Erikz

Should I just shoot everyone?

If they arnt in your TS channel, they are the enemy! Kill em all, let god sort em out.

I leave un armed alone, but very rarly around coast myself, so seldom see em... had a dude with an axe come running toward me once, north o NE airfield.. put a burst o m240 into the ground at his feet... 180 degree turn around. ;-) Was more satidfying than killin him(obviously running for a camp up there some where.

Edited by KingOchaos

Killing everyone makes the decision easy. If you want a more complex game, try following their movements and watching them for a bit. This may give you clues on whether you can trust them. It's always going to be a risk encountering new people, but honestly the risks are what make the game fun. If you kill everyone you just become part of the problem.

Edited by derrida

If I see someone from a distance I usually just leave them be and watch their movement. But if I run into someone in a city, I usually shoot on sight, because often there isn't enough time to establish if its a friendly or not.. you can never be to careful..

no, just who represents a danger for you,,and if you don't know you can take your risks and try an approach..maybe surprising them with you gun or just watch and leave them go. then if you need their loot or you are starving(i think if you starve it's all your falut and you should die instead of kill someone else)

you can also rob them or kill them..but shoot everyone is pointless and stupid

Unfortunatly id say yes... its kill or be killed 99% of the time...

However, with the bandit skin coming back into action on 1.7.2.5.. i think it will be easier to determine if they may be hostile or not.. but even then.. still not 100%!!

I play on DE 1375 if anyone would like to run together - you must be able to navigate tho!

Edited by Courleone

I had a similar story about the second or third time i played the game. I met a guy near the coast, I had a gun and he had not and when he spotted me he yelled out "friendly", so i replied "ok!". Like 5 seconds after he left, i got sniped by someone and i believe someone from his group/friends. I wont trust anyone from here on!

I just had a M16A2 with like 15 mags of ammo, Coyote 24-slot backpack, G17 with 7 mags, bandages, painkillers, 8 cooked meat, couple of drinks, at Stary Sobor when this dude from the bushes just mows me down with his Mk48 (i think). Bam, 178 zombie kills later, i meet one guy and i just get shot like that.

It's been like this for the past 50 guys i made, i try n be helpfull or just leave them alone when i see someone, not alerting them or anything, then they show up in the same house where i am in and BAM instant death.

My word of advice, shoot EVERYONE on sight, even a dude with a Hatchet, or you're dead. Plain and simple. It's the cruel community this game has become as it's so easy to kill someone without any (seriously, ANY) consequences.

Hope they fix something in the standalone game for this.

The community exists in the forum 'not' in the game!

Chernarus "is" the PvP area...

Shoot people? Yes!

Shoot everyone? Depends...

When i started playing the game i was you friendly average noob. Scared of zombies, no weapon, no clue where to go, all that stuff.

The first time i found a hatchet i killed like 18 zombies before dying. I didn't care. To be honest i can't even remember my first kill on another player.

The important thing is: I got killed many many times by other players. Let me tell you some stories that turned me into a "Bandit", "Asshole", "One of them", call it whatever you want.

Going to Balota airfield with a friend. Tower is clear, got a M14 AIM and my friend got an AK or something. First barrack is clear. Second barrack there is a guy. As soon as he sees my friend he starts shooting. No talking, no writing, nothing. My friend dies and i kill the guy. Now i know that it's a dangerous area. You see two survivors with weapons, naturally you try to kill them if you're alone and you have nowhere to run, i understand that.

Another one. I was spawning somewhere in the water. WTF? I swim to the coast. Suddenly i see 2 guys. Both with DMR. I write "pls kill me i spawned in the water."

No reaction... I follow them. Suddenly another guys appears with a M107 or AS50, can't remember. He's part of their group. I write "pls kill me!!!!". Still no reaction.

I steal 2 bloodbags from one of them after they dropped a hatchet for me... wtf?

Anyway, i follow them into a town. I kill the zombies they aggro with my hatchet. We raid the town, i get a weapon and some stuff. Food, Map, etc.

They walk towards a tent in the middle of the town. Empty. Suddenly the Sniper guy kills me... I helped them. I could have even killed 2 of them.

I mean yeah, i stole 2 bloodbags. Big deal. Why did they never respond to what i wrote? I helped them and killed the zombies they aggroed. I didn't even care.

Usually i don't kill unarmed people. I don't want to waste bullets on them. I even told a noob not to come close as i would kill him. He didn't listen.

I stood up to throw a smoke at him... got shot by someone else. The noob died a few seconds after me.

