FuzzyPooka

DayZ for Counsoles :]

I don't think that Day Z would have a market among the majority of console users.

From what I have seen in my personal experience of people who enjoy consoles in high school (the same people who laugh every time the teacher says "Homo erectus") would not very much care for a time-consuming sandbox game without a clear endgame. Sure they would get it to see what all the hype is about, but once they lose the initial reaction they would either never play it again or complain on the forums about how bad it is.

And betting that age group and audience would make up the majority of console users I believe it would fail if they did go through the bother of porting it.

Sure it is possible, although time consuming, but I don't think that we need the intelligence on the forums to regress any more than it has.

Edited by Riemer

Heheheheh. I laughed at that in 3rd grade. It would have a market, I assure you. Survival horror games are quite popular, as the success of Dead Space, DeadRising, and various Zombie titles have proven. Counsoles also promote communication, and playing with friends. Most Counsole gamers average at about 17, contrary to the numerous squeakers. Which, happens to be the average PC gamer age, as most over 20 preferring get on with life in general.

Games on consoles are designed for people who don't really want any challenge or dedication to a game. They just want to sit back and relax, grab double big mac royale in one hand, joystick in other hand and press 'A' to win. Occasionally, they would put the joystick down to grab a glass of Diet Cola. That's it.

DayZ is a hardcore game that demands extreme amount of time and dedication. It doesnt fit into console audience thus from every point of view there's no point to port it to console whats so ever.

As I have clearly said before, too hardcore is not a valid argument. Get off this post, or give me a reason I havent proven..

Have you played the zombie games that are out there for console? They are not survival horror. They are shooters. The walking dead I'd say falls under a RPG. They are not anywhere in the same league as DayZ.

Your inability to properly cite a post you are specifically replying to finishes off the idea that i'm not looking at your thread anymore, following the fact that you call anyone who disagrees a flamer. They say things that you addressed in the OP because they disagree with the information. Continuing to use CoD as a reference, there are games where more than half the players don't have mics all the time. Just because it comes in the box doesn't mean they plug it in and use it.

And just to fully knock this out of the park, do yuu think bandits are bad now?

/thread. direct any replies to someone else.

Next gen consoles wont be anywhere near PCs of this year. Arma3 is looming and consoles wont have the power to play games of that scale for a very very long time.

You dont seem to have any understanding of what can cause performance to drop on lower quality hardware. Fair enough, my knowledge is almost completely from the source engine, but if anything, this has helped me understand that much more advanced games than source would need amazing amounts of optimization to may them playable.

Btw BF3 maps are tiny.

As for your argument about button mapping. Just no. You couldnt efficiently fit all the controls on.

And lastly. This goes against everything BIS is about in regards to Arma, hopefully, they will never do it.

They have fans that appreciate a horror and survival element. Is DayZ not a shooter? So you hug your fellow survivors? No. We brutally murder them, usually with guns. And fight Zambehs. Same as a survival Horror, such as Dead Island. Kill Zambehs and Bandits. With guns.

Not anyone who disagrees. I have given beans to people that actually give me reason. However, I prefer not to answer again, so look at my original post to see if I have discussed your problem.

About Mics... If you played both PC and Counsole, you would know that roughly 90% of people use Mics. 40% on PC.

Bandits are part of the game. They will ultimately show up. But,with I,proved communication, they should actually be better. It's helpful when the person your talking to actually replies.

Next gen consoles wont be anywhere near PCs of this year. Arma3 is looming and consoles wont have the power to play games of that scale for a very very long time.

You dont seem to have any understanding of what can cause performance to drop on lower quality hardware. Fair enough, my knowledge is almost completely from the source engine, but if anything, this has helped me understand that much more advanced games than source would need amazing amounts of optimization to may them playable.

Btw BF3 maps are tiny.

As for your argument about button mapping. Just no. You couldnt efficiently fit all the controls on.

And lastly. This goes against everything BIS is about in regards to Arma, hopefully, they will never do it.

The game would hopefully be standalone, and not dependat on the Arma Engine, as I have clearly posted over and over.

Yes, Battlefield maps are not the biggest.

Yes, I have have clearly posted you can. Give me an action, and I will map it.

