Koot (DayZ)

WTF is happening to the server community.

I remember a time when a server might have 1200 zombies or more and there was no bandit skin to argue about.

If it's a zombie apocalypse then put the zombies back in it. 2-3000 of them and a bunch of those in the woods. All these other "problems" will be solved.

Back when they were mostly ARMA players and almost no arcade/casual/mainstream gamer even knew about the mod?

Yeah well, this is pessimistic, but I don't think these times will ever come back.

But could be a start.

Back when they were mostly ARMA players and almost no arcade/casual/mainstream gamer even knew about the mod? Yeah well' date=' this is pessimistic, but I don't think these times will ever come back. But could be a start.

[/quote']

Do I play the end theme from "

" now? It's getting pretty emo in here.

Okay - why don't we adopt a rule in this thread to avoid the circular arguments.

- Post descriptions of mechanics to solve the problem' date=' and I will consider them and we can discuss.

[/quote']

Short version:

1. 1-hour respawn, unless you die within your first 30 minutes (shorter 15-minute spawn?). Makes death have meaning. You die? Time-out for you. Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done. The PKers can still PK, they just have something to lose if they die. The players that want a hard zombie mod also have to sit in the corner, so griefers can still grief all the more effectively.

2. Drastically less gear to spawn with. 1 Makarov, 1 Makarov Magazine, 1 Can of Beans, 1 Empty Water Bottle. No longer can you die and then run to your death location and pick yourself back up. I've made it from the SE coast to the NW airfield on my starter gear, at night. Through zombies. And I got lost. Twice. On my starter gear.

3. Drastically less common weaponry. More common ammo. Item spawns are not as set in stone as they are now (spread the loot). Military ammo still spawns more frequently in military areas. Result? Getting a good weapon is hard. You can't run to the nearest airfield and stock up on AKM and then go tank some people. Finding guns is no longer trivial. Reduces the number of military grade weapons in play and makes them that much more valuable. Do I take the stack of AKM and hope I find one or pick up the stack of STANAG and hope I find an M-whateverthehell? Or, do I ignore the piles of ammo and carry food?

4. Dangerous zombies, cause right now they suck so much ass. At a minimum, zombies can hit you while running. They don't have to stop and then attack. Runners could then attack you as they keep up. Pull a few runners (IE < 5, not 20 as it is now)? You're fucked. Zombies that don't run indoors, or if the slowdown is kept, run slowly. I've got more suggestions for the zombies, revolving around their ability to locate players, but the stuff above would be enough for now.

Some that aren't my ideas but fit anyways:

5. No server chat. Only local text and voip.

6. Zombies in the woods.

QFT:

What I think a lot of us are really trying to say is that a game where running into a fellow player always equates to a shootout is much less interesting than one where many things can and do happen. We don't want to remove the shootouts or the danger' date=' but we would like to play the latter game - a game about choices. And now we're brainstorming about how we can make that happen.

[/quote']

That's funny too. The guys talking about carebears and how hardcore they are funnily enough are the guys that just showed up too.

The ones they call whinners are ARMA veteran players that'd probably take them and their l33t m4d gang before they even noticed to alert on their VOID channel.

Yes, we're not sitting here asking anybody to make this game easier. Get that out of your thick skulls, people. What I think we're asking for is a richer, more faceted experience where running into another survivor means you never quite know what's going to happen.

What I think a lot of us are really trying to say is that a game where running into a fellow player always equates to a shootout is much less interesting than one where many things can and do happen. We don't want to remove the shootouts or the danger, but we would like to play the latter game - a game about choices. And now we're brainstorming about how we can make that happen.

I think that's the gist of what we're trying to discuss here. A critique and a discussion where we try to hash out what's bothering us about the current state of the game and how we'd like to fix it is not whining or bitching. Although I do admit that it pisses me of that even rocket so readily dismisses our concerns.

I think that's the gist of what we're trying to discuss here. A critique and a discussion where we try to hash out what's bothering us about the current state of the game and how we'd like to fix it is not whining or bitching. Although I do admit that it pisses me of that even rocket so readily dismisses our concerns.

Have you ever been reminded to take out the trash, constantly, even though you knew it had to be done, yet they wouldn't shut up until it's done?

