Sign in to follow this  
speedsweep

Hack or no hack? (first time in DayZ)

Hello everyone!

Yesterday was my very first time in DayZ, and I have a question.

I read and watched many tutorials, videos, threads, etc. and I came across something very strange on my first play.

So I spawned on the coast near to Kamyshovo I guess. I went into the direction of the town in order to try and find some equipment.

After a while getting my hands on the controls and evading some zombies, I approached to coast where a big industrial warehouse is, and while walking near the shore, surprise:

There was a guy prone in a ghillie suit with an AS50 and another very good weapon and quite some stuff.

I was pretty scared he would shoot me but he didn't move at all. So I thought he might be dead and approached.

I could open his inventory and take stuff inside and apparently his name was "Sniper" if it is the name you see in the inventory on the top left.

Sometimes it looked like he stood up for a quarter second then went back prone.

So I was wondering if it was a player, or if there can be some human npcs spawned by the server or if it was hacked stuff.

Because I took the backpack and some things and I don't want to make something bad.

Oh and to finish the story with of course some big dumb noobie stuff, I wanted to take of the weapon I took to put it in the backpack and take the other one in the hand, but I selected the weapon and clicked on drop and they disappeared!!! Is that a mistake by me or you just can't put stuff on the floor?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

I'd have a guess he/she was afk.... all legit gear so it seems.

Nothing unusual there, back packs eating items are a known bug and it's not unusual for players to have those weapons/camo

If you could open his inventory, he was dead. If you could only open the backpack, he was probably just afk.

Sometimes corpses appear to be stuck in "live" positions, and sometimes they glitch stand up then back down really fast.

Players wearing ghillie suits are called "sniper."

Losing items is a known bug; lots of ways stuff disappears.

Just to clear that up: The name "sniper" is assigned automatically to every player wearing the ghillie suit, since the model used for it is that of the ARMA2 sniper. The full nametag for a normal survivor is normally "Rifleman PLAYERNAME" while wearing civil or camo clothing. If you put on the ghillie, the nametag will be "Sniper PLAYERNAME".

Oh and don't worry, ghillie guy with AS50 on the coast is a camper anyway, next time you see him, take the gun and shoot him in the head.

Edited by daskleineviech

To avoid losing stuff to your backpack always make sure you have room for your equipment before doing anything in you gear menu.

Main weapons take up 10 slots in pack and sidearms take 5. Note that if you move a weapon from your gear every related ammunition moves with it. So if you want to put an AKM in you backpack and you have 2 clips for it, make sure you have 12 (10mainweapon+2mags) slots open. Otherwise you´ll either lose your weapon or a mag.

The figure above your backpack menu shows the number of open slots. Lets say the number is 5/20. It means theres 5 slots open of total of 20 usable slots.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Vincibel

Ok perfect!

I knew about the disappearing stuff issue, and as well about how to handle the backpack.

The thing I did was clicking on the weapon I just grabbed from him and had in my main weapon slot and clicked on "drop".

Then I took the other weapon in his backpack and did the same, but couldn't find them on the ground anymore.

After that, I emptied his backpack, emptied mine, took his and put stuff back in.

And obviously after seeing your answers he was dead, because I took the weapon from his hands, his backpack etc.

Thanks a lot for all this useful information! Too bad the weapons dissapeared because it was hell of a lucky time to find this on my first hour of play.

I found a hatchet afterwards so I am running with that for now :)

Cheers folks!

Came in this thread with the assumption OP was considering using hacks/scripts on his 2nd day of playing DayZ.

Proud of u son.

^ same lol