Edited by FuzzyPooka

I kind of agree somewhat with the neck beards trolling here, it would be hard to even sell something that is trying to strive for realism on the console VS the PC. Not saying that I am a fanboy for one or the other, but I agree totally on the fact that the two systems would need to have two seperate communities, which means dedicated servers for the consoles and thats going to cost the company let alone all the bull-ish corporate crap they would have to go through. I agree, it would be neat to see it on the console but realistically like state above, the corporate world wont even look at that option just because it's a new title that doesn't have a "dedicated fanbase". And by dedicated I mean people who have bought into the stand alone title.

Plus would you really want it to go to consoles? I mean you run that risk, and who knows the Bohemia team might get greedy when they see the numbers after this final game releases and become exactly like EA. Then, you will see the titles definitely going into the toilet. In the corporate world, fans don't mean anything...

As I have clearly said before, too hardcore is not a valid argument. Get off this post, or give me a reason I havent proven..

Simply stating an argument isn't valid doesn't invalidate it. Let's try an analogy.

Spelling "consoles" like "counsoles" is stupid and therefore I clearly state that your entire thread is invalid!

See how that doesn't work in the slightest and makes me seem like a douche bag?

Much like you are asking for reasons why DayZ on console isn't justified, you have to provide an actual argument in return instead of outright declaring entire topics as inherently invalid arguments.

Graz has already provided a wealth of arguments as to why porting DayZ to console right now simply doesn't make any sort of logical sense or is simply technically infeasible at this time. This includes the "hardcore" argument.

To add some specificity to the blanket term "hardcore", I don't think that there would be enough console gamers who could tolerate DayZ's qualities to give DayZ on console reasonable numbers. Such qualities include (but not limited to):

- Permadeath

- Gigantic map that you are more often traversing on foot

- Open persistent world

I am not even personally aware of any open persistent world FPS games for the console. Please correct my ignorance if I am wrong. Googling for such turns up only a very recent title called "Hybrid" that is upcoming and not even yet released. It doesn't look anywhere near the caliber of persistent world of DayZ, but I'm curious to see how that's received. The very fact that Hybrid only now, many years later, seems to be pioneering the persistent world FPS concept to console gamers surely lends some credence to those of us saying console gamers generally dislike hardcore game mechanics like that. Console gamers tend to want 'matches' with finite blocks of time, things they can 'win' and get achievements for.

Think of how a console gamer views a smartphone gamer. Smartphone people want a game they can pickup and start playing in seconds and accomplish things/beat levels in mere minutes. That's just the type of game they generally want. That's a similar type of view from PC gaming to console gaming. Smartphone gamers want more instant gratification than console gamers, and console gamers want more instant gratification than PC gamers.

I would vehemently be against DayZ on console if for no other reason than it takes away creative/development time and just time in general from the current PC DayZ mod. Even if they somehow magically were to get the funds to get people exclusively to work on a console port, Rocket would still be inundated with design decisions and other executive role type responsibilities to watch over said team/etc. Let them work on DayZ proper and get an official public release out (we're still in Alpha!) before something like this is even vaguely entertained. I'd still be against it even then, though, so that they can focus purely on PC DayZ. Otherwise, they'd have to think about "well we need to make sure this new feature we introduce is also workable for a console environment" vs. just thinking about what cool features/mechanics they can implement period.

By not a valid augment, I am saying that I have clearly posted in my thread that the "Too Hardcore" cannot be factually proved, and I would prefer people give intelligent answers on is post. Therefore, I will not listen to stupid answers such as- this game is too hardcore. Give me a factual reason why. Your claims about Counsole players wanting action are relatively true. But, saying as A PC also has fast paced titles such as: Blacklight Retribution, Team Fortress 2, CallofDuty make the same terms apply. Both have their share of slow and fast paced games, so neither can be truly judged.

I agree on your last paragraph. This thread is just to make it public. Counsole players want this game. So, when the time does come when it is standalone, our wishes may be complete.

Thank you for your post, and a intelligent argument.

(My iPad spell checks consoles to Counsoles. I do hope you get my meaning overall.)

NO because 90% of console gamers are whiney little kids playing on their dads console....it ruins the whole purpose of the game

If you overcame all of the technical issues with the client, simplified controls etc. you would still have a major issue.

Servers.

What's the server capacity for a console match of BF3, 24v24?

This is the biggest limiting factor. The reason PC gamers can play together in larger quantities is because of dedicated servers. Any idea what the difference between a "listen" server and a "dedicated" server is? A listen server is when one of the players is hosting while playing the game, so everyone else in the game connects to the "most stable" connection from all of the players. A dedicated server is just what it sounds like: a separate PC is setup to host, while all the other players connect to it without having to connect to each other in a sense.

