 'look at me i'm so much better than Rocket because I say so. Please ignore all the contradictions I make between my posts and my lack of knowledge of the sdlc, how development works, Rockets stated goals, or anything else relating to anything relevant in the thread. Anyone who supports dayz is a asshole jerkfase.' attitude.

Personally am I happy with some of the bugs? Heck no. Are there things I want fixed? Yes. Am I upset that the patch, that hasn't officially been released, hasn't entirely fixed my graphical glitches? Somewhat. On the other hand I realize what state the games in. I realize the state of the engine it was built on. I realize that DayZ is not a stand alone game, thus inherits the underlying flaws of the engine it was built on. I realize what Rocket's stated intentions are and where he is going with things. I realize what the alpha phase is for. That doesn't mean I agree with everything Rocket does. That also doesn't mean I like all of his ideas for things to add. Ontop of all of that...I enjoy the game in general, and support it.

Will you make a good game that I will enjoy when you finally announce and release yours? I have not a clue. My instincts after reading all your posts is that no...no I will not for a variety of reasons. First being your statement that 'some games aren't ever finished like mine'. That leads me to believe that you'll fall into the same development cycle traps that DNF fell into. Other things that worry me include your boasts about a game that sounds no where near finished as being the best, and will blow DayZ out of the water, your talk of what positions you're filling for the team which have very little to do, if anything, with writing actual code, and your seeming lack of knowledge of the SDLC. And all of those things don't even touch on your 'people won't like it because Minecraft Graphics' bit...

But good luck to you.

Blow it out your ass...

I'm a game developer asshole. Alpha does not mean, break it more with every patch. My alpha is currently 90% bug free... and the bugs that DO exist are MINOR. They don't generate massive artifacts that block the entire fucking screen so you can't see anything, then make you log back in 15km away from where you were because you logged out to fix it. It also doesn't eat your inventory for random reasons at random times when it randomly feels the fuck like it. Inevitably making the game unplayable...

Stop using the "it's alpha" argument, since YOU are the one who clearly doesn't understand "what alpha means".

Fuck sakes.

Alpha = add shit

Beta = fix shit

I'm saying, MOVE TO BETA. The standalone game is already being worked on, which means there should be NO MORE FEATURE ADDING to the mod!

Learn to fucking READ.

Any programmer worth anything, will at least do a test compile on his code, since it takes about 5 fucking seconds. This is the epitome of LAZINESS.

~Sol

I'm glad you understand what an alpha is. But if you can look at DayZ now and say "I think this is enough to make a pretty good game, lets move on to bug fixing", then I predict your own game will be a stunning failure. The mod is nowhere close to being ready for beta.

Where I started to unjustifiably call someone names.

Just because I see a belligerent asshole, then point my finger and vocalise it... doesn't make me the bad guy.

If you think that makes me a douchebag for not taking someone's shit, then hail to you, because you must be Jesus fucking Christ.

~Sol

I think SadPanda was looking for this, your very first post on this thread:

I agree with OP. 99% of the rest of you are simply spoiled brats and/or rocket fanboys.

OP is right... this was never even tested, not even for 2 seconds. Reminding me of another Notch here... The mod is done and dusted, and standalone has started. Fix the mod and stop adding more dumb shit to it.

~Sol

Yeah, so you started being a dick from the beginning. In a very childish way I might add. "I'm right and everyone who disagrees with me is a dookie head"

~Carebear Baddie

The only thing that is wrong with this new patch is that it was freaking late and it did not fix the graphic glitches. Those should have been fixed as soon as possible. Maybe just go with the old patch since it was not broken earlier. But now its ok and not impossible to play I guess.

I wouldn't be so annoyed if Rocket would stop getting sidetracked with adding new features. There are 573 open bugs on the bug tracker. Stop introducing new "features" that will probably break even more shit, and concentrate on fixing the current bugs.

I wouldn't be so annoyed if Rocket would stop getting sidetracked with adding new features. There are 573 open bugs on the bug tracker. Stop introducing new "features" that will probably break even more shit, and concentrate on fixing the current bugs.

