Taggert1313

Your Shoot On Sight Threshold?

I will immediately shoot people who are laying on the hill watching for people to pass by. No exception at all.

That's a fairly douchey thing to do. Considering I am frequently sitting on a hill above a town watching for people to come by because my buddy is in there looting and I don't want him to get jumped by some douche. And I usually just warn him rather then shoot the person unless he says he needs me too cause he is otherwise engaged.

If they have a sniper rifle whether I want it or not.

If they don't respond to direct comms

If they are at nwa or stary with me

I shoot when communication cannot be established and they are seem to be sketchy. By being sketchy I mean that they keep trying to get behind me or are aiming a gun at me all the time or trying to get somewhere I cant really see them. Generally, though I will yell, "Friendly. Don't shoot." Then really it's up to reading the situation. If I feel things are going well, I will ask them if they need anything such as food, drink, blood, etc.

I have had some cool experiences and often make friends. These are the rare kind of moments I look for in DayZ. All your equipment is replaceable. The moments you have are not.

For me, it's got many factors:

1) How geared am I?

Do I have anything to lose that I can't get back at my tent or someone else's poorly hidden tent? If so, I'm, much more cautious.

2) What gun are they using?

If they have a pistol/hatchet out, I'm much less likely to shoot on site. If it's a big rifle I'm much more cautious. This is because I feel confident I can gun down (or evade) someone that shoots first with the previous weapons.

3) How close are they? Do they know I'm there?

If I turn a corner and there's a guy with a weapon 15 feet in front of me, my initial reaction is to shoot based on Panic and not being able to assess the other factors quick enough to make a calm decision. However, if they're a decent distance away, and probably don't even know I'm there, I simply let them go about their business, or may even try to communicate with them to let them know I'm there and friendly so I don't startle them.

4) Are they being douchebags?

If I see some sniper shooting in cherno and they haven't noticed me, I'll kill him and teabag him. If I see someone kill another survivor that is minding their own business I'll do the same. If I see an obvious duped tent city and someone visits it, I'll sit there and kill them and then flatten their tents (and probably visit them later).

Edited by MastaOfDisasta

I rarely shoot on site. I usually plan my actions first.

I'd kill for gear, unless it was established we were both friendly.

Was in Cherno had, a guy in a Ghillie and a Mk 48 Mod 0 lined up with my AKM. He went behind a wall. Started asking if I was friendly. Responded yes. Had a bit of a chat. He ended up giving me that gun anyway. Him and his invisible friend then went on their way to place satchel charges everywhere. They claim they were helping people out. I thought they were legit...Cept for the invis guy lol.

Recently I've been wondering whether I should treat the unarmed like the armed.

Found an unarmed guy in Cherno firestation. Could see he was unarmed so no stress. Started talking to him, no response. Then his character starts doing a throwing action right at me. My immediate response was to blast his head off. few minutes later I realised he took all my clips from my back pack. Little shit.

I gave this guy mercy and he spits in my face. Makes me wanna put a bullet in everyones head.

If somebody were to insist on coming towards me without communicating.

Or insisting upon coming my direction after I told them not to do so.

This, to me, would warrant a shoot-on-sight.

However, I guess that wouldn't even be classified as a shoot-on-sight...

Note: I always make sure to explain how to communicate by either text/ or voice in order to make sure that isn't the reason they are quiet.

Edited by Afgoo

I kill anyone I see. You cant trust anyone on here, regardless if they claim they are friendly or not.

Theres a reason why before all you "Q,Q".

Take a look at the Prisoner's Dilemma:

http://en.wikipedia....r's_dilemma

Video version for all tl;drers:

Edited by InfctedMushr00m
  • Like 2

if they are acting weird? No, I'll just watch them i guess...

if they don't seem trustworthy? Not sure I can say yes because then I would have to shoot pretty much everyone.

if they have good gear? No, I'm not greedy enough and I would rather spend time getting the stuff the long way.

if they won't stop following you? I would probably tell them to back off and if they didn't then I would shoot them. I have no intention of getting killed because someone shoots me in the back when I'm not looking or giving me away.

if they won't respond to you? As long as they stay away and don't point a gun at me I'll not bother with them not talking.

if they took something out of your bag? I'd shoot out his legs and steal his shit before bandaging him up and leaving him as zombie bait. That would show him...

That's a fairly douchey thing to do. Considering I am frequently sitting on a hill above a town watching for people to come by because my buddy is in there looting and I don't want him to get jumped by some douche. And I usually just warn him rather then shoot the person unless he says he needs me too cause he is otherwise engaged.

I was cool about it. Until i experience this issue, i use to ignore them but now everytime i walk by the town seen someone at the hill i get shot. Reload the game next server. Same thing happens. So not gonna take the chances again lol

This is my procedure for encounters with strangers.

Short Range (bump into them in the woods or just not paying attention)

At this point they must have little interest in a fight, they aren't shooting yet.

