Razzle Dazzle

To all server admins

All i want for my servers is a proper tool or logfile to recognize a hack/cheat properly without being accused to abuse or breaking the rules.

I pay for two servers from two different hosters and one of it doesn't even give me access to the scripts.log file. So this one server i will get rid off soon, because i can't doing anything to prevent or find evidence of a hack at all. It seems even some hosters are afraid that they could break the rules and lose their deal.

That's really frustrating.

All i want for my servers is a proper tool or logfile to recognize a hack/cheat properly without being accused to abuse or breaking the rules.

I pay for two servers from two different hosters and one of it doesn't even give me access to the scripts.log file. So this one server i will get rid off soon, because i can't doing anything to prevent or find evidence of a hack at all. It seems even some hosters are afraid that they could break the rules and lose their deal.

You should know that likely 90% of hackers are using tools to bypass Battleye detection. You don't even see it in the scripts.log anyway. If you see the "Battleye has added new script detection" messages on your server, just know that these new features only affect the hackers not using a bypasser/stealth tool.

Though you quoted me, I don't think you read my post.

Also, it seems that about a million players, give or take, disagree.

i guess there isnt a hacking problem then.... move along

I was going to host a server, but after reading this forum and threads like this I've changed my mind.

If the standalone game is anything like the mod, it will die before it's born.

I was going to host a server, but after reading this forum and threads like this I've changed my mind.

If the standalone game is anything like the mod, it will die before it's born.

The mod is dying out. Quite a few of my friends have quit because of the hackers, and a bunch of the guys I run with are talking about dropping the game for a while because of the hackers.

I love the game/mod, but script kiddies are running the game. The fact that a bypass has been available for the last 2 months, which allows hackers unrestricted access to do shit on the server and not get reported in any log files, is insane. This needs to be addressed.

Good luck with that happening now that standalone has been announced. I'm pretty sure DayZ for ARMA2 is just about dead from the dev team perspective while they focus on developing standalone.

The way I see it, there are two major problems right now:

1. The community has been crafted in a way that puts Server Admins as second class citizens to players, which is just wrong
  2. The development team seems to be ignoring the primary issue in DayZ right now: lack of ability to identify hackers and log attacks, no trust for server admins to manage their servers, lack of tools and resources in determining hackers and script kiddies, lack of direction and support or even acknowledgement of a problem from the top brass in DayZ

Personally, before focusing on new features, they should be trying to fix the glaring problem, so we can get back to doing what we're supposed to be doing: testing and reporting DayZ server issues and errors.

• Like 3

You won't be getting any tools. Dev team has made it perfectly clear that protecting players from potential admin abuse (since the dev team consistantly fails to ensure only responsible people run dayz servers) is far more important than combating hackers. The last straw for us was when we got an e-mail stating we were no longer in control of server restarting.

Download DayZ Radar. Dev team threw a shitfest when they learned that someone had made their own log file phaser because ZOMG admins are going to use it to cheat, so you'll have to google around to find a copy. I'm willing to bet it won't be long before the dev team takes away log file access because you might use it to cheat....... even though you can go download an easy to use script to cheat.

Amazing. The dev team has gone as far as removing the ability to reboot our own servers because it "might get abused," yet they do NOTHING about the rampart hacking, then they throw a shitfest and ban left and right when someone tries to get the word out of this great admin tool. I guess they think if they take everything away from the admins the hacking will stop?

Edited by SPESSMEHREN

You won't be getting any tools. Dev team has made it perfectly clear that protecting players from potential admin abuse (since the dev team consistantly fails to ensure only responsible people run dayz servers) is far more important than combating hackers.

If that's true it is the biggest bullshit I've seen in my entire life :D

Honestly I would like to meet those dev geniuses because it is beyond my imagination :D

I am extremely relived to see that other hosts are as frustrated with the current state of affairs as I am.

I am also extremely disappointed that we have had no "official reply" to our concerns from the Dev team. I would like to get some answers.

• Like 4

yeah the only reply we get is we wil get blacklisted lol I agree with a server shutdown and it should be for a whole week almost like a server strike . i think they would listen then all i want is passworded servers where we let the public in but we have more control who comes in.

They wont do so on the for the fact that they already know battle eye is garbage yet it is still pushed on us as the only option. That my friends is not the only option use their hive or your own. I

guarantee the ladder is the obvious answer to these problems. Our new private server is already up and we can police it now properly we love they game hence why we are still running the mod. Yes you can still support the mod but unfortunately its not official to them. We are not in no way bashing this game or the devs just wanting to get what we pay for as admins.

Edited by MovingShadow

And there are reports already coming in Lingor is getting hacked as well.

Hmm. I think this is not the answear what the admins want to hear. Isn´t it?

Let us admins know that you do something against hacking right now. Or let us know what we can do to protect our servers where your game/mod is hostet on. Let the million players have fun and don´t get hacked. We all know that we play an alpha. The players also know that we all get hacked every day. We support and pay for the platform to make your game more and more populate.

I like this mod but i don´t like hackers.

Hmm. I think this is not the answear what the admins want to hear. Isn´t it?

Let us admins know that you do something against hacking right now. Or let us know what we can do to protect our servers where your game/mod is hostet on. Let the million players have fun and don´t get hacked. We all know that we play an alpha. The players also know that we all get hacked every day. We support and pay for the platform to make your game more and more populate.

I like this mod but i don´t like hackers.

