Sign in to follow this  
pendelum5

Day Z 1.5.2: Give me your answer do

While the current gameplay has a relatively steep learning curve (which is good imo), once you figure out where stuff spawns Day Z just turns into a game of camping rare item spawns across multiple servers, then using those items to kill anyone who tries to stop you. Adding more valuable resources such as vehicles is good, but it won't help the current situation regarding "end-game" play.

Here's a hodgepodge list of current potential issues as the game progresses:

• Resource Redundancy: Alternate methods of gaining resources could be used to balance out the gameplay. This could include specific and reliable spawn locations (eg. an out-house that spawns a hunting knife and matches every 10-30 minutes) placed near spawns, and others in more vulnerable, remote locations (eg. an isolated linebox with 15 zombies guarding it that spawns binoculars or night vision goggles every 2-3 hours). This would allow for a more organized and structured metagame concerning resources, so that players can actually learn from finding good loot.

• Hunter vs Hunted: The zombies themselves are rather harmless once you understand how to trick the AI. They could become more difficult (HP buffs, knockdown, damage, infection mechanic), or additional classes of zombies could be created that hold different attributes. (Resident Evil's Licker, Half-Life's Poison Zombie) They could have separate behavior patterns, like roaming, stalking, and retreating in response to player actions.

• Balancing the Bandit: The humanity system works and does not give an unfair advantage to either player. I like the idea of safe-zones, like specific buildings where friendly fire is off. It would encourage more spontaneous teamwork and provide a hub should trading be implemented. Then again, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Spawns vs Space: The bandit problem is manageable, the main problem with this game at the moment is spawning and how it affects the coordination efforts of teams as well as resource-gathering routes. Limit the spawn points to 3 or so clusters circling the SE corner of the map? It would certainly make respawning more bearable and help teams link up faster after somebody bites the dust.

• "No homo" Homeostasis: If I manage to survive a zombie encounter with under 4000 blood, chances are I'm a goner (unless I have a friendly bro nearby to give me a blood pack / an entire cooked pig). I'm going to have a hard time trying to accomplish anything due to vision and movement restrictions. Players should regenerate blood once it drops below 10000. I think that a rate of 10 blood/minute (600 blood/hour) is a fair estimate. This could scale with hunger / thirst levels and even increase the rate at which you need to eat / drink for the sake of realism.

I know these ideas are

, feel free to raise concerns about the viability of these solutions.

Good summary and breakdown there of some of the key issues we're facing. The DayZ forums have spoken, and I've now listened, as this thread and a number of others have convinced me of the need to dedicate some more time to balancing beyond just the game-breaking login issues and DC. So much to do,... so little time....

I'm not going to lie, this is the most fun I've had with a zombie game in a while, and I think a lot of people feel the same way. Thanks for making such a fantastic mod, the ARMA 2 engine feels perfect for a zombie apocalypse.

Rocket maybe you guys should set up a Teamspeak or voice sever for people to help you guys out the CITYLIFE2 community have one witch helps develop the mod for them. this would give you more time to work on stuff and faster input on issues from the players to your self.

The "throwing bottles" mechanic was my first toy with changing some of the zombies behavior. There have been some good suggestions in this and other threads. Focus at the moment is on the real big issues raised - but occasionally I might get time to expand the little things a bit, just to stop myself going completely insane.

Anyone who is keep to out with scripting please contact dayzdevteam@gmail.com

DayZ takes a radically different approach to coding from CityLife and such, so I'm not sure there is much opportunity for cross-pollination. I could be wrong though.

you maybe right on that there as i know that ArMaTec has a driffreant type of code and way hes scripts is nuts but they are two completely diffreant games. I got an email from your team saying

We're not looking to rip scripts/models/work from other projects in the ArmA community. Thank you for your concern anyway but if we want something we'll develop it ourself in order to work best with the system.

Sam Maunder - Marketing Director

and I total understand this as a dev you want to make something unique and done in house not taken from other places however maybe there should be a post in here saying a guide line of what your team is after and what there not this may help new player to the game who post alot of good ideas but not able to be done or you not taking that set route.

Sam's response is bang on, we don't want to rip out anyone elses work. However, this is not about doing everything my way :)

I opened up my entire source to MH6 to see if he can help out, and Nux also reviews the code to make suggestions where possible. ANY talented scripter is welcome, but we don't want to rip others work nor try and hack others peoples stuff in if it is offered. New code should be developed by the team and reviewed as such.

tl;dr - we're looking for people to join the team, not submit bits and pieces of code

• "No homo" Homeostasis: If I manage to survive a zombie encounter with under 4000 blood' date=' chances are I'm a goner ([i']unless I have a friendly bro nearby to give me a blood pack / an entire cooked pig). I'm going to have a hard time trying to accomplish anything due to vision and movement restrictions. Players should regenerate blood once it drops below 10000. I think that a rate of 10 blood/minute (600 blood/hour) is a fair estimate. This could scale with hunger / thirst levels and even increase the rate at which you need to eat / drink for the sake of realism.

I know these ideas are

, feel free to raise concerns about the viability of these solutions.

The health regeneration is something my group has discussed and we believe it should be affected by food and drink levels, if you've drank and eaten recently you have MAX regeneration, and as it deterioration you gain less.

As an added fall back food and drink should go down quicker if your regenerating health.

Rocket Sounds nuts but when you do get time can you make a post of the team who are working the mod as I find scripts that are done by a few guy who i think are part of your team?

Such as people keep asking for Holster stuff and the CLY holster is done by celery who i think is a team dev member. would help players who post ideas when researching stuff to bring to you guys and say one of your devs made this would it be able to be put in game?

I am currently the only one who has worked on in-game scripts.

Celery is not a team member but has kindly provided me advice on balancing issues and design, particularly around future changes to the spawn mechanics.

ah this makes more sense now that you put it in this way as your a one man band then. fair play to you. time must be one of the hard things to find when people keep shutting they want stuff i was under the impression that this was a much larger team such like the one at CityLife now that i see your the one who has to do all this on your own much respect to you sir.