Sign in to follow this  
Travis31

Combat logging: Am I guilty or innocent?

So every time I hear gunshots and i don't know where they came from, it makes my heart race. Even when i'm playing with my buds, and they forget to call out their shots, my trigger finger winces.

Long story short, me and a bud had a bad zombie experience with non-stop zombies in nw airfield, and a zombie knocks him out and kills him thru the wall of the barracks. He had a ghillie suit. I really want to get him another.

I got lucky once in the apartments of cherno and though 'why not, maybe lightning will strike twice. I loot thru the apts, make my way out of town, log, switch servers, etc. One server, at night, I am finishing up looting, when a zombie sees me, OK, thought I, just run into the last apt and finish him off. So i do. And right after, BANG. Real close. I run up the stairs and go prone. I'm in a back room, at the top of the two-story apt, overlooking the only approach, the stairs, and kill two other zombies eventually as they waltz their way up. And down below I hear more gunfire. 2 or 3 shots.

My heart is racing. I'm frozen in place. I'm watching the stairs. I can hear footsteps. It stops. More footsteps. It stops. Nothing. For about a minute or two, i'm watching the only approach with my M4A3 CCO, red dot pointed and ready to kill anything that pokes it's head up the stairs. Nothing. Then it hits me. What if someone is trying to ghost me right now? I haven't heard anything for a minute. I log out.

I never took damage. Innocent on combat logging, right? I still felt a little dirty, but i have some good sh*t i don't want to lose. :/

dont get attached to your shit? goddamnit?

server hopping for loot and then get scared. you are doing it wrong. as the other guy said. patience. best times in this game. i waited sometimes 5 minutes or more.

till the other guy lost his patience and runs into my crosshair. or i die. which is worth it because you get that tension nowere else.

Edited by Bezki
  • Like 2

YOU SLUT!!!!! j/king do what you gotta do. I got hacked so getting and loseing gear right now doesnt even phase me anymore =/. You should have hunted him down though!!!

Even if you're innocent of combat logging, you're still guilty of server hopping to get loot. That's just as bad, and you should feel bad.

• Like 1

Guilty... things liek this are called Patience

But what if the other guy really did DC and was trying to get around him and then join back, idk this seems like a gray area almost but ya your still kind of guilty

But what if they were ghosting? Is it really patience to watch the one entrance, knowing I would win in a fair fight, only to have someone log in behind me or into one of the side rooms?

Even if you're innocent of combat logging, you're still guilty of server hopping to get loot. That's just as bad, and you should feel bad.

I suppose that's true. If i'm intentionally server hopping like this, eh? You would suggest finding one server and always playing on that one server then?

Should of just ran down the stairs screaming...

"Lee Roy Jenkins mother fuckers!!!!"

• Like 6

But what if the other guy really did DC and was trying to get around him and then join back, idk this seems like a gray area almost but ya your still kind of guilty

This is my thought. I feel dirty, but somehow also justified. Besides, it's not my job to stay logged in just because i hear shots. Hell, i don't even know if they were aimed at me, but i know the other guy sure as hell heard the 6 shots i squeezed killing the 4 zombies that waltzed their way up into the apt.

Should of just ran down the stairs screaming...

"Lee Roy Jenkins mother fuckers!!!!"

Haha. That would have been glorious. Even moreso if i'd have won. But the entrance/exit stairs to the apt is soooo open. I'd have been a sitting duck. Or rather, running around like a turkey with its head cut off, eh?

dont get attached to you shit? goddamnit?

server hopping for loot and then get scared. you are doing it wrong. as the other guy said. patience. best times in this game. i waited sometimes 5 minutes or more.

till the other guy lost his patience and runs into my crosshair. or i die. which is worth it because you get that tension nowere else.

Haha, yea, probably. This is my longest living character, and it's probably still a chump compared to most. Trying to hold my own a little longer, if possible, without dying to cheap tactics.

how is he guilty when he was not even in combat, the only reason rocket was sorting the game is for people that actually logout when they have been shot or actually in combat, he is perfectly fine to logout when he is neither in combat or has been shot

Haha. That would have been glorious. Even moreso if i'd have won. But the entrance/exit stairs to the apt is soooo open. I'd have been a sitting duck. Or rather, running around like a turkey with its head cut off, eh?