Holy sweet motherfucking potatoes. How many fucking times does it have to be explained to you mouth-breathers? The point to an Alpha is not fucking bug fixing. It is precisely to "get sidetracked adding new features." That is why Alpha exists. It is the phase in which many new features are quickly added, tested, tweaked and scrapped without regard to 100% reliability, stability, functionality, bug fixing or performance optimizations.

If you want a team focused on fixing bugs and making the game more stable then shut the fuck up, go the fuck away, and come back when the game is in fucking Beta.

Jesus flipping Christ it's like a circus in here.

• Like 3

Holy sweet motherfucking potatoes. How many fucking times does it have to be explained to you mouth-breathers? The point to an Alpha is not fucking bug fixing. It is precisely to "get sidetracked adding new features." That is why Alpha exists. It is the phase in which many new features are quickly added, tested, tweaked and scrapped without regard to 100% reliability, stability, functionality, bug fixing or performance optimizations.

If you want a team focused on fixing bugs and making the game more stable then shut the fuck up, go the fuck away, and come back when the game is in fucking Beta.

Beans for calling him a mouth-breather. If I could give you more beans for that post I would.

-snip-

Money says DayZ mod never sees beta. I say he skipped it, but I should have said "I bet it gets skipped".

The reason he should stop adding things, is simple... it's not built for it, the engine is stretched beyond belief so far as it is, and adding more shit is causing more problems than it's worth.

I never said my engine was better, at all.

I said my game will (hopefully) be better... not that it is or will be... though I don't see anything wrong with being positive.

I never said patches weren't fast enough as well, ever... where are you reading this shit from?

Again, I never claimed to be better than Rocket, and I certainly didn't "say so". I'm not even upset with Rocket, but I can see where he's going wrong in several areas... perhaps not wrong, but wasting his time that could be better spent working on things that are clearly more important. Do you really think I'm just talking shit? Go read every 3rd thread on the forums and tell me I'm wrong about it...

I never said that "some games aren't finished like mine...", I said "some games have no start or finish..." meaning the typical AAA formula for making what a big studio, or the "way things are" define a game.

I also don't get how you know anything about my knowledge base, since I have not demonstrated what knowledge I have, or lack. I know exactly how the systems development life cycle works... It's amazing you can "tell" I don't know this stuff because a bunch of people online pissed me off with their horrible attitudes. I also fail to see why my personality should affect my "job" or my "hobby"... like, if you're a cunt and I hate you, you mustn't be a brain surgeon... and if you are you must suck. Get real.

Lastly, I'm hardly boasting. I'm just giving the facts, since a bunch of people think I'm full of shit for whatever reason (jealousy? I have no fucking idea). If they sound really good, it's probably because they are? Should I just lie and make shit up so I don't sound too egotistical? Fuck no... on the note of "sounding like I don't know code" or whatever you said exactly... I'm not a mathematician, but I understand code and have made many algorithms myself for various tasks. Again, I wonder how you have so much precise insight into my level of knowledge, what I think, and how I work as a human being. I think I missed that class in bullshit school.

I'm glad you understand what an alpha is. But if you can look at DayZ now and say "I think this is enough to make a pretty good game, lets move on to bug fixing", then I predict your own game will be a stunning failure. The mod is nowhere close to being ready for beta.

Yeah, so you started being a dick from the beginning. In a very childish way I might add. "I'm right and everyone who disagrees with me is a dookie head"

~Carebear Baddie

Wow you read things I don't type as well... you're as bad as my wife, hearing shit I don't say.

"I think this is enough to make a pretty good game, lets move on to bug fixing"... more like "shit keeps breaking because this engine is fucked, and you want to make standalone anyway... stop wasting time, dickhead."

On your last comment, who cares? You're trolling your ass off in your post to me like some smart-asswipe by signing your name on the end like it's supposed to mock me. Go pull up the 10,000 other wankers here that outright insult people to their faces, with far worse than calling them a fanboy, or spoiled. If you're just trying to prove a point, then congratulations, I'm human! Better not fuck up, because Ill be there to point at it non stop and make loud noises to draw everyone's attention just so they can see how wrong you were. Good fucking lord.