That'd be Rocket's situation right now. The problem is obvious, but the fixes need more thought. The game could greatly benefit from reducing the amount of ammunition that spawns, as it only takes 1-2 bullets to kill, but then Bandit RDMers that are in a clan can just cycle loot and wrack up stuff, so the reduced loot would do nothing more than stop people from going gung-ho with a Makarov. This wouldn't actually stop the RDM issue.

We all just need to keep thinking about ideas and plans until we figure out a good one. This I know though: loot cycling needs to be stopped. Loot tables are a mechanic, but maybe there's some way to degrade the level of what drops over time?

Dark Age of Camelot has a "camp" bonus. Killing monsters that have been alive for a long time gives a lot more EXP than killing monsters everyone camps. This leads to players finding a group of mobs, clearing them out, and moving on. Perhaps we need to do the same with loot? Obviously, if a place is being raided more often, it would be harder to find good things. No, I don't know how to make it happen in game, I'm sorry. Maybe someone can take-off from here?

is it possible to add shell casings or some sort of forensics with investigating bodies? like i said sort of like TTT

Technically, you can examine a body, but in the time it takes for someone to "analyze" it properly, they could be sniper bait.

Also, let's be honest, all you would really know is "was killed by rifle, pistol, or shotgun round" and pretty much everyone uses the same kind of weapons. There's nothing unique enough to make it a plausible feature that I can think of.

I remember a time when a server might have 1200 zombies or more and there was no bandit skin to argue about.

If it's a zombie apocalypse then put the zombies back in it. 2-3000 of them and a bunch of those in the woods. All these other "problems" will be solved.

I indeed think more zeds will force people to rethink their gamestyle.

Random zeds in the woods would be great too, as would be a little lower spawnrate of rifle-ammo.

As for the coastal spawnrage where everyone kills each other for nothing...

Maybe there could be a simple solution to this. I'd think of an introduction-text or a letter in your gear explaining some stuff or the situation and that people either have to chose the hard road (loner) or should work with others. Most of the firefights I've observed (was hanging on the coast for a few days) was because someone freaked out over totally harmless situations because they were overwhelmed with the situation. Not many of the fights were happening because people actually tried to run'n'gun through dayz. And those who did mostly died soon afterwards.

Only in larger towns you're really endangered to get killed for nothing. Up north you'll get killed because people are greedy or fear losing their good stuff if you betray them. I'm fine with that. A certain degree of paranoia is important is think. It's still the apocalypse. BUT maybe there could be some mechanics that would grant groups some little advantage (Squad-system I'm looking at you).

The problem is obvious' date=' but the fixes need more thought.

[/quote']

Never get any response from Rocket on my ideas :( Hope to get some response on this thread since he said he'd respond a few dozen pages pack. My ideas aren't calling for things to be easy, they're calling for things to be hard. So hard that the players that take the easy road have to think about what they're doing.

Dark Age of Camelot has a "camp" bonus. Killing monsters that have been alive for a long time gives a lot more EXP than killing monsters everyone camps. This leads to players finding a group of mobs' date=' clearing them out, and moving on. Perhaps we need to do the same with loot? Obviously, if a place is being raided more often, it would be harder to find good things. No, I don't know how to make it happen in game, I'm sorry. Maybe someone can take-off from here?

[/quote']

Sounds about right. Variable loot tables, more random little caches of stuff. Reward those that go out and look under every rock for that extra bullet, as opposed to those that camp a building all day.

I indeed think more zeds will force people to rethink their gamestyle.

Random zeds in the woods would be great too' date=' as would be a little lower spawnrate of rifle-ammo.

[/quote']

NO! NOT MORE! HARDER! :@ Harder zombies that fuck your shit up, not more shitty ones that are blind and retarded.

is it possible to add shell casings or some sort of forensics with investigating bodies? like i said sort of like TTT

Technically' date=' you can examine a body, but in the time it takes for someone to "analyze" it properly, they could be sniper bait.

Also, let's be honest, all you would really know is "was killed by rifle, pistol, or shotgun round" and pretty much everyone uses the same kind of weapons. There's nothing unique enough to make it a plausible feature that I can think of.

[/quote']

like i said shell casings/slug types you can find, or actually having a sort of forensics kit you can find, of course there needs to be a balance like it takes a while to investigate which like you said can make you sniper bait, but you could also get a sort of indication like say how fresh the kill is, the direction the fire came from. the more experience you get doing this, the longer you live, the quicker and more accurate you can do it, just like how bandits get experience from combat.

What I see' date=' when I look at the data, is that some of the PK guys are fucking organized. They know exactly what they are doing.

