Sign in to follow this  
Slyguy65

So i went around trying to communicate with people

since you know this is a multiplayer experience right.

I got shot without any replies of any form....about 10 times

Someone please tell me how this is not just a walking simulator...with random NPC's with guns and annoying NPC's that glitch and melee...

Seriously.

• Like 2

I am less likely to shoot someone if they communicate with me.

Being the fact that if they know I am there and they start talking to me it is more likely if they wanted to kill me I would have been dead.

Another tip would be to have the upper hand and choose to not harm a person, or even offer up a gun to the unarmed. It's a gamble, but you're either getting shot or a new companion.

Trust no one. I know meeting someone up in the wild lands of Chernarus is exciting, but mostly are paranoid, have firearms and enough will to kill you. Not to say you should be paranoid as well but strangers walking around with weapons aren't usually a good sign of peace treaty. My best bet is stay away from people, unless you have the means to engage and if you really want to meet up with new companions, go look in the Survivor HQ.

I've had many occasions where I've had a bead on someone's face, and asked friendly? Never a single response, only bullets thrown my way. Each and every single time someone's gotten shot in the face for absolutely no reason at all.

I prefer not to shoot first, yet it's gotten me killed on god knows how many occasions.

Let them initiate. It gives you more control over the situation, and the people who shoot first will shoot first, while the people who want to group up with you will ask "Friendly?"

I've tried communication myself.

Never works from what I have seen.

I saw someone the other day.

I shot them.. they yelled, "FRIENDLY!"

as I rounded a corner to finish them off. my Lee pointed at their skull.

I stopped... thought and turned away and left them alone as they bandaged and moved on to loot.

I even was looting beside them for a short bit before I moved on.

I know though Karma will not be returned.

Because so far... I've been the one to spare others, not vice-versa.

It's kinda sad if you ask me. Especially when I tried and never got anywhere...

So I gave up.

Now I shoot if I see someone.

If I hear the words "Friendly"

I will stop... but my sight will stay on them until I am sure.

Then I move on.

Maybe one day I'll find others I can play with and trust...

Doubt it.

TBH i think the reason there is literally zero communication is because the direct chat is just fucked up...9/10 times i ask someone in steam, skype, Teamspeak. If they heard what i just said in direct chat they all say no...

They should fix Direct chat, and zombie physics ASAP IMO

Not cater to the whining PVP people who want DC'ing fixed first...that is not a game breaking problem the other two are...shit

Communication gives away your presence and sometimes your position, allowing other people to have an easier time getting the jump on you.

Use mic only if you plan on 1) tricking someone not to kill you; 2) soundboard trolling.

Most people KOS (kill on sight) and don't even respond before shooting you. But, it is suspicious that out of 10 people, not 1 responded over Direct Communication? That can't be right.

If I had to guess, you're probably experiencing the same problem I did.... Little did I know, I was NEVER actually transmitting (thus I was always ignored and killed).

Here's the reason/solution: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/64413-a-public-service-announcement/

Well in a written post you come across as a bit of a douchebag, so I presume you probably sound like a douchebag in game as well.

• Like 1

Well in a written post you come across as a bit of a douchebag, so I presume you probably sound like a douchebag in game as well.

Who are you referring to? Also, what gives you evidence to support your synopsis that anyone in this thread is a 'douche bag'? Judging someone's character through written text is near impossible unless you work for the Behavior Analysis Unit in the FBI.

• Like 1

I ONLY ask people if they're friendly if they haven't seen me first and I can make it obvious that I'm choosing NOT to kill them. A lot of people will salute and sit down when they don't want to look like a threat. I have met up with roughly 5 people like this. Others will just keep running, or go prone and start hunting for me without saying or doing anything deferential... That's when I either go the other way or take them out. :)

I should mention that it is VERY IMPORTANT to switch your chat channel to direct communication. Otherwise there isn't a good chance you're going to see what people like me type and you're going to die more often.

Edited by sudZ!

Ever considered the possibility that if they don't respond they might not have heard you or maybe they even speak a different language? The alternative to shoot on sight isn't to prance around in front of someone else's gun swinging daisy chains, you still have to keep yourself safe, stay in cover, demand that they don't point their gun in your direction, think about how you're approaching people and what exactly you want to achieve by it.

You also have to think about how you appear to the other person, bounding out of cover yelling "hey" waving a high powered assualt rifle around is enough to spook even the most passive of players into panic shooting. Don't expose yourself or put yourself in danger just to talk to another player, don't expect everyone to want to buddy up and cetainly don't drop your guard for a second.

--------

The other day I was playing with two other friends on a night time server (mmmm full moon!) when a large truck started chasing us through the woods, horn booming, dust flying, it spooked us and we opened fire on the wheels but in the end it turned out to be a friendly German who just wanted to offer lifts. He got out of the cab and we apologised for shooting, he warned us about a dangerous looking player hiding in the factory down the road (another one of our clan), we declined a ride to the closest town and bid him farewell and went in opposite directions.

Who are you referring to? Also, what gives you evidence to support your synopsis that anyone in this thread is a 'douche bag'? Judging someone's character through written text is near impossible unless you work for the Behavior Analysis Unit in the FBI.

