reuter

A mechanic to prevent DayZ turning into a massive DM

we don't need a game mechanic to force moral considerations onto players, if a player feels ill at ease when he considers the ramificatioins his actions will have on others then great, I feel bad so take my time

thousands don't, we wouldn't be where we are today without them

I don't have that in mind. As I said earlier, I'm also killing others. But is is way too easy and without any game mechanic that makes killing a tough decision you don't have to regret anything - unlike in real life.

Okay, stop confusing real life with a game. There's no zombies in real life, and hopefully you're not killing anyone in real life.

I kill people in the game for safety and fun, but I will always regret an unprovoked murder - that's hours of time you just cost someone

Wow.. first page so many bad ideas. It is brilliant as it is now.

The most exciting thing about this game is the player/bandit interaction. You never know what'll hit you and you know you might get fucked in the ass for trusting people.

It is perfect as it is.

Only thing I can see as somewhat of an 'anti-bean wars' system is to just give newly spawned players a few minutes of not being able to die from players. If they don't gtfo of the spawn area in time, it's their own fault. BUT this should only be implemented if there is no other way, since it's unrealistic and in the end doesn't stop people that don't understand that the coast is the most dangerous place in the game.

There's only one punishment fitting for anyone stupid enough to die, and it's already incorporated into the game.

It's called DEATH.

Stop trying to find a crutch to lean on, this is a Zombie Survival Simulator.

Deal with it.

This is like the 5th or 6th thread I read on this topic. *sigh*

I've got killed about 20 times by bandits by now. I'm not complaining. Most of those deaths could be avoided if I just made better decisions. But I didn't and I died. Now, I have more experience with the game and with the play-style of other players. Now if I see a guy pointing a gun in my direction, I don't run and try to hug him, while shouting "OMGZZZ YOU WITH THE 1866 POINTING AT MY HEAD, FRIENDLY?!? ^_^". I stay away and try to communicate by distance, keeping maximum caution.

My point is: Every death made me stronger, gameplay-wise. I got to know people on a more basic, behavioral level (Will he shoot? Will he run away? Does he tend to slow down, just to get behind me? etc etc.). This, for me at least, enriched my game experience to a level which no other game can compete.

TL;DR :

The game is fine as it is. Just follow these guidelines:

Stupid decision = Death

Each death = New experience

Use your newly gained experience to make better decisions

Better decision = Avoiding death and gain rewards (Survival, New Companion, Loot, etc.)

At least, that's how I see it.

I'd like zombies to spawn everywhere. It would fix how boring it is to travel between towns and would prevent people from just shooting on sight all the time

Dayz might need an incentive for having higher humanity, the higher humanity you have the better loot you might find ? The better humanity you have the better camo or some sort of incentive system would be good

The only problem of this solution for me is that it could enforce the Kill On Sight thingy....

I thought too of : More you stay alive, shorter is the timer. Shorter is your life, longer is your death timer. (no idea about values) But it would really piss off the new "bad" players, wich is not a good thing. But since the devs never wanted this to be something else than a hard experience, I think it could be a good experience. If Rocket is looking for the EXPERIENCE side of Dayz, create something with a death timer is defenitely a good idea.

It has never been done before of course, since it s a total marketing stupid idea... but since rocket doesn't give a shit about that ^^

I don't know, but I really do thing there is something to do with a death timer.

This option punishes nobody but careless people.

There's only one punishment fitting for anyone stupid enough to die' date=' and it's already incorporated into the game.

It's called DEATH.

Stop trying to find a crutch to lean on, this is a Zombie Survival Simulator.

Deal with it.

[/quote']

but this 'death' is mitigated by the ability to respawn as much as you want. In real life there's no respawn for anyone but if DayZ had that, nobody would play anymore.

I wanted to write up an angry post but I'm just gonna simplify it

banditry should have negative effects just like teaming up can have negative effects. The reason for this is to make the choice harder to make and thus provoke more thinking into each decision each player makes.

It should be atleast an immunity for a group of people who f.e. say theyre a transport company to prevent them getting blown up but i dont like the idea of punish kills.

Ive been playing this game for a week now, and after the first day i shoot everybody on sight.

The pro's of killing someone are too great in comparison of the one con, and that is dieing ofc.

I dont like the idea of punishing kills aswell, but maybe u can implant different spawnpoints for bandits and survivors.

IE: if u have a ratio of more then 1 murder per hour or so u spawn north-east of the coast (if u die ofc) and if ur ratio is below u spawn somewhere south of the coast.

