dacaveboy@hotmail.com

Warden/peace keeper/ Militia idea

hey guys

I have just had my first ever fatal pvp experience. Dont worry im not going to complain like everyone else but I've been thinking.

Theres been heaps of talk about ending pvp and myself and many others have suggested forming vigil ante groups to go out and hunt them down. Why not make this group a clan? Why not gather players together who would like to try and bring some law to an otherwise lawless region?

Im suggesting we just start small. And dont bother at all with the coast as thats a lost cause. I say get a group of solid guys with decent gear and start patrolling inland areas where bandits are known to hunt. Like in the NW corner of the map. Encourage other players to cooperate with the group, pass on intel about bandit sightings and where they were last killed by other players. Names where possible. Try and put pressure on the bandits and make it harder for them to operate by aggressively searching them out.

Sure you could never completely get rid of the bandits, but you could do your little bit to help put it them down a bit. Not like the other groups who are out to hold players hands at all, but to counter hunt the bandits. And it could be a way for people who enjoy pvp to do so in a way that is conductive to the ingame society as opposed to preying on the weak.

What do you think? This is an open lawless place, but society needs to start somewhere. Should we try and do our bit to clean the place up?

our clan is aiming something similar and is based on 5-10 guys who already play together in our clan (on other games) and are trusted and therefor "solid". You're welcome to come on board and help establish the game witho our clan and establish our DayZ campaign. We need good people like yourself with good intentions to try and get things done properly. If you're not interested or want to do your own thing then no problem and good luck. My details are in my signature.

The group I run with find its far easier to keep to ourselves, and help those in need if we stumble upon them and trust them. With heavy sniper over watch for security. The only issue with finding bandits is simple, how do you distinguish lone wolfs and friendly survivors from the bandits, they can even have the skin from self-defense *however I find bypassing survivors/suspicious people and groups is far easier*.

Survival for me is simple, communicate with allies and move in groups if doing something important, even then get the advantage of eyes on first and stay hidden. When I'm alone I literally stalk the landscape, at night more often than not, keeping to shadows and cover, away from the coast obviously. I have not died in a few days due to this and for me it is exceptionally fun.

Back on topic, The issue here is how do you tell the prey from the predators? It can be a fine line, easily broken, between what you envision of a lawful killer and what your hunt the cold blooded murderer.

However if this does work I wish you all the best, you could be making some newer players lives far easier.

-Cpl Taylor - (EU3)

Correct and I played the same way as you did for quite some time, and managed to survive happily for days. i really enjoy the play style that you employ.

But I was thinking that it can be done, and would be fun doing so. Treat it like counter insurgency warfare. If you hear gun fire respond to it and see if its just survivors or fighting. If you encounter others question them and keep track of whos in your AO so if you know such and such was headed in this direction and you just found fresh bodies perhaps he did it? encourage the other local players to speak out against it so you can do it. Im thinking that you can run it similar to a peace keeping operation or full blown counter insurgency warfare.

Like I said, you will never get rid of them, but it could be fun trying to.

Boxman, sounds fun. i already have a couple guys who are keen. ill talk to them. How do you guys go about it? just patrols? or do you try and get involed with the local community better etc?

Boxman, sounds fun. i already have a couple guys who are keen. ill talk to them. How do you guys go about it? just patrols? or do you try and get involed with the local community better etc?

We’re still very early days to be honest with you which is why I say it’s a great time for motivated people to get on board and help focus our efforts and shape our DayZ campaign. Fundamentally this game fits the community of gamers we already have well, as our motto kind of indicates; “strength in unity”.

At this stage we’re more about strengthening our numbers and creating a foundation of familiarity (within the game and new users) and developing team based co-operation/tactics so I’d guess our first approach is to engage within the community and attract as many like minded people as possible to help build this foundation.

From there I would say our long term goal is to provide safe areas/zones for our members and like minded individuals and to enforce our own ethics/codes of conduct within the game world. Naturally long term I would say this may need to done aggressively when dealing with certain types who are counter-productive tour goals. This will hopefully be fun as well as useful for everyone involved though and could go on to produce good clan mates and friendships!

Which Servers do you guys usually use?

Blue Light Alliance, Freelance and another group that allied recently, are neutral/friendly survivors on EU3 and always welcome groups with common goals.

what worked for me was grouping up with people i randomly encounter, sometimes you will die.. but i have about 10 people i can fully trust now

Ive been server hopping a lot lately. I live in NZ and mostly have to settle with whatever Server has the best ping at the time. But once part of a group Ill try and settle.

Lanceuppercut, agreed. Im not complaining about pvp or saying it needs gone, we know theres enough threads about that already. Im just suggesting setting up a group actively set on trying to provide an AO that is at least slightly safer for survivors, or at the very least more difficult for bandits to operate in.

Here is what I had in mind.

Hard Posture. Th group is a Paramilitary style outfit. Its by being well equipped and organised that you present a greater threat to bandits. Acting as a tight unit is vital to the survival of those in the unit as well as the threat the unit itself portrays.

Set up a dedicated AO. Start small, like a triangle with Novy Sobor, Devils castle and Lopatino at the points. This covers one of the most dangerous areas of the map, one which sees a lot of bandits. As the group grows and gets more effective this area could expand to cover petrovka, putoshka and other near by towns.

Proactive patrols. Patrol the AO hard. Theres enough good places there to scavenge supplies as they are needed plus plentiful water points so no great need to leave that area. Have a presence and let it be felt.