[/quote']

All the tools to "PK" (as you say) are in the game and being a random PK is the easiest thing possible in Dayz. To organize, these "PK" use non game related tools, which is akin to cheating. They don't give a shit of course because your "experiment" doesn't mean dick to them. They die after 10 minutes or 10 hours, who cares? spawn, loot camp and hop servers. They're willing to risk their life to kill someone, since they don't give a fuck.

There are NO tools in game for others to group up if they play the game, without external tools, which you advise using. You cannot communicate across distance, you cannot meet up, you can't even identify people you know, nothing. You HAVE to cheat to communicate and group up or organize. More than that, these guys CARE about living and surviving.

Are you advising others to cheat? Hey, I know a way! I'm not too kin on teamspeak, but why not use hacking to spawn us some gear, it's the same right? Whatever it takes? Or I know another way!! Let's lock the fucking servers and only share the password among the ones you know! I know, why not trace down their email and addresses in real life and fuck them up, cut their hands and whatnot? That's a plan!! It'd be the EXACT same thing as using external tools to communicate or meet up, it's the SAME intent: it's cheating to "win" in something that CANNOT be "won". Going that route is a pure arm race: who's going to be the biggest assholes and do whatever (WHAT EVER) it takes.

The "good guys" are here to play the fucking mod, to immerse in it, live or die, survive.

The "bad guys" don't give a fuck.

According to you, unless the "good guys" stop giving a fuck and start abusing everything possible to "beat the bad guys", they're cry babies? Well fuck that!

I'm here to play your mod Rocket, not cheat my way into being a bigger dick. I don't come here and complain that much about that stuff, but don't you tell me to get fucking organized because the ONLY way to do it, is to cheat, and I don't fucking cheat, especially not to "beat" a bunch of assholes.

And so I survive, alone mostly, roaming the countryside nobody gives a damn about but us because there's nothing there of value to them. I play on veteran servers because these dicks are afraid of not having crosshairs and 3rd person, I play on a EU server to avoid the majority of them, and I don't shy away from the night times, because even if they can cheat through darkness via gamma, most don't bother.

...and so I survive, not being a dick, not cheating, just playing your mod and loving it.

PS:

1) Bring back zombies. Post 1.5.8 is a DisneyLand Themepark again.

2) Remove all zombie/murder/bandit numbers from debug window and the "team list" score.

3) Never, EVER implement any individual leaderboard.

Have you ever been reminded to take out the trash' date=' constantly, even though you knew it had to be done, yet they wouldn't shut up until it's done?

That'd be Rocket's situation right now. The problem is obvious, but the fixes need more thought.

[/quote']

Not even close. The initial conversation went something like:

"Rocket, the trash is starting to stink. Can you please take it out some time?"

"No. Cry some more, fuckers."

I don't recall reading that he even acknowledged the problem. In fact, he wrote something along the lines of, "This game don't need no stinking balance, and everybody will be allowed to play however the fuck they want."

I call complete and utter horseshit. To think that this game, or any game for that matter, doesn't need balance demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of game design. You guys who keep babbling on about "no balance" and "player freedom" fail to realize that this game is in fact curently balanced to hell and back. Yeah, that's right: dayZ is balanced. Balanced around PK'ing. And, it's this balance that is limiting player freedom because now we all have to run around and PK. Cos, y'know, everybody's got to evolve in order to survive, right?

People complaining about balance,

Balance is important to games, yes. But, two major things stand out to me about your arguments.

The first being, everyone starts on the level and most of the PK goes on in the coast. Want to not risk getting your head blown off looking for shit? Move inland. You can make it to a town just off the coast that almost has no one in it without even having to eat or drink. It takes maybe a 10 minute walk.

Anyone that's complaining about PK'ers camping the coast must not have made much of an honest effort to get out of there, as I've been doing it just fine for over a week. It's not hard - "beeline for the treeline" is a pretty good motto with respect to that particular issue.

I digress. My point is, if you know an area is hot, stay the fuck away if you're not prepared for it. There's no balance issue here, just an adjustment that needs to be made in the perspective that people are viewing the game. For instance, if the zombie apocalypse started right now, you'd likely have nothing to defend yourself. But, your neighbor down the block seems to be the poster-boy for Guns & Ammo Magazine. Fair? Fuck no. He might not even be friendly. So, would you charge into his house, looking for loot, then complain if he shoots you? Adjust. Go back to his house when you can kill him if you have to.