Well I was referring to the OP but seeing how you pooped all over my shitty joke I guess it works for you as well.

Just walking around people and saying something doesn't mean you couldn't potentially be a bandit ready to steal from there pack while there turned. Unless your on TS/Skype/Vent etc. then people are obviously not going to trust you, funny experiment but the endings could be seen without trying. Zombies and loot are easy to come by so to keep things interesting most kill on sight if they don't know the person in some way, so getting killed by them over and over makes perfect sense to me.

Well I was referring to the OP but seeing how you pooped all over my shitty joke I guess it works for you as well.

lol that's how I roll xox <3

It is extremely situational with me. If i am online with my 2-4 buddies we will kill anyone we come across because normally at least one of us is rolling around with some decent gear. That means we have alot to lose and if he goes down chances are we will all end up going down due to being under armed. This changes as we die and such the game gear can change hands multiple times so a new guy becomes our "best armed" unless we all get wiped out which is rare meaning we dont need anyone else and another person we dont know is just a risk to what we have collected.

However if i am playing by myself I will watch people from afar and see how they are playing. Pretty easy to tell if someone is going to be aggressive or not depending on how they get around town. 9/10 if i get shot at its by someone who was running at full speed around town and just uses buildings to get away from zeds. The guys who are friendly are the ones sneaking about trying to not draw much attention.

If they get the drop on me im forced to make a decision pretty quick. If i am using low end gear I will be more friendly. If i have a good weapon/pack and well supplied in food and ammo im far more likely to just cut someone down simply because the benefits probably dont out weigh the risks of having the person around.

Some of the best experiences in this game so far is when I have met up with another fresh spawn by accident and neither of us are armed so we end up rolling around together for awhile. It can get tense once we both have weapons but I have yet to be betrayed by someone whom i met up with when we were both unarmed.

Also just another tip if you play on high population servers your way more likely to just get blown down... if you play on low population servers i have ran into way more friendlies on low pop.

What happened to you as a child that made you think people are good?

Get real, you learned a lesson.

Now go find some new gear and kick some ass.

What happened to you as a child that made you think people are good?

"Men are cruel, but man is kind"

-Rabindranath Tagore

What server? was it a recruit one or veteran? or even regular? I find If I want to team up I use recruit, I run around with high end gear due to my camp destroying and give the gear to new players on the coast, who are willing to go to areas anew, Unless they are meeting up wih others.

I have a mic, but use Keyboard sometimes when they don't have one. there is no feeling like running around with 5 or more, DayZ goes to a new level!

But jump out or take a shot and You will get some in return. In the North people are too atached to their gear to ask "friendly" You'll find they shoot either way out of fear.

I suppose the best way is to join a clan.

It is extremely situational with me. If i am online with my 2-4 buddies we will kill anyone we come across because normally at least one of us is rolling around with some decent gear. That means we have alot to lose and if he goes down chances are we will all end up going down due to being under armed. This changes as we die and such the game gear can change hands multiple times so a new guy becomes our "best armed" unless we all get wiped out which is rare meaning we dont need anyone else and another person we dont know is just a risk to what we have collected.

In my group im the only one who tries to communicate before shooting. Cause of me friendly players got away alive before my team mates decide to pull the triggers. I have to admit that most occasions i urge the players to get out of the area before someone changes their mind and pumps their bodies full of lead. We are rarely lightly geared even when we enter the big populated city's. Maybe having a M249 aimed at their torso makes them turn around and think twice, but who knows.

However if i am playing by myself I will watch people from afar and see how they are playing. Pretty easy to tell if someone is going to be aggressive or not depending on how they get around town. 9/10 if i get shot at its by someone who was running at full speed around town and just uses buildings to get away from zeds. The guys who are friendly are the ones sneaking about trying to not draw much attention.

Usually i am 1 of those people running from building to building. I have yet to shoot before someone shoots at me and most of the time i have an overwatch somewhere to help me if needed.

If they get the drop on me im forced to make a decision pretty quick. If i am using low end gear I will be more friendly. If i have a good weapon/pack and well supplied in food and ammo im far more likely to just cut someone down simply because the benefits probably dont out weigh the risks of having the person around.

Again its probably just my nature to ask question first before shooting. Will always do so and it has only gotten me killed once whether im alone or not.

Some of the best experiences in this game so far is when I have met up with another fresh spawn by accident and neither of us are armed so we end up rolling around together for awhile. It can get tense once we both have weapons but I have yet to be betrayed by someone whom i met up with when we were both unarmed.

I have had the backstabbing bullshit that happens once before over that 1 bandage and pack of painkillers i had when i respawned. Thanks to that guy i respawned in elektro. Didnt have to walk al the way from kamenka. I do know that player is just a jack ass for doing so.

Also just another tip if you play on high population servers your way more likely to just get blown down... if you play on low population servers i have ran into way more friendlies on low pop.

I do agree with this. On the server i play there are usually like 15 players online. Almost non of them shoot on sight. There is an occasional bandit around wich i havent run into yet but i have seen some signs. Maybe low populated server atract different style of players and not the hardcore PvPers. Less targets is probably too boring for them to play.