Dramatic Exit

Ghosty ghostie ghost.

I had a pretty funny idea just now, while I was in the middle of a long running firefight in Elektro on a certain european server.

We were fighting against a lovely group of folks who were disconnecting, changing position on different servers, and reconnecting behind you, etc. Y'know, the standard practice for firefights in DayZ. Bit frustrating...

But the thing which amused me was this:

If two groups of people were both doing exactly the same thing, the fight itself would never actually happen. You'd have two groups of people moving around on other servers, guessing where the other guys are, popping into the original server once in a while, seeing nothing, and moving again. They'd all just pass one another, like ships in the night. Funny idea...

But regardless, for groups of players with a shiny clan tag, who you'd imagine would want to make a name for themselves, this ghosting nonsense hardly sits well with the image they wanna create.

I didn't much care about this issue until I started moving with a far larger group of players on a far better populated server. But in large firefights, it's easily the most retarded and annoying shitheap in the game.

Edited by Dramatic Exit
  • Like 2

I wonder why the insistence on the persistent, server spanning hive.

Just letting it be one character per server would solve about ten million problems.

Whats the real reason besides its "cool"?

• Like 3

Yup, one character per server works for me. I'm sure there's technical reasons it can't be done but from a laymans POV it would solve a hell of a lot of issues.

Edited by Fraggle

Just letting it be one character per server would solve about ten million problems.

Costs more money to store more information. The answer to almost every question is: money.

To OP: do not get caught up with names and clan tags in this game because they mean almost nothing. I can play as [GHOST]DramaticExit all day long if I want.

A serious clan would never use their real names or clan tags in-game. I mean, unless they want the whole world to know that they are ghosting tools...

Yup, one character per server works for me. I'm sure there's technical reasons it can't be done but from a laymans POV it would solve a hell of a lot of issues.

We put a man on the moon in 1969. It can be done.

My answer stands: money.

I was actually thinking about posting this earlier today. Glad someone beat me to it.

Well, I don't know a lot about how the hive works, but I'm guessing that running some variant of SQL server on each server would not be too cost prohibitive...

Anyway, I don't see how the hive is cheaper or really makes money that isn't made by the server hosters.

We put a man on the moon in 1969. It can be done.

You know it was fake, right?

However, one character per server wouldn't work out as good as you think. It would make finding friends and supporting them on other servers much more difficult. Also you would depend on your servers stability.

[GHOST]DramaticExit all day long if I want.

Ayup, that's something you could do. You'd probably make a better name for... uh, me, than I ever would.

That said, I'm not into the whole name and shame deal. these guys know what they were doing, as does everyone else. We had a guy watching the player list, because he was on the same server but about a half hour walk from the fight. We were watching people alt+F4 out after taking a hit, then the dude who was watching the list reported who'd just disappeared from the list... We spent our time kinda laughing in the skype call we had running.

To be brutally honest, it was making me consider using the same behaviour, particularly when some dude disappeared from infront of me after I'd hit him in the chest with an M14, then a couple of minutes later, log on about two meters behind me, and shove a load of nato rounds into the back of my head.

Aside form that, one character per server may not be the worst thing in the world. There are a good number of non-hive servers floating about, so maybe the guys I play with should try switching over to one of those.

At this point I will not advocate private servers. Alt-f4 when in combat is shameful to me so I don't do it.

I am just going to stick to the plan and hope some of these issues get worked out soon. I do understand the if I can't beat em, join em' but I don't play that way.

Done the same as you, watched the list. These issues are rampant right now. A lot of people think it's OK. Not me.

You know it was fake, right?

Don't eeeeeeeven try it.

Edit;

Okay... I'll give you two very good reasons why it was not fake and actually took place and that the people who think it's a hoax are fools.

1. There was a mirror placed on the Moon and it is still there, this was placed to measure the distance from earth, it's how we know it moves by approx 3cm a year.

2. This was 1969... The height of the Cold War, do you REALLY think for one moment that the USSR would have let THAT slide?

Edited by SponceUK

If they disappear, move. I know it's a shitty answer and everyone hates ghosting, but it's the only way you stand a chance. If they start popping out, get yourself in a nice corner, and wait. Chances are they might even be in the same corner as you. Not much more can be done at the moment

Costs more money to store more information. The answer to almost every question is: money.

To OP: do not get caught up with names and clan tags in this game because they mean almost nothing. I can play as [GHOST]DramaticExit all day long if I want.

A serious clan would never use their real names or clan tags in-game. I mean, unless they want the whole world to know that they are ghosting tools...

we are a serious group the group im in, we use the same names all the time, we dont disconnect or ghost so ive really got no fear about people knowing that when you meet me, you get a fight without disconnecting and all that other bullcrap cheaters do :)

Know what? I'm calling bullshit on all this ghosting talk.

It's possible, sure ... but with connecting to a game as unstable as it is at the moment, it's hardly as prevalent as people claim.

