Outline

Friendly mode

The issue is not PvE versus PvP.

It's survival game-style versus deathmatch game-style.

Survival still requires some PvP, but at a low rate, since survivalists are much more into co-op.

The problem is that if both styles are on the same server, the deathmatchers spoil it for the survivalists.

But the opposite isn't true; nothing the survivalists do spoil the game for the deathmatchers.

In fact the survivalists just give the deathmatchers easy cannon fodder.

If the survivalists all left to play on a separate server, the deathmatchers wouldn't have any easy targets any more.

That's why they bitch and moan about having separate game-play on separate servers.

That is a very good straight forward way to put I think. Well said, ty. I also like the part I read earlier something about where the "survivalist" are the "pussies" or what have you. This pussy earlier def. just survived by not shooting back, and hearing the guy shooting get overrun by zombies, screams, so on, giving me that chance to slip away.

*Edit*

That itself is a example of why the PvP can be exciting just be fair on both sides, why PvE gets a middle finger shot at it instead is silly, it still does not mean at all there is not something to do and be entertained by. Personally, I would easily get bored of just shooting other players, unless I know they are my enemy(as in shooting at me to kill). So it sometimes is easy to see where an how others stand along side, or against one another i guess as far as a simple idea about how to play a videogame. PvP and PvE can co-exist just fine too, but not with a negative thought, having to be right all the time or close minded by any means.

Edited by Ash_Lee

All i want personally is that the game remain a single experience for everyone.

Think I like getting killed or having a shootout at the top of rog castle, limping out of sight before getting finished at point blank?

No it sucks, but it's also stressful, exhilarating and a truely liberating experience, i'm not playing on my own terms and i have to think on my feet and deal with a situation that another player is imposing on me. That's what makes DayZ awesome, survival, zombies and stress.

I actually have to take lengthly breaks everytime i get killed because of the intensity.

You give players the option of not having to deal with the stress and pressure of all this? and i can bet you 99% of the community will move to it, because it's simply more laid back and they can drink their coffee while hacking at zombies, instead of having cold sweats.

If DayZ is to be an "experience" as the devs say, it has to be something you either 'inflict' to yourself to it's fullest, or don't.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

DayZ is not about experience, its about google spawn loot map. Get your gun in 5 minutes and shooting everything first you see before someone see you. What fun in that?

All i want personally is that the game remain a single experience for everyone.

Think I like getting killed or having a shootout at the top of rog castle, limping out of sight before getting finished at point blank?

No it sucks, but it's also stressful, exhilarating and a truely liberating experience, i'm not playing on my own terms and i have to think on my feet and deal with a situation that another player is imposing on me. That's what makes DayZ awesome, survival, zombies and stress.

I actually have to take lengthly breaks everytime i get killed because of the intensity.

You give players the option of not having to deal with the stress and pressure of all this? and i can bet you 99% of the community will move to it, because it's simply more laid back and they can drink their coffee while hacking at zombies, instead of having cold sweats.

If DayZ is to be an "experience" as the devs say, it has to be something you either 'inflict' to yourself to it's fullest, or don't.

You sound like some sort of DayZ hipster/elitist. You admit that "99%" of players would play PvE if given the option, but then complain that it shouldn't be added, because you want everyone to have a "singular experience"? What?

Why should everyone want to play the game like you want to play it? And again, for the 100th time, it wouldn't have to be forced on everybody. PvP players can play PvP and PvE players can play PvE. Completely separate servers/characters.

"yea cuz im sure Rocket hates money..

i'd bet the farm that when push comes to shove this standalone caters to the largest possible player pool possible,.."

You are a bit stupid arent you.

Ill give you some stuff to read , dont judge other people by your own standards.

http://dayzmod.com/f..._200#entry67815

http://dayzmod.com/f...ion/#entry74852

http://dayzmod.com/f...__20#entry67114

http://dayzmod.com/f..._160#entry32219

http://dayzmod.com/f...__20#entry67105

http://dayzmod.com/f...__80#entry67314

http://dayzmod.com/f...__40#entry67217

http://dayzmod.com/f...__20#entry58573

umm all those posts are ages old compared to the short life span of dayZ and certainly before the standalone got officaly announced..

like i said before, when he was in charge of a fre mod, that hardline stance made total sence..

but when you switch to a retail release being suporrted by a outside company (BI) then theres no way he's gunna be allowed to keep final say on everything thats in game or not..

at the end of theday hes become a employee of BI, not the other way round.

Just for all you PvP people.

We don't want to destory the game, build two different games, make one mode harder than the other, make a friendly fire toggle button and switch mode with all your gear button.

All we are saying is that it would be great to have seperate server's. One for PvE players where the server has friendly fire set to off and cannot be toggled and then one for PvP players where you can kill everything. However for both server types the zombies would be the same (Not made harder for the PvE server) and players would not be able to jump from a PvE server to a PvP server, they would have to have seperate characters for the both server types.

So I really cannot see the big problem against a PvE server as you would still be able to play PvP, it's about creating more options for the game instead being completely focused down one path.

For the people who keep comparing a PvE server of DayZ to other games like in previous posts (Left 4 Dead, Dead Island, Unreal Tournament, etc.) and try to use them as an insult towards this subject, you should find different games which actually can be compared to a PvE server of DayZ before trying to use them as an insult.

And again, for the 100th time, it wouldn't have to be forced on everybody. PvP players can play PvP and PvE players can play PvE. Completely separate servers/characters.

Who cares? You can play on easy regular server and use character on veteran this change something in balance? On PvE servers players will die same many times like PvP servers. Only by trolling, where suicide runners will lure horde of zombies on other players just to loot player corpses or just for fun.

