Rick Grimer

Too many Guns.

Broader range of military weapons dropping countered by the removal of ammo crates. Ammo conversion should require empty clips where needed.

I like this, but maybe we can see a broader range of civilian weapons rather then military. I had the empty clip idea myself, it makes a lot of sense and adds to realism.

• Like 1

it's due to the lack of buildings..in a town like elektro you can enter the 10%(maybe) and there aren't police stations or firing ranges..

so they lowed to make you find weapons almost everywhere.and sometimes it's the spawning..you can find 3-4 spots without guns and then 3 1911 in the same house. they should limit the number of weapons which can spawn at the same time, but then if you are frsh respawned on a high pop server you risk to find anything. and i think that if dayz was in europe you'd find only hunting rifles

I can count 4 pistols, one sniper, 3 rifles and, a shotgun that I can see in my room right now. So it is realistic, after a ZDay type event the miliary would have deployed and people would have stocked up on what they could even in Europe (Where farmers and such can own rifles and shotguns with restrictions).

Plus what people forget is thne backstory of where we are in DayZ. It takes place in Russia yes, but its after the US had invaded and there was open conflict, hence all the guns.

Personally I would like to see alot more guns since arma has so many and they have so many attachments that can be addded as well, but I do agree that the heavy stuff needs to be Rarer(Though if you notice in game you only find shotguns and Rifles in small towns(even thoiugh it should be a Mosin Nagant not a Einfield.) and the heavy stuff at crashed and military)

I think they need to work in some mechanic so the guns degrade thus rendering them useless at some point if. I don't think it has to be too technical, maybe something like fallout, but the way it is now guns, high powered ones at that, are way to abundant.

I mean we can all put together scenarios as to how and why guns should be present, IE the guys saying "I got 3 guns in my room now", thats great, but those 3 guns wont magically re-appear when your house is raided, or when you leave your property. Having those 3 guns on the onset isn't the issue, having them re-appear is. I am not saying don't spawn weapons, but there needs to be some worth and value in the weapons. They need to do something that takes guns out of the cycle.

I can count 4 pistols, one sniper, 3 rifles and, a shotgun that I can see in my room right now. So it is realistic
It's your dime, but I hardly think that is an accurate portrayal of every house in America, let alone Europe. On a side note, what the fuck could you possibly need all those guns for? In Florida of all places.
  • Like 1

There we come to another Idea of mine. I thought about consistent servers. Servers where Zombies dont respawn, though there should be more of'em and Weapons dont respawn. So youd actually have to kill somebody with a gun if you cant find one. They should start at a certain time, so everybody knows "Ok the Server starts today at 4 p.m." then the players could join it and when its started you cant enter it anymore, if you werent in it from the beginning on. On the other hand things like Matches, Lighters, Maps etc should be REALLY common. I mean every household has lighters, a map, a knife and so on. so that all should be really easy to acquire.

you want realism, all people in here will die if zombies are real, things like that would be planing before it happened, after that you would need to train on all survival skills, after that you would still panic in the midst of all the chaos that would ensue in a huge catasthrophre, if you knew what to do you would leave everyone behind and go to a deserted place in which you can live by yourself, or with a group that also was a nutjob like you and didnt waste time clinging to old civilized or city stuff bullshit.

you would just die, like me, thats reality

I dont know the lore and background of Chernarus but I think that doesnt matter.

The background of Chernarus is right in front of you, play the actual Arma 2 campaign and not the dayz mod and it's right there.

It's your dime, but I hardly think that is an accurate portrayal of every house in America, let alone Europe. On a side note, what the fuck could you possibly need all those guns for? In Florida of all places.

Not an average portrayal but fairly common actually.

Currently in the same room I am.(but in a safe)

7154583947_9ee3b6815a_z.jpg

7411613600_fdf986feeb.jpg

PineScentX

Loading a fine pistol like the HK USP with cheapass weak walmart ammo makes me sad.

HK recommends Fiocchi, SellierBellot, Lapua, Norma...

• Like 1

When the people rebel against the government and other countries invade I assume there would be guns everywhere.

Just sayin'...

The base game and the entire engine is built around guns, and the few melee weapons in Day Z are pretty much coded as very short range and slow-firing guns that have an animation tossed in.

