Sign in to follow this  
JulieMeyers

Make weapon-holstering keybound

Make weapon-holstering keybound.

Right now everybody is running around with their guns pointed where they look no matter what. This makes a lot of players, including myself, feel threatened when running into a player.

Enabling weapon-holstering (or simply lowering it) would make players feel less threaned.

So, why would you ever lower your weapon? you might ask.

Make it so that you can only sprint while you've got the weapon holstered. Perhaps even make it so that players move 1 bar more silent.

This way the holstering would be something that people want to be using in order to slip by zombies faster & undetected.

AND players shooting at you will be slower than you. Makes it a bit easier to escape.

In addition to this ...

Raising your weapon should take 2-3 seconds & make some sound. This way another player would have a few seconds to react before shooting occurs. This by taking cover or trying to shoot back.

Optional

Automaticly holster weapon when trying to sprint while having it "aimed".

While you can lower it with left ctrl, it's not an option that a lot of players are aware of. Neither does it offer you any type of advantage. It's basicly just a stance without any impact in the game since you can still insta-aim.

This will not stop senseless murder

But will sure as hell lower it by making some situations feel less threatening.

Other threads similar

There are other threads where a similar suggestion is made but those all want some sort of forced weapon-holstering in a certain zone on the map. That's not what I want. I want it to be optional and give some advantages.

Edited by JulieMeyers
  • Like 12

left control will lower your weapon.......just sayin.

The character already lowers the gun while sprinting, basic gun safety.

left control will lower your weapon.......just sayin.

But moving/left clicking makes it go into instant aim again. I want there to be a small delay so that another player at least got a chance to drop to the floor into cover.

When you stop after sprinting you immediately point your gun where you look again. Most players walk around like this all the time. I have never seen a player walk around with a lowered or holstered weapon.

Edited by JulieMeyers

Why would anyone holster their weapon in a world full of zombies and homicidal maniacs?

Why would anyone holster their weapon in a world full of zombies and homicidal maniacs?

Read about the advantages in my first post.

Nice suggestion. That should saulve the problem "can i trust you?" ^^

+1 from me :)

When you press gear holding a handgun, player model point it upwards, but lowers at the slightest movement. I'd defenently like to see a lower/holstering variant for the handgun.

I really like the idea, its fully immersive, would help friendly players to get identified and still leave the option to use the apocalypse as killing spree.

Hurts no one, adds to the gameplay. Tasty can of beans for you!

Yes, ability to put down your weapon would be welcome.

rifles can use the 2x ctrl, but pistols cant, and even then proning brings the gun back up.

Holstering, rifles on the back and pistols on the belt. also rearming should be realistic, not too slow and not too fast.

Sounds like a very good idea!

The other day I got sniped and did a quick run back to my corps and started looting when a other survior showed up, I just had a hatchet out but had looted most of my old stuff, and he was nice enought to not shoot first and ask questions later. So I thought I should show my thanks and lower my weapon (hatchet) by puting it in my tool belt but what I didn't think about then was that would make my handgun pop up in my hands instead... then I was dead again.

• Like 1

Sounds like a very good idea!

The other day I got sniped and did a quick run back to my corps and started looting when a other survior showed up, I just had a hatchet out but had looted most of my old stuff, and he was nice enought to not shoot first and ask questions later. So I thought I should show my thanks and lower my weapon (hatchet) by puting it in my tool belt but what I didn't think about then was that would make my handgun pop up in my hands instead... then I was dead again.

Yes! It's situations like this that could easily happen because you simply point your gun at somebody. Even though you dont really mean any harm it is perceived as a serious threat to other player. They need to make a split second decision that simply comes down to a "me or you"-situation.

It's a huge risk to not shoot and that's why most people become murderers in the first place I think. With weapons holstered you could start talking and if that other person decides to bring up their gun then you've got a few seconds to run for it or at least take cover.

Edited by JulieMeyers

There should definitely be some intermediary stage between ATTACK and SPRINT and back again. It'd be nice if when sprinting holstered your rifle, you would have to do some action in order to get it out again. That would give value to the difference between running and sprinting.

Definitely thumbs up on the pistol holstering. Every weapon should have not just a lower action but a holster action that makes rearming take an extended period of time.

Hi guys, not been playing long, but can totally get this post, just about everything I read says " Shoot first ask questions later " and in my opinion that is wrong.

Ive had this twice in game now where the guy was probably ok, and I could have made a friend to play with, but because his gun was out and so was mine, shots were fired and people died.

I like the OPs idea. In reality people would not shoot first, people would not have there gun out constantly, Ie: Eating, picking things up, in some cases running, Most people would put weapons away for these things, and that should be replicated in game.

I think Dayz is awesome, it certainly needs some fine tuning here and there, but its a great sandbox game. Personally id like to see a few working vehicles now and again, I know its the Apocalypse, but Zombies wouldnt eat cars / bikes, and people would not have destroyed all of them...

While possible, that is also really stupid and makes no sense. (Not a knock against you, kudos for figuring it out.)

While we're at it, why are secondary weapon animations so horrible. You auto-kneel to check your pack even if you're prone? Come on, now, BI.