All of the servers running DayZ are dedicated servers that people pay for, and can support anywhere from 50-100 players concurrently. Most if not all console games use the Listen server method because it's exponentially cheaper when the people who already bought your game are hosting for you for free basically, at the cost of reduced players in a game. You CAN setup dedicated servers for the 360, but you have to wade through Microsoft's shit to do it. They charge you a licensing fee out the ass, and you have to use specific servers to host content with that are approved and validated by Microsoft. Then you have to pay the exorbitant monthly fees associated with that, since there are only a handful of providers opposed to the PC server market.

This is the biggest reason why DayZ will not be coming to consoles any time in the next 5 years.

Honestly, I am tired of reading "please, oh please port DAYZ to console" posts.

I am going to tell you why this game will not work on consoles.

First of all, the Xbox 360 has 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz. My four year old school laptop has more memory than the Xbox 360.

Also, the Xbox 360 has a triple core processor that is clocked at 3.2 GHz. This is not terrible but it probably not even close to the majority of DAYZ players' CPUs.

The Xbox 360 uses the Xenos GPU. This, by today's standards, is rubbish. Most PC gamers smoke this card, at the very least, 5 fold.

Even with next gen console it would be hard to beat a PC of last year or even two years ago.

Consoles are made for casual gamers. This is the reason why so many FPS and arcade games come out for them.

*Also as a side note to the ones saying DAYZ is a FPS: DAYZ is based on ARMA II which is indeed a military simulator game not a FPS game.*

This game could never be run on a console or next gen console based upon the requirements need to properly run the game.

Remember when BF3 came out for Xbox 360? It looked like shit until you downloaded the good texture pack because the game could not be fit on the DVD with the good textures.

So what does that mean? Think about the size of Chernarus. Are they going to make a 5 disk set for the game? No, of course not. That is totally a turn-off for the gaming community.

Disk sets were only cool in the 90's about the time of the original playstation.

Another point here is that no matter what anyone says, I fully believe that no matter how you try to configure it, ARMA controls will never be possible on a controller. I wouldn't even want to try to play it with a controller, it would ruin the game because in order to play the game you NEED more than 12 buttons or so to play.

Also, the console gaming community is absolutely ignorant and, that is all i have to say on that matter.

To conclude this reply: (I'm sorry for any misspellings, I'm not reading this over again to check it, it is just a reply and most of you will still get the ideas.)

* Consoles do not have enough power to run a game like DAYZ/ARMA II and even IF it did it would be in a disk set if not downloaded.

* The console community is pitiful.

* If you try to play DAYZ with a controller, you're gonna have a bad time.

* Please, for the sake of the Suggestion forums never post a "port-to-console" thread.

And for those of you who read all of this,

Thank you for your time!

--- Strouth ---

• Like 1

It's okay. Counsole is spelt in different ways,as in color.

No... Yes there is colour, armour, and shoppe. But counsole is just plain not a word. :P But that's beside the point.

It would simply require too much time, money, and effort for it to be worth Rockets time. Maybe once Dayz goes standalone for a while he makes his millions. Maybe then it can be something he looks into (Much like Minecraft and how that went) But it's FAAAAR too early in developement to even consider the idea for one second right now.

IMHO I do want DayZ to be for Xbox, PS3, and such. :D

But if you guys are whining about: Oh it does not have enough controls/ buttons. you can buy a cheap blutooth PS3 or Xbox keyboard and hook it up to a system. So there is a way...

But I think this would be a great idea if they develop a stand-alone game of DayZ.

Good idea.

-devon206

If it could go onto console then I say go for it, would keep out a lot of the cod kids [from the PC version]

Bohemia hasn't made any console games. So they'd have to hire a bunch of console developers or contract another company to port the game. They would also have to start hosting their own servers. They won't do any of that until they release the standalone copy of DayZ and determine if it would be worth the investment to port it to consoles.

Also, the word "counsole" is not in American, Canadian, or British english. So where exactly are you from that spells it that way?

No.

Wrong engine, wrong game, wrong market.

If they want to develop it like Minecraft, in the beginning it will be impossible until they have released the standalone.

Most computers that aren't good enough to run arma are far more powerful than consoles, think about that.