Sign in to follow this  
HellSnake

Force voice-activation over Direct Communication channel.

Ok, so I used the search function and didn't find anything like this suggestion I'm about to make. If it's suggested already then nevermind this topic. First of all, I don't even know if it can be implemented right now, but I think that disabling global chat could only be done thanks to an Arma beta patch, so it might be possible. If not, then I think it should be implemented when the game goes stand alone.

Everyone that plays DayZ as a group uses some external VoIP program, such as TeamSpeak or Skype or whatever. I use Teamspeak to play with some friends, so I'm not complaining about it. A group can perfectly communicate without making a single noise ingame. Making a team perfectly coordinated AND silent. I think that it would be good to force some voice activation system over the direct communication channel. The same kind of voice activation that works in such VoIP programs.

This will add a lot more ambience, as big groups will be heard chatting if they're not careful, and approaching some other survivor will need to be accomplished in a stealthier way. If two survivors are inside a church talking loudly about how they are going to split their loot, they should be heard from outside. It works the other way around, if a group see a single survivor entering a church, the guy should hear them planning the ambush if they are talking about it just outside the doors. This will not affect lone wolfs in any way.

I can see how this is not going to appeal to some or most of you, but hey, this is alpha, so why not give it a try? (when it can be implemented)

What do you guys think? Do you see any flaws in this idea? Is it a big flawy mess of an idea?

TL;DR Force direct communication channel always on, and force voice activation over microphone so everything that the mic gets, it is heard in the game.

• Like 3

Interesting idea for authenticity, but only until some find a loop hole to give them the same silent advantage they have now over an even more handicapped player base not using the same loophole.

I like this idea and tbh when I first saw dayz i thought this was the case.

Maybe on the more hardcore servers. As it would encourage teams to have slick teamwork and tactics.

"meet back here at 0800 server time...if im not back by then...you take the jeep, and you come find me!" Or maybe some sort of in game loot such as a comms pack or something which if you have you can choose to radio another player...or some crap like that.

But i like the idea of it being forced on constantly. +1 from me

No, please go away. I don't feel like listening to "SUCKY MY WINGY WANG GURRRLLL".

Did you really think before posting this? They can use direct communication and say "SUCKY MY WINGY WANG GURRRLLL" if they like. They just press Caps Lock and voilá. They are also giving away their position, so it will be a lot more satisfying to kill them.

I like this idea and tbh when I first saw dayz i thought this was the case.

Maybe on the more hardcore servers. As it would encourage teams to have slick teamwork and tactics.

"meet back here at 0800 server time...if im not back by then...you take the jeep, and you come find me!" Or maybe some sort of in game loot such as a comms pack or something which if you have you can choose to radio another player...or some crap like that.

But i like the idea of it being forced on constantly. +1 from me

This would work really well with the idea of having radios discussed in other topics, and hinted by Rocket.

Edited by HellSnake

Good idea but then people would just use like a lap top for teams peak and play on their pc with no mic.

Can't see a way to make it fair I'm afraid.

No. Irl a team can and may use a form of coms between them that is silent, so pretend that's happening. Plus this would ruin team play IMO.

Good idea but then people would just use like a lap top for teams peak and play on their pc with no mic.

Can't see a way to make it fair I'm afraid.

It could happen, but not everyone has a laptop and desktop at the same time, let alone all the people in the same group having a laptop and desktop combo.

No. Irl a team can and may use a form of coms between them that is silent, so pretend that's happening. Plus this would ruin team play IMO.

A team of survivors that just woke up at the shore with nothing but a flashlight have in-ear comm devices and communicate silently from the very beginning? I don't think so. This idea is compatible with radios, and those form of comms that you are talking about, which Rocket has the intention of implementing as lootable gear in the future.

You rly wanna hear when i jerk off to killed bandit? Damn bro, u so mad.

Oh yeah, baby.

Edited by HellSnake

The concept is nice, unfortunately it wouldn't really work in a game like this. :/

Its getting scary. Everytime I think about one thing, have an idea, the next day there is a post about EXACTLY that issue. Happened to me the last 5 times or so. I think i am god.

But seriously, I like that idea. I am one of those DayZers who REALLY loves realism, everything. Furthermore, I really wanna reduce the attitude of running across the map, straight through towns without watching your ass. I want the game to be hard and scary, terrifying and intense.

Yeah it is a cool idea in theory but at the end of the day we need everything we can get to make teamplay a better option than solo banditry, and this would just put another wedge in that. Don't get me wrong, i think it would put a really nice edge on things.

On another note it is impossible to work because you can just mute your mic in game (all games are required to have a volume adjustment for your in game mic) and still have a perfectly clear skype mic. maybe they could remove the ability to adjust the mic volume, but that would suck when people have to work with mics that are naturaly quiet or too loud.

The PC is an open platform, how precisely would you hope to go about this? It doesn't have control over the hardware and can't stop it.

Even if the game ran at a very high level of privilege in the OS (where it has no business being) for the sake of argument - something which would stop a lot of users from playing incidentally - then hijacking the audio or keyboard input, it would be very risky and potentially lead to a lot of bugs. And the hardcore players could still easily defeat it anyway.

i gues OP havent played Dead Space 2 or Dead Island multiplayer, if he suggests shit like this...

for those ho dont get it: this game has forced voice activation VoiP, and sometime its just awful. people dont even know harass each other.

the other reason why i`m against it, its because this shit is taken from consoles, that just cant handle PTT voice chat.

very good suggestion, I was thinking about this

it will be awesome and realistic and i don't think it will harm anyone if the sound will fade over distance

It would be awesome if it could be implemented.

Except it may be too easy to circumvent.

We all know that during zombie apocalypse some people get some telepatic abilities so they communicate by thinking each other warm way without words in silence. :D

Edited by Dalegor Dobrutro
  • Like 2