Razzle Dazzle

To all server admins

I literally just got a server yesterday, and its been hacked a few times already. Im aolready tired of it. Im going to cancel it if i cant figure out how to make it a private hive and lock it.

The server I admin is going dark at the end of the billing cycole as well... It is not worth the $$ spent each month just to be teleported and dropped on the beach repeatedly every nite. As it is, I shut down the server when I and the 12 ppl I play with nightly are not on. The group I game with range from 38-65 years old and don't have the patience to wait for the devs and Battle-Bullshit to get the kiddies under control. Blacklist? Fuck it, save me some money and frustration. My only hope is that the standalone will have this crap solved or that Warz will up the ante with the "legal" option to password a server, If the "community" needs full access to all servers then the Devs should give incentive to keep it open, or let them foot the bill. Make an option that locking the server loses persistence to the live hive and the problem is solved..

But until then the hackers ruin a very good game. This post is not meant to disrespect the Dev Team, They have done what I consider an outstanding job on this mod, Especially considering the growth they've had to deal with, and I thank them for a fresh gaming environment. I just wish to enjoy it in a hack free environment which is impossible without locking it down.

End rant...

• Like 4

i guess when the devs realize there isn't any servers to play there mod on maybe they will think back and say damn those server admins were right. I dont see how it would affect the mod by letting us password the servers., there would be more control of players, and i bet more people would rent a server.i guess the devs just have control issues, never played a mod where there was so many rules to play the game and host servers.

• Like 1

I have nothing but support for the OP

The support rendered to server hosts has been and remains awful. For those of us that have been hosting servers since the very beginning its particularly disappointing. We have been providing the servers to allow for the massive player expansion, and we do not get any help with our issues and on top of that our hands are tied on almost ALL aspects of administration. As I said back when this mod started it seems that all the server hosts are permitted to do is pay for the servers and take the rage of players when they break or are constantly accused of abuses that we can not possible have performed.

At my reckoning there are about 2500-3000 servers in total now , if we use an average figure of from $50 - $100 per month ranging from hosted to self run. we will use $75 and we will use 2750 servers.

2750*$75p/m = $206,250 per month

The hosts are paying upwards of two hundred thousand dollars a month to finance the success of this mod and its subsequent stand alone release. We are not feeling, nor have we ever felt even a modicum of appreciation and we have certainly had no support.

We do not expect the earth but something as simple as allowing admins to ban hackers or getting some dedicated support guys to assist the hosts with db related issues. How about processing the massive backlog of server addition support tickets so that we can update our mission pbo's ?

Or even just to have them not threaten us with blacklisting for trying to stop hackers destroying our servers.

Take from this what you will, but I for one am very disappointed.

Edited by VPope
  • Like 11

The rules would be perfectly fine if there were, say, 100 servers and a close-knit community. Obviously that's not the case and things need to change for the standalone version if rocket wants any chance of long lasting success with it.

This is getting dumb just got hacked again practicly 10 min ago got TP'd from the market in electro to an airfeild with about 7 other players in gillie suits and vehicles started spawning out of thin air ,i usualy play on GB #00 normaly a good server but now just another casuality on the lack of admin support to stop it , i am also closing down my server end of this month we have no POWER to stop this shit coz rocket keeps handcuffing us and blameing the admins for all the evils of the world , it may not be in his "vision" but password protecting the servers is the best short term solution at the moment

• Like 1

That is the only answer i have if there isnt a admin during the day to monitor the server then it shouldnt be up, If i get black listed for it then its one less server for the public to play in. need servers to play a mod unless devs are paying for servers now

Why not have multiple Admins on at various times of the day to cover/protect your server 24/7?

You made an indirect threat my response go ahead.

A million agree if all other stats that matter speak otherwise player retention is dropping like a rock players in the last 24 hours has been cut in half why don't you post a chart.

But keep enforcing your restrictive rules on the people who pay for servers they will be dropping soon enough.

No one threatened you, indirectly or otherwise.

Not to argue with you directly but I don't believe the refined server hosting rules say I have to leave my server up 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Locking it is against the rules, but what leads you to believe I am required to leave the server up 24 hours a day?

I'm simply asking because we can barely keep control of our server environments even when we have active admins on and available. What we just leave it up when there are no admins at all and let our monthly payment fund a hacker free for all so we can log back in to a flaming mountain of helicopters and parachuting cows?

Seems a little unreasonable to me.

I also have to agree with the previous poster. I never read a rule in the agreement that states we'll get blacklisted if the server is shut down for a few hours a day.

No one has said there is a rule whereby a server may be blacklisted for not being up 24/7. The DayZ Forum staff member indicated a possibility of blacklisting a server Admin who stated he wants his server up only when he is online. This presupposes the Admin is controlling access to the server. This further implies the Admin may very well restart the server if something happens he doesn't like, such as having his vehicle destroyed or stolen or perhaps himself being killed.

Again, the DayZ Forum staff member was simply saying a possible future action might be a blacklist. At no point did said staff member threaten or otherwise indicate a rule was being broken.