Edited by Dalegor Dobrutro

I can understand where you are coming from but tbh if this game were just about teaming up and the only threat coming from the Zombies it would get boring pretty quickly.

Think about it, when you head into Cherno or the NW Airfield are you concerned about the zombies? Or are you constantly paranoid about contact with a player?

Without player threats it would be a player vs very basic computer AI. Dull.

Thats fine i see no harm in giving people a pve option, but if you are going to pve. Stay there,i do not want to have people who go to pve servers get geared out then move to pvp servers having never risked thier necks a an air field or major city for the gear they have.

Yeah, I think a PVE server would be stupid but if they must, then this is a must.

You think running around with your buddies getting all the good loot without much risk is fun?

I got an idea, why not get rid of the Zombies as well.

Yeah i call it..............BORING!

In the stand alone game. There should be a friendly mode where players can't kill players. So it will be players Vs zombies. This is a mode fit for people who want to explore the map without the threat of other players killing them.

NOOOOOOOOOPE

What about instead of a full-blown friendly mode an option to put specific people into a 'friends' list on specific types of servers (think regular/veteran)

It just makes me laugh.

The game has become popular because it does something different.

People then complain and try to get it changed into something else. You are trying to remove what makes the game great. The danger of getting killed by other players, the interactions and the tensions this creates is FUNDAMENTAL to the DayZ experience.

There are plenty of other games that provide great PVE experiences with zombies or otherwise but there are NO other games that do what DayZ is doing.

Read those links I posted and read the other stuff Rocket has posted, recently or some time ago.

"This is a project for people who want to try something different, have some different experiences, feel some real emotions in a game. For anyone who doesn't, have some of this and this. " Rocket

Edited by Strategos

It's funny how you PvP people can only say stupid comments like no, it's boring, stupid idea. If it sounds boring or stupid it doesn't effect you as we are not saying get rid of PvP so guess what, you don't have to play PvE if you don't want.

If it sounds boring to you it does not mean that everyone else thinks the same.

Well im not a PvP person I'm a Dayz person. And I'm not saying that at all, I'm making a reasoned argument based on the vision that the mod creator has vocalised to us and on my understanding of what makes DayZ so compelling to play and correspondingly so popular.

I actually agree with it. I would never play on it and the loot you get shouldn't carry to PVP servers but this would be a great place for noobs to learn.

• Like 1

That might be so, however we are not talking about the mod this is a suggestion for the standalone version. We are not saying we hate the game or we hate the dev's I think they have made a great game but we are saying that it would be nice to see some form of PvE so that it gives the game some more options.

If there is a PvE game like dayz can you please tell me because I don't think there is one.

The mod is a precursor to the main game.

Something innovative is being done here, don't try and stifle it , embrace it.

It's an experiment in new territory and the player interactions are the single most important ingredient. You can't have that without the risk of betrayal and death.

"If there is a PvE game like dayz can you please tell me because I don't think there is one. " play S.T.A.L.K.E.R if you like. The point is there are a tonne of great PVE games out there, that pardigm has been done to death. You are missing the whole point of DayZ.

I can see where people are coming from with their requests to err more towards co-operative gameplay. But the fact is, L4D2 would provide a much better co-operative gameplay environment currently. The main focus of this is survival, and interactions with players are the most serious aspect.

This means we need the bandits, they are needed to supply the tension. The fact a player can do anything and "get away with it" and a reason the experience is so compelling. However, modelling consequence is within the scope of the project, and that's something that will be tried out in future updates until we get it right.

Rocket.
Have you guys actually studied the classic and recent zombie movies a bit? The romero movies y'all rave about? Dawn of the Dead, the modern variant with 28 days later, the Walking Dead. In every single one, the greatest threat comes not from the Zombies but from the breakdown of society and from the other people. Because they can think, they can plan, they can strategize. The zombies can't. And the people are desperate.
Rocket
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results".

1. Get a fucking plan.

2. Stop assuming everyone wants to survive.

3. Stop assuming everyone wants to cooperate.

4. Find the people (offline if needed) that want to do these things.

5. Trust those people and nobody else.

6. Don't be part of the fucking problem (avoid, rather than kill).

This IS stupid. So do something about it. Posting "aw everyone kills everyone" on the forums is what people have been doing for ages. Has it worked? NO. So try something else. I see a few groups are doing different stuff, and they're keeping quiet about it. It's obvious from the database those people who are adjusting to the "anti-game" environment and those who aren't.

I don't have the resources or the inclination to balance the game, or develop some kind of punishment system. So that just ain't going to happen, even if it was within the scope of the project (and its not).

So the DayZ world has gone to shit? Good. We're on track then. Because its a fucking Zombie Apocalypse.

Rocket.
Let me reiterate a very key point I keep trying to make:

You are the inhabitants of the world. I am the architect. You guys are going to decide how this world plays out. Don't compare this to other games and look for different balancing mechanics. This is an attempt at something different, it is an experiment. There is no balance, other than the balance you will put in. I will put in the features required for you to either destroy this world into mindless PVP, or create something else. Don't look to me for that balance, because I will not give you it. We started this in a particular way, we're going to finish in that way.

Rocket
It is madenning for me that you guys see something unbalanced and you instantly think something needs to be changed in the game.

No.

You need to change to the new environment. EA and blizzard aren't here to balance the fuck out of the game. You're going to have to do that yourselves.

Jesus it's like weening someone off herion.

Rocket. Edited by Strategos

For the guys saying that it'd be boring because the zombies are useless... you're basing that on the mod. I'm going to guess they'll be vastly improved in the standalone.