And I dont like abusive admins who ban without grounds either. *shrugs*

No offense but are you not a DayZ forum team member and you post responses like that?

This is the response we get in return...

Apparently it goes down to hackers have rights and server admins and owners don't.

Assumption's: Still, intuitive assumptions about behavior is only the starting point of systematic analysis, for alone they do not yield many interesting implications.

Gary Becker

I see anyone can be a DayZ forum team member these days.

Edited by MovingShadow
  • Like 1

And there is the problem with this community right there: Abusive Admins > Hackers

Nevermind the fact that many admins that lock their servers, or are twitchy on the banning/kicking triggers are because of the number of hacks that occur on servers per day, and the number of incidents that admins have to deal with. Nevermind the fact that there is no support or acknowledgement of a problem from the DayZ team about the hackers.

Take rockets recent awesome decision of reducing the amount of logging information available to admins because "ADMIN ABUSE ADMIN ABUSE PROTECT US FROM THE ADMINS".

I've never seen in a community before the hatred driven by the development team towards server owners/operators, and this only gets instilled in their player base. This is to the point that when Thunderdome occurs, many players blame admin abuse.

And it's funny, because many of us Server Admins like the mod and want to help better it and provide places to play. It's the reason we pay $50-$200+/mo

Oh well, will see what happens over the next few months and into fall. I have a feeling that the attitude that the DayZ "team" is displaying right now will drastically change by Christmas.

• Like 4

The community needs power, because they are powerless. Without a community the mod/game is doomed to fail.

• Like 2

i can haz ur beanZ disorder?

they need to put some chef boyardee in this game we need some spagetti O's

maybe since they are going standalone they will get food sponsorz

Edited by MovingShadow

What would you have the DayZ team do about the hackers? Even if they lessened any restrictions on what you can do with your server hackers will still be a problem. Its a problem with the game, not the mod, do remember that there is only so much rocket can edit with touching the Arma 2 source code, which as far as I am aware he cant edit at the moment.

Admin abuse is a focus point for the team as they can control what admins can and cant do. They can stop admins from doing unfair things on their servers, they cant stop the hackers, they can make sure that clans dont kick dozens of people off servers for clan members but they wont be able to do much to stop helicopter strafing runs that are firing explosive buses.

Admin control is easy to control, while hackers will continue to find ways around any measure taken against them. People who hack actively seek ways around protection, while admins use the tools at their disposal.

• Like 1

Yes. I have banned 4 people and I reversed it. I have posted every ban in the forums to get help from the devs. I have seen yesterday that one of the players I banned before has now a global ban. And this was after battleye has reversed there false positives. And now you tell me that i do admin abuse. I try do keep my server hack free. Nothing more.

Your sentence sir is unnecessary. Thanks for not answearing the questions for help the admins. You blame admins nothing more. Please stay away from the forums when you not able to manage your job.

I´ve done a mistake and have seen that it was wrong. Now its time that you open your eyes.

Thanks.

i smell a APB situation coming.

For those that dont know APB:

it is a game with alot of potential.

but after a few months of retail version, they had to shut the game down. bankrupt + no anti cheat that was active + cheaters obviously.

and now its launched again as a free to play model with micropayments. by another company. yet again its crap = full of cheaters. and well ye MICRO PAYMENTS.

So ye i smell an APB situation coming for Dayz

• Like 1

This will probably get me a slap on the hands but would be worth it...

I think ALL server admins who are sick on the helpless feeling of not being able to provide a "hacker free gaming environment" should pick a 3 day period and all shutdown our servers for the whole 72 hours. Maybe the "community" would realize that we provide the city streets that they love to scavenge. 1 million plus players would have hell trying to play in a handful of servers that were afraid of being blacklisted..........

This doesn't even take into account the accusations we have thrown at us for being abusive or ban-happy from the ungrates that populate our streets. Its time to roll up the sidewalks on Aug.17,18 & 19

Like Ch3shir3 states above: "Im taking a stand, damnit"

I am with you on this, un-wittingly I set up a server on a whim with HFB servers turn around time was amazingly fast... 50 bux a month isn't so bad with 10 clan members contributing but after reading all of the above and the countless other threads i can see that server admins powers are severely limited. I would happily assist in the organisation of a dayz admin\server strike as I have read through countless threads that have been posted by Server admins... the only people commenting are server admins saying "yeah seriously wtf is with that" and fan boys (half of which are most likely hackers themselves" backing the the Dev team even though im sure not one of them has donated to assist in keeping a server running... im yet to see someone from the dev team come on and say to the very least... guys we have it under control be patient... nope just let us brood and shut down the servers.

with a large enough group of servers that go down there will be nothing but notice taken as well as action taken, I shut my server down during the offpeak times for aus to stop pathetic hackers from ruining the server at least while im not there. battle-eye anti-cheat is severely flawed and they cannot seriously expect us to rely on there ability to handle the hackers can they? i see "Legit Global Bans up to 11,000" legit? one of my accounts got banned because a hacker decided to telle my boat on to the land... battle eye banned him before he killed me i laughed... then got banned for telleporting. flawed anti-cheat - server control limitations - lack of Dev team support for people who believe in their work so much they fork over the cash to pay for more servers so MORE people will be able to play which means MORE people will buy the game...

I honestly feel sad about this regardless of the standalone coming this mod is by far the best game i have played in so long, it's even sadder that the hackers are but 50% of the reason this game is starting to sink.

my rant is over but if your serious about organising a shutdown, email me at notap@socaus.net