boxman80

Full release - Map discussion

So as you all probably know with the official press release of a full version of Day Z on the horizon (and it won't be free-to-play by the looks of it thank God!) I thought it might be interesting to speculate about the map(s) and content of said map(s) that could or should be used for the game.

I personally love the Chernarus map because o fit's varied environment, but I admit I am hoping and presume that a new map or even maps will be developed purely for the stand alone map and I am very excited at teh prospect of a purpose built map too!

I hope that the map will be a "western" (US/UK/Euro) based map with an excellent mixture of urban/cities and woodland/countryside. It would be great to see lots of waterways, coastline and islands too.

I'm also excited at the prospect of much bigger landscapes, many more enter-able buildings. Indeed even the vast range of different types of buildings such as multi-storey skyscrapers, prisons, apartments, suburban homes, country cottages, car parks, subways, airports, military camps, shopping malls (come on there HAS to be a shopping mall! ;) ) etc.

I'm genuinely very excited about what a new map will hold, so let's here what you good people are hoping will feature on a new map, or indeed series of maps/zones, however they decide to zone it.

So discuss and suggest away!

Edited by Box
  • Like 4

He has already taken a few cues from the Fallout franchise. I'd marry His team with theirs and that would give birth to the most awesome game known to man.

*Him (always with an H) being you-know-who

Edited by Drblodski
  • Like 1

Probably going to be the map that Arma 3 is using. If not, and from the look of the picture on the new website, then it'll probably be an improved version of Chernarus.

Either options are lovely, and if they did multiple maps that'd be great.

Chernarus is big, but not big enough if you play the game for some time... Keep chernarus, open buildings, and add a new country or something

I really hope the map is more balanced for zombie survival, Chernarus is a good map just would need some alterations in some locations to be perfect

I still think a US based map would be better personally. I do love Chenerus and wouldn't even object to it being used to produce a new map but would much prefer to play against a backdrop of a more modern and identifiable environment. And for all Chenarus is huge, it still doesnt seem big enough, especially since there arent really big enough or enough "hot spots". I was on a server 2ith 5 other people the other day and I still managed to see 3 of them milling around Cherno!

Plus it would make things a bit simpler having towns vilalges and even streets in English.

As i see it DayZ = 1 huge map. I dont like the idea of multiple maps.. takes it 1 step(not a very big one) closer to any other average shooter. Make the existing map bigger(possibly) and add more buildings you can enter.

If they actually wanna drop chernarus then i dont know what to think.

Going standalone almost always means some sort of change in direction, you can't push all your ideas through since you are not the one with the finances.. i just really hope it doesn't get fucked up.

I have seen too many games and entire franchises going down the drain because of the people who bring in the money and want more money. Recent example seems to be Hitman(though its not out yet, i can only wait and hope it doesn't get fucked up too).

Edited by Vipala

I think an updated version of Chenarus would be cool. But even more than that I'd like to see completely NEW maps, designed specifically for DayZ

I'd like to see a 'Chenerus plus' style map, keeping the varied terrain types but improving the size and feel. It's surely got to keep that open world feel though.

Edited by Ben_C

My input:

- Add more big cities (On a different area perhaps)

- Add larger cities

- Add an endgame place with tons of zombies and supplies (A refuge camp gone wrong makes sense to me)

- Lots of blood and dead bodies on the streets

• Like 2

I want him to take a new map which is a Island wherre you can spawn all around the island, and the center is the new north.

Would love to see a map with huge cities with skyscrappers. Maybe a huge city in the middle of the map and residential suburbs around it. Oblivion and Skyrim sort of comes to mind for the map lay out

Make the map current to today too.

Good topic!

• Like 1

South Wales would make a great map IMO, lots of terrain variation in a small area.

I would like to see three or four maps, but each would require a different character. So a server running Map A can accept my current Map A character, but Map B I have to creae a new character, which can then play on any Map B server. Make sense? That way we can have Chernarus, something a bit more urban for the CoD kids, maybe something desert-y, and South Wales. I like South Wales as the road signs will be hilarious, guaranteed sheep population, and caves. I can haz caves?

• Like 4

Chernarus is nice but I'd like to see a new map, specifically designed for DayZ standalone:

A map with a large capital city, complete with a subway system, enterable skyscrapers, malls, stores and all that stuff. Airports, military bases, countryside, mountains, lakes and islands. A map that makes me feel as if the apocalypse is happening to my city and I've got to get out there and survive.

• Like 9

I'd like to see a real-world location, be it in the US or UK or anywhere, hell China, mapped out in detail with the aid of a current map for topography, and something such as Google Maps for the building layout. Imagine an entire State in the US being recreated in the game. Now make it a single shard, instead of multiple ~50 person servers, as in an MMO. I want to see thousands of people on the same server on one giant megamap. Talk to CCP on how they manage tens-of-thousands of people running on a single-sharded game world and do it that way.

Going into a much, MUCH, larger scope, build the entire world, and have people who sign up have to use their RL address. When you log in for the first time you will "spawn" at your RL address and will have to work from there. Makes playing with RL friends all the more special.

Probably too big a scale to work, but I think something like this has the potential to be much more than just a game.

*EDIT: Of course in the large scope of the world, vehicles would have to be plentiful, but with the amount of vehicles in urban areas today, shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Toggl3
  • Like 2

I would want to see

-Larger Map

-Many places with different kinds of useful loot

-Maybe 2 big island where you can only get to the 2nd island if you repair a boat (where you get the best loot and there are also the strongest zombies)

-Every building should be open

-natural disasters like earthquakes or hurricans

-Zombies shouldnt spawn 1 sec after they are dead, once you kill all of them in one city, the city should be free of zombies and they are coming in waves from the outside to take it back and you have to defend it (would need teamwork!!)

• Like 1

I would want to see

-Larger Map

-Many places with different kinds of useful loot

-Maybe 2 big island where you can only get to the 2nd island if you repair a boat (where you get the best loot and there are also the strongest zombies)

-Every building should be open

-natural disasters like earthquakes or hurricans

-Zombies shouldnt spawn 1 sec after they are dead, once you kill all of them in one city, the city should be free of zombies and they are coming in waves from the outside to take it back and you have to defend it (would need teamwork!!)

Reading great ideas like that (especially natural disasters) makes me kind of sad because I know it won't happen. -_-

I'll like to see more buildings to enter and maybe a underground subway that will take you to another "map". Now that this game has grown and is continuing to grow, they will definitely need another map. I like the alone feeling I get when I play this game.

I love chernarus. Just make it bigger please. Slap some serious mountainrange somewhere.

Edited by Tigger

South Wales would make a great map

Last time I was in south Wales I thought there had been a zombie apocalypse.

I'm confused by the references to 'end game' areas that keep popping up in here and elsewhere. I'd like to think that as a fresh spawn or new player as soon as you begin on that beach you are at 'end game', but I digress....

The majority of buildings should be enterable and more varied loot would be nice to see.

• Like 1

Keep Chernarus but make more buildings enterable

That is not possible i'm affraid, it is a arma 2 map, and all the enterable buildings are enterable in arma 2 as well, rocket just added loot in them