To put it short, this is a sandbox where you can play how you like, so, essentially, outside of the zombies, you're not playing against the game, you really are playing against (or WITH) other players with respect to your own needs. That's just the nature of this project. It's part strictly survival and part social experimenting.

Since everyone starts out with the same equipment and has to scrounge things up from there, there really isn't much to balance. What do you want?

Secondly, Rocket is doing this in his free time. For free. For us. Furthermore, this is HIS mod. You have no entitlement to demand...well, ANYTHING, really. Some posts I've read have just so much entitlement attached to them that it is literally blowing my mind. Don't like it? Don't play it. Make a suggestion, or something if you think something might work better one way, but for fuck's sake, don't whine or demand.

Oh, before I forget, as a closing note, as a programmer involved in a different field, any time anyone says something like, "it would be so easy to code," or, "how hard can it be to add a couple lines of code," or anything like that, I want to take a boat oar, and beat them until their heads cave in. Why? Because if it was that easy, it would have already been done by then. Most times, changing the way one piece of code works can (and sometimes DO) have drastic, unforseen consequences in other areas of the program.

So, don't say that shit, because it is insulting the skills of the programmer, who, in this case, is likely losing sleep and working his fucking ass off to provide you with a kick-ass FREE mod.

SO, TL;DR; The game is fine, look at how you're playing if you're having problems. Also, you're not entitled to shit, as it's ROCKET'S mod, so shut the fuck up and go somewhere else if you're going to demand shit or whine.

I think Rocket, that you might be missing the point. It's not that we really care that we can be killed, or that people do it. We care that it's just so easy to do. You might as well remove the zombies and spawn us in with M16s because that just slows down what will inevitably happen anyway. Zombies are a fucking joke. There are hardly any of them where they should be. There should be HORDES in cities, making it impossible to get anywhere without crawling. As well people can just log off to lose the zombies that are on their tail. I'm fine with this for now, since the only other way of losing a zombie is to kill it, but it's being abused in favor of PVP as well. Getting shot at? Just log off. Your intended mechanics are fine the way they are, they just aren't working properly right now. So fucking fix your problems, and then we'll see if there's an issue.

The only real problem is the fact that there's no reason to fear death when you spawn. When you spawn with the starting gear the easiest way to get going is to find the nearest guy with some equipment in Cherno/Elektro, shoot him in the head and head elsewhere. If you die, just repeat. In a real situation, if you wake up in a zombie infested area with shit-for-gear the last thing you'd do was to approach someone who has a shotgun. I have a solution:

1) Remove the ability to change spawn point. Currently it's easy to "choose" your spawn point by clicking "Respawn" and just spawning again till you're close to where ever you want to go.

2) Add a shitload of spawnpoints. Add spawn points to the road up north, and some to the west as well.

If spawning itself was risky due to the fact that you have no way of knowing where you'll end up in and you have no way to change it, people would propably avoid dying alot more. Spawning is too fucking easy, and because of that, so is dying.

The only real problem is the fact that there's no reason to fear death when you spawn. When you spawn with the starting gear the easiest way to get going is to find the nearest guy with some equipment in Cherno/Elektro' date=' shoot him in the head and head elsewhere. If you die, just repeat. In a real situation, if you wake up in a zombie infested area with shit-for-gear the last thing you'd do was to approach someone who has a shotgun. I have a solution:

1) Remove the ability to change spawn point. Currently it's easy to "choose" your spawn point by clicking "Respawn" and just spawning again till you're close to where ever you want to go.

2) Add a shitload of spawnpoints. Add spawn points to the road up north, and some to the west as well.

If spawning itself was risky due to the fact that you have no way of knowing where you'll end up in and you have no way to change it, people would propably avoid dying alot more. Spawning is too fucking easy, and because of that, so is dying.

[/quote']

Well I think spawns should stay by the coast to keep all the PvP players wandering around by the Cherno and Elektro towns while I go further north where I'm able to get better the loot and find peace of mind.

1)Stop asking for more zombies, its too hard on the servers, also respawn timers are bad ideas, they do nothing except force them to go play something else while they wait, give the player a handicap instead on death untill they kill X zombies or X time passes, increasing if you respawn multiple times fast.

2) Less loot, and shift it towards places with higher zombie density.

3) Less starting gear.

4) Less random knockdowns(random things that kill you are no fun, just make it things your in control of but hard) from zombies.

