basher5_2

Day Z...WAS.....fun

Again, this is an alpha. It's nowhere near being finished. Reading the forums I get the feeling many fail to realize what an alpha actually is.

Yes, PKing is a problem. We have a lot of players running around shooting on sight which results in their victims getting tired and start doing the same just to stay alive and the whole thing just snowballs.

I'm certain that this will become less of a problem as the mod progresses.The dev team will add things that makes the mod more focused on survival(like the temp and infections) and less on PK just for lulz, the "COD kids" will get bored and move on, the hype will slow down and people will leave for other games.

It amuses me that so many people get called "carebears" by people who are essentially fighting for their right to play on easy mode. They don't give a shit about rocket's vision (see: bandit tears over humanity system)' date=' despite how much they hide behind it. It's more realistic this way, they say.

You know what's not realistic? Knowing that you can camp, waiting for someone with better gear than you to pop up so you can take their shit, and simultaneously knowing that if you fail you can always respawn, jog a few km, and try it all over again. The consequences of death are completely different for survivors and bandits, causing them to play the game in two different ways.

Rocket has said this is an experiment. Well, an experiment has variables and they need to be managed. Otherwise the results of the experiment will skew one way and provide you with meaningless data. I still love the mod, but the unfocused vision and loose management of the community is making it harder and harder to WANT to play. Do nothing about dupers and hackers and griefers, but continue adding unpolished content that makes the game harder on the average players.

Sort it out.

[hr']

Blah blah blah COD' date=' blah blah blah BF3.

Change the record please, bored of this tune.

[/quote']

By opening the thread, you're putting the record on.

Change it yourself.

Only truly intelligent post yet.

Meh' date=' I don't see why I should put my well being in SOMEONE ELSE'S hands.

The guy who didn't see me that I let live could be the same guy zeroing in on my back an hour later. He could choose not to shoot me, but guess what? I would prefer if he didn't have that choice in the first place.

KILL ON SIGHT.

[/quote']

Killing on sight doesn't remove the guy's choice of shooting you an hour later. He'll still respawn and head out into the world.

It does, however, make that same guy more likely to shoot on sight next time if he's not already one of the 10% of dedicated PKers.

The more players you kill 'just in case', the more likely it becomes that you will be shot on sight later, 'just in case'.

As I've said before, killing people is easy to the point of being the weakest-willed and most short-sighted of all possible player interactions. It's figuring out if you can trust someone that's the challenge in DayZ, at least IMO.

The "kill on sight anything that moves"-mentality does hurt the game.

It's not "I'm starving, I need his beans" or "he walked towards me, aiming his rifle at me", the reason why a (IMO) increasing part of the playerbase kills anything that moves is simply "why not?"

My impression is that quite a lot new players are still rather hesitant when it comes to player killing, often trying to avoid combat and communicate instead. I wonder how much their playstyle will change after the 4th or 5th time someone gunned them down in cold blood.

"Yeah, you gotta be more careful. Trust noone."

I call that BS. I don't have to be careful. I just have to line up every guy I see and press the trigger. Because, why not?

Why not?

See my previous post.

I've been playing for a while now and have been gunned down maybe ten or so times. I still let encounters with others play out, and communicate when I feel I need to. I'll also shoot if I have to, but *only* if I have to.

I also have met more friendly than bandits. You have to find people to roll with to increase your chances. But you just have to learn to survive.. Im new and ive been alive 10days so far just hitting towns up north. I rarely go to cherno and elektro

I still haven't killed a single survivor in 3+ weeks of playing. Every encounter with a survivor that doesn't end in one of us dying is for me one of the highlights of the game. But I wonder how long that will still be possible.

I personally really don't care much about dying, In fact, the 1st couple of hours spent scrounging together some decent equipment for a new char is for me the most fun part of the game. A lot of people do care though, and I see more and more people going the easy way of "shoot first". Simply because, "why not?".

Maybe you're just not very good at the game, maybe try being more cautious and put yourself in the positions to see the survivors first, and rather than waiting for them to see you and shoot just gtfo if your paranoia overcomes your willingness to trust anyone.

