TheMachine

Totally lost any faith I had in Rocket/dev team

Why even roll out a patch that isn't tested in the slightest?

Not sure if you understand this, but it is being tested, right now. We (the players) are the testers, we're testing the alpha patch to see if it works before it's added to the game.

Don't know why this is so hard for kids to understand.

Edited by xFortune

Yay, more people who dont know what an alpha is, so I can keep writing the word aplha.

Its an alpha. Learn what an alpha is.

Blow it out your ass...

I'm a game developer asshole. Alpha does not mean, break it more with every patch. My alpha is currently 90% bug free... and the bugs that DO exist are MINOR. They don't generate massive artifacts that block the entire fucking screen so you can't see anything, then make you log back in 15km away from where you were because you logged out to fix it. It also doesn't eat your inventory for random reasons at random times when it randomly feels the fuck like it. Inevitably making the game unplayable...

Stop using the "it's alpha" argument, since YOU are the one who clearly doesn't understand "what alpha means".

Fuck sakes.

Alpha = add shit

Beta = fix shit

I'm saying, MOVE TO BETA. The standalone game is already being worked on, which means there should be NO MORE FEATURE ADDING to the mod!

Learn to fucking READ.

Not sure if you understand this, but it is being tested, right now. We (the players) are the testers, we're testing the alpha patch to see if it works before it's added to the game.

Don't know why this is so hard for kids to understand.

Any programmer worth anything, will at least do a test compile on his code, since it takes about 5 fucking seconds. This is the epitome of LAZINESS.

~Sol

Edited by Sol

I agree with OP. 99% of the rest of you are simply spoiled brats and/or rocket fanboys.

OP is right... this was never even tested, not even for 2 seconds. Reminding me of another Notch here... The mod is done and dusted, and standalone has started. Fix the mod and stop adding more dumb shit to it.

~Sol

So you think Rocket went, oh dear all the kiddies on the forum are moaning that we havent released a patch on time. FK it lets just upload whatever we can even if its untested and hope they don't notice.

Hmmm. Either thats true and Rocket doesn't know what he is doing OR they did test it on all the machines they had available and then released it thinking it was fixed but a number of us have still got glitches or bugs.. he doesnt have thousands of test machines and we are his testers.

God I could imagine alot of people on these forums getting a job as a games tester, could you imagine them come tuesday afternoon, quietly playing the game and boom... they find a bug. Do they A) make a note of the bug and how it happened with details etc or B) throw ALL of his toys out of the pram, go shout at the programmer that he is a lazy s.o.b and how dare he get the tester to play this buggy piece of crap and then the tester vows to never play the game again....

Blow it out your ass...

I'm a game developer asshole. Alpha does not mean, break it more with every patch. My alpha is currently 90% bug free... and the bugs that DO exist are MINOR. They don't generate massive artifacts that block the entire fucking screen so you can't see anything, then make you log back in 15km away from where you were because you logged out to fix it. It also doesn't eat your inventory for random reasons at random times when it randomly feels the fuck like it. Inevitably making the game unplayable...

Stop using the "it's alpha" argument, since YOU are the one who clearly doesn't understand "what alpha means".

Fuck sakes.

Alpha = add shit

Beta = fix shit

I'm saying, MOVE TO BETA. The standalone game is already being worked on, which means there should be NO MORE FEATURE ADDING to the mod!

Learn to fucking READ.

Any programmer worth anything, will at least do a test compile on his code, since it takes about 5 fucking seconds. This is the epitome of LAZINESS.

~Sol

So are you working on a mod that sits off the back of another game and cannot change the fundemental code of said game?

And why the hell move to Beta when he is using the alpha to see what features add to gameplay and what doesnt. If he goes to beta now people will complain that the game is just PVP as there isnt enough to do......

I really dont think I want to play your game if the post above is your attitude..

