Sign in to follow this  
mattldempsey

Loot Damage! Making you think more before PlayerKilling

What you are forgetting is that people shoot on sight to avoid other people shooting them first. the loot will not change that. it will just make it so that we get even less loot than we already have and if it comes down to random chance this would be a real downer for strategic shots and just make it depressing when you go out of your way to get 3 body shots on them and their NV goggles are broken anyway. or if you go out of your way to get a headshot and their AS50 snaps in half. I would have to say no, this is just a way to annoy people.

Agree with ODoyle. 50% is too high, but the idea of loot damage is good... and intelligent is better than a flat %. hell... if you REALLY want to go there, you could subject items in a backpack be subject to loss/damage from people shooting your backpack.

But yeah, in general, if you want to steal someone's NVGs, you shouldn't shoot them in the face... if you want anything they've got on them, you shouldn't shoot them with an AS550 (there's a reason .50 cal is considered 'anti material' rather than 'anti personnel')

also how many items are no longer lootable should be compared to how many times the player was shot.. was he shot 50 times with a makarov, chances are that not much loot are left.. was the player headshotted by a sniper in the woods, all items should be lootable except for items that was worn on the head while being shot :)

I like the thought of loot damage. Also, I think bandits should attract much more aggro from Zeds, because they've got blood on their hands.

Now that is very interesting. If you have a certain humanity level, then the agro range increases vastly.

I like this idea very much.

if you make it too realistic, it wont be fun. plus theres alot of work trying to make damage detectors and such.

its fine how it is, i dont think the devs want to spent heaps of time making something that will upset players.

Perhaps you need to watch a few of Rockets talks and interviews .

The game isn't necessarily about fun , and it sure doesn't care if it upsets people .

Any extreme emotion experienced makes it more interesting , even if that emotion is severe frustration .

Equipment damage would be a fine idea , making it a bit more of an effort to "secure" items from "enemies" .

As for increasing zed agro range based on your humanity , that doesn't make sense to me at all .

Edited by Jars

I like the whole idea, organize hitpoints to items destroyed...

Headshot: any head gear being USED (e.g. binos are stached at waste according to animation).

Body shots: Damages Backpack and items in backpack (even any possible weapons inside), and possibly any clothing they are wearing (ghillie, camo, etc.).

-->Maybe backpack can be repaired with duck tape? :P

-->Can't really see toolbelt and side arm getting damaged

-->Primary inventory idk...

I think its a great idea on the whole. But if it were to be implemented then it would definitely need to be realistic. As someone else said, shots to the head should only damage anything worn on the head. Shots to the arms legs should not damage items in your pack. Shots to the front of your body should have a different effect to those fired at a players back and different effects depending on calibre etc.

Sounds a bit too much for them to actually achieve it perhaps. Would be nice but doubt it will happen.

It was announced today on the Dev blog, actually.

This is a good idea. I personally think that it should matter were you hit people, ex: hit the waste-damage the tool belt, hit the back-damage stuff in the backpack. I think that implementing this will start a lot more robberies in DayZ, which i support as it makes the game more interesting. Instead of shooting people on sight for there loot, they would come behind them and threaten to shoot them in the leg or something if they didn't give them there stuff.

• Like 1

Which brings me to another random idea , human shields and perhaps some movable shield like objects , sheet metal perhaps , things that will slow you down intolerably , yet provide some makeshift cover in a pinch .

Random I know .

Also , I doubt that loot damage will decrease player killing , most people PK because they enjoy it , not because of any need to .

Edited by Jars

I like this idea because the penalty of death becomes more severe. Often squad members will defend their fallen squadmate's body while he (or she) makes his way back to the body and recovers the loot. This would not work as well if the loot was damaged. I also like the idea of this promoting robberies instead of murders.

Yep. It was mentioned that you can damage other persons gear. Cant wait to see how they build the weapon cleaning and breaking system.

What about if you got killed by accident or in cold blood near the coast and went back for your stuff?

You don't go back to your stuff, I hope this is fixed in standalone.. If you get killed by doing something incredibly stupid, you're dead. Bam.

E: Great job necro-ing the thread, this is a pretty ancient one.

Edited by Sutinen