If anyone else is going to reply to me, having a dig just to be a jerkoff, I'll report you for harassment to the moderation team, simple as that. You want to ask questions or debate something besides how much of a "douchebag I am" or whether or not I'm "REALLY a game developer" then go ahead. Again, I couldn't give a shit what your personal opinion is of me, because I don't know you from a bar of soap.... the same as you don't know me (and don't for one second, think that you do).

Enough is enough, again this is the DayZ forums, not the Sol forums.

~Sol

Edited by Sol

Hold on, let me paraphrase your post.

P23qM.jpg

There we go. That's better.

Edited by drmantistoboggan

Does the 'dayz forum team' do anything except post sarcastic remarks on threads that criticise rocket?

You think a bunch of volunteer forum moderators are assisting rocket and his "team" of developers with testing patches before he/"they" realease them to the public?

You are a dumb sh!t whiney little bastard of a weasel. If you think so lowly of this game/developers and feey that "they" arent developing the game in a way that best suits you then Go play some Diablo3.

Alphas are for fixing core, game-breaking bugs. I'm not sure where you idiots got the idea that alphas are for introducing features that break shit and ignoring/failing to fix previously broken shit.

• Like 1

Wow you read things I don't type as well... you're as bad as my wife, hearing shit I don't say.

"I think this is enough to make a pretty good game, lets move on to bug fixing"... more like "shit keeps breaking because this engine is fucked, and you want to make standalone anyway... stop wasting time, dickhead."

That's a dumb reason to move to beta. Doesn't make sense either, dont know why you thought I or anyone else (who understands what an aplha is) would assume thats what you meant.

On your last comment, who cares? You're trolling your ass off in your post to me like some smart-asswipe by signing your name on the end like it's supposed to mock me. Go pull up the 10,000 other wankers here that outright insult people to their faces, with far worse than calling them a fanboy, or spoiled. If you're just trying to prove a point, then congratulations, I'm human! Better not fuck up, because Ill be there to point at it non stop and make loud noises to draw everyone's attention just so they can see how wrong you were. Good fucking lord.

If anyone else is going to reply to me, having a dig just to be a jerkoff, I'll report you for harassment to the moderation team, simple as that. You want to ask questions or debate something besides how much of a "douchebag I am" or whether or not I'm "REALLY a game developer" then go ahead. Again, I couldn't give a shit what your personal opinion is of me, because I don't know you from a bar of soap.... the same as you don't know me (and don't for one second, think that you do).

Enough is enough, again this is the DayZ forums, not the Sol forums.

~Sol

lol, it obviously worked. Anyway, I dont care if you're a dick. In case you haven't picked up on it, I'm kinda a dick too. Just dont go pull that "Everyone else started it" bullshit.

Alphas are for fixing core, game-breaking bugs. I'm not sure where you idiots got the idea that alphas are for introducing features that break shit and ignoring/failing to fix previously broken shit.

Wrong, alphas are for adding content while keeping the game as stable as possible. Beta is for bug fixes.

That's a dumb reason to move to beta. Doesn't make sense either, dont know why you thought I or anyone else (who understands what an aplha is) would assume thats what you meant.

Because that's what I said?

lol, it obviously worked. Anyway, I dont care if you're a dick. In case you haven't picked up on it, I'm kinda a dick too. Just dont go pull that "Everyone else started it" bullshit.
It wasn't a case of "everyone else started it"... it was a case of "shut the fuck up, I wasn't talking to you" when Panda jumped in and started insulting me when he had nothing to do with it... this forum needs less White Knights.

Wrong, alphas are for adding content while keeping the game as stable as possible. Beta is for bug fixes.

Not wrong, but not entirely right. You're both right.

The "keeping the game stable" bit refers to not letting absolutely game demolishing bugs to render it unplayable by the vast majority of your testers.

~Sol

Maybe they will add 'Flying Pigs' to the Alpha before a standalone game...

some of you talk about a full standalone game coming soon as if you know something we all don't?

Because that's what I said?

Fuck sakes.

Alpha = add shit

Beta = fix shit

I'm saying, MOVE TO BETA. The standalone game is already being worked on, which means there should be NO MORE FEATURE ADDING to the mod!

Still seems to me that you were saying all the features that all the features are there.