5) Give the monkey zombie ability to leap at you from far, maybe to all zombies to help with hitting you while your running away and help with players stationing themselves up stairs/ladders to mow them down.

6) More durable zombies, animation changes based on areas hit with bullet, eg shot one in arm, arm falls off(give it the appearance of merely hanging on in the first place) but they keep coming, make us fear them.

7) Zombie animals!!!! Zombie bears/wolves in the wild to keep those places unsafe, also add Rabies from Zombie animal attacks.

8) Dead players rise up after 10 minutes to become zombies, removing all loot on them. If you dont get to the dead player fast, its gone.

The more sparse loot and begining gear gives a greater importance on finding gear asap and higher chance of player conflict to get that loot.

More durable zombies and not letting people run indefinetly with zombies chasing them makes them much harder.

Zombie Animals would make the wilds so much more dangerous.

Fucking awesome mod, love your attitude, time and place for everything and this is the place for hardcore survival =D

1)Stop asking for more zombies' date=' its too hard on the servers, also respawn timers are bad ideas, they do nothing except force them to go play something else while they wait, give the player a handicap instead on death untill they kill X zombies or X time passes, increasing if you respawn multiple times fast.

2) Less loot, and shift it towards places with higher zombie density.

3) Less starting gear.

4) Less random knockdowns(random things that kill you are no fun, just make it things your in control of but hard) from zombies.

5) Give the monkey zombie ability to leap at you from far, maybe to all zombies to help with hitting you while your running away and help with players stationing themselves up stairs/ladders to mow them down.

6) More durable zombies, animation changes based on areas hit with bullet, eg shot one in arm, arm falls off(give it the appearance of merely hanging on in the first place) but they keep coming, make us fear them.

7) Zombie animals!!!! Zombie bears/wolves in the wild to keep those places unsafe, also add Rabies from Zombie animal attacks.

8) Dead players rise up after 10 minutes to become zombies, removing all loot on them. If you dont get to the dead player fast, its gone.

The more sparse loot and begining gear gives a greater importance on finding gear asap and higher chance of player conflict to get that loot.

More durable zombies and not letting people run indefinetly with zombies chasing them makes them much harder.

Zombie Animals would make the wilds so much more dangerous.

Fucking awesome mod, love your attitude, time and place for everything and this is the place for hardcore survival =D

[/quote']

1) That would force a certain playstyle on players. Why would killing zombies be forced? Rather avoid them and kill people, they have the good gear.

2) I think the amount of loot is good right now. I rarely see people with awesome weapons, most have the basics, so it seems pretty good right now.

3) Starting gear is already at minimum. If you remove the basics, everyone would be forced to head to the nearest city right away, increasing the amount of people shooting each other with makarovs in an elektro deathmatch. Would do nothing good.

4) Yeah. It's dangerous to prone in doorways or stairs, and sometimes rocks have dangerously sharp edges.

5) Too much desync and lag for leaping zombie. Would just increase random knockdowns. Before making the zombies faster and harder to hit the problems with warping zombies and zombies attacking and walking through walls should be fixed.

6) That would be cool :D

7) I want zombie sheep!

8) This would be great. Instead of the body disappearing it could turn in to a zombie. Might stress the server though, if there's like a hundred zombies with player loot to keep track of. The loot could be removed, but it would be nice if the zombie kept the player model :)

Alright so I tried a few servers today, all of them filled with people just playing like its deathmatch.

So I would like to propose a few potential gameplay additions that can help curb the desire, ease, and carelessness of these players.

If you're first response to the above sentence is "carebear, He wants PVP REMOVED!!1, etc" then just fuck off. You are meaningless and everything you say is meaningless. You will get no further response.

The problem I see is that there is no sense of "I'm about to shoot a person, another of the very few survivors just trying to get by."

First Suggestion:

Higher Zombie agro for murderers. The infected can sense the bloodlust and killer instinct and will hunt you down. Going near a town will immediately start attracting zombies towards your area. At first they will begin walking in your general direction, when within a certain distance they will scream and chase you, attracting the others in the area.

The first time you kill someone isn't enough to attract additional attention. After that you starting adding agro. Time and using supplies on other Survivors can lower your agro.

High enough agro and you have a chance for Zombies to find you outside of towns.(AKA might have a couple spawn near you)

This will create an actual Zombie related challenge to being a dedicated killer.