Act overtly. Make it known to the entire server that patrols are in that area. Not to specific but make it known we are there and actively hunting bandits. Encourage others to tell us if they were engaged by other players in certain areas within the AO so we may investigate. If the group is large enough it could even move overtly and try and encourage the bandits to engage.

Keep track of players. Take a quick note of all players in the AO. Attempt to communicate with any and all survivors seen in the area, try and take note of names and equipment. If fire is heard in the area demand the firer to make themselves known or risk engagement, and then move in to see whats going on. If they are just killing zombies and scavenging then they have nothing to fear. Also, if there are known player killers, with numerous kills, keep track of them, kind of as a most wanted list. Make these people the main objectives. To avoid people etting you to do their dirty work, the person in question can always reply themselves on side channel stating that they were acting in self defense etc. Noone said it would be easy but thats half the fun.

It sounds like a lot of work but theres systems that can be put in place to make it easier. from an RPG perspective this gives some clear guidance and direction to keep players going. Same for bandits, more challenging an area to clear out and maybe some extra tension.

I dont intend to claim ownership of the area, and wont be stopping other peeps from accessing the area either. Just to try and lower the threats of the area and bring some semblance of society to it. Just for the fun of it.

Whether that is something I will do with my own group or by joining another I dont yet know. If groups read what I have just posted and like it let me know, or if players out there like it then vice versa. Im sure some bandits are licking their lips right now but thats half the fun :P

Have had considerable interested as well as the offer a TeamSpeak server. Am currently trying to decide to create completely new group or fall under the umbrella of an existing one. What do yall think? And if people interested in joining such a group please post up here that would be great.

Also, any ideas for a name if we do form a new group? I was thinking something like North Chernarus Militia [NCM] could be good, Or Wardens of Chernarus [WoC] or some such. Any suggestions considered. Cheers.

Meritable clans should work together in an organized fashion, that would gain them the advantage of one another in different tasks on different levels. Remember, this is free-for-all, also remember that if they became too fearful to bandits, they might also turn against one another and innocent bystanders in the quest for something meaningful to do with their time and actual influence.

That completely aside, there will always be bad people wanting to do bad act with dangerous things in their hands, and these organized groups with common goals must realize the power they could have as a positive force in Chernarus.

North Chernarus Militia sounds a little like a bandit group

NCW

North Chernarus Wardens

its a mash up of your two ideas sorry I haven't thought of a original name I'm not good at making names

Hey Boganova, great posts, you summed up most of what I had in mind when I signed up for this forum. Your vigilante group suggestion is exactly what we need in Dayz. I have already taken the initiative and created a clan based on this idea known as the Overwatch. I've made the group just today but I have been planning for it for a while and was looking through the forums today to see if anyone had similar ideas. I'll post a new thread for the sole purpose of recruiting when I have things finalized. I'd approximate 2-3 weeks before the clan goes operational to any extent since I'm still brainstorming more ideas for clan functions, reworking my website, and bringing in more volunteers. You can add me on steam (same name as above) and check out the group thus far if you're interested.. And if you want to, you could give some suggestions or join us if you find it suitable to your tastes. :P

I also wanted to expand on your current suggestions for functions in a militia group but I had my last entry deleted before I could post it when my computer crashed, so I'll just make a quick summary below

Some features of the clan:

-Will enforce one server until more manpower is available

-Strict organization -> i.e. patrols have chain of command and special roles, certain methods of conduct around player, etc

-possibly ranks based on trust, leadership capability, and skill (to a lesser extent)

-Blacklist and whitelist for repeat offenders and known trusted individuals, respectively

-Teamspeak server and Skype (Officers only)

-brief training for recruits and screening process

-willing to work with, combine, or ally with clans that have similar interests

-website with a forum

Cheers,

SMGH

Yeah I am interested in joining a milita/peace keeper group. I am new to Arma 2 as a whole so I need to find a group I can trust and move throughout the world with. Got tracked and killed by some bandits near the coast after gearing up, so I am assuming the coastal cities are pretty much killzones. So yeah I am still learning the ropes but I will definitely get on board with a milita group. Loving this mod so far even though its so unforgiving. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for updates about any groups being formed. Player name: EzE

Awesome! loving the attention we are getting. Looks like I recruited more guys today as well, so things are looking up!

At this stage the guys I have onboard are still undecided on whether to do our own group or join another so at this stage I am still looking at all options so we can make the strongest decision on the day. Someonemustgethurt, I have added you on steam and like what you have written down for The Overwatch so far. Lets talk.

everyone else whos interested feel free to add me on steam, same name as above. Lets make this happen. I have been developing plans and strategies to use in game lately and cant wait to get this off the ground.

Hit me up guys.

I can tell someonemustgethurt if your group is willing to join into his we are also new and looking for members but not my decision upto our leader but I'll ask him if you agree

Hey guys, are you active on any particular servers? I'm a huge noob (don't own ArmA II or DayZ yet but plan on it soon...) and would like either a trustworthy group to join or at least an area that will allow me to learn basics without being killed immediately. :D

I have around 5-7 guys always roaming around the northern areas in between towns and what not and would be glad to help out. I'd rather suggest we act separate under one goal, trying to all get together in one pot can be a nightmare when it comes to management if this ever gets big.

Bandits will hunt "peacekeepers" until peacekeepers give up.

Thing is, bandits are not a tight group. It's just people killing to see what interesting things you have. Or, it's kill before you are killed.

Interesting idea, but it'll take a lot. Even if they did, it's only on 1 server.

Well for every person bandits kill, that may highly potentially be another member of the peacekeeping group. So, count how many people have died to bandits, and add like 20% or something of that to the growing group of peacekeepers?