I have nothing but support for the OP

The support rendered to server hosts has been and remains awful. For those of us that have been hosting servers since the very beginning its particularly disappointing. We have been providing the servers to allow for the massive player expansion, and we do not get any help with our issues and on top of that our hands are tied on almost ALL aspects of administration. As I said back when this mod started it seems that all the server hosts are permitted to do is pay for the servers and take the rage of players when they break or are constantly accused of abuses that we can not possible have performed.

At my reckoning there are about 2500-3000 servers in total now , if we use an average figure of from $50 - $100 per month ranging from hosted to self run. we will use $75 and we will use 2750 servers.

2750*$75p/m = $206,250 per month

The hosts are paying upwards of two hundred thousand dollars a month to finance the success of this mod and its subsequent stand alone release. We are not feeling, nor have we ever felt even a modicum of appreciation and we have certainly had no support.

We do not expect the earth but something as simple as allowing admins to ban hackers or getting some dedicated support guys to assist the hosts with db related issues. How about processing the massive backlog of server addition support tickets so that we can update our mission pbo's ?

Or even just to have them not threaten us with blacklisting for trying to stop hackers destroying our servers.

Take from this what you will, but I for one am very disappointed.

I want to assure you, the DayZ Development Team is receiving no funds from server hosts. Your claim that you and other server hosts are somehow financing the DayZ Mod is utter fantasy.

read what he said

without servers there would be no mod and the ppl paying for them are basically helping fund the mod (sure not giving the money directly to rocket but servers dont just magiclly appear and run for free) ....seemd logicial to me

• Like 5

yeah ped 24/7 admins my server went to 40 players full 27/7 to 8 players a day. I love when people who don't host servers post because they don't know the problems server admins dal with, All were doing is stating a point that the only way to protect servers from the rampant hacking is let us password protect our server.

• Like 3

I am also probably shutting down my server after the first lease. This is out of control, and i really refuse to use all my spare time to monitor and defend my server from hacker attacks as it is now.

I am still buying the standalone when it goes live, but i probably wont host a server again due to the circumstances.

• Like 4

I want to assure you, the DayZ Development Team is receiving no funds from server hosts. Your claim that you and other server hosts are somehow financing the DayZ Mod is utter fantasy.

Just how would you know this? I'm quite sure that there is some crossover from dayz team to HFB host in the very least. I deal with HFB support team then I see them on here on the forums as part of the dayz team. Hmm, assure me more please. Moron.

I love how people keep speaking for the dev team like they are a part of it, and actually know anything about what is going on! Damn, stop the ass kissing, it's disgusting. Are you part of the dev team for dayz? Are you a dayz server host such as HFB? NO? Oh then STOP speaking for them! You know nothing and yet you come on here and "assure" us as if you do know. Talk about fantasy... Go troll a different thread idiot.

Edited by chisel
  • Like 3

Why not have multiple Admins on at various times of the day to cover/protect your server 24/7?

Most servers are hosted by individuals not company's with 24/7 staff coverage to monitor them, even those hosted by clans are unlikely to have people over the correct time zones with the required skill sets to provide admin coverage to their servers.

The money we pay be it from our own pockets (as it mostly seems to be) or via donations from the community goes to pay for the running of the servers. If there were no server (or even just an insufficient number) the player base could and would not have ever gotten this large. you cant fit 100,000 concurent players into 5 - 50 slot servers.

The work we are doing and the money we are paying is directly related to the success of this mod. Obviously the mod is good an people would want to play it regardless , after all that's why we run the servers in the first place. But how many players would have stuck around if the server availability was like it was in the first few months, we all got RSI smashing the enter key to be able to play.

Edited by VPope
  • Like 5

Ped, let's let the DayZ Dev Team speak for themselves, they don't need you to do it for them.

You don't admin/own a server evidently. You're a staunch supporter of the Dev team - that's great - SO ARE WE. If we weren't, we certainly wouldn't be putting our money where our mouth is and hosting servers for people to play on. So yes, our contribution to the project is visibility - we create places for people to play. The development team doesn't do that - we do. We're not telling these people that they're awful individuals or that their mod is bad, we just want some support on our end so we can make the experience better for everybody. Can't you get on board with that rather than just putting people on blast without any factual evidence to back it up?

• Like 5

Thats how its always been since the beginning with this mod , Server admins are always the bad guys and for this forum to have a ban thread where the public can bash server admins is retarded. My server us607 is getting shutdown for good and my whole clan quit playing this game. When they ok passworded servers i will be back . Thanks for all the good post on here and hopefully the devs listen to the guys that keep there mod going because its us that pay for servers that keep games and mods going.

• Like 1

Though you quoted me, I don't think you read my post.

Also, it seems that about a million players, give or take, disagree.

The 1 million count doesn't mean active players but unique players so basically everyone who tried it. Just saying.

• Like 1

it is fucking dumb that we are not allowed to do anything against the hackers.

Battleeye is trying to do something but they will not be able to do enough to stop it. no anti cheat can remove all hackers.

server admins cant do shit. were not even allowed to kick people from the server if we dont have a REALLY good reason.