It wasn't a case of "everyone else started it"... it was a case of "shut the fuck up, I wasn't talking to you" when Panda jumped in and started insulting me when he had nothing to do with it... this forum needs less White Knights.

Where I started to unjustifiably call someone names.

Just because I see a belligerent asshole, then point my finger and vocalise it... doesn't make me the bad guy.

If you think that makes me a douchebag for not taking someone's shit, then hail to you, because you must be Jesus fucking Christ.

~Sol

Also also still seems like you were employing the everyone else started it excuse. But w/e.

Not wrong, but not entirely right. You're both right.

The "keeping the game stable" bit refers to not letting absolutely game demolishing bugs to render it unplayable by the vast majority of your testers.

~Sol

Eh, fair enough.

I find it funny when people bust out the "This is a free mod, you didn't pay for it" line, because from looking at the skyrocketing sales for ArmA2, it seems that most people only bought it to play DayZ. If only the people who already had ArmA2 played this mod, I imagine it would definitely not have been as popular. Telling people they didn't pay for DayZ is almost like saying "Even though buying Arma2 has supported DayZ a great deal, you shouldn't have bothered". That's before we even get on to the people who just simply don't understand (for whatever reason) that this mod is free and not the responsibility of Bohemia, or the concept of an Alpha build. Rocket does work for BI, he might not earn direct money from DayZ (yet), but he is getting a wage from them. Everyone else is a volunteer/friend helping out for free, which i'm cool with, it's nice of them, but that fact should not be used against people as an excuse for certain behaviour/comments. Similarly, no normal member has any excuse for being a douche.

The DayZ community is pretty disappointing. I've been around a few message boards and this is definitely one of the worst for overall atmosphere. No one can say anything at all about anything to anyone, as it'll only ever be met with open hostility. Sure, no one is holding a gun to this guys head and forcing him to play, but no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to read this thread and post a useless reply. It certainly doesn't help the "Oh this thread again" cause if you keep responding to each of them.

Alphas are testing grounds, but I do agree that each subsequent version should improve, not make things worse, that's how development should work (should, but doesn't always, I understand). Adding new variables, like recently bear traps, can re-break the mod, but there should be some degree of testing whether or not the community is complaining. If Rocket wants the standalone to follow the 'Minecraft Model' and have it be a success, he can't keep taking 2 steps forward, 10 steps back on each patch, regardless of the size of 'team'. We're doing virtually all the alpha testing as players, which I am sure provides tonnes of data and feedback for them to work with, but the development really needs to step up to ensure a quality first standalone release.

When a patch breaks the mod, I take a break, I haven't played it in almost a fortnight because of recent problems/hackers. That's cool with me, I have other games I can play in the mean time so I don't sit around and feel like i've paid for something I can't play. If you are desperate to play, then you'll have to grin and bear it unfortunately. If you can stand to take a break like me, then find something else to do. If you can't stand it anymore, you know what to do, but I won't berate you for any of your choices, nor will I deny you a moan thread. What use is there in arguing (not debating) and fighting? Save it for the NW Airfield!

tl;dr: Stay chill.

*Awaits negative/disagreement/don't tell me what to do responses with a nice, cold beer* B)

Edited by Adache
  • Like 4

Still seems to me that you were saying all the features that all the features are there.

Yeah, you kind of had to piece together stuff I said across a few posts. I tend to not be overly descriptive about stuff that's not really relevant to the topic... I should have been more clear but you know, most people only read what they want anyway.

Also also still seems like you were employing the everyone else started it excuse. But w/e.

I was implying that if anyone was to have anything to say, it would be the guy I called an asshole... but that was after him insulting my intelligence by acting like he knows something I don't. I can't stand arrogance in knowledge. I NEVER put anyone down for not knowing something... and I certainly don;t tell them that they don't know what they're talking about unless they have already demonstrated that they don't.

Eh, fair enough.

Touche'

~Sol

Hahaha these threads just crack me up every time. It's an alpha. Rocket is one man. Don't like it? Don't play it and don't bitch about it.

I just love how these little kids think they know the first thing about making a real game. Try it yourself then come back to me.

And before you ask, I do know what I'm talking about as I am an experienced programmer.

Knowing HTML doesn't make you an experienced programmer you twat.

