Sign in to follow this  
bayers

Comparison with COD

@Grey508

Your definition of quality is flawed.. COD has much less glitches, is more optimized etc.. I'm not saying I prefer COD to Arma II whatsoever, I actually am not a fan of COD.. But obviously the majority of people seem to like COD.. And I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of people still playing COD 2 last time I checked.. How old is that game again? Without a doubt, the majority of people are going to continue with the series they love, just like original flashpoint players are playing Arma II , many original COD players are no doubt playing MW3.. And while it is a few years older than Arma, It still generates a larger playerbase.

Alright Bayers outta be trolling, gonna stop posting now..

And you just validated my point about snobbery -perfectly-

Because my taste and opinion differs' date=' I am immediatlly reviled as stupid and ignorant. [/quote']

Well yeah. If you play/used to play a lot of COD and find a film that tops the lists of greatest ever film for the past 50 years boring, then you are not putting yourself up there with the big thinkers, so to speak.

You really have no idea :rolleyes:

Sorry Grey, can't be bothered reading your post, not your fault but Bayers lack of sense has numbed my interest in continuing the debate.

Pig headed ignorance is a wonderful trait.

I agree completely. COD is obviously doing SOMETHING right.. The franchise would not have continued this far if that wasn't the case..

It's called "catering to the lowest common denominator." There is no correlation between quality and popularity. The Billboard Top 40 and NYT Best Sellers list are ample proof of that.

I don't think I could disagree more with what you just posted.. Especially with the Billboard reference.. I as well as (apparently..) millions of other seem to see some quality in the songs.. I'd have to go with the majority in most cases' date=' US politics... nottttt so much but your comment was (I hope) written with little effort because you must have one shitty attitude if you cannot recognize something dangling this close in front of you..

Good day sir.

[/quote']

So, you don't think the music industry (of which I am a member) is catering to the masses *because* so many people buy what they are selling? All righty then.

My comment was written with the utmost sincerity and intimate knowledge of the subject matter. Now, go buy more bad music so I can buy another car.

Also don't understand this Call of Duty thing. Is it something from the Arma Community? Or is it DayZ exclusive? Or more an American thing?

I don't get it.

Personally I don't like CoD (player MW1 a bit) and I don't like ArmA. :D This Military Games are not for me.

I'm more the Sandbox Player (Meridian59, UO, Darkfall, old SWG and Fallen Earth) and Oldschool Shooter Boy ( Q3A) but I'll kill you anyway without beeing a CoD Kiddie..

Sorry Grey' date=' can't be bothered reading your post, not your fault but Bayers lack of sense has numbed my interest in continuing the debate.

[/quote']

Aww, man. It was a good one.

Quality in the entertainment world' date=' be it books, games, movies etc is entirely subjective to ones own opinions. Some people think Citizen Kane is the best film ever made, I think its boring as shit. Everyone has their own tastes, and if a company manages to make something massivly popular its not just the "Lowest denominator" (nice little thinly veiled insult), it's a case of making something popular and of good quality to a large spread of people. Good quality because people are demanding, not because they are stupid enough to accept sub-standard.

Agreed with the whole post, but I especially agree with the part regarding Citizen Kane. A buddy of mine told me I HAD to watch it because it was one of the greatest movies of all time...and I did...for roughly thirty minutes. For it's time I'm sure it was amazing, but so was the toaster when it first came out.

Last post on this thread.

@Grey508

So every song on the top 40 list is not of quality, according to you. I seem to see great diversity among the charts.. Cmon, man... (TSN reference there) Your head is too thick, this axe will not work.. Sigh.

Last post on this thread.

@Grey508

So every song on the top 40 list is not of quality' date=' according to you. I seem to see great diversity among the charts.. Cmon, man... (TSN reference there) Your head is too thick, this axe will not work.. Sigh.

[/quote']

Since we're leaning on insults, yes - the Top 40 is rife with absolute garbage and you have terrible taste in music. May God have mercy on your soul.

DayZ and ArmA franchise can't be compared to the COD series and vise-versa. On one hand, you got a huge open world, mod support and more realism, while on the other hand you got a small corridor type of shooter, small maps and as far as I am aware, little to no mod support.

Each franchise appeals to different type of gamers.

I like the freedom that ArmA and DayZ offers and feel that the COD series has gone into a copy/paste spiral, same stuff, different wrappings.

I understand that people might have some strong opinions about both, but let's stay on topic without getting personal. :)

For it's time I'm sure it was amazing' date=' but so was the toaster when it first came out.

[/quote']

I hit on this earlier, but you are essentially correct. It was ground-breaking at the time, but to watch it now in the context of today's films can be an underwhelming experience.

Yes, I completely agree. I read through several threads and all I can see is how people try and compare a mod of ARMA 2 to Call of Duty... There is a reason I prefer ARMA over Call of Duty, and that's that I can actually use military training within a shooter. Try using military training in Call of Duty, a majority of the time it will not work.

As well I notice that many still do not take into account that this is a mod in ALPHA stages. I for one respect the dev completely because he released an ALPHA to the public. And that is risky just because there are players that look to hurt the work of others rather then help.

