The Killing Joke

You there. With that unfair advantage. You are CHEATING!

Oh, look. Another TKJ Sensational thread subject title!

:D

Well folks, this is serious. Every day, I see in-game chats saying, "I'm in so-and-so. I'll meet you in so-and-so." Why? Because people are playing with access to a map! It's available online at many different sources, and I've seen a bunch of posts of people who play with it on their tablet, or have it printed out.

Well, if you do that, you are cheating!

I would like to propose a very simple fix. Either make the map spawn as much as empty tin-cans seem to level the playing field, or make the map a standard in-game item you get when you wash up on shore.

There. I said it. I don't have a map. Sure, I know where to get one, but I don't go looking for it. It sure as shit would have helped me when I was walking for thirty minutes across the "Wasteland" that I understand DOES NOT END...

But I digress.

In simple terms: either you give me a map, or I point my fat finger at everybody and yell "CHEATER!!!" a whole bunch more.

I think I've made my point.

;)

Well, I'd assume the avatar in game would have some geographic knowledge of the area he's in...unless he was knocked out, blindfolded, and wakes up on the beach with no memory of what happened.

So, unless that is the case (it could be, I don't know the back-story of dayz if there is one) it makes sense for players to have a map outside of the game to represent the realism of this knowledge. Know what I mean?

Well' date=' I'd assume the avatar in game would have some geographic knowledge of the area he's in...unless he was knocked out, blindfolded, and wakes up on the beach with no memory of what happened.[/quote']

I wholeheartedly agree. If this is a "Bourne Identity" story, that's just fine with me. You can make the map easier to find, and that will suit me. I just refuse to go looking online for that fix, and prefer to find my way 'the old fashioned way'.

So' date=' unless that is the case (it could be, I don't know the back-story of dayz if there is one) it makes sense for players to have a map outside of the game to represent the realism of this knowledge. Know what I mean?[/quote']

Not really. You're CHEATING!!! /points finger (Sorry. "points fat finger")

;)

(just give me my damn map already)

Well to be honest the in game map kinda really sucks, in comparison to some of the really awesome helpful maps you can find on the interwebs, like for example http://avidblur.com/arma2/

if something as detailed and easy to read as this is added id more likely use the in game map.

i try not to use the map outside the game unless i find one in game

wah wah wah poor you.

I love my map deal with it.

Reported for cheating.

;)

(TO ALL: I did not report Officious for cheating. There's a winky. Don't get your collective panties in a bunch.)

So, in the same way its cheating to have beforehand knowledge of Chernarus because you've been playing for a year? Is it cheating to use the editor to fly around in a helicopter and see what the ridgelines look like? Is it cheating to understand using the stars for navigation, because the game doesn't tell you how, or that you can?

I don't play world of warcraft or EVE online, but i'm sure nobody is punished for using an out-of-game navigation aid. Nor, any other MMO or online game.

EVERYBODY who is playing DayZ has access to the internet, and a PC. EVERYONE can look at a map. Its only an unfair advantage because you refuse to use it.

I have an in game map, and DON'T use it. I use my steam browser to pull up a map with both the local and English names of towns.

perhaps there could be a map-lite object that spawns in houses near spawn locations - a tourist map of chernarus showing coastal walks. Include some pictures illustrating areas of natural beauty/recognisable landmarks near spawn locations. Very little information about the interior of the world, just enough to get newer players oriented

Hey Bandit Hunter, I appreciate that you edited your post. My original post was meant more of a fun request for an easier way to get the map in-game. I am in no way complaining that you are really cheating. Sure, I'm at a disadvantage, but I really (seriously!) don't mind.

I appreciate that you edited your post. My original post was meant more of a fun request for an easier way to get the map in-game. I am in no way complaining that you are really cheating. Sure' date=' I'm at a disadvantage, but I really (seriously!) don't mind.

[/quote']

I edited my post to get rid of the mean remark at the end, because on second thought it was pretty unnecessarily.

I think you should put some sort of footnote in your post saying this is a suggestion that maps should be more common. Sarcasm and such doesn't carry well over the internet.

Sarcasm and such doesn't carry well over the internet.

You speak the truth!

:D

I will however forgo your recommendation' date=' as I'm pretty sure it will ruin the immersion... After all, if [i']you read a disclaimer, would you have posted the same way? I actually enjoy the interaction, especially when people are honest and speak from the heart.

Besides, I beat the inevitable poster who actually feels the same way, and I'm able to stave off those hurt feelings before they asplode.

;)

Yeah. If people can just look at the map online then we might as well level the playing field and give it to everyone.

I have a big ol' map that I printed out on 4 sheets of paper and taped together, I also mark and label everything I come to find.

I'm a big fat cheater, or am I a survivor :o

I agree and add that anyone who can read cyrillic be banned for cheating. ;)

But seriously, so many people that play arma 2 know the map like the back of their hands. if someone is using a map they are more likely leveling the playing field. I was watching a CHKillroy vid where he was informing his party of how many enterable buildings would be in the town they were approaching and you can't get that on the map.

I started using an offline map after twice apparently leaving the game area and walking past where trees and grass spawn.

and besides living in a world with GPS and playing games that mark my location and my destination and the best route, Playing Day Z with an offline map quickly taught me a useful skill - how to read a map - once I got comfortable I put it away and had fun getting lost.

if anything I'd say give us a map and a watch at spawn and that's it, let us scavenge all else

I agree with the OP, they are like the pestilence of buff bots on Dark age of Camelot. You can gain access to it by making an extra effort outside of your in game character, to gain advantage over others that dont want to leave their in game characters.

Let everyone start with a map OR, PIECES of the map, say the small square around where you actually are, and another place nearby, you can collect new pieces of the map from rare zombies and other hidden areas. If you are lucky you can find a complete map. On death 50% of any map pieces you carry are blown away to the wind (removed from game)

Yeah. And what's this about making me look for friends so I can have a transfusion?

YOU'RE CHEATING! YOU CAN'T JUDGE ME FOR BEING A SOCIAL ABORTION, JUST GIMME MY DAMN ANTI-SOCIAL TRANSFUSIONS!