While it would in noway guarantee that ur safe with other survivors, it would a give a more pro side to not killing everyone on sight.

Bandits should just be a little more rough around the edges with nasty hair, some facial scars, and a few missing teeth or squinty eyes. The more murders you commit should result in your character randomly shooting people once in awhile when you are near them via some script coding. A true bandit steals and shoots everyone. If a bandit is in a murder squad with friends, well the coding that can turn their guns against eachother for two shots in the stomach at random would instill quite a change of play. hah.

Bandits should just be a little more rough around the edges with nasty hair' date=' some facial scars, and a few missing teeth or squinty eyes. The more murders you commit should result in your character randomly shooting people once in awhile when you are near them via some script coding. A true bandit steals and shoots everyone. If a bandit is in a murder squad with friends, well the coding that can turn their guns against eachother for two shots in the stomach at random would instill quite a change of play. hah.

[/quote']

463754.gif

How about letting the character have remorse about killing someone?

The more you kill the more your character will get insane.

Screen will get shacky and blurry, you need pills to calm your character down.

Your character walk in zig zag even if you just press forward.

Also after you kill someone your character should panic like he currently does with the zombies.

Zombies need a gigantic buff - until this happens, uncooperative play will continue. Hell, zombies need to be made the focus of the game again - adding new shit should be put on hold until zombies are fixed and buffed correctly (to the point where two are a relative threat, and where allowing just one to detect you will lead to the possibility of anything up to a dozen also discovering you).

Unpredictable AI - exactly like what ewitwins is suggesting - is a major part of this, as is precise 'IF THIS happens, THEN THIS'-based scripting. For example...

"If Detects then PLAY and SET MOVESPEED = Pursue"

"If PLAYS inside 50m of then MOVE to and SET MOVESPEED = Walk"

"If Detects then PLAY and SET MOVESPEED = Pursue"

Obviously, this is very basic programming and it's just a very vague example of what would work (I'm definitely no programmer), but this kind of chain-reaction scripting for zombies would make the experience a lot more tense, and so much more satisfyingly challenging with regards to PvE.

The bottom line: Zombies need fixing in terms of pathing and movement speed (some new animations wouldn't hurt, either) and a huge buff (in terms of both individual dangerousness and numeracy). More extensive scripting would be brilliant in regards to this. Other content other than code and server stability should be put in the to-do-later pile until zombies/PvE is once again the focus, and the Deathmatch mentality is suppressed. No carebear.

Freshly spawned people wont pass the opportunity to kill someone that's geared up if they can, happened to me the other day, dude acted friendly and killed me for my ak and alice pack. Knowing this, geared up players aren't gonna let someone they don't know get near them.

The idea is that people tend to behave like dicks because they're lacking the fear of having just ONE single life like IRL. This mechanic will make you think twice before pulling the trigger. The key is' date=' that this doesn't affect a bandit while being in-game. The penalty is only applied after being dead.

Killing on sight will probably become less common. Because nobody wants to stockpile hours and hours of waiting for a respawn.

[/quote']

I think what you have said is entirely irrelevant. because the reason people kill on sight, is because they DO value that single life.. not because they do not. they shoot first as a preventative measure.

The idea is that people tend to behave like dicks because they're lacking the fear of having just ONE single life like IRL. This mechanic will make you think twice before pulling the trigger. The key is' date=' that this doesn't affect a bandit while being in-game. The penalty is only applied after being dead.

Killing on sight will probably become less common. Because nobody wants to stockpile hours and hours of waiting for a respawn.

[/quote']

I think what you have said is entirely irrelevant. because the reason people kill on sight, is because they DO value that single life.. not because they do not. they shoot first as a preventative measure.

why is it a preventative measure that has no down side?

It shoudln't be stacked all the time, it should be stacked only the first 1-3 murders so the real bandits wouldn't get handicapped, only the "beanwar" would get stopped as you said. If a real bandit with let's say 20-30 kills got killed he could wait days to respawn, which would be just extreme.

I kill everyone on sight now but I don't like it, this is not what this game is about imho. It had much more spirit given into it when the bandit skin was implemented.

I personally think it's fine the way it is. You shouldn't have to be punished for a playstyle, and banditing is definitely a playstyle. And yes, it is a punishment to have to wait longer to respawn.

All thats needed is to either remove the makrorov pistol from spawn or reduce the amount of clips to 1.

To get riddd of the stupid costal deathmatch area' date=' as it it now visiting elektro or cherno on a server with more then 10 players ends up in slugfests :<

[/quote']

Maybe, just maybe, you could try avoiding Elektro and Cherno?