And I would assume that in a situation like such, even in countries like the UK, Australia, Germany, there would be a massive military mobilization in the case of a zombie infestation. Prior to the advance of the infection there will be military troops everywhere, and the supply convoys that follow. Civilians would most certainly be looking for weapons and supplies from all sources, be them old and outdated firearms, bladed weapons, also firearms purchased from stores. When the infected attack, military posts would be overrun, small villages and communities which would certainly have some sort of game-hunting beforehand would be engulfed. After the initial attack you will have destroyed military bases, towns that were recently ravaged, the occupants readied for the attack or not, which would leave a sizable pool of weapons of all makes and models, from military firearms to civilian rifles and shotguns to pistols and machetes. After this happens survivors will undoubtedly leech some of the weapons and ammunition off of their dead ex-humans to use for themselves, which puts the weapons in a new circulation of survivors who die and scavenge for them. It doesn't matter if the weapons are under lock and key, if you have a police force or a military, or the odd farmer or hunter that enjoy shooting game, you have weapons that will be circulated in an apocalypse situation. All of this is hypothetical of course, but it is my best bet of what would happen.

@KlausB

Ammo is expensive now, even the cheap ammo is being bought in bulk because of this. I would take cheap ammo over no ammo.

Edited by Riemer

OK, so right now there are practically no automatic weapons in Germany or any other major European state (bar Switzerland) outside of military bases. However, in those military bases there will be tens of thousands of automatic rifles.

Enter the zombie apocalypse.

2 weeks later those ~ 30,000 automatic rifles are spread all over Germany. Just like the soldier corpses.

You are right there. But Ammo would be MUCH rarer. And the Weapons wouldnt magically respawn. I'd love to see a set number of guns.

• Like 1

Hi there,

First of all: I live in Berlin, Germany. This is very important for understanding my concerns.

When I see games like this and Zombie Movies, I always think: "Where do all those guns come from?" Not the whole world is like Nebraska. A Zombie Movie that takes place in Germany would be like a medieval battle. Finding a gun here, and I think in many other parts of the World is not like going into a fire station and you find a M4. Seriously, wtf. Why would there be military stuff in a Firestation? Finding a Gun and Ammo would be like christmas, birthday, Easter and E3 all in one. The only Place where you can find such Guns are Military Bases, Police Stations and maybe firing ranges. But the guns are always locked in a safe. Sure some would lie around because people try to defend but not in that extend. Oh and Automatic Weapons in Germany are like Non-Bandits in DayZ, there are almost none.

I dont know the lore and background of Chernarus but I think that doesnt matter, it could be called everything. Noone cares for the background of it.

So I think the game would be much more intensive with less guns, I mean really LESS guns. Maybe some pistols and old hunting rifles. Second, less ammo. Sure the guns would lie around because, lets say, a policeman tried to defend himself, got overrun, dropped the gun. But there would be only one magazin in it. I think you get my point. It would reduce banditry because people would really be carefull with their ammo and not everyone would have a gun, almost no one would have one. A bit more like "I am alive" the game. Guns and ammo were really rare there. It would also help having respect of zombies because by now they are no danger, just run into a house. But when you just have a hatchet or a Baseballbat you would watch your ass and it would be harder to kill another player because you have to sneak up to him and crack his bones.

Long story short: Less guns and ammo, please. Make it more like survival and not like Holidays in Texas.

completely agree

I propose more zombies, slow and fast.

Its too easy to find weapons, ammo too

I want a game of survival, not a game like ARMA II

with a multitude of weapons is too easy and promotes the bandits

This would be good, if it's done right. At the moment, with item duping being a real problem, I can't help but think that a complete hive reset and a proper fix of item duping would be needed before reducing weapon spawns would affect gameplay.

A total decrease in spawn rates would make sense, since the original survivors not able to find their own weapon would pick up abandoned military ones, making those rarer as well.

Even if you ignore the ArmA 2 base campaign, just imagine for a moment..

Chernarus is a destabilized, eastern european post-soviet country that was hit by a sudden outbreak of Zombiecalypse with literally thousands of dead soldiers, crashed military force recon/assault helicopters from the UN(hence the european weaponry) military vehicles(destroyed HMMWV's everywhere), outposts(Military emergency base near fucking balota), bases and airfields all over the place because obviously the world tried to fight the outbreak with anything they had."

so yeah, finding military weapons would be absolutely unrealistic!

geez..I really cant see where the problem is; just look at *every* movie with a dangerous global virus outbreak/alien attack/supernatural danger. What is the first thing getting shipped there? Legions of soldiers armed to the tits to "suppress" the threat.

Looking beyond established fiction, in a world..

