Sign in to follow this  
Ozelot (DayZ)

how well concealed is a ghillie player in heavy forest?

Let's say you are hiding up on a hill in a forested area, overlooking an open space.

If you are crouched/prone, can a player still see if they zoom in on you? What does your model look like at longer distances? What if you are moving?

Honestly, I'd think a prone ghillie guy in even light brush would be... Practically invisible, realisticly. But is this how it actually looks in ARMA engine?

Ghillie suits are only as successful as their user. If you're not moving you can be standing up in a forest and people will probably mistake you for a tree. Once you start moving, be it sprint or crawl, you're a target.

Sometimes its sick how much you blend in. Other times it doesnt work very well.

I try and go under the acorn(?) trees or even in bushes. :)

You are hard to spot if the other player is near you. Easy to spot from a longer distance, especially by players who are exploiting by turning graphics lower. You look like a huge kebab lying in the hill.

Grass doesn't render out to a certain distance, shadows only render out to 70m, so in a dense forest, you're fine if you aren't moving. But if they can look at your position from 120m+, then you are kinda easy to see. Blame the engine, not dayz

on opened fields - in the distance the grass disappears and everyone can see them, but not as good as a player without a ghillie - to be honest without a ghillie suit i feel "naked" ^^ in the woods at close range about 20-50 meters it is very hard to see ghillie guys - so only travel in woods

Let's say you are hiding up on a hill in a forested area, overlooking an open space.

If you are crouched/prone, can a player still see if they zoom in on you? What does your model look like at longer distances? What if you are moving?

Honestly, I'd think a prone ghillie guy in even light brush would be... Practically invisible, realisticly. But is this how it actually looks in ARMA engine?

If your foe is far off, you better be in a tree or something cause if you are not he can see you fairly easy. Which is because arma doesnt render grass past like 30 meters.

You are hard to spot if the other player is near you. Easy to spot from a longer distance, especially by players who are exploiting by turning graphics lower. You look like a huge kebab lying in the hill.

Lame. The game should make your model invisible at longer distances or something. I guess ghillies aren't as valuable as I thought then.

The thing that makes ghillie suits really powerful is that a player running through a forest won't notice you being still or just moving a bit if you are wearing a ghillie suit. It really does make you blend in as long as the viewer is not focusing on a single view.

Depends on your gaming experience and your eyes.

I will see most ghilli suited people just lying somewhere if there is no tree or bush hiding them (means he is BEHIND it and would not see me without third person view)

just because every player does not fit in the graphical nature of the game. its more difficult to spot ghillisuits than normal players. besides that, on a far away distance there is no gras shown. its loaded and shown around you.

Lame. The game should make your model invisible at longer distances or something. I guess ghillies aren't as valuable as I thought then.

Well still better than camo or civilian clothing. But without the baseball cap which is a huge downside.

Not many games have mechanics that can hide you in the grass without rendering the grass itself. Only game I've seen to do so is Joint Operations and thats an old game.

Has anyone noticed when you bend over in a pond to fill your water bottle you just look like pond grass. So legit

Edited by Hoskins123

Has anyone noticed when you bend over in a pond to fill your water bottle you just look like pond grass. So legit

Bend over like that manually in a forest next to a tree and look around with free look, people will think you're a bush.

Edited by Paeyvn

Sometimes its sick how much you blend in. Other times it doesnt work very well.

I try and go under the acorn(?) trees or even in bushes. :)

I'm pretty sure they're pine trees.

free%20pine%20tree%20digitalholeinone%202IMG_2412.png

Edited by Despedia

noted for future use

Since

How well concealed is a ghillie player in heavy forest?

As a hacker can find you instantly regardless if you are wearing a ghillie suit, I'm not sure if this question really matters.

I have had plenty of people run right past me (and im talking withing a couple meters) with my ghillie suit on and they didnt even notice me even though i was right infront of them

The Human eye is meant to detect moving targets, if a target is stationary, or hiding in a bush he can be invisble to you tell your within the 2 meters of him, but considering how DayZ grass view distance is there pretty much pointless at long range, open field, but works in forested areas, but its amazing once the enemy is 10 meters from you.

Yeah - you could easily take a dump on one of these guys wearing a ghillie suit and you'd not notice him. He would know though.

Edited by bogroll
  • Like 1

I got targeted right outside of stary on the north, I was facing north looking towards the 2 tree stands across the feilds. I was stationary in the same color bushes as my guilli, I used alt to look at myself, nothing but my gun barrel showing.

Some guy comes running up to me shooting, im not 100%sure if I was on a server where there is name tags.

I died

One of the best things about the ghilie suit is that it covers your backpack up.The backpack is one of the easiest ways of spotting a player, and without it you become incrementally more difficult to spot.