Second Suggestion:

Zombie types. Simple enough. Some of this depends on what the engine and server limits, average persons PC will allow.

Have walkers. Who can walk relatively fast, a bit slower than you can run actually. Great in numbers, lose interest when you are a bit away from the town they spawned in.

Runners. These run fast enough to catch up to you and can actually attack you while you are running. Forcing you to stop and fire or try to lose them very very quickly. Lose interest if you get too far away from them.

Reinforced. A little harder to take down. You had better aim for the head or risk wasting a lot of munitions. Run the same speed as you with a higher chance to break your legs when/if it catches you. Will chase you for as long as it can see you.

Third Suggestion:

Infection Level. No, you can't actually play as a zombie. You must respawn if it kills you.

Your Infection Level rises as you play, with increases when hit by Zed. I'd expect it to rise 2-3 times slower than hunger. To lower you infection you must locate, kill, and create an anti-viral from a special Reinforced zombie. You'll need an empty syringe, possibly another item. Can receive 3 doses from a single kill, meaning groups can work together to help find one and create a stockpile.

Fourth Suggestion:

Break the good weapons into pieces. Maks and other handguns remain basically as they are now, Winchester's and maybe a couple others remain the same as well. You find a M14 barrel here, the stock here, etc. Somewhat rare chance to find a whole gun still. Will make it a bit harder to get powerful guns. As well as increase your risk for having one. "Hey look, that guy has a badass rifle... Should we kill him?"

"Oh shit, now I have the rifle... *paranoia*"

Alternatively, you find them broken and must repair them.

Fifth Suggestion:

Stamina. Simple enough, can't run forever. Enough to hightail it from a gun fight or town and catch your breath in the nearby forest.(You better make sure there's a forest nearby...)

Sprinting drains you pretty quickly, a regular run can get you a fair distance.

Sixth Suggestion: (and the one I feel less sure about)

Death Timer for being a carelessness dumbass. You start killing people in a real Zombie Apocalypse, you get killed forever. In DayZ, you get a 30minutes penalty for killing 3 people within a 2 hour time frame. Increase up to 1-2 hours with more kills. Decreases as you go more time without killing. I kinda dislike this and think it would be detrimental to the longterm, but might be better than the current system.

Of course these would be awesome paired with everyones ideas for group projects.

As well as a penalty for people who attempt to break realism by Server Hopping and DC'ing.

I would prefer the spawn points to remain the same still. Cherno and Elektro being PvP hotspots adds a certain flair to those areas that I think is needed. I think having the spawns near is enough to keep that.

I'm not sure what all is possible for rocket to implement, I tried to keep them fairly simple and straight forward.

Capt Murphy:

Why the hell should there be a penalty for killing other players? I mean any kind of penalty.

The stamina is a good idea and I'm all for it, but it has to be so that it doesn't make traveling too frustrating. It would be nice if you couldn't just run forever with a horde behind your back.

I really used to like X before it was popular. Everyone did thing Y and never did thing Z. Now that X is popular all these casuals are coming in and doing Z instead of Y. WTF? The only real way to play X is by doing Y....

Devs, please fix this.

--- Clipped ---

The zombie types are good and will probably come about eventually anyways. The others enforce a certain style of play' date=' which is never cool. A spawn penalty for killing players is absurd. If there is going to be a spawn penalty (something I very much want), it needs to be [i']across the board. You die, you wait, regardless of what kind of player you are. It doesn't force a play-style, but it does force you to deal with the consequences. Griefers can still grief, carebears can still care.

I do like the idea of finding weapon parts, but how would that be implemented? While something might be a cool idea, if it can't be done within the engine then there's no sense in suggesting it.

Capt Murphy:

Why the hell should there be a penalty for killing other players? I mean any kind of penalty.

The stamina is a good idea and I'm all for it' date=' but it has to be so that it doesn't make traveling too frustrating. It would be nice if you couldn't just run forever with a horde behind your back.

[/quote']

If it were a real situation, very few people would indiscriminately kill others for no reason. Some sort of risk system needs to be available so that the "It's just a game, I don't fucking care" mindset can be offset.

The travel thing is why I suggest a "Sprint speed" and a normal paced run.

Sprint to avoid all but the fastest, or to get the hell out of dodge. Run for travel.

...that will limit lone wolfs that do nothing but shoot first.

Assumptions again, I play lone wolf and I've yet to fire a shot on another player, survivor or bandit.