Sign in to follow this  
Pale_Rider

Character Motivations

I would love to see a very general, broad-scoped sort of "quest" for each character upon logging in. Something positive to help foster a little community and get you in the mindset of a survivor. If you succeed, you gain some Humanity.

Here's some ideas:

- Repair a vehicle to operating condition

- Find a hospital

- Lead a group of at least 3 survivors (including you)

- Kill a bandit

- Find a church and pray at the altar

- Build 3 barricades

- Kill 20 zeds in a 5 minute period

What are you ideas?

I would love to see a very general' date=' broad-scoped sort of "quest" for each character upon logging in. Something positive to help foster a little community and get you in the mindset of a survivor. If you succeed, you gain some Humanity.

Here's some ideas:

- Find a hospital

- Kill a bandit

- Build 3 barricades

What are you ideas?

[/quote']

While those may add some objectives; it would have to be in a free to chose concept. The best thing about this mod is the freedom and the fact that their is not a must complete set of objectives.

hmm think this can be done in the way of spec ops modular and even it can be turned on or off by the player when playing so if he/she chose to do a mission you can if u don't want to be asked it can be turned off by button.

I think i have such thing please bear with and ill take a look as am putting together a large post for a lot of peoples things they asked for.

I would love to see a very general' date=' broad-scoped sort of "quest" for each character upon logging in. Something positive to help foster a little community and get you in the mindset of a survivor. If you succeed, you gain some Humanity.

Here's some ideas:

- Find a hospital

- Kill a bandit

- Build 3 barricades

What are you ideas?

[/quote']

While those may add some objectives; it would have to be in a free to chose concept. The best thing about this mod is the freedom and the fact that their is not a must complete set of objectives.

Totally agree! So maybe all of them are given to you and you can choose to do them or not do them. They're tied to your character, not that particular life, just like your Humanity.

Here's an idea: what if you found the "missions" in journals scattered around? You find a piece of paper on a zed's corpse which details his wish to have his soul prayed for in a church? You come across a journal in a house with some instructions on how to put a car back together from parts?

I really don't think this game should turn into Armory mode.

I have no idea what this means. I'm not talking about making it an MMO where there's characters you go get quests from so you can get your +398734 Sword of WtFGanking.

I'm just saying it's a helpful way to tell people a.) what's possible to do and b.) give them ideas about to do in a particular session without breaking their immersion.

Immersion is the name of the game. If a character has a journal with some things listed out (ie, those ideas I have above there but in a story form), I think it would really add to the game.

Armory mode is a sandbox mode that comes with Vanilla Arma, wherein you periodically get missions in a manner very similar to how you suggested. I really think discovering what you can do in game is most of the fun, and I'm not sure I like the game 'condoning' certain activities. It takes the fun away, for me at least.

These sound more like 'achievements' than motivations... but I guess they are one in the same now that I think about it. I think they have things planned for these kind of ideas. If they get the group system working, these would cater very nicely.

Some more ideas:

-Use a blood-pack on a buddy when they are <3000 blood level.

-Obtain a revolver. Become the Sheriff.

-Try all flavours of soda available. (If they add more)

-Eat a can of # different food products. (If they add more)

-Successfully trade # of ammo,food,equipment etc. (if the time comes when this is possible)

-Visit all the airfields.

-Use adrenaline on a buddy after they have passed out.

-Help a bandit redeem themselves.

-Hunt wild game and give away the meat to strangers.

That's all I got for now.

may be irrelevant, but i was thinking it would be neat if players had the option to write entries into a journal. that way they'll know if they die that they can live on. a friend or an enemy can grab the journal off of the body and chose to leave it the way it is or add to it. this could create some great stories and help make the game feel more lived in.

I find that i have to disagree i feel as though side missions if they are given like set tasks will take away the freedom that so many people have been waiting for. there aren't many games that provide a free roam, free choice style of play. so why would you want it limited to go here collect that or go here do that. if the missions are there but aren't compulsory for you to do then i'm fine with missions, but the idea the devs are working on here from what i can glean off the site and while playing the game is that they are trying to bring us a game that is purely our decision on every aspect whether it is healing now or later or shooting someone on site, but once again we should just let the devs do their work and see what they produce.

may be irrelevant, but i was thinking it would be neat if players had the option to write entries into a journal. that way they'll know if they die that they can live on. a friend or an enemy can grab the journal off of the body and chose to leave it the way it is or add to it. this could create some great stories and help make the game feel more lived in.

that is a fantastic idea you could find diaries with journal entries for weeks or days ago and not to mention that it would divulge some good loot points.

I don't get why a game like this would need some boring artificial achievements.

Achievement get:

Fire your makarov!!!

*yay*

Really, you can easily set your own goals and pat yourself on the shoulder when you achieve them.