I also think your explanation of alpha and beta is ..... flawed and bear in mind he is ADDING SHIT...he keeps adding features and then working out the kinks

I wonder if Rocket wakes up and goes " I let all these people have early access to this game... was I a fool?"

So you think Rocket went, oh dear all the kiddies on the forum are moaning that we havent released a patch on time. FK it lets just upload whatever we can even if its untested and hope they don't notice.

Hmmm. Either thats true and Rocket doesn't know what he is doing OR they did test it on all the machines they had available and then released it thinking it was fixed but a number of us have still got glitches or bugs.. he doesnt have thousands of test machines and we are his testers.

God I could imagine alot of people on these forums getting a job as a games tester, could you imagine them come tuesday afternoon, quietly playing the game and boom... they find a bug. Do they A) make a note of the bug and how it happened with details etc or B) throw ALL of his toys out of the pram, go shout at the programmer that he is a lazy s.o.b and how dare he get the tester to play this buggy piece of crap and then the tester vows to never play the game again....

You don't need THOUSANDS of machines to test something as simple as a corrupted model. You need to hire a descent model maker... end of story.

It's also obvious that it's not been tested at all, since these problems were immediately obvious with more than 90% of the player base, moments after the pre-patch was made available.

Was I expecting any different to what happened? Sadly no... I knew this would happen, and waited for the shitstorm to ensue. This, if anything, is helping me tremendously since my project is in direct competition with DayZ and the more team rocket fucks this up, the more fanboys I'll have to endlessly suck my epeen when my patches don't make the game 10x worse with each update.

I can't wait to see what bullshit happens next... bitten by the new dog that get's added, teleport to the fucking MOON?

So are you working on a mod that sits off the back of another game and cannot change the fundemental code of said game?

And why the hell move to Beta when he is using the alpha to see what features add to gameplay and what doesnt. If he goes to beta now people will complain that the game is just PVP as there isnt enough to do......

I really dont think I want to play your game if the post above is your attitude..

I also think your explanation of alpha and beta is ..... flawed and bear in mind he is ADDING SHIT...he keeps adding features and then working out the kinks

I wonder if Rocket wakes up and goes " I let all these people have early access to this game... was I a fool?"

I really couldn't give a shit if you want to play my game or not... chances are though, you will.

I also don't give two flying knobs of goat shit what you or anyone else thinks of my P.R. skills either... I'm frankly sick to death of the inane excuses made by the kids-of-today, and the total lack of respect for anyone elses opinion. In my day, it wasn't called "trolling" it was called "being a fucking dickhead"... you want to play games? I'll show you how it was done in my day, mate.

*EDIT*

My game is written from scratch... 100% engine built from the ground up. I'm not stupid enough to build a mod on top of some shoddy engine that has never worked good from day dot... Operation Flashpoint was the buggiest POS ever, and nothing much has changed. I wonder how BI is even still around?

~Sol

Edited by Sol

Mod runs pretty good for me, bit of artifacting once in a while, and yeah, there is a cheating/exploit issue, but I still play it and love it. The pros far outweigh the cons here. Keep up the good work Rocket! DayZ has offered some of the best game play I've ever experienced.

Ok hands up anyone who thinks rocket didnt test the game, or if you think he should release a patch daily, or you don't like the fact its an alpha and has glitches or want to complain how much it cost you and its still buggy

All those with your hands up, please go outside and let the big boys play the game!

For some individuals. That means this patch/hotfix also has the potential to make things better for others which, in case you forgot, is a good thing. Just because it might not have been you that it helped doesn't mean the patch was a.) not tested in the slightest, b.) sub-par or c.) not worth releasing to anyone.

I don't have any issues with this patch.

TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIINNN

Fixed.

I really couldn't give a shit if you want to play my game or not... chances are though, you will.

I also don't give two flying knobs of goat shit what you or anyone else thinks of my P.R. skills either... I'm frankly sick to death of the inane excuses made by the kids-of-today, and the total lack of respect for anyone elses opinion. In my day, it wasn't called "trolling" it was called "being a fucking dickhead"... you want to play games? I'll show you how it was done in my day, mate.