1. Immediately take cover.

2. Direct Coms, ask clearly regarding their hostility

a. If there is movement but no response ----------------------------------> FIRE

b. No response, but no movement, wait longer

i. Still nothing ---------------------------------------------------------------> FIRE

3. Response is friendly, negotiate terms to have a safe separation

a. Refusal or silence ----------------------------------------------------------> FIRE

4. Separate and wish safe journeys

5. Stop somewhere and wait a few to see if I'm being followed.

Medium to Long Range (scouting or playing overwatch)

1. Are they in a sniping position that threatens me or my teammates? Can't risk it. -> FIRE

2. Are they running in a direction away from me or my teammates? Let go but watch.

3. Are they running towards my teammates position?

a. Alert team to take defensive position, team will alert target through direct coms to stay away.

i. Watching the target, if he listens and leaves, cool. Maybe even some friendly banter.

ii. If he continues on his path -------------------------------------------------------------> FIRE

4. Are they running towards me? Can't risk it. -----------------------------------------------> FIRE

I know these aren't the perfect or most fair set of guidelines, but it has kept me and my team safe, and kept our murders low. Following these guidelines, for the last month, we have only ever gotten 5 murders between all of us and 3 bandit kills. I don't like getting murders, but who knows if they were bandits in the making or respawning bandits. I just don't and can't know for sure.

I try my best to give the benefit of the doubt. Most altercations are completely avoided with active use of direct coms. Most people I encounter are not looking for trouble.

What's your procedure for getting laid? Are you a German?

Every last time I've encountered a person with a firearm, whether or not I was armed or unarmed... they've tried to kill me. So I treat anyone armed with a firearm as a hostile that should be killed on sight. If they're armed with an axe or crowbar, I leave them alone unless they advance on me. If they're unarmed, I leave them alone.

It makes me a murderer often, but I consider it to be self preservation.

Personally. I only shoot when fired upon. (this may lead to my death more than my survival, but I'm ok with that).

As for stealing from me? I wouldn't shoot them for doing so. That would imply that they walked up to me unnoticed, had the chance to kill me and just take everything, and chose not to do so. With my more "carebear"-like tendencies, I'd probably just go our seperate ways even if I caught them. I'm one of those that prefers to see the good in people rather than the harsh reality that most are going to try and kill me. But whatevs. I die, I die.

Third and last reason I'll shoot someone, is if they killed a friend of mine unprovoked. (If someone I know is killing on sight, I won't save them. I just don't agree with that mentality, but I won't kill them either. It'd be one of those awkward silence cooperative moments)

IF I HAVE AN ADVANTAGE I DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

LIKE IF THEY'RE SEARCHING A LOOT PILE I PUT DOWN ON THE SPOT

I shoot on sight only if they're aware of me and aiming at me.

I KOS everyone except people without guns, if im on the beach with a vehicle however i will kill them anyway because of the risk that they steal gear/take the car.

yeah. I agree with cptbywater. ill only leave people alone if they are unarmed or are distant enough to not put me or my squad in danger. I kill people in my way. I'm here to steal your shit and use it against you. so don't stock up and leave your gear at your tent or vehicle. I don't care about it. I'll crush the tent and blow the vehicle and then use the good loot against you when I find you. But I don't kill unarmed people, and I don't go out of my way to kill people.

I'm with Taggert on pre-pubescent players. They generally can't pass up a chance to shoot someone, even if they're better off staying friendly. I'll either ditch them in the woods or recommend that we "split up" and go to another town. If I see them following me, I qualify them to be Whiterun guards.

As a rule, though, I don't shoot players on sight unless I'm in a bad mood or just found a fun PvP weapon. If they look like jerks I'll keep track of them, if they look nice I'll try to make contact. I love to rescue newbs, so if I see an unarmed survivor run into a church or log cabin with a half-dozen runners after him, I'll swoop in and mop up the threats, just to brighten their day and improve the general community spirit of the game. If I see someone running across a field who doesn't look like they know how to lose their train, I'll use a smoke grenade or flare to help them out.

Obviously, if I get shot at, I'll usually go to war with the dude, but if they're just panicking and coming at me with a crowbar when we meet in a hallway, I'll usually try to talk to them before I open up. I've had some good times rolling around with players who initially gave the the Gordon Freeman greeting.

I try to make contact, but that has gotten me killed numerous times. I'm starting to consider a shoot on sight mind set.

If you have a towel on your head, I'll shoot you on sight. If you have a ghillie suit or camo clothing on I'll assume you're trying to hide said towel and shoot you on sight. If I hear you killing newbies in Cherno/Elektro I'll actively hunt you down and kill you. Apart from that I'm pretty friendly. I try to avoid making contact for the most part but if I run into someone I'll usually get out of their line of sight and see if we can go about our days without killing each other. xD

In just about any game I play the good guy, the good guys usually have a harder time therefore making the game last longer.

If they have a hatchet they're getting bumped off. I learned my lesson about survivors with hatchets... from both sides. That's how I got a Mk 48 Mod 0 once.