Folk bang on about it like it's the fucking matrix out there, with people popping out of, and into, existence like they're fucking Higgs Bosuns.

Bullshee-it

Firefights in DayZ last seconds ... Nowhere near enough time for someone to disconnect, choose another server, move about, disconnect, go back to the original and hope - through esp or some other six sense - they've outflanked their target.

I think a lot of this is just someone getting plain ol' outflanked - hardly difficult to do in an engine with poor periperal vision.

Face it OP - you got owned. Butthurt is butthurt.

Fume.

• Like 1

well i was with exit in this, i started a new 'playthrough' and had a lot of time to listen to what they had to say in the skype call. i was pretty much out of the fray so i could listen very closely and concentrate on what they had to say.

a lot of 'headshots on target with a lot of blood around that general area' were mentioned, but the body was not there ( observer via scope/binoculars). neither did the shooter ( our guy) have a 'players killed' statistic increase. the shot guy did not roll nor walk away. they player model simply disappeared, so we assumed it was a disconnect, which is the most likely scenario in this case. i mean that very same bug can not happen 4 times in a few minutes without the development knowing about it. i mean this is not some 'you break your leg on one staircase in 200 if you are prone on it'. this is quite a several issue when it comes to pvp. or would be, rather.

as for reconnecting to a different server in such a short time - the server we were one takes a really short time to load when compared to others i was playing at. some 20-30 secs and you are in. that not such an issue taking into consideration that our opponents had a decent 40-50 minutes to run around on other servers, then reconnect ( i was on my way from the southwestern shore to elektro through the woods, while doing some looting on the way, so do the math )

all in all - it is a very cheap thing to do. game mechanic abuse at it's best.

i considered this game to be one that would gravitate players of 'higher maturity levels' ( if i can say it like that ) to it. people who used to play wasteland and fallout 1,2 and dare i say - would event try to roleplay their way in this mod. well, a long time ago, i learned that you will meet dicks everywhere and i am not talking about the general dayz playerbase, of course. but this is just plain retarded and should be considered some sort of abuse and with possible punishment attached to it ( temporary ban, etc ).

my $ 0.02

btw, hello community, nice mod you have here.

Oh yeah I understand, that would be annoying.

I didn't catch where this thread was posted, so all I saw was the title, and though it was a suggestion to have "ghosts" in DayZ. :lol:

Especially after reading, "I had a pretty funny idea just now, while I was in the middle of a long running firefight in Elektro on a certain european server."

It would be pretty funny/scary if they did add ghosts though.

As I posted in the suggestions thread (http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/54577-adding-my-2cents-admins/#entry521751) ... the solution doesn't have to be more expensive.

3. You should spawn on the coast every time you join a new server but you don't lose your gear.

It would stop ghosting and server hopping for advantage.

It would prevent players from preparing raids on another server and spawning directly into an enemy camp bypassing all defences.

It would prevent snipers from spawning onto mountain tops and buildings to PK and then server hopping to repeat.

It would encourage players to form communities and learn to play with other players who have made that server their home and it wouldn't have any effect on lone wolves either.

It might affect squads that server hop together, but in reality, how hard is it for an experienced player to meet up with their buddies again?

It would prevent combat logging and sitting in the lobby while a squadmate comes to heal you.

It would prevent combat logging to another server to self-heal, and then logging back in to continue the fight.

As I posted in the suggestions thread (http://dayzmod.com/f...ns/#entry521751) ... the solution doesn't have to be more expensive.

3. You should spawn on the coast every time you join a new server but you don't lose your gear.

It would stop ghosting and server hopping for advantage.

It would prevent players from preparing raids on another server and spawning directly into an enemy camp bypassing all defences.

It would prevent snipers from spawning onto mountain tops and buildings to PK and then server hopping to repeat.

It would encourage players to form communities and learn to play with other players who have made that server their home and it wouldn't have any effect on lone wolves either.

It might affect squads that server hop together, but in reality, how hard is it for an experienced player to meet up with their buddies again?

It would prevent combat logging and sitting in the lobby while a squadmate comes to heal you.

It would prevent combat logging to another server to self-heal, and then logging back in to continue the fight.

But if you join the same server surely you won't spawn on the beach right? Else you may aswell call this game D-Day instead of Day-Z.

But if you join the same server surely you won't spawn on the beach right? Else you may aswell call this game D-Day instead of Day-Z.

Same server would function as normal, you would log in/out at the same position as normal. However, joining a new server would place you on the beach, not the same place as the server you just left.

I don't think this would work. Here's why.

Twelve high geared guys are in the north. They hear their buddy is in trouble near Elektro. They proceed to log in and out of the server repeatedly until they get themselves, high-level-gear and all, someplace near electro, at which point they proceed to fuck up someone's day, through means totally not intended by dem devs, nor natural-looking.

Edited by Dramatic Exit