Flambo (DayZ)

Standalone: Why be excited about Arma 3 engine?

Please read before you post. Ill even quote myself so as to explain again to you people who seem so adamant to not understand the question. Or read the comments in the thread besides the first one.

Stop posting the same "WHY SHOULDN'T THEY".

I'm sorry, did he not ask "Why be excited about Arma 3 engine?"

*facepalm*

Edited by (RaO)n4zRuDiN

ya know for all you guys giving the op shit for his questions let me ask this

do sequels (movie game or other) generally live up to the marketing hype?

yes, people can read the marketing hype, and view the pretty screen shots, but in the end the average player traditionally drops their coin then drops their expectations.

I'm glad BIS's marketing department is earning their pay, but the question still remains, will the actual product live up to the hype?

historical evidence says hell no, but perhaps BIS will be the one game company that puts out a better 3rd gen product that lives up to the expectations of the community.

This isn't a sequel, it's the same game ported over with some engine improvements in terms of lighting, physics, animation etc, nobody with realistic expectations is going to be dissapointed by it.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

Inventory Management - the #1 newbie killer in the current DayZ.

well based on what i've seen in videos, we can look forward to:

larger towns (approximately 100 buildings per village, 50 cities on the default map).

larger maps.

weapons with removable upgrades like silencers, flash light attachments, etc.

there's a fatigue system built in for shit you're carrying.

there's the ability to swim underwater.

then there's the graphical shinies. go look at some of the e3 2012 arma 3 demos to get an idea of what the engine is capable of without any modifications. as far as bugs and technical stuff, who knows, could be better, could be worse. i'd expect it to be unpolished at first cause that's the story of pretty much every pc game at release ever. with all the different hardware combinations and makes out there, it's pretty hard to have everything running perfectly right out the gate.

Oh god, I tried reading through most of these comments but found it so hard... And made me disappointed in my fellow man. How can 70% of you post retarded comments flaming the OP saying of course they will move to VR 4 or saying "Why shouldn't they?" as if it answers his question.

Let me explain. He's not asking whether they will, won't, should, could, have or can't use VR4 for DayZ. Hes asking WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS. Whats NEW with the VR4 engine, what's changed, what runs smoother, what new features are enabled.

I personally don't know the full answer but I know the maps are bigger at least. And optimized for longer view distances I think. Oh and fully enterable buildings is very exciting for me.

The stupidity in this forum amazes me as well. Thank you for positive insight; you have my beans.

This isn't a sequel, it's the same game ported over with some engine improvements in terms of lighting, physics, animation etc, nobody with realistic expectations is going to be dissapointed by it.

I'm expecting bugs to be fixed and hacking brought under control. If the ARMA III Engine cant deliver on that, I certainly will be disappointed.

where does it say this?

"Rebuilding from the ground up with the latest version of Bohemia's Real Virtuality engine (which was shown to great effect powering ArmA III at this year's E3) will also allow the standalone DayZ to have more diffuse nighttime lighting, rather than the practically unplayable near-pitch-blackness of the current mod."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/from-mod-to-game-how-dayz-will-evolve-as-a-standalone-release/

If the DayZ standalone switches to Arma3... then we better see DayZ ported to consoles because if not we will lose most of our players. FACT, most people dont own computers capable of handling games like Arma3, BF3, Skyrim, Crysis... etc.

Queue the "console fag" and "get a better pc" Comment Trolls!

If the DayZ standalone switches to Arma3... then we better see DayZ ported to consoles because if not we will lose most of our players. FACT, most people dont own computers capable of handling games like Arma3, BF3, Skyrim, Crysis... etc.

Not many are running arma 2 on a potato. I think its fair to say most people playing Day Z are PC gamers. Most PC gamers upgrade if they can't run a game they really want to play.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, did he not ask "Why be excited about Arma 3 engine?"

*facepalm*

He did, the answer to which is not "Why shouldn't we be excited?" nor is it "Rv4 will have everything RV3 has but better". And its definitely not

"

Not to be a dick or anything but I hope you know that BI owns RV4 engine so why the hell should they not use it.

Obviously a little bit of a communication error, people not understanding the question. I'm only posting here trying to explain to people because I want to know the answer too. I'd love to know what features and improvements to the engine we can look forward to in the RV4 engine.

It's interesting no graphics programmers or architects have contributed at all yet....

Their are many compelling reasons to stick with Arma2 over Arma3 if your goal is to deliver a product in a timely manner, and start earning money from the DayZ brand from a development standpoint.

If you can get at the Arma2 codebase, with the mod as it is today, its possible you can refactor the necessary security systems, and work at the code to fix many features to get DayZ the mod to a shippable level in a matter of 3-6 months IMO.

The engine and everything is already optimized to run on most PC's out there already, and while we critisize it for being a bit problematic, it would be extremely unlikely that the Arma3 engine is anywhere near ship ready right now by comparison (and it is liable to have its own uggly problems too, no engine is perfect, and its developed by the same people who made the previous incarnation!).

Sure, going with Arma3 its hard not to imagine why all those bells and whistles and new features are not reason alone to update, but at best, you're talking about merging in a new version on top of the existing one, which is extremely problematic/risky and is going to take a long time to pull off, and you're still going to have to refactor/rewrite many of the systems that simply break down due to the integration of all those rich new expensive features...

and at worst, if the plan is to re-write all the systems in the new Arma3 engine from scratch ecause the two codebases are not integratable we might not being seeing standalone for a year or longer.

And i'm only talking about the technical implications, theirs tons of development implications beyond tech that cause questions of going to a new engine as well. Rocket is undoubtedly an amazing modder, but he might be a horrible director! If we are talking about a year of development theirs going to be a lot of work to do that isn't entirely hands on that can go wrong.

Of course, I'm only speculating on a lot of things as well (based on experience nevertheless), but the fact that this thread seems so extremely one sided is indicative of people not understanding the development process and its risks very much if at all.

Shooting for Arma3, isn't an obvious slam dunk by any means. It is going to be tough.

He did, the answer to which is not "Why shouldn't we be excited?" nor is it "Rv4 will have everything RV3 has but better". And its definitely not

He asked a question and I replied, my answer is totally valid.

Here, let me give you a few highlights:

1. Why be excited about Arma 3 engine (When you ask like this its more aimed to the public)
  2. Why should I be excited about the DayZ standalone using the same engine?
  3. DayZ is suffering from is technical issues, not dated graphics.
  4. What does the Arma 3 engine (Real Virtuality 4) offer over Arma 2 (Real Virtuality 3), and how can we expect DayZ to benefit (Well hell man, why ask that when you are linking the Arma 3 wiki page, you have the answers there)

Edited by (RaO)n4zRuDiN

And you think that a potato console is gonna be able to run the game? Really? Get real and get a new computer I mean seriously that shit must be very old if you can't run arma 2/3... my computer is almost 3 yeas old (really the maximum age if you want at least a decent experience) and wasn't even a high end build at the time and I can run that shit. Also I don't care if we loose a lot of scrubs will make a better gaming experience for all of us :).

Arma 3/DayZ would NEVER work on consoles, FACT.

Maybe trees wont kill you on the new engine? That seems worth it right there. :D

What ever happened to the old days where people actually tried to troll? This is a mediocre attempt at best.

It seems your question has gone flying over many heads...

Look around youtube and go to the arma3 channel. They have plenty of videos there explaining some of the new features. :)

OP comes to a mod forum for one game and demands the internet sell him on another game using a new engine

lol

Edited by Jachim

It will use modified engine of Arma 2 OA. Its wont be build on Arma 3 engine.

Necromancer.

Why summon up a dead thread?

Edited by Never