- where people fire mortars over walls at their neighbours because they have different beliefs

- where children are armed and trained to kill for their stupid leaders deranged ideals

-where nuclear weapons of mass destructions are built to threaten someone else to not annihilate oneself with nuclear weapons of mass destruction

do you really think there would NOT be a massive pooling of weaponry in places hit by a Zombie Outbreak threatening all of mankind?

ps: rethorical question

• Like 1

Actually, this would ENCOURAGE bandits to kill, on the off chance someone found a few mags and a gun. Bandits have grown smarter. They wait until the person is dicking around in their bags and then BANG they are there hacking them to bits with a hatchet. It happens too often as it is, please don't start it up more.

Edited by calkhi

Gun rarity needs another cross check when spawning.

Firstly, not only does it has a % to spawn, it runs a script to check the list of total items spawned in the area so you don't have two double barrel shotguns or two hatchet spawning.

A script that prevents weapon spawn per location to ONE would be handy.

So at a firestation, 1 weapon can spawn within a building. Period.

But you can collect ammo for other gun.

Once you set this check up, increase gun spawn in other locations by a small increase.

Put a 'max guns' found in a general area, like a city, to 7 total, each time it respawns.

This means:

1 Building = 0~1 gun

1 City = 0~7 guns

Because it's post-apocalypse, lower quantity of guns is possible so you can add filters to slow down gun spawns to a maximum amount.

Edited by dra6o0n

some elements you just gotta break for the game's sake. yes you are very true even here in the states while guns ARE more common im not going to find an ak-47 in a deerstand in the woods outside of my house. But for the sake of the game if you condensed the guns down to very specific spawns it would be neigh impossible for most people to get one to begin with. If all you could find a gun at was say a station in game then basically the first person there upon server restart becomes the god of that area as he would have it on total lock down. Someone would have to travel to a completely different town and hope nobody was already "the god" of that area as well.

The way it stands now.. yea electro can be camped to hell and back but if you go out into the wilds surrounding that place you will find a few deerstands as well as a few other places that give you enough firepower to stand a chance against the high grade weapon spawns.

While I understand what your saying. . There is so many destoryed humvees there (isn't there at least 2 in every town? I have to ask how common are those in the EU?) With in reason, they are a mainstay of the military and with the amount found I would almost think there was more than a division of solders within chernarus. So to me it wouldn't be too shocking to see a ton of more likely empty firearms just laying about on the ground. Maybe ammo would be a bit rarer in some areas, but more likely a clip or two found on a zombie solder or cop would be the norm. Maybe even on occausion one zombie solder / cop 'might' have a pistol in a holster.

It also wouldn't be too far fetched to say that as the plague spread and despriation grew the government might issue a few older guns to the citizenery and ad hoc them in to defense roles against the undead. And I highly doubt the gov't wouldn't issue guns to their troops or officers as things became more despirate, so those safes would probabily be totally empty. And the citizenry very well could have rebelled a bit and raided a few of those armories as well.

While wandering about Chernarus too, the way everthing is set it appeared there was no apparent fleeing but more like a 'bunker' in and attempt to shelter mentality. I say this because the road out of towns don't seem to show much broken down traffic, nor are their pileups at the gas stations. So again I would venture to say that it wouldn't be too far fetched to see at least a few firearms lying about most towns. Chernarus dose seem to lack police stations or even some kind of jail so I can more or less understand why some of the guns would spawn at a firestation. And I don't recall Arma 2 having firetrucks unless someone modded one. So yea while there are things that are off, there are things that are not too.

Too me I guess if they were to reduce the amount of firearms then there would have to be other melee type weapons available for use. This brings up another point, wouldn't there be even more bicycles, motorcycles, even tractors in the fields? Wouldn't they be common even in a destroyed form?

Wouldn't there be a sort of areas even with in parts of the larger cities where the dwindling population would try to fortress themselves in? The cities seemed awfully open and I suspect a unarmed populace would even be more disparate to do so and finding ways of keeping outsiders out.

Though not much about DayZ's story has been released, it's safe to assume that the story takes place in Chernarus as Chernarus is. Chernarus is small post-soviet union nation with a largely rural community and many hunters. It is also a nation ravaged by intense civil war, fought by civilian militias. Everyone's got a bloody gun. Whether it be a double barrel, a Makarov or an AKM. I do agree that it doesn't make sense that there's military gear in fire stations, but there are no police stations in Chernarus. The fire stations could have doubled for police stations. There are police zombies in DayZ but no police stations. It's also possible that the military seized control of fire departments when the Infection began as a base of operations to try containing the infection.