~Sol

So are you prepared to give us details on your game.... screenshots... gameplay video? Everyone can say they have the best game and that chances are we will want to play it. Fact is bug free doesn't mean PLAYABLE or fun it just means you are anal in bugtesting...

As to lack of respect for others opinions, when you have an attitude in your post and say you couldn't give a shit then is it fair that others wont respect your post or opinions... I am all for a fair discussion but coming over angry in a post does no one any favours

And as to how it was done in your day, I was involved in game development back on Atari's and Amiga's etc.. I have met alot of programmers, artists, musicians etc... most of them were really nice people who enjoyed making games..... maybe game designers have evolved into shouting moaning dont care about PR perfect coders..... oh well

My game will be announced later this year.

Unless you understand long mathematics and 3D engines, then you won't see much apart from a tonne of code you won't understand.

Also, this is HARDLY the place to be plastering screenshots, concept art, or anything of the like.

Once there is something to show... you will know. I drop the "I'm a game developer" line because every asshole here is a god damn expert "oh it's alpha you faggot" etc etc. The fact is, I AM a developer with many years of experience... whether you chose to believe it or not is not my concern, I really couldn't' give a fuck either way. I have alreayd been contacted by a few members of the board via PM, and shared some screenshots with them of our current art direction and a link to our in-house "puppet dressing room" software that we use to test fit new clothing and items to the characters.

So, whatever-the-fuck. I don't care.

*EDIT*

Being anal in bug testing, means that down the road you don't have to rewrite the entire god damn game 3 times *cough*Minecraft*cough*. It also means you don't have a message board full of kids who just try to brain each other over nothing!

~Sol

Edited by Sol

Blow it out your ass...

Fuck sakes.

Alpha = add shit

Beta = fix shit

Learn to fucking READ.

~Sol

If you're a game developer, what company do you work for? What titles have you worked on? You're acting like the rest of the immature whiny little brats on this forum. I can't imagine any company hiring such a whiny asshole, I guess you hide it well in person. Generally, ALPHA testing is kept in-house for this very reason, whiny little girls such as yourself make it harder by rushing things and not understanding what an ALPHA is.

You were right with a couple points in your post, ALPHA is for adding features, but you left out a couple crucial points. ALPHA is for adding features, testing those features and fixing known bugs from your integration testing. However, you are failing to understand what that really means. Adding features generally means breaking other features. Sure, you could always be more strict on what you're doing and unit test properly (still breaking things along the way, for the testers to find), but when you have hundreds of thousands of people rushing you, you tend to get a bit sloppy. I guess you haven't felt the urge of hundreds of thousands of people with your almighty game, so while you may be a game developer, you have no idea the impact he's feeling to get things done. That being said, the game engine itself is generating the massive artifacts people are seeing and quite a few of the other bugs posted, not his mod (which is probably part of the reason they decided to go standalone). A big time game developer who's as smart as you should understand that, and actually know how to fix those artifacts. It doesn't take a genius to fix it yourself without the dev team holding your hand, it took me less than 5 minutes (after seeing the artifacts at an airstrip) to find and fix the problem for myself.

The game is not even nearly unplayable, you are exaggerating like a little kid. I feel bad for any company you work for. It would suck to have such a whiny useless person on my team.

However, I'm glad that your ALPHA is 90% bug-free, and at 100% bug-free you will label it a BETA. At which point you will release it to your Q/A department or a controlled public to find the rest of the not so apparent ones, as any software developer would. Your idea to move DayZ to BETA is just about the dumbest idea I've read on this forum, that would defeat a major role of an ALPHA. The ALPHA is for adding features and fixing all of the apparent bugs, BETA is for finding the rest. This is why games are generally released in BETA stage and not ALPHA.. They know about the ones in ALPHA, not the ones in the BETA. Once again, a bad ass game developer such as yourself should know this about the SDLC.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic. It's useless talking to people like you.

