Sign in to follow this  
stefan_s

DayZ standalone... Wait for it, or buy now?

Those already playing, don't worry: because development is taking place alongside support, "anyone who is playing the mod now will be able to continue to do so".

-kotaku

Now, I realize that we might have to buy DayZ AGAIN

you didnt buy DayZ atall. you bought ARMA2. I wish people would realise this.. really. I dont get why people who bought ARMA feel DayZ now owes them something because its coming out standalone.l

• Like 1

Rocket announced that he targets a standalone release by the end of the year. Today he also announced he has teamed up with BI and will develop DayZ the game and sell it according to the Minecraft model.

For those of you who do not know what the Minecraft sales model is, it works like this. A playable Alpha is ready and released, and DayZ is available for purchase at roughly 50% - 75% of the full price. Later, a Beta is released and will be available for purchase at ~75% of the full price. Then a RC is released to resolve the last issues before a final stable release. Later, the final stable release is out, at 100% of full price. Purchasing DayZ in any state of development, Alpha, Beta, RC, Stable will entitle you to a copy of the game and you do not have to buy it again.

For those of you who are not acquainted with the Alpha, Beta, RC, Stable development model, here it is explained as well...

• Alpha: Essential features in effect. Less than or roughly 50% finished. Highly unbalanced. Highly unstable. Loads of bugs.
  • Beta: Extra features in effect. Less than 90 % finished. Unbalanced. Sometimes unstable. Has bugs.
  • RC: All features in. 99% finished. Balanced. Stable. Few bugs.
  • Stable: All features in. 100% finished. Very balanced. Very Stable. Very little or no bugs.

Edited by Vitdom

The announcement about standalone really shouldn't influence your decision to buy arma2:co to play DayZ. Here is how the decision works:

1. Do I intend to hack the mod? If yes, the go ahead and buy arma2:co to play DayZ. If no then don't buy anything until the hacking comes back down to reasonable levels.

So, I recently ordered a new Gaming PC, and it should be arriving in two weeks time.

However, recently it was announced that DayZ would be a standalone game.

Now, I realize that we might have to buy DayZ AGAIN to continue playing, as it is separating itself from Arma II.

So, what do you guys think? Also with the hacker issue I hear is making some servers unplayable.

Should I buy Arma 2 (I am also interested in Arma II, but id rather wait for Arma III for the sake of saving money) and play DayZ?

Or wait for it to release by itself, whenever that may be?

If you can afford a new gaming pc you can afford both.

Source: http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/28904791570/the-end-of-the-beginning

They are using what they call the 'minecraft' model.

Now I've been playing that game since the early alpha and if what they say is true one can safely assume that the standalone alpha will be released in the next month.

It will be buggy and lacking in content but it will be getting updates every one or two weeks.

If they also use the financial model, the alpha standalone will be cheaper than the full version, but you get all future updates for free.

If you think of it as we get closer to Arma 3's target release, the staff who finished their section of Arma 3 could be shifted to help in DayZ's production.

I think the next 3 months will be getting the Arma 3's Engine setup and prepped for DayZ's needed mechanics. I can see the Alpha Stand alone by the holidays or January 2013. I have no idea how long it will take for the final Stand alone to be done since we don't know what are the features they want to add into the game.

It's going to be exciting

Wrongo. http://www.reddit.co...yz_will/c5pghcz it will be launching this year, straight from Rocket's own mouth.

Well it depends on how you read the statement from Rocket. The "this year, early alpha" part tells me that there will be an early alpha this year and not a complete game.

Also later on he states that they need to "have something" this year which also indicates to me that they plan to have something out and moderately playable, but not a finished product.

Of course it can also be read as a complete game, done and released in under 5 months. That just seems odd to me given BI's reputation for not releasing chopped up half complete games.

Edited by Eegore

I would say, seeing your rig doesn't come untill 2 weeks from now... wait those 2 weeks to see what announcements are being made ... 1 thing is clear, you like DayZ, but surely you didn't just buy the rig just for DayZ, so depending on 2 weeks time you can decide in two weeks what would be best. If by then the standalone alpha comes out in a month (that's 6 weeks from now), then go play some other games for a few weeks, buy the alpha standalone and join in on the fun.

At all the 'the game will be finished in...' seeing this game closest to a (MMO-) FPS-RPG or atleast has the aspirations to grow into one, i doubt this game will ever be truely finished :) ... If i be BI & Rocket and would try to aim for christmas next year to get a good decent chunk of development done, to where the game has it's prime functionality without any major bugs. You could call that 'going gold' status, but if I hear Rocket talk about base building and Eve, then it's fairly clear to me that the game may not ever be entirely finished. We might well have to wait untill DayZ-II to have a truely MMOFPSRPG where you can basically travel the whole zombie invested earth, with all sorts of vehicles. Where clans form their own 'provinces' by controlling territories, where there be alliences between clans forming entire contries. And wars are being fought between them for controll over resources ... Well maybe not DayZ-II but it will surely not be by christmass next year :)

Well it depends on how you read the statement from Rocket. The "this year, early alpha" part tells me that there will be an early alpha this year and not a complete game.

Also later on he states that they need to "have something" this year which also indicates to me that they plan to have something out and moderately playable, but not a finished product.

Of course it can also be read as a complete game, done and released in under 5 months. That just seems odd to me given BI's reputation for not releasing chopped up half complete games.

It won't be a complete game for at least 6-12 months after it is released, however it will be out and playable this year, and it will more then likely be of the same quality as we have currently since the Arma 3 engine really isn't so different from Arma 2 in the grand scheme of things.