Why would you have to find a hospital if you're not wounded... and if you are... actually finding the required healing is reward enough.

Actual sidemissions that make sense are a different thing though.

Pray in a church? lol...

A game should never force a particular faith upon anyone. You know, not all are christian. Alot are even not religious.

The journal idea is such a great one. To the people that poo-poo the idea of missions to add some gameplay, what would it hurt? Just make the missions voluntary, with limited rewards that you could find somewhere else at any time, and let us have even MORE fun than we are already having. I'll never say "no" to extra content, it's what makes good games great. :)

You don't need the game to tell you to do these things, nor notify you or act as a checklist. Make your own checklist on a piece of paper besides your computer and designate these as your character goals if you so wish. C'mon people its a Sandbox game you don't need to be spoonfed shit you can think of yourself.

I'll never say "no" to extra content' date=' it's what makes good games great. :)

[/quote']

Geeze, I almost feel like that should be in my sig file. Great philosophy!

I don't like adding artificial game-ness to this mod. It's fun because in a lot of respects it feels like a sandbox simulating a zombie apocalypse, not a game. You create the rules and you create the stakes.

Any other way feels too much like hand holding.

What is all this whining about "I don' wanna be spoonfed stuff" and "waaaaaaah, it's a sandbox I don't want my freedom to be taken". There is not one, no not one post on here asking for people to be FORCED to do little side missions. Everyone that approves this is asking for neat little nuggets to enhance their day z experience. Little things that add to the atmosphere of a post-apocalyptic world.

Would you guys complain about creepy music being added (it already is), or tidbits of "end of the world" broadcasts? If the answer is no, then what's wrong with adding little things to discover and expand on the story? I'd LOVE to find victim's journal, with a little note saying "I left a stash at so and so, please pray for my soul if this is ever found" and things like that. I'd also like to find newspapers detailing "THE END OF THE WORLD" and "DISEASE RUNS RAMPANT". Extra content rocks ;).

There's a difference between spoonfed, meaning arbitrary quests that you are pretty much entitled and required to do, as opposed to something that you come across in a random loot spawn or a survivor's journal on a dead body.

It is a sandbox; players shouldn't be rewarded outside of the possibilities of what you might come across normally. It lets players set their own difficulty level, in a way, and may players aren't accustomed to something that doesn't point them in a direction, a la Skyrim.

Granted, I'm still thinking about the idea, but my knee-jerk reaction is that it seems pulled from The Sims 3's little goal system which seems kind of out of place.

What is all this whining about "I don' wanna be spoonfed stuff" and "waaaaaaah' date=' it's a sandbox I don't want my freedom to be taken". There is not one, no not one post on here asking for people to be FORCED to do little side missions. Everyone that approves this is asking for neat little nuggets to enhance their day z experience. Little things that add to the atmosphere of a post-apocalyptic world.

Would you guys complain about creepy music being added (it already is), or tidbits of "end of the world" broadcasts? If the answer is no, then what's wrong with adding little things to discover and expand on the story? I'd LOVE to find victim's journal, with a little note saying "I left a stash at so and so, please pray for my soul if this is ever found" and things like that. I'd also like to find newspapers detailing "THE END OF THE WORLD" and "DISEASE RUNS RAMPANT". Extra content rocks ;).

[/quote']

I was talking about the "humanity" boost you get from completing "missions" that seems very gamey.

Adding journals I would be fine with. Unfortunately it would be nearly impossible to accomplish in this mod (in my eyes). How would you make the journals varied enough to seem real and not totally linear and scripted? How would you make sure whatever the journal says is there in that stash is actually there if it is random and how do you make sure it isn't just found by a random Joe? Even if you did make them random it would be very difficult for them to tell the player exactly where it is located without marking it on the dead person's map (which I'm not sure can be scripted)? How would you keep people from discovering the new "spots" for equipment and not just camp them like they do the airfields? What does this feature actually add to the experience as a mechanic? Not a whole lot except direction to find loot. I think you haven't totally thought through what would be possible in this mod. In a game like Fallout or Skyrim it makes sense because the devs can hand place stuff and it's always seems new to you. Skyrim even has a quest randomizer and Radiant AI. It doesn't work the same way here.

I do have a way to make your idea work. Add journals and have admins occassionally do these quests out of good will--but then that feels awfully like a roleplaying server.

Best course of action: add journals because they seem to be desired and let players do what they want with them.

The other content you mentioned would be fine with me, backstory can't hurt.

These ideas are like a bad case of flu or I'd say cancer that is today's gaming philosophy and should be removed as soon as possible, people so used to hello kitty style of gaming(click here, go here, click again, bring it there, get a reward - dog mentality) that when a a game that offers true freedom comes out they can't think of another way to improve except in a way they used to play other games.