Sign in to follow this  
Treze13

NOOBHERE Possibly stupid question, but can I grab ARMA from Steam and play DayZ?

you can get it from steam but you need ARMA2: Combined Ops or ARMA2: free + operation arrowhead

So I can get Combined Ops then get straight to downloading Day Z?

Thanks for the replies so far, love you all xox

but yes, the steam versions work just fine

Steam can throw some wonkiness with the second title you execute after installation - some nonsense involving the serial number. I got around that with a system re-build I was going to do anyway and just executing operation arrowhead before loading up DayZ. No idea if ARMA II works or not, kind of don't care.

Have zero intention of playing the base game haha, just heard great things about this mod.

Post back here if you are having problems. The stock scenario of buyng it on Steam and then installing the mod over it is not always as simple as this sentence makes it out to be.

Your installation / modifying / patching / running experience may vary.

i got it trough steam to bought Arma II Combined Operations. Install those 2 than start them up to see if they work. Start Arma II Combined Operations if it all works than u can download DayZ and update it with the sixlauncher/Updater.

Yet for me i had a problem with the serial key on steam and would not let me play DayZ. If thats the case u got to Right click Arma II in steam and get the validate cashe files. This fixed the problem for me.

DayZ is one of the best ingame experience i had since mario or megaman 2 back in its days. 25 bucks for arma II and a mod thats in alpha and yet has so much fans and ofcourse a good game experience is rare for the prize its on. Hope this helps a bit.

Edit: Also the stand alone is comming out and will cost some money. So if u want to buy the mod now with arma II its awsome. Yet keep it in consideration that they developing a Stand alone on it to and dont be one of those people who complains afterwards. ^_^

That would mean u bought Arma II for a free mod.

Edited by Xardorian

Purchased Arma 2: Combined Operations just the other day. Used sixupdater w/o any troubles.

The wiki mentioned running both games prior to installation of DayZ for multiple other launchers/installers, which did not appear to be required for the sixupdater - I did so anyway. Works fine, no complications. However, if running Arma 2:OA via Steam, it's suggested you run Steam as Administrator, otherwise compiler issues may appear.

Edited by dice

Don't do it from Steam atm, Valve haven't bought enough CD keys from Bohemia, so they've oversold them and anyone that has just bought it cannot play it because of this. So buy it from anywhere but steam.

Play the tutorials on ArmA first.

No need really if you have played any MMORPG or even any RPG online before.

Don't do it from Steam atm, Valve haven't bought enough CD keys from Bohemia, so they've oversold them and anyone that has just bought it cannot play it because of this. So buy it from anywhere but steam.

Really? I got mine off steam around a week ago.

Ok, but just to be clear, if i own ARMA 2, I can just go get OA from the official site, right? I don't need CO, just both the games that come in it?

Correct. You just need Arma 2 + Operation Arrowhead. It doesn't matter if you buy them seperate or togeather in the Combined operations Combo pack.