Sign in to follow this  
nev2k

Radio, Beam Radio, Amateur radio

Okay, so my idea is to add a new item to the game.

the beam radio , so for thoose who don't know what it is i'll explain in the spoiler.

A beam radio is a radio, which can listen to incoming radio signals, as well as sending radio signals. It's called BEAM radio, because the angle it sends is very small, you usually have to point directly to your target location, so all in all it allows you a save radio communication about long ranges.

So the beam radio should be in use for transmitting as well as recieving radio.

The radio item which is already ingame should allow you to recieve only.

I'd make the beam radio a placable on the ground,

which should have a menu with theese four options:

->changing the direction it sends(I'd use a compass for and a map in this menu, so you can be more effective in pointing).

->changing the angle you can transmit signals. I'd say from a minimum of around a parrallel beam, which is about 10 to 20 meters(must be tried out how excact)

up to a 30° angle(have to be tried out as well).

->set to auto broadcast a short message(like a grid ref) evry 5-10 minutes.

->set to auto repeat mode(repeating any incoming radio signal to the pointet direction).

If it's not possible to make it a placement with theese options than it should be carryable, so you can set the direction yourself, as this is the most important point of a beam radio.

So as seen from the menu options, you can only recieve signals(texted as well as voice) only in the angle.

The range should be unlimited and (even if it's not realistic) the signal(quality) should not be affected by the countryside or weather as it would make it an almost useless tool.

I'd say you have to stand either very close to the beam radio or have to be in its menu in order to write/voip in the (new added) radio channel.

I'd also say that any signal which passes the mountain should be repeated from their and so be accesable to listen over the whole map.

The radio channel, should take in all transmissions coming across your position,but allow you to filter that you can only hear/read what a specific station/s(Id of the station not the player) sends,

so now let's come to the possibilties it would offer:

1. You can communicate with other survivors without the danger of getting you position noticed like in the direct chat (using a small angle).

2. You can become a radio moderator with you own show! This would somehow add the feeling of not bein alone out there for other players hearing your broadcast.

3. Your clan would have a ingame tool for high range communications within the clan or with other groups, you want to discuss without the danger of getting hit immediately.

4. You can broadcast a emergency signal, which your local medic could recieve, and then goes helping you.

5. It's save if you want because you can encrypt text messages with real methods(handwork or tool) and trying to decrypt a enemys clan message would add an awesome new atmosphere.

And the best thing, it's a verry realistic scenario as there always were amateur radio fans in real world crysis getting and repeating emergency signals and rebuilding a communication network, so help could be organized, as well as sending "the truth" from the place where things happen and the government supresses free journalism.

If there'll be a real apocalypse theese guys will be the first ones sharing informations and networking, in order to survive and bring humans together again.

As i'm neither an amateur radio guy nor in radio systems at all, i'd please you to optimize this idea with technical know-how.

Of course evrybody should feel free to comment discuss and improve the idea.

• Like 1

I suppose doing some RDF or Radio Direction Finding might be interesting for treasure hunting, passing coded messages, radio shows, or for bandits who might want to make a trap. Yea you can get directional signals from some radios if you have the right antenna setup. Also there are a ton of radio towers about the island so as long as the radios were set up with a few channels or frequency tuner of some type. I think it wouldn't hurt allow for those interested in maybe taking a fixed antenna site over, maybe filling up a generator there with gas and allowing them to do their own radio show if they wanted to. Or use the site for a 'global' repeater if you like.

I never had a problem with people asking this or that over the global side chat, infact it's more or less a dual edged sword. Some folks try to lay traps for others to fall into, while others help each other out. *shrugs*

My only other issue is I would like the option to turn the thing off if it gets annoying and I'm trying to do something with out being distracted.

Actually I got to thinking about this a bit more and I suppose someone could carry about a handheld radio maybe keep the range to a couple km or a tad more. And if your using it to talk to others maybe it gets hashy as you get close to the max range or something. Hills are where these radios would hit max range, unless you set up a repeater for example. . . But to be honest I don't know how complicated one would want to get with this type of setup.

I suppose they could do a recorder type set up to so you can make your own prerecorded messages too. Still it might make things a bit more interesting for those looking to make contacts or friends in game. . . Similar to what amateur radio operators do in real life.

Edited by Who cares?

Okay, that rdf feature might be intresting, as well as there should be the possibilty of turning the radio off,

but i think it basically should'nt be affected by the enviroment or getting hashy in the far ranges, because it would make this feature to complicated, as well as being hard to code and might causing some problems with server latency, as a wave propagation is hard to predict and i don't know whether the engine could stand it at all.

I definitely like the idea of implementing radios. As we have seen in the OPs post there are a ton of interesting directions you could take this and it would open up a lot of very interesting game play possibilities.

beans. that is all. there are already prop models of old style chunky radios with micropohones in the balota tent, traffic tower (I think) and other such places. just make them usable/lootable . Actually make them sorta like vehicles so if they are on the ground, placed, and get shot they get damaged/broken/unusable.

Can we get a long range (total map coverage) transmission by using the tower at that one mountain?

This would definitely have to be in the standalone version of DayZ. The radio communications in Arma 2 are essentially global chat that's enabled when you have a radio in your inventory. It does not cut out or is not limited by the environment around you, nor does it have a range of operation.

Yeah, i thought of green mountain and may other huge towers as re transmitters, green mountain for the whole map and others may for a decent area, but i'd like the small area or even beam option, as it would give the possibility of "secret" messages and long range clan communication.

Even if clan communication can easily be solved by VoIP tools, it could reduce metagaming and i think that dayZ lives from the authentic feeling of not knowing what's going on or how to survive best.

Well you could also add this all server radio, but that could already be done by metagaming, as a internet radio ;)

*HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!*

Well you could also add this all server radio, but that could already be done by metagaming, as a internet radio ;)

?? But that would defeat the purpose of an in-game activity/objective, notto mention meta gaming wouldnt take account of everyone on he server

Tbh that suggestion is linked into the whole idea of groups making claims on areas and industrial buildings/processes, controlling the radio towers could be for multiple reasons, i know if was in a group id claim it just to broadcast tunes!!! But established clans on servers could use it to boast their dominance on servers or generally rant XD

Control Old Industry

This beam radio however seems to me more like a distraction, strategic tool for coordinating confusion amongst other players. id assume most groups that are established (ie not teaming up randomly) probably use meta gaming anywayz.Which ive always thought is a shame but I dont think theres really anything that could be done about that.

The radio tower allows something that broadcasts potentially to all peeps on a server, something that meta gaming doesnt offer,

yeah, the radio would be a very strategical tool, as well as a tool to group up, have safe in game contact with stranges or, as a tool to broadcast your own radioshow.