Callow

Setting up / cutting down barbed wire

Hi guys. I've looked over the DayZ Wiki and used the search option on the forums here and still haven't been able to find much information on barbed wire. I've had barbed wire kits in my inventory and a toolkit, but right clicking on either or attempting to find a drop down menu option yielded no results. I've also found deployed barbed wire and had a toolbox on me, and had no drop down menu option or right click option with my toolkit.

So, the question is pretty simple. How do I interact with barbed wire?

You apparently have to target the little struts holding the wire up, and their hitboxes are extremely finicky. I have successfully managed to remove barbed wire once, and tried many times after that with no luck.

They say you have to target the wood, but sometimes it just fails even if you properly aim at it.

The barbed wire griefing in this game is getting absurd. You should be able to move through it at the cost of starting to bleed or something. It's not impossible to do, it just hurts (I know this from plenty of experience).

You have to target the posts and use the mouse wheel menu to remove it. I've removed it before with no problems.

As for how to place it... I have no clue at all.

To remove it you need to put your crosshair on the posts, sometimes move around and try various angles. As far as putting it down, you just scroll wheel and it should give you an option. Right now there is a bug with scroll options that effects all scroll wheel actions, where once you do one of them, you will not be able to do anything else until you abort and come back in. Should be fixed by next update.

I don't think there are any pre-requisites for setting up or taking down the barbed wire, especially not an entrenching tool since I don't have one. Although I do have a toolkit in my active inventory, so that may or may not be required. I haven't had opportunity to SCIENCE! this yet.

Also, you can {V}ault over the barbed wire the same as any other waist-high obstacle.

To set up:

1) Have the barbed wire in your active inventory.

2) Look down at the ground

3) Mouse-wheel until you select something akin to "Set Up Barbed Wire." It'll be obvious. Select it.

4) ???

5) Scream in terror and unload your magazine as the zeds clip right through.

To take down:

1) Ensure that you won't get nom'd or ventilated while taking down the wire.

2) Check again.

3) Stare at one of the fence posts, wiggling and squirming like a beached fish until it gives you the "Remove Barbed Wire" prompt. It'll be equally obvious.

4) Mouse-wheel until that option is highlighted and select it.

5) ???

6) It was a trap. Have a nice death.

~ Ferrard