• Like 3

Unless you understand long mathematics and 3D engines, then you won't see much apart from a tonne of code you won't understand.

Also, this is HARDLY the place to be plastering screenshots, concept art, or anything of the like.

Once there is something to show... you will know. I drop the "I'm a game developer" line because every asshole here is a god damn expert "oh it's alpha you faggot" etc etc. The fact is, I AM a developer with many years of experience... whether you chose to believe it or not is not my concern, I really couldn't' give a fuck either way. I have alreayd been contacted by a few members of the board via PM, and shared some screenshots with them of our current art direction and a link to our in-house "puppet dressing room" software that we use to test fit new clothing and items to the characters.

~Sol

I happen to be in the same boat here, aspiring game dev. So go ahead and share some bits with me via PM if you like. On my honor.

But let's be honest, even if you have a really good thing going, coming and literally trashtalking the competition isn't good form!

*EDIT*

Being anal in bug testing, means that down the road you don't have to rewrite the entire god damn game 3 times *cough*Minecraft*cough*. It also means you don't have a message board full of kids who just try to brain each other over nothing!

~Sol

I understand, show me. :)

You said 90% bug-free ALPHA, but you have nothing to show? Just some concept art?

LOL, too funny. You remind me of my friend Will, he's been coding a few years now, and thinks he's the most elite person to ever write some logic.

*EDIT*

~Sol

Even if everything you say is true I hope this isn't how you act in real life. Your outrageous attitude only brings shame to yourself and anyone else you say you're affiliated with.

Edited by dstein

If you're a game developer, what company do you work for? What titles have you worked on? You're acting like the rest of the immature whiny little brats on this forum. I can't imagine any company hiring such a whiny asshole, I guess you hide it well in person. Generally, ALPHA testing is kept in-house for this very reason, whiny little girls such as yourself make it harder by rushing things and not understanding what an ALPHA is.

You were right with a couple points in your post, ALPHA is for adding features, but you left out a couple crucial points. ALPHA is for adding features, testing those features and fixing known bugs from your integration testing. However, you are failing to understand what that really means. Adding features generally means breaking other features. Sure, you could always be more strict on what you're doing and unit test properly (still breaking things along the way, for the testers to find), but when you have hundreds of thousands of people rushing you, you tend to get a bit sloppy. I guess you haven't felt the urge of hundreds of thousands of people with your almighty game, so while you may be a game developer, you have no idea the impact he's feeling to get things done. That being said, the game engine itself is generating the massive artifacts people are seeing and quite a few of the other bugs posted, not his mod (which is probably part of the reason they decided to go standalone). A big time game developer who's as smart as you should understand that, and actually know how to fix those artifacts. It doesn't take a genius to fix it yourself without the dev team holding your hand, it took me less than 5 minutes (after seeing the artifacts at an airstrip) to find and fix the problem for myself.

The game is not even nearly unplayable, you are exaggerating like a little kid. I feel bad for any company you work for. It would suck to have such a whiny useless person on my team.

However, I'm glad that your ALPHA is 90% bug-free, and at 100% bug-free you will label it a BETA. At which point you will release it to your Q/A department or a controlled public to find the rest of the not so apparent ones, as any software developer would. Your idea to move DayZ to BETA is just about the dumbest idea I've read on this forum, that would defeat a major role of an ALPHA. The ALPHA is for adding features and fixing all of the apparent bugs, BETA is for finding the rest. This is why games are generally released in BETA stage and not ALPHA.. They know about the ones in ALPHA, not the ones in the BETA. Once again, a bad ass game developer such as yourself should know this about the SDLC.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic. It's useless talking to people like you.

I'm an indie developer with a team of 4 other people. We are self employeed and self funded. I am the project director and fund manager, as well as lead artist and mechanic designer.