If i find myself facing someone who is looking intimidating, with a high powered rifle/AK out and aiming at me, I'll aim back with my pistol. The next move the guy makes determines the outcome of the situation. If they make a move that makes me think they're going to try to take me down, I'll either figure out a route to run in (most probably) or take them down if theres nowhere to run. I've been alive long enough to have a decent amount of kit, and i dont want to lose it to some trigger happy twit who just wants to take the easy route.

If i do take someone down, its because they were a threat. Its unlikely i'd loot them because i've found out the hard way that shots attract other people. 9 times out of 10 the 'other people' will take me down and get two lots of loot.

What does irritate me is when you help someone out and they repay you by putting a round in your chest. I've been in situations where i see a guy running with zombies on his ass. I'll take them out, then the guy turns on me. I've just saved your life, thanks for taking mine.

Seriously this cod kid that and DM this is getting really old. Think about it for real how stupid and boring this game would be without random players who might shoot you on sight? Besides those "cod kids" doesn't have the patience to play this game. They won't wait you at the tower for hours to score that one more kill they desire or they wont walk dozens of kilometers just to avoid seeing you. No they just run and getting killed and killing other fools in the process. That's one reason why you should leave the trigger happy coastline soon as possible. Coast, Sobor area and NW airfield are death traps if you are wandering there alone in a populated server.

And what consequences exactly there should be then? Rules of engagement in a post-apocalyptic world? It would be absolutely boring if it would be just survivors vs. zombies or made up black and white factions like "bandits" and "survivors". Seriously this game wouldn't be even near this popular if it wouldn't have the freedom as it has now. There's absolutely no other game which have gave me such thrills as this game. The fear of losing everything is the reason why this game is like a heroin. I have enjoyed a lot so far and remember guys this is just an alpha!

The coast is a death zone, you stay there, that's your problem, I don't see why you need to have your cake and eat it, you want to go into Chern and electro wit out being shot? tough shit, they're bandit hotspots. Stay away or get killed.

it just becomes a DM if you let it happpen with your playstyle. i love to hide and playing stealth, silently watching players and scout them out.

just heading to the woods when i have a new char away from the spawn citys.

I agree to an extent — it's a shame that there's so much random murdering. Don't get me wrong; I'm a bandit player and kill other survivors for fun and beans, but more teamwork between human players in general would make the mod more interesting for everyone.

I'm not familiar with the ARMA2 engine, but perhaps it would be possible to create groups with chats to them, and everyone in the group would be able to see each other's names at close range? I think that improved communication could do a lot to improve the game.

Sure. Let's all make a thread on forum when we will be leaving. Also don't forget to tell people on facebook ,twitter etc. I don't even get it how "I\ m leaving thread" got 7 pages of conversation. Ridiculous.

Day Z to me has become a death match mod that has zombies' date=' not a zombie survival mod. Good luck with the devopment and maybe later on ill come back. But for now its a joke.

[/quote']

What exactly did you expect to happen? There isn't anything else to do in the mod at this point. There's only so much 'survival' in this game people are going to do and eventually they are going to get bored sneaking past zombies all the damn time.

My favorite parts of the game was where a group of people worked together to accomplish something. I don't play the mod much anymore because there isn't a point because there's no real 'payoff' for doing anything after a while.

Killing on sight doesn't remove the guy's choice of shooting you an hour later. He'll still respawn and head out into the world.

It does' date=' however, make that same guy more likely to shoot on sight next time if he's not already one of the 10% of dedicated PKers.

The more players you kill 'just in case', the more likely it becomes that you will be shot on sight later, 'just in case'.

As I've said before, killing people is easy to the point of being the weakest-willed and most short-sighted of all possible player interactions. It's figuring out if you can trust someone that's the challenge in DayZ, at least IMO.

[/quote']

It removes him from your location and forces him to spend time getting another weapon.

If killing on sight is the smartest thing to do, why shouldn't I expect other players to do it as well? As far as I am concerned, the amount of other "Just in case" killers is 100%. If killing other players increases that number, it doesn't phase me at all.