I only had one single person talk to me. He had a hatchet and asked if i would kill him. I told him that he should just keep his distance with his hatchet and everything is fine. I didn't kill him.

The weird part is that the first person i met in this game... gave me a rifle. And then ran away. Zombies chasing him. I took out the zombies. Never saw that guy again. Never said a word.

Or every person i asked to "kill me pls" just ran away in panic or didn't do shit at all... why? I have a broken leg and want them to kill me. They run away...

Now i am "that guy" who waits in the bushes with his sniper for 1 hour just to shoot you if he feels like it. I still don't kill unarmed people. But if i see a dead person and you are close i will shoot you if you have a weapon. No questions asked...

The problem is that, at least from my experience, nearly nobody will try to communicate with you. They just fire at you. As the guy before me just said:

"The community exists in the forum 'not' in the game!"

Do unto others before they do onto you.

Nothing makes my heart stop more than sighting an unknown player in DayZ. No other game has created that absolute sense of dread in me. Gah, I can't get enough. XD

Unfortunatly id say yes... its kill or be killed 99% of the time...

However, with the bandit skin coming back into action on 1.7.2.5.. i think it will be easier to determine if they may be hostile or not.. but even then.. still not 100%!!

I play on DE 1375 if anyone would like to run together - you must be able to navigate tho!

Oh please tell me you're not serious! Why are they bringing back the bandit skin? It is completely pointless, and is no real indication at all about the players status. If someone starts shooting at me, but have not killed before, and I get the kill on them, BAM, murder count up to 1 (Really? I get a murder for shooting in self defence? Seems fair...) This could happen several times, and then I end up a bandit, for killing people trying to kill me.

Not only that but when you meet someone you will not know just by looking at their clothes whether they are good people or not, it just takes so much out of the game when you "know" whether they kill or not. Also what happens to people with the bandit skin and ghillie suits? If it covers over the bandit skin then it is irrelevant as it will be exactly the same as before. If it doesn't cover the bandit skin then it's a waste of time wearing one for most people anyway.

I do not shoot anyone who does not shoot at me. In real life, if there were a zombie outbreak, I would not kill except in self-defense. I would rather die than sacrifice my morals.

I play as I would do in real life; I try to survive and ignore others. If I ever manage to gear up (Lord knows I've got enough magazines... I just need the guns), I'm killing zombies left, right and center.

Today i was camping out in the Church of Elektro, occasionally aggroing zombies with my AKM for minor loot such as food, sodas, an extra AKM clip etc... Somethimes going to the firestation and the shopping mart. Today i heard gunshots, and talking on the mic. I was anxiously in over behind the preacher stand near the end of the church, facing the doorway. After like 30 minutes, nothing heard anymore, i decide to continue my zombie slaughter, aggroed a couple, and as i was taking them down nice and easy, suddenly a dude rushed in with like a couple of zombies behind him. I was like, wtf?? which right mind rushes into a church where he can clearly hear AKM fire coming from and zombies storming the place? Anyway, from straight panic i shoot a couple of shots, but he quickly yelled 'friendly friendly don't shoot me!' He ran behind the right burial crypt thingy as i picked off the last zombies.

I stated: 'Get out now and i let you live' No answer. I thought, hey what the heck, only an axe, if he gets closer he's dead. Suddenly i see white smoke building up all around me and i'm like 'WTF which friendly person pops smoke to conceal my vision?' And right as i'm thinking that, the dude storms from my right, axed me once, so i was like bleeding as i rushed out of the church, to the end of the wall, preparing to shoot his treacherous ass if he came out and he just chased me out and took 10 round to the chest.

Moral of the story: After getting slaughtered on sight by my previous 100 assailants, i tried being nice again since he only had an axe and was chased by zombies. Him using voice chat also gave an okey indication. WRONG. He clearly was after my AKM and other beanz, so the next guy i'm seeing coming up is DEAD once again.

The game should have pvp servers and pve servers with additional stuff to do (like giant bases filled with zombies which is nearly undo-able alone, so u have to team up)

Anyway, yeah, there might be a 1/1000 chance that the guy u see won't maul you to death, but i'd rather not take chances; it's SURVIVAL at the end...

In trying not to follow everyone else. If you don't know them, don't trust them. I mean if theyre just a newb (not noob) with no good wepons, or a hatchet. than I think that can allow you to ease your tension, there are bambis you can trust. And I mean if you don't trust them :P Why not just stick them up, some new gear never hurt :P