Calling me a whining asshole? That's rich. Read your post again, whining about me whining... fucking hypocrite.

If moving to beta is so dumb, then why has Rocket skipped that part and started the standalone already? Because he realises that what I'm saying (as well as many many others have been saying) is correct. The mod is pretty much unfixable, and will never ever BE fixed. He SHOULD however, stop adding shit, fix the bugs then let us have some FUN while he makes the SERIOUS version of the game. Go ahead, tell me how I'm wrong etc, I really don't give a fuck.

I happen to be in the same boat here, aspiring game dev. So go ahead and share some bits with me via PM if you like. On my honor.

But let's be honest, even if you have a really good thing going, coming and literally trashtalking the competition isn't good form!

I'm not trashtalking the competition... I'm fed up with the (99%, there are some of you I love and adore!) dickhead community that fills this jackass shit-hole up... and the frustration is bleeding over to the dev team who take a month to release a patch that breaks more shit than it fixes... IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

Also, I'll PM you some stuff you can check out, if you like.

I understand, show me. :)

You said 90% bug-free ALPHA, but you have nothing to show? Just some concept art?

LOL, too funny. You remind me of my friend Will, he's been coding a few years now, and thinks he's the most elite person to ever write some logic.

I have an almost fully working 3D engine with realtime day/night lighting cycles... you do understand that, before you have something to "show" you have to make the thing that drives the graphics... IE the engine, right?

In simpler terms: None of the math has pretty pictures actually attached to it yet.

Even if everything you say is true I hope this isn't how you act in real life. Your outrageous attitude only brings shame to yourself and anyone else you say you're affiliated with.

Oh, you mean like say... pretty much everyone here?

I don't give a fuck :)

You don't have to like me... I'm not forcing you to. I'm the nicest person you'll ever meet outside of a place like this. So infuriating reading the absolute SHIT you people post about each other, claiming you have some special fucking right to treat others like utter garbage.

~Sol

Edited by Sol

*EDIT*

~Sol

I'm surprised if anyone would buy your game if you keep acting a total douchebag and goes apeshit all over the forum, still you have the nerve to call everyone for a kid when it's obvious who's being a kid here.

Unplayable? The last update made getting onto servers faster for me and all the artifacts are gone at NW airfeild, stary and cherno for me.

7 hours and not one graphics glitch since the new update.

Sols game could be a DAYZ beater, we wont know till its announced.... however he attitude he gives off would mean any company I worked in developing games would have got rid of him due to his attitude.... unless he was lead programmer and no one else could do what he did.... or he owned the company.....

We all get mad at things... we don't like the bugs etc etc... doesnt mean I tell people to blow it your arse........ doesnt make you a likeable person on the forum..... and means people will not listen to what you say as they have to get past the attitude first and foremost...

I'm surprised if anyone would buy your game if you keep acting a total douchebag and goes apeshit all over the forum, still you have the nerve to call everyone for a kid when it's obvious who's being a kid here.

Feel free to not buy it. Again, I don't give a fuck.

I'm going "apeshit" because of the elitist fucking comments left here from people just like you. See how you needlessly insult my character? Good job, another hypocrite!

*EDIT*

I'm really curious as to HOW I'm being a "douchebag" as you put it... By getting angry at the disgusting behaviour here? Or trying to defend what little character I have left thanks to the unlimited amount of elitism present? Maybe by trying to be helpful, nicely, then getting ridiculed endlessly? Fuck you.

~Sol

Edited by Sol

I watch Videos and interviews with Rocket and I think.... I could go for a beer with this guy or would love to have a Dayz session with him as he seems cool and easy to talk to... yeah the game has bugs but you can see Rocket is passionate about his game..

Sol...... after reading your posts...and getting a gist of your attitude..... your game better be fkin good!!!

didnt read through all the pages and someone probably already said this,

but you were warned to not download this patch if you didnt want shit to break

• Like 1