Sign in to follow this  
tom246289

Recommend PC

Can anyone recommend a decent pc that will run Arma 2 for a relatively cheap price say between £100-£300

arma2 is a beast... It rips my 6870 to shreds on ultra, however I do have two active displays, so that is a contributing factor.

You're going to need to spent atleast 200-300£ on a GPU to support "high end" settings.

Otherwise, for £300 you can build a machine that would support arma, using the older "4850" GPU that I had, it's on ebay for about £50 and runs medium->~high settings quite well considering.

I'm sorry, but for any games in the last 5 years, you're going to want more power than you can get for £300.

If that's your budget, you really need to consider buying a console. You'll get much MUCH more enjoyment for your money.

My recommendation would be to spend double that amount at a minimum if you want to go PC.

I'll edit again when I look at newegg in GBP. You guys generally get charged more than the US.

Edited by Falcrist

You wont get anything that runs arma 2 // DaZ mod smoothly for that money... It gotta be used then.

Sorry to inform you, but there are people still having a medium fps with hardware components that cost €100-300 alone

Hmm I wouldn't be to fussed about playing it on high settings just really want to play Day Z

Would something like this work on medium to low settings http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_5082wt_1056

Wut…

That computer is a workstation. I don't think anyone here is going to be able to tell you if it will run ArmA effectively. Xeons are not intended for gaming, and that GPU is trashy.

Meanwhile it looks like you could get a comfortably powerful rig with current components for like £800

By comfortable, I mean something like this:

intel I5-3570k, Radeon HD7950, 8gb of 1600mhz ram, 600w PSU, decent case/HDD/disk/motherboard

If you want to cut that down to 500-600 quid, go with a sandy bridge i3 and a radeon 7770. You can skimp a little more on the Case and motherboard, but try not to get crappy ram or PSU.

For me, I bought a good pc recently for $1000 as well as $200 for the monitor. Then, about a year later, I learned that my graphics card sucked. So, I bought a Radeon 6850 for $200 or so.

My specs:

Processor: i7 2.5 or so ghz

RAM: 16 gigs (you don't need that much)

Hard drive: 2 terribytes (you definately don't need that much)

GPU: Radeon 6850 (most important part) you don't need exactly the one I have, but just do some research and see what works for you.

Ive spent around £350 on a new motherboard, cpu and gpu and the game runs fine so you may need an extra £100/£150 for a HDD, PSU and case. I have a Gigabyte 990xa-UD3 mobo, AMD FX 4100 CPU and Asus GTX 550ti GPU with 8gb RAM.

Although i realise its not to high end equipment it plays Dayz on high setting well and never skips a beat. But building one yourself is definitely the way to go!

Just tried Arma 2 free on the laptop with all the settings on low it's playable so would Day Z work?

Just tried Arma 2 free on the laptop with all the settings on low it's playable so would Day Z work?

NO it wont arma 2 free to play has lower rez graphics, so lower demand on GPU.

He needs to spend about £600 and build his own. By the way that does not include monitor!!!

Lets be honest, you want something good? You should be spending around $900-1200 for something to run Arma 2 well.

Lets be honest, you want something good? You should be spending around $900-1200 for something to run Arma 2 well.

$900 is £600!!! <_<

I built a computer very recently for ~1100 USD (including mouse, keyboard and network adapter) and it runs ARMA 2 flawlessly. It was my first build, and I put in an i5 2500k CPU, GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 GPU and 8 GB of RAM.

Obviously, OP, that would be way out of your stated budget. But I will say that building a computer will net you more bang for your buck and it's VERY rewarding. I went in with minimal hardware knowledge and came out with a fully functioning gaming computer. It takes lots of research for a newbie, especially for just picking the parts.

In the end, I felt much closer to my computer, not to mention a sense of accomplishment. It may seem daunting at first, but you should be able to play DayZ on at least playable FPS if you put in around 500 USD. Anything less and you might as well go with console gaming. And there's nothing wrong with that, but you won't get to play ARMA ;)

if you are really looking to save a bit on parts go for the cheaper makes like AMD cpu's or pick two cheaper nvidia gpu's and sli them.