AK-74 vs M16A2  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What would you take into the apocalypse?

• AK-74, Full auto is too important.
    • M-16, I need that extra 100m.

Just wondering everyone's opinion on these 2, ironsight versions.

AK-74 max range is 300m with full auto capability

M-16 max range is 400m, with burst fire capability, slightly lower recoil.

Both hit equally hard and are equally not very loud.

Previously I would have gone with AK74 since I like open sights and fullauto is good in close range.

But since they have nerfed the AK74 considerably,I'd probably go with M16 or AKM.

• Like 1

I would take the M16 over the AK-74 but yeah I'd take the AKM over both of those. :)

Edited by FieldMedic

Poll excludes this (like the kobra) but the acog is just amazing. Love finding them

Why, just yesterday in a dandy stroll through the airfield I stumbled across another player 20m away from me with one.

I did the neighborly thing and quick-scoped him with my AS50.

Sadly, I had to drop a lot of medical supplies... but it is well worth it.

AR-15 platform firearms were not affected by the damage reduction in the last beta patch so M16 any day of the week. Before that I probably would have favored the AK74.

I put my vote on the AK-74. Seeing as how it appears you've not got a close group of survivors to help you make the decision.

Now I'll make this clear. I'm aware that the M16A2 is statistically better or equal in its functional aspects (30% extra damage, 33% additional range, equal zombie-audible-range and magazine size).

If you've not got a great stash of ammo on hand already, and especially if you're playing solo or with a small squad, you'll be working overtime to conserve and procure as much additional ammo as you can. Possibly more trouble than it's worth.

While both STANAG and 30Rnd. AK mags have an extremely low spawn rate in residential areas, the AK mags take a huge lead by being far more openly available at deerstands, which can offer a trickle of military-grade loot which is balanced out by their far lesser risk, due to being scattered across the most of the playable area. Enough searches of those should quickly bag you an AKM to replace either with too.

That and I prefer to toggle between semi and full-auto instead of semi and burst. I feel more in control about overspending rounds.

Edited by Cooperal

If you've not got a great stash of ammo on hand already, and especially if you're playing solo or with a small squad, you'll be working overtime to conserve and procure as much additional ammo as you can. Possibly more trouble than it's worth.

While both STANAG and 30Rnd. AK mags have an extremely low spawn rate in residential areas, the AK mags take a huge lead by being far more openly available at deerstands, which can offer a trickle of military-grade loot which is balanced out by their far lesser risk, due to being scattered across the most of the playable area. Enough searches of those should quickly bag you an AKM to replace either with too.

That and I prefer to toggle between semi and full-auto instead of semi and burst. I feel more in control about overspending rounds.

I've found that STANAG magazines are much more prevelent than AK74 magazines, but the 74 magazines are still fairly common enough to not warrant any issue with having enough ammunition.

The sights are better on the M16 than they are on the AK. Damage is greater, as a 3 round burst is usually sufficient to down someone versus 5 shots for the 74.

I voted AK but I'm sad to say that the M16s are slightly better;

I have a very good kobra. It's reliable, the sights are perfect for me (With the dot I tend to have trouble) and ammo plentiful enough. I still down Zeds in two shots, so it's alright if I miss the headshot.

I still have an ACOG to compensate a bit with the damge against players but, after all, If I meet a player, I shoot his leg and get away if he doesn't go in a coma. If he does go in a coma and doesn't ALT+F4, I just loot the bag and give some morphine/bandage as a compensation. The PvP damage VS players is slightly irrelevant to me at least because of that.

Edited by Deuzerre

AKs are no match for american weapons, they got nerfed. M16 all the way.

m16 considering on this game guns don't jam.

And if it was real life, it wouldn't jam if you maintained it properly.

• Like 1

Both hit equally hard

Nah, not anymore. Since that Arma patch that nerfed some weapons, the Ak-74 is now less powerful than the M16s. So it's now an easy choice: the M16.

M16a2 sights are awful, take half the screen which makes the weapon unusable for pro CQB.