Haha yup, the direct chat can really freak people out, just shouting or breathing down the mic while sneaking around near people has caused people to DC from me lol funny stuff :P

Haha, yea, probably. This is my longest living character, and it's probably still a chump compared to most. Trying to hold my own a little longer, if possible, without dying to cheap tactics.

And if you got the "Trinity" hatchet, knife, matches... leave the Big cities and head into the "bush" you can survive for a very long time just hit the small town, make your way to the NW airfield for a challenge :P

And if you got the "Trinity" hatchet, knife, matches... leave the Big cities and head into the "bush" you can survive for a very long time just hit the small town, make your way to the NW airfield for a challenge :P

I do have the trinity. And a tent in the woods with like 15 blood bags and 25 morphine. Just hoping i'd find a ghillie. My bud was bummed (and a bit frustrated) at being killed by a zombie thru the wall. And i'd only just given him the ghille. I was thinking i might let him borrow my M4A3 CCO; it's the best gun I've used so far; and I've only used about 5 guns lol. I was thinking i'd let him feel how sweet it is and broaden my horizons a bit.

It's an exploid. So actually ur guilty, but since every coward uses it, whatever.

That trinity will only last you until your water is blinking. You need a canteen and that trinity then you're set.

I spent the last 3 or 4 days logging into servers and looting each little village on my trek north through deer stands , I had a CZ 550 and a M1a6 with the m203 grenade attachment , had 6 clips of ammo for each and an Alice pack . I make it on my own to the NW airfield at night and im raiding , forget to check the hanger properly on entering I aggro a zombie , run into the hanger

and Im gunned down by three man squad just sitting waiting there in the dark !

Gutted , but I will learn from my mistake !

Lonewolf is difficult , zombies are easy its those pesky humans you have to watch out for !

tonight im on a rescue mission for my cousin at the NW airfield he is broken legs and low on blood , need to run from the coast all the way to get him

• Like 2

I do have the trinity. And a tent in the woods with like 15 blood bags and 25 morphine. Just hoping i'd find a ghillie. My bud was bummed (and a bit frustrated) at being killed by a zombie thru the wall. And i'd only just given him the ghille. I was thinking i might let him borrow my M4A3 CCO; it's the best gun I've used so far; and I've only used about 5 guns lol. I was thinking i'd let him feel how sweet it is and broaden my horizons a bit.

Yeah it's always nice helping mates out, I gave up my mp5 to give to my mate cause he was fuming as he hadnt found a gun in 4 hours of gameplay :P still managed to kill a bandit with the trusty hatchet and got a m16 :)

Soon after we both got sniped and he rage quit :P

• Like 1

I had a similar experience, was approaching the same appartment buildings when a guy suddenly opened fire with a silenced m16. Only thing i could do is zig zag run into one of the apartments (one of the 2 stock buildings with two rooms you can enter) and while running upstairs to the top room i see in the corner of my eye another guy looting a dead guy in the lower room.

So I ran upstairs, checked if someone was following me and made my way to the room in the back and proned. Staying there with the gun pointed at the door and having a look back every few seconds is 100% safe from ghosting, no one can get a position behind you and noone can enter the door without you noticing. So my vote goes for guilty :P

What happened to me was that after 2 or 3 minutes of silence and a 160 pulse I direct chatted the guy in the lower room and after some time we decided to work together, bloodbagged up and when we heard shots outside he took his cz550 and snipered the guy who shot me before and made me run to the apartment.

So in my opinion the situation could be handled without combat logging.

Very guilty.

Go play another game, this one is not for you. Death is part of this game.

If your just going to use the excuse "well he might have been ghosting" everytime to justify it, then why not do it all the time? How do you know he was? Maybe he was waiting for you?

You have to play fair and if someone else does not then its them whos the loser in life.

If everyone had your attitude then this game would die even quicker than it is.

