Dayzo

PvP should be linked to a kill counter

I think most players believe that killing large numbers of survivors for absolutely no reason spoils the spirit of game.

Of course there are legitimate reasons for PvP kills, but in a 'normal' game of survival, there are sensible boundaries

as to the number of survivors you need to kill, and I think most people would like to see those boundaries enforced.

So my suggestion is to link PvP killing with an exponential 'kill counter'. For example:

kills points

01 = 10

02 = 20

03 = 40

04 = 80

05 = 160

06 = 320

07 = 640

08 = 1280

09 = 2560

10 = 5120

· When your kill count reaches a certain level (Eg 10,000), your character is killed.

· After a kill, your counter starts slowly returning to zero.

· When it reaches zero, your kill count is also reset to zero.

· If you make another kill whilst your counter is not zero, then you are attributed another kill, and have the appropriate points added to the counter.

So, imagine the automatic decrement of points is set to 1 point per minute:

kills time to reset kill count

01 = 10.0 min

02 = 30.0 min (10+20)

03 = 01.2 hrs (10+20+40)

04 = 02.5 hrs (10+20+40+80)

05 = 05.2 hrs (10+20+40+80+160)

06 = 10.5 hrs (10+20+40+80+160+320)

etc

So you could still comfortably kill 3 people in an hour, and you'd just simply need to avoid killing other players for an hour or so afterwards

to prevent incurring further point penalties. But if your emphasis is on just killing instead of playing the game of survival as it was intended,

you'd find it more and more difficult to reset your kill counter as you continued your spree, and soon enough your character would be reset

(and automatically kick-banned from the server!?).

Maybe this 'kill count' could be an option for servers to set or not, so that PvP games could exist as an admin choice.

Edited by Anti

No. Sometimes people kill in self-defense and you can't know what is defense and what is banditry

It's better than what's being proposed by the mod creator, which is an indicator hovering above those with a high kill count.

My suggested kill counter would be private - you'd still have no idea when you met someone if they intended to kill you or not.

It would hopefully just make the person think twice about it, if they'd already made several kills in the last couple of hours.

And hopefully it would take the enjoyment out of sniping respawns, if you got kicked from the server and had to start again

quite frequently.

Sometimes people kill in self-defense and you can't know what is defense and what is banditry

That's why the scale is exponential. It doesn't harm you if you are keeping your kills to reasonable levels.

But it punishes those whose game-style is focused on PvP.

And as I said, it could be a server config choice so you could have PvP servers and survival servers.

Edited by Anti

It's better than what's being proposed by the mod creator, which is an indicator hovering above those with a high kill count.

REALLY?

Link please,

If this is true Rocket ain't the genius hes been lauded as at all.

Edited by Never

sounds like someone is angry they keep getting killed.

Instead of trying to have other players who are obviously better at surviving killed, why don't you just learn to survive?

Lol at people who say DayZ is dead far from it.

Fuck, Bandits are A PART OF THE GAME so why don't we just kill survivors if they don't kill people?

People like you annoy me, and I'm not even a bandit.

Edited by *Regulator*Outypoo
  • Like 1

Link please,

Apologies, it's not hovering - it's a change of head skin (a ghutrah head scarf)

People like you annoy me, and I'm not even a bandit.

I'm not saying that you don't need to steal loot and kill people. But it does need to be brought down to sensible levels,

and players need some reason to at least think twice about it before they attack others. Or at least allow a server

distinction between those who prefer a PvP focus and those that prefer a survival/co-op focus.

I think there is a fair consensus on the forums that 'Shoot On Sight' is a problem, and that it's spoiling the game in some respects.

Edited by Anti

This is a very cleverly-formed, stupid idea: I thought Day Z was about authenticity, and dying because you killed a group of people in quick succession doesn't sound authentic to me. There are major flaws with this idea, it forces rather than encourages less player-killing and it punishes those who are forced to murder by circumstance.

I'll have to watch that video you posted. I cringe at the thought of what you say he's implementing, it seems like the more attention Day Z gets the more Rocket is drifting away from what he wanted to create. I don't know exactly what that is of course but from his mantras of "authenticity" and "imbalance" some of the things he's been suggesting lately don't match up.