The entire point of this mod was not to be perfect and excellent for all players, it was just to be enough to get a large following and eventually picked up by Bohemia Interactive or some other company, a goal which they did achieve. They don't really care about this mod anymore, its just a side project ready to be cast to the side. Now that they are working with real programmers they might be able to make a fully functional game and maybe learn to be better programmers, we can only hope for that much. This mod will just get worse and worse as they focus less and less energy on the mod. They used to focus alot of energy into the mod but they always used their scarce resources on the wrong shit. Game break duping bug? Lets fucking disable respawning instead of fixing that! I hope being in a real team might straighten them up if they don't get fired.

• Like 1

Knowing HTML doesn't make you an experienced programmer you twat.

The entire point of this mod was not to be perfect and excellent for all players, it was just to be enough to get a large following and eventually picked up by Bohemia Interactive or some other company, a goal which they did achieve. They don't really care about this mod anymore, its just a side project ready to be cast to the side. Now that they are working with real programmers they might be able to make a fully functional game and maybe learn to be better programmers, we can only hope for that much. This mod will just get worse and worse as they focus less and less energy on the mod. They used to focus alot of energy into the mod but they always used their scarce resources on the wrong shit. Game break duping bug? Lets fucking disable respawning instead of fixing that! I hope being in a real team might straighten them up if they don't get fired.

I couldn't agree more.

I pretty much tried to say the same thing you just did a few pages back... not sure if you want to even read that shit but, prepare to (most likely) have your asshole torn apart and replaced.

~Sol

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more.

I pretty much tried to say the same thing you just did a few pages back... not sure if you want to even read that shit but, prepare to (most likely) have your asshole torn apart and replaced.

~Sol

What are a bunch of kids on the internet going to do? Hahaha, this community is shit to be honest and I am waiting for it to fall through the ground and the mod shortly thereafter. Maybe the stand alone will do better, but like I said, they need to get some real programmers on the job first...

Cheers!

What are a bunch of kids on the internet going to do? Hahaha, this community is shit to be honest and I am waiting for it to fall through the ground and the mod shortly thereafter. Maybe the stand alone will do better, but like I said, they need to get some real programmers on the job first...

Cheers!

In before someone accuses you of being my alternate account or some shit.

~Sol

Yeah, you kind of had to piece together stuff I said across a few posts. I tend to not be overly descriptive about stuff that's not really relevant to the topic... I should have been more clear but you know, most people only read what they want anyway.

Fair enough.

I was implying that if anyone was to have anything to say, it would be the guy I called an asshole... but that was after him insulting my intelligence by acting like he knows something I don't. I can't stand arrogance in knowledge. I NEVER put anyone down for not knowing something... and I certainly don;t tell them that they don't know what they're talking about unless they have already demonstrated that they don't.

Come on, there you go with the "someone else started it" stuff again. Need I remind you how your first post in the thread went?

I'm the asshole btw. And in my defence, it seemed to me that you were just another idiot like 90% of the people who whine on this forum. Plus I was high on saying the word alpha and wanted to say it again. Like I do now. Alpha.

I keep spawning on the fucking coast with all my shit, keep having to run back to the airfiled. i have had it with this game.

Three times today I have run from the coast to NE airfield, Rocket must be on a fitness drive, making all us fat buggers run so much!

Fair enough.

Come on, there you go with the "someone else started it" stuff again. Need I remind you how your first post in the thread went?

I'm the asshole btw. And in my defence, it seemed to me that you were just another idiot like 90% of the people who whine on this forum. Plus I was high on saying the word alpha and wanted to say it again. Like I do now. Alpha.

My first post was a generalization of some fairly harmless things to call people. I wasn't directly attacking anyone, and making it personal. I can't help it if someone felt they were in that category and had to rebut based on emotional discourse... resulting in a personal attack that I simply defended myself from by stating facts.... only then to have my integrity questioned, then dragged through an interrogation process where every tiny thing I said was nit-picked until it was sub-microscopic and a flaw could be found.... all of which amounts to me calling someone a fanboy? HOLY FUCK!

Can we agree that I didn't deserve to be treated like a piece of shit, for saying that? Or is that the final basis for this entire bullshit argument?

~Sol

Edited by Sol