I say fuck that I ban people if needed. (luckily no one atm). I just saw a second huey on my server. can I do something? no.

I cant even give proof to dayz team because the server logs are clean from those players I think have it. doesnt even show that they spawned a heli or even a singe peace of weapon.

fix the rules so server admins can do something or this mod and standalone game will be dead in the future. probably in a near future because it wont be a server up.

• Like 2

Im not allowed to password or lock my server, and most times it seems like I have more cheaters than not. So Im just going to ban/kick people. Because for all I know they are hackers and since I cant protect myself via lock/pw im going to assume everyone I dont know is a hacker and ban/kick them.

It sucks but im paying 50 bucks a month to play a game where I get teleported to a part of the map and shot in the face.

No.

Im taking a stand, damnit.

• Like 6

This will probably get me a slap on the hands but would be worth it...

I think ALL server admins who are sick on the helpless feeling of not being able to provide a "hacker free gaming environment" should pick a 3 day period and all shutdown our servers for the whole 72 hours. Maybe the "community" would realize that we provide the city streets that they love to scavenge. 1 million plus players would have hell trying to play in a handful of servers that were afraid of being blacklisted..........

This doesn't even take into account the accusations we have thrown at us for being abusive or ban-happy from the ungrates that populate our streets. Its time to roll up the sidewalks on Aug.17,18 & 19

Like Ch3shir3 states above: "Im taking a stand, damnit"

• Like 11

This will probably get me a slap on the hands but would be worth it...

I think ALL server admins who are sick on the helpless feeling of not being able to provide a "hacker free gaming environment" should pick a 3 day period and all shutdown our servers for the whole 72 hours. Maybe the "community" would realize that we provide the city streets that they love to scavenge. 1 million plus players would have hell trying to play in a handful of servers that were afraid of being blacklisted..........

This doesn't even take into account the accusations we have thrown at us for being abusive or ban-happy from the ungrates that populate our streets. Its time to roll up the sidewalks on Aug.17,18 & 19

Like Ch3shir3 states above: "Im taking a stand, damnit"

Im WITH you!

• Like 2

The first day me and my friends turned on our server we immediately got teleported to the middle of electro, then we go to skalisty to see if the heli(main reason we rented a server) was there and it was but there was already a diffrent clan(3-4ppl) server hopping it, me and a friend got into a fire fight with them we kill 2 of them than all of a sudden the heli explodes and the cowards disconnect when we check the logs we see that on of those guys from that clan spawned in with 2 pipebombs(satchel charges) I only found 1 in 3 months playing dayz and later on he even spawned with 5 pipebombs, ask our server support if that's enough proof to kick/ban someone and they tell us: "no". we had 20 players on our server playing at that moment 50% of them spawned with hacked weapons such a g36c sd and pdw sd. so 10 legit players minus me and my friends is 6 legit players in the first hour going online. first and last time paying for a dayz server since we can't do shit about hackers

• Like 4

I have shut down my server. We admins are not able to do something against hackers, because we have not rights to do. The logs are useless since 1.7.2.5. The new patches are an invitation from Rocket and Bohemia to the hackers. We pay for servers that hackers can play on. And if we do something against, we get blacklistet. We have to accept everything. Thats not fair. isn´t it?

We admins need help! Please Rocket, Bohemia and Battleye stop the hackers asap. The situation runs out of control. Give the admins more rights for there servers, and change the rules. The current rules are good for the mod, but not for the gameplay of the players and admins. Its an invitation for hackers.

Rocket can try run there own servers for 1 million players and see what will happen. I´m pretty sure that he will get frustrated the same way as we get.

• Like 3

I play dayz at night and my server gets hacked during the day most of the time, Since the bullshit rules for the server i pay for says i cant password the server to keep asshole hackers out , I am shutting my server down till i am ready to play and can monitor my server for hackers. Hackers cant hack the server if it isnt up lol

Run a parse on the .rpt file and ban as needed its that easy why u raging

In the same boat as the OP. I don't know what else to do. We're trying to support the community while having a server to call home, and hackers are just swarming the servers and destroying everyone's hard work. And since the server hosting guidelines are so strict they actually encourage hacking, I'm at the point now where I don't know if it will be worth it to renew my server come next month.

• Like 1

heres the situation ...

We have 2 options

1) Give in to battleeye Give in to hackers then rage quit as admins/players/supporters...

or

2) Go private there are many options out there this forum isnt allowed to discuss such posts search the internet do the research u decide but my vote is 2..

Also as of late anyone else notice the people that are being defensive about us complaining about the devs i suggest they look at most of not all the their new titles on the forums ive seen alot of changes since standalone was announced and i hope im not the only one. can someone say BROWN NOSE?

I love u rocket great mod but. just like u most of us dont have money to blow on random solutions and hope for the best... bad enough economy is bad in the states as im sure alot of other countries.

We are people too and us server hosters are suffering greatly.

Something has to be done.

also u know hacking is bad when ur own child says dad this is really gay after u get teleported and die on your own server....

P.S how many admins does it take to ban a hacker?

Edited by MovingShadow
  • Like 4