Edit: I would also like to add that ARMA is not a game that gets released every fucking year, this is a game that has been out since 2009 and is making money because the developers give players the ability to do stuff like DayZ. So overall before you even think about saying anything relative to Call of Duty you should rethink it.

Side note, I did not read this entire thread as I already agree with OP, so if anything I say was repeated I apologize.

All this is highly subjective and you should all feel bad for getting worked up over it.

"CoD" is generally considered a dirty word in the gaming world.

I place the blame solely on Bobby Kottick and the shift from gamer satisfaction to investor satisfaction...CoD4 was an amazing game

Myslef and a lot of others find COD incredibly derivative and money grabbing. It's so much that the game exists it's just that it's succses means it will be emulaited and force development of future games down a path a lot of people dispise.

For some one who hasn't played COD you sure seem to know a lot about how it plays...

Ive played CSS. I assume they are the same type of games' date=' eh

[/quote']

Please don't compare COD to counterstrike. COD is, and always has been shit after the first two World War II themed Call of Duty games.

Please don't compare COD to counterstrike. COD is' date=' and always has been shit after the first two World War II themed Call of Duty games.

[/quote']

Fair enough. But wouldnt you agree that both games pale in comparison to Arma, eh?

I agree completely. COD is obviously doing SOMETHING right.. The franchise would not have continued this far if that wasn't the case..

It's called "catering to the lowest common denominator." There is no correlation between quality and popularity. The Billboard Top 40 and NYT Best Sellers list are ample proof of that.

and its also called marketing, if the game is so damned good why does it need the biggest marketing campaign of all games?

I used to play COD, but I've been stuck on ArmA II for about a year now.......... like really stuck, it's the only game I've cared to play.

I build missions and all that cause I like the freedom it brings. I even play with a large group on a regular basis and we've been doing so for about a year.

Now, I also shoot everything that moves that I don't know. I don't view ArmA as anything near COD because it's slow and methodical and pot shots can get you killed so I make my bullets count. I shoot on sight because I've been shot in the back, betrayed, had my shit stolen, sniped, and everything else from a PVP aspect BY SURVIVORS. Seriously, I've been shot by 3 bandits and one of those was a mutual kill. Survivors shooting at me? Killing me? Please, I've lost count.

COD is a fun game in it's own right, it's just not for me anymore. There are no perks in ArmA, there are no unlucks and wasting ammo or taking low percentage shots is not advised.

Besides in deathmatch in COD I've shot thousands of people, usually between 20-30 a match. I think I've shot like 10 people in Day Z over a period of like 40 hours. That stat right there means a world of difference.

Dont' wanna die? Go to Berezino. Too far? Then die on the beach or in Cherno or Elektro with the rest of the lazy people.

Please don't compare COD to counterstrike. COD is' date=' and always has been shit after the first two World War II themed Call of Duty games.

[/quote']

Fair enough. But wouldnt you agree that both games pale in comparison to Arma, eh?

Apples to Oranges.

Both COD and CS are more popular games with a bigger fanbase.

Both games drive a huge competitive market (MLG, previously CPL, now ESEA) and are entirely skill-driven games. Especially CS.

I would not say any of these games are definitively better.

Arma has an unparalleled scope. CS takes an incredible amount of skill to master. COD is a very addictive run and gun game for casual players.

I agree that everyone needs to stfu with the GO BACK TO COD mentality. What I have noticed with this though, is it would seem the people who play this card are all lesser-skilled. IE Players who constantly get killed by other players, outplayed, outworked, they immediately get on the defensive and assume their enemy is a COD player, like that game requires a ton of skill and it transferred over to ArmA and you're just killing everyone from it.

I just don't get it. It's entirely paradoxical and very negative as a whole. On one hand you have people saying casual players are COD players. On the other hand you have people saying people are killing them are COD players.

I don't get it, can you not handle the COD players or something?

It's just whining.

I'm agree with the first post.

I already have friends who play with it. And i'm not interested in meeting other people to teamplay.

Besides that. I've been shoted by 'Survivors' (not Bandit) many ways, and at this point I shoot at everything it moves in this game.

Well.... sometimes I avoid some survivors / bandits if i dont see the situation clear. But never, never trust anyone. My trustness to survivors have been gone after been betrayed many times.

If i was playing alone (i mean, with no friends to play with), maybe i would be more persistent in being friendly to other survivors. But as i sayd, i have people to play. So i'm not interested in group with unknown people.

Unknown survivors to me are:

A) Enemy to shoot / loot

B) Enemy to avoid

You can't compare CoD and arma b/c the gameplay is so drastically different.

I mean a 1v1 gunfight in Arma involves what? Like 10 shots from both players combined. It annoys me when I kill someone and then they complain that "I'm playing it like CoD". More like your whiny ass doesn't deserve to be alive during a zombie apocalypse and I'd hate for those delicious beans in your pack to go to waste on someone like you.

To respond to the complaint in the original post, people look down on that sort of playstyle because your playing a playstyle where you just murder and kill everyone. It's not fun for any player to be randomly killed by an idiot playing the game like one would play Call of Duty.

A good majority of non-casual gamers, especially the Arma community doesn't like Call of Duty because of the simple gameplay, and the general copy paste gameplay that's seen from title to title. It's popular because it's played mainly by "Bro-gamers" and teenage kids.