I an hour or so, I will enter the NW airfield for the first time. My intention is to get a better weapon that what I currently have (the Winchester).

How dangerous is the NW airfield compared to Cherno or Elektro? Do you guys have any tips on getting in and coming out alive?

probably a bit more dangerous than cherno/elektro, just know which part of the airfield u want to go to and be as fast as u can/sneak past the zombies

lots of zombies, and the players are far far better equipped usually there, you may well be shot at by people with high powered guns and night vision.

then again you may be lucky and find it empty!

probably a bit more dangerous than cherno/elektro' date=' just know which part of the airfield u want to go to and be as fast as u can/sneak past the zombies

[/quote']

I don't know which part I want to raid, though.

probably a bit more dangerous than cherno/elektro' date=' just know which part of the airfield u want to go to and be as fast as u can/sneak past the zombies

[/quote']

I don't know which part I want to raid, though.

if you come into the airfield from the north east side through the forest you can get to the barracks/firestation/aircontrol tower and some hangers quickly

I an hour or so' date=' I will enter the NW airfield for the first time. My intention is to get a better weapon that what I currently have (the Winchester).

How dangerous is the NW airfield compared to Cherno or Elektro? Do you guys have any tips on getting in and coming out alive?

[/quote']

winchetser is the best wep in the game imo..

Then there's a good chance you may die. Head to the northern end. Don't announced yourself.

Lots of zombies, easy to get caught out of place without a building to run into.

The biggest threat however is that anyone at the NW Airfield will not trust anyone else there. And there is a good reason behind that. Bandits, survivors.. makes no difference, the risk of getting shot is very real there. Bandits with Makarovs in cherno/elek don't have anything on survivors and bandits with high powered assault rifles.

Gotta be quick but smart, fast but stealthy. If you're by yourself, try as best as your ability to avoid any zombie aggro. If someone is hunting for players there, a bunch of zombies running one way is a great way to get spotted.

I would only go there at night or in numbers. Mostly because of zeds, but other players too.

Basically your odds of getting capped by a moron with a Makarov are low, as mentioned, but your odds of getting shot by a patient hunter who waited for you to grab some good loot and is waiting for you to get it away from the zombies for him is pretty high...

I an hour or so' date=' I will enter the NW airfield for the first time. My intention is to get a better weapon that what I currently have (the Winchester).

[/quote']

winchetser is the best wep in the game imo..

best for killing zombies, but if you have a revolver or m1911 you dont really need a winchester unless you are planning on killing a lot of zombies

I spent two careful days creeping there.. Worked my way north. Stopped in at the mil tents in Stary Sobor. Finally got up there, circled wide to make a northern approach.

I didn't hear any gunfire. I watched a break in the chain link for a while, then made my move. Found a broken section in the bottom portion of the wall, crawled in where there's a patch of forest on the inside, near the large Quonset buildings.

I had to go and logged out laying on the bushes, looking forward to my next session. When I logged in.... Back at the coast.. Sigh. No new patch or anything. Just an arbitrary respawn (but with no gear loss, so a minor plus!)

Welcome to beta.

Picture Cherno.

Now picture it with wide open plains, lots more zombies, and players equipped with the best weapons the game has to offer all trying to kill each other.

That's what the NW airfield is like.

Best to come in from the forest and keep away from the runways, and keep an ear out for approaching bandits when in the barracks.

Last time I went in there by myself I was lucky to get out, I took an M9SD round at point blank from a bandit but because I heard him coming he took a 45 to the face.

The easiest way to get good loot from the NW is the barracks in the south west, theres plenty of cover be it trees or walls, no sniper can get a shot in there and the barracks have the best chance of weapon spawns, either that or try the deer stands all over the map.

Thanks for the help, everyone! For anyone who's interested, here's how things went down:

I approached from the north, made it through, and stopped in the woods behind the fire station. I saw no dead bodies or abnormal zombie movements. I found an AKM in the firehouse garage (and let me say here that I'm ASSUMING this building was the firehouse; I don't know for sure).

The hangar to the south was empty, but the second hangar had some AKM mags and morphine. I wanted to check the barracks, but a zombie snuck up on me when I was looting the second hangar, and the shots attracted a small group from outside. I got the hell out of Dodge in case anyone saw or heard.

Thanks again for the advice!

In the future also be extremely careful of connecting players. Always be in a position where you have cover/concealment behind you when a player connects. A lot of server hoppers go on the NW airfield and usually won't be afraid of shooting other players since they disconnect if anything happens. They might even spawn into the firestation/atc/barracks while you are in it so take a moment to be careful when someone logs into the server.

I wouldn't have thought about that, Lev. I'll be sure to remember that next time I need to make a visit.

You go in with a large group. You setup sniper observers to watch the area from different angles. Then you setup sentries with shorter range assault rifles to watch the areas the snipers can't see. Then one guy goes in and does the looting.

As soon as an enemy is spotted (everyone who is not on your team is an enemy), you immediately mobilize the entire team to take him out. You generally try to flank because you want to be aggressive, people usually don't expect that.

Once the area is clear, you continue looting, until you are done looting or another enemy shows up.

If you go alone to the North Western Airfield, you might as well hit escape and click on respawn because you will get shot at some point. It's like gambling with your life. Same counts for Stary Sobor.

Picture Cherno.

Now picture it with wide open plains' date=' lots more zombies, and players equipped with the best weapons the game has to offer all trying to kill each other.

That's what the NW airfield is like.

[/quote']

Lovely description :P

We've scared some visitors off twice, by lobbing smoke grenades to their position, made a hasty getaway and left us in peace.

So you might get lucky and avoid a firefight, but chances are slim. So basically, expect action.

Going solo is fine; dying is part of the game.

I have yet to make it to the airfield, but if all you found was an AKM... I might just stick to deer stands.

Don't know how going to Stary solo is a death trap. I get bandit killed 1 out of ten solo visits... AND I always noisily clear it of Z's before looting.

Yes, deer stands and dead bodies put together, provides a better loot table than the Airfield.

The thing about the NW Airfield is that not only do the players there have better weapons, but they also don't want to lose those weapons.

From their point of view, the chances of someone killing them for their weapons is much higher than near the coast because most people on the coast don't have anything good.

Going solo is fine; dying is part of the game.

I have yet to make it to the airfield' date=' but if all you found was an AKM... I might just stick to deer stands.

Don't know how going to Stary solo is a death trap. I get bandit killed 1 out of ten solo visits... AND I always noisily clear it of Z's before looting.

[/quote']

Depends on how much you visit it. If you are in a group, you need to visit it often to equip people who have died. If you visit dangerous areas often, you have a high chance of getting killed.

If you die 1 out of 10 times, then that's 1 time to many. If you go in with multiple people, it's possible to minimize the dying to far less.

Winchester won't help you in the airfield :D,you need to be fully ready to go there ... i mean being a good shooter and someone who knows what to when being threatened.

Hunters there have NVGs,Long range sniper rifles (M107 and DMR) and silenced weapons.

A good hunter will shoot your leg first to force you to bandage then to use morphine which will make you immobile for a long time.

This is what i personally do,and when there is a group of players there i use grenades :D