By the way, I guess you could say I am weak-willed. I hate gambling, leaving things up to chance, or leaving things up to other people. If the "challenge" is to put my back to the guy and see if he shoots me or not, I'm not interested. Maybe that shit floats your boat, but not me.

Travel in groups, obviously you're an easy victim if you're lone-wolfing it. Having the database mess up and put me on the coast at the moment, and continually not sync my position is what's upsetting me, I can't get out of the cities which means i can't get away from other players. I generally avoid other players and observe them if i see them. If you're stupid enough to go running gung-ho into an area without properly scouting it, you deserve to die. Someone is going to kill you, there's two things that go through my mind when i see another player. "Watch him" or "get out." I usually choose to watch them, i'm not for killing another non-hostile player and most other players will generally leave you alone, or even help you. If you're on the coast getting sniped by bandits, yeah it sucks, get off the coast that is the solution. There's not good loot in the cities, getting a gun that makes a ton of noise is a death sentence unless you're playing with other people. My suggestion is the head to the nearest smaller town, and get yourself a hunting knife and matches. The CZ 550 is great for killing livestock at a distance as well keeping an eye out for other players. Watch what they do, if they're scavenging and avoiding Zombies chances are that player is going to be experienced and friendly. If they're in a group with other players, offer to join them on teamspeak or something. Or avoid them entirely wait for them to leave and go about your business. Encountering other players is tense for a reason, there's limited supplies. I've robbed players for water without having to kill them before. I've even had a random players give me first aid. Once you get some good gear though, avoid other players you don't know unless you see them working together with survivors in side chat.

I've gone full deathmatch a grand total of once in my time in game.

I'd recently died in a 4v5 of my group versus another, we'd won but with heavy casualties. I spawned near elektro and made my way in, picked up a winny and enough supplies to reach the rest of my group to the far north west.

As I'm leaving elektro, I see a survivor, decided not to shoot him and just crawled past, not even ten seconds later I get shot in the back, knocked unconscious then finished off execution style. I'm furious but as luck would have it, I came back at elektro in the same spawn, I decided immediately that I would get revenge.

I sprint through the town firing my makarov, gathering as many zeds as I can find before doubling back to where I died only to strike it lucky a second time, I catch sight of my killer crouched and sneaking away, completely oblivious of the incoming horde.

One brief moment of serpentine to dodge his shots, a few rounds from my makarov to his knee and one horde numbering more than fifty later. I got the extreme pleasure of watching him get ripped apart by Zeds moments after I died.

I don't regret it for even a minute.

Well, yesterday I got my lesson (got makarov'ed by a noob who claimed to be friendly), and now I don't trust anyone except my mate. We usually go deep into wilderness but if someone comes our way, he gets mowed down.

I agree with the OP to a degree. Also disagree - I'm still finding really rewarding team work with random people. I think there is a lot more "deathmatch" type gameplay going on. And I also love the mod and idea - so I'm going to stick it out and keep testing it to make it the best it can be. Rocket has to test different things out with us - he has to test the extremes and all points in between to see where this mod with thrive. So unlike the OP I'm gonna stick around and help out by playing and helping new players.

i agreed.

too much of a time sink to just be merked by some jerk off because... of no reason.

think ill spend my time fapping instead.

I just have to line up every guy I see and press the trigger. Because' date=' why not?

[/quote']

If you do this, you won't survive long.

The best idea is knowing when to engage and when to disengage. Treat every single thing you do in-game as if you were attacking a known enemy position. If you must infiltrate a location solo, do so at night and without non-natural light sources.

And when you catch a noob or two standing around without cover or concealment, why not shoot them and share their meager gear with your mates? Hopefully they learn the lesson and apply it with their next life.

However, I don't (literally) "shoot on sight" or spawn-camp on the coasts. But I do treat every single other player that is not part of my group as a hostile, no matter what, and if I am sure I can successfully engage them and win I will do so.

To me, that level of tactical decision-making is a ton of fun in this sandbox environment. The people that "Get" that concept are having a riot while everyone else is QQ'ing on the coasts. :P