I had a similar experience, was approaching the same appartment buildings when a guy suddenly opened fire with a silenced m16. Only thing i could do is zig zag run into one of the apartments (one of the 2 stock buildings with two rooms you can enter) and while running upstairs to the top room i see in the corner of my eye another guy looting a dead guy in the lower room.

So I ran upstairs, checked if someone was following me and made my way to the room in the back and proned. Staying there with the gun pointed at the door and having a look back every few seconds is 100% safe from ghosting, no one can get a position behind you and noone can enter the door without you noticing. So my vote goes for guilty :P

What happened to me was that after 2 or 3 minutes of silence and a 160 pulse I direct chatted the guy in the lower room and after some time we decided to work together, bloodbagged up and when we heard shots outside he took his cz550 and snipered the guy who shot me before and made me run to the apartment.

So in my opinion the situation could be handled without combat logging.

I just couldn't help but think what i'd do if i wanted to cheat or play unfair in the other person's shoes. It'd be easy to log in on one of the side rooms, and the lean around the corner and pop me one. Hell, there might have even been someone there already, frozen in fear like i was too. There is no doubt that there was some cowardice in my action. But bravery is not waiting in a room watching staircase all night either.

I just couldn't help but think what i'd do if i wanted to cheat or play unfair in the other person's shoes. It'd be easy to log in on one of the side rooms, and the lean around the corner and pop me one. Hell, there might have even been someone there already, frozen in fear like i was too. There is no doubt that there was some cowardice in my action. But bravery is not waiting in a room watching staircase all night either.

But isnt that the fun of the game? Not ghosting of course, but not knowing what could happen and DEAL with it? I dont get why so many people use every single exploit or possibility to cheat, this takes all the fun out of the game.

If you are in such a tricky situation, do your best and use your surroundings to give you cover in the best possible way. Thats all you can do. If someone tricks you, call him a dickhead and start again. Just like life.

Very guilty.

Go play another game, this one is not for you. Death is part of this game.

If your just going to use the excuse "well he might have been ghosting" everytime to justify it, then why not do it all the time? How do you know he was? Maybe he was waiting for you?

You have to play fair and if someone else does not then its them whos the loser in life.

If everyone had your attitude then this game would die even quicker than it is.

I get that too. I made an assumption based off griping I've seen on the board. He could have been straight legit, waiting for me to exit. But realistically, I was not going to exit that building. I had 5 water bottles and 4 food. I wasn't going to exit the building any time soon. Nor did I log off quickly; I waited a good 2-3 minutes, 1 whole minute without hearing anything. There has to come a point when 'not combat logging' gives way to 'GO PRONE AND WAIT: THE GAME!" I readily admit I wasn't going to wait there all night, nor do i think anyone would demand i do so. Right?

But isnt that the fun of the game? Not ghosting of course, but not knowing what could happen and DEAL with it? I dont get why so many people use every single exploit or possibility to cheat, this takes all the fun out of the game.

If you are in such a tricky situation, do your best and use your surroundings to give you cover in the best possible way. Thats all you can do. If someone tricks you, call him a dickhead and start again. Just like life.

Tricky situation makes it sound like I gave up on something I could not win. I had the high ground. Nothing short of a well placed grenade or cheating could have ousted me. Perhaps if they'd gotten on the hill west of the western 2 story one, but i don't even know if he'd be able to see me from there. I guess realistically it might help to talk more about how long I should have waited before being allowed to log off. Because demanding i stay logged in indefinitely until killing or being killed by the other player is very roman Colosseum-esque.

Tricky situation makes it sound like I gave up on something I could not win. I had the high ground. Nothing short of a well placed grenade or cheating could have ousted me. Perhaps if they'd gotten on the hill west of the western 2 story one, but i don't even know if he'd be able to see me from there. I guess realistically it might help to talk more about how long I should have waited before being allowed to log off. Because demanding i stay logged in indefinitely until killing or being killed by the other player is very roman Colosseum-esque.

If you did not enter the building planning to log off then my opinion is: never. Wait, or clear the situation.

Just my opinion, if waiting for minutes while thinking about all possible moves and consequences is nothing you like then in my humble opinion this is not the right game for you.

• Like 1