It makes me sad to see a lot of 'please dont kill me' threads on the forums.

Hovewer, there IS a way to fix that.

You need to make ammo _extremely_ rare, and remove all the ways to duplicate magazines (or refill on logout/login).

What is _extremely_ rare? For example, remember, how much of NVG or Ghillie you've found over all the time you've played (not counting finding 20 of duplicated NVGs in the camp outside the map). And now let's say that each time you've found NVG, you'd find 3-7 bullets for 1911. That'd be more realistic (i don't know how much weapons are in use in America, but in eastern europe you won't find 2x1911 +3xPM +20magazines to them over an 4-hour walk.

You won't spend ammo you was gathering for a week 'for lulz'. Hovewer, it's possible that people will start hunting other people for ammo.

But i am sure - no one will kill you from a 300 meters with 1911. And if 1911 shots are that rare, i doubt there will be more than 30 shots (not hits) from snipers over a week.

BUT.

it would be way too boring. It's not the idea for DayZ. Maybe it'll fit into some Post apocalyptic MMO in the future, where the world will be almost, at least, the Europe's size. So you will have to spend a month of playtime to get to the other side of a map.

Edited by Dantrag

I wasn't aware he was being lauded as a genius, just a guy who wanted to make a real game that doesn't pander to the player's ego like so many audio-visual masturbatory aids that we insist on calling "games".

• Like 1

This mod isn't realistic to begin with

oh really now?

I thought Day Z was about authenticity, and dying because you killed a group of people in quick succession doesn't sound authentic to me

I would think that keeping PvP levels lower is more authentic, because in real life people would have conscience, guilt and morals, which isn't modelled in the game.

People who are mass murderers in the game would, in the main, NOT behave that way in real life.

Anyway, why not let the server admins decide whether they want to keep PvP down to sensible levels, or whether they will let people shoot on sight? What's so

stupid about choice? I know I have a definite preference.

Edited by Anti

You didn't even watch the video, don't blurt out bullshit misinformation.

A bandit indicator was around before you even started playing Day Z, babby, and after it was taken out people bitched to no fucking end about it.

All it is is a fucking head scarf for BANDITS, not a "hovering indicator" for people with a "high kill count".

NONE OF WHAT YOU SAID WAS TRUE.

While I understand the reasoning behind OP's post, I dont think his solution would be good for the game.

Anyway no hate towards OP, this is suggestion forum after all.

I wasn't aware he was being lauded as a genius, just a guy who wanted to make a real game that doesn't pander to the player's ego like so many audio-visual masturbatory aids that we insist on calling "games".

Actually it panders to the ego of players that dupe and use the long-range and cheap masturbatory aids that we insist on calling "Sniper Rifles".

Edited by necroslord

What if you end up in a large firefight? You're killing for self defence but the sheer amount of people would mean you die because of the mystical PvP god.

And what if I'm a bandit? I want to kill as many people as possible... Why is that a bad thing?

Chill dude - it was a misunderstanding, because the guy used the word 'indicator' rather than skin, and I already apologised for it above.

An exponential kill counter is still better than putting a fucking turban on players.

BTW, do you know how 'bandit' is defined in the game?

What turns you into a 'bandit' exactly?

What if you end up in a large firefight? You're killing for self defence but the sheer amount of people would mean you die because of the mystical PvP god.

Because you're not focused on killing again and again and again, you just go back to looting and building a base for a couple of hours to recover from the fire fight.

The survivors of the firefight that go straight into looking around for more PvP will be creeping further toward the demise of their character.

And what if I'm a bandit? I want to kill as many people as possible... Why is that a bad thing?

Just going around a map excessively killing everyone you meet for no reason whatsoever is what needs to be controlled.

So sure, be a 'bandit' (ie. a loot stealer), but moderate it and think twice about how many people you kill.

For instance, it might not be worth the penalty to kill the newly spawned player, so you might decide to wait for someone who has more gear instead.