Sign in to follow this  
TheMachine

Hacking makes DayZ impossible to play 'seriously'

Rocket has repeatedly said that what he's trying to achieve is a persistent world survival game where death 'really matters' and it's difficult to advance and gain new gear etc.

That's all great, I like a challenge.

But there's really no sense or use investing more than 20 minutes into a game when the hacking is so rampant, it really has reached epidemic (excuse the pun) proportions now.

Literally every server with more than 30 people I've joined in the last 2 days has been besieged by hackers.

Yesterday alone our team looted 14 as50's. 14.

Of course we all died, since the hackers can just respawn behind you, and no matter how well you're covering each others backs, they'll get you in the end.

For me DayZ is only multiplayer, single player doesn't interest me in the slightest, but there's no future in a multiplayer with so much hacking.

Now, we all know hacking is a part of any multiplayer FPS, it always has been and it always will be.

But in DayZ it's far more common (like every second server common) than in say...battlefield or some other shooter.

Rocket's own livestream got the thunderdome treatment earlier today.

Please don't post telling me that you've only seen 1 hacker or something, it's stupid.

I think we're all past that now and we all know how common it is.

Unless rocket has a concrete plan to stop it for his standalone release, he might as well just call the whole thing off.

• Like 6

i lost my player at least 3-4 times due to hackers. its pisstaking but you just have to move on. it gets really frustrating playing in a full server because something bound to happen.

i lost my player at least 3-4 times due to hackers. its pisstaking but you just have to move on. it gets really frustrating playing in a full server because something bound to happen.

Well quite frankly your only option at this stage is to move on... to not playing.

I don't think I've had a death this week that isn't a result of hacking.

• Like 1

Ran into a guy with an M16 and unlimited rounds earlier. shame, took me four hours to meet up with my friends before being killed by him

So don't worry about playing "seriously" for now.

Test the game. Mess around. Try different things. Experiment. Relax.

Above all, try not to complain about it in the process.

Ran into a guy with an M16 and unlimited rounds earlier. shame, took me four hours to meet up with my friends before being killed by him

4 hours?

That map is 15x15km.

You run 5 m/s.

You could have run back and forth across the map 4.8 times in 4 hours.

Even if it took you 2 hours (?!) to grab a weapon and some food, that still gives you enough time to traverse the map 2.5 times.

I mean I'm sorry you got killed but holy shit.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Today, after joined a 32 players server, we got all teleported to Chernogorsk (?) just near more and more bear trap. The only solution? Esc -> Abort

Even a simple 'derp' around cherno is becoming problematic, takes 10 minutes minimum to gear up, then it's not long before someone's shooting at you with their hacked AS50 from the grain silo.

It's always so obvious too, these hackers seem to have a standard 'loadout' (coyote, as50, m4a1 silenced etc) they drop when you kill them.

5 minutes later they're back again with the same stuff and if you really anger them, it's god mode time!

• Like 1

Rocket has repeatedly said that what he's trying to achieve is a persistent world survival game where death 'really matters' and it's difficult to advance and gain new gear etc.

That's all great, I like a challenge.

But there's really no sense or use investing more than 20 minutes into a game when the hacking is so rampant, it really has reached epidemic (excuse the pun) proportions now.

Literally every server with more than 30 people I've joined in the last 2 days has been besieged by hackers.

Yesterday alone our team looted 14 as50's. 14.

Of course we all died, since the hackers can just respawn behind you, and no matter how well you're covering each others backs, they'll get you in the end.

For me DayZ is only multiplayer, single player doesn't interest me in the slightest, but there's no future in a multiplayer with so much hacking.

Now, we all know hacking is a part of any multiplayer FPS, it always has been and it always will be.

But in DayZ it's far more common (like every second server common) than in say...battlefield or some other shooter.

Rocket's own livestream got the thunderdome treatment earlier today.

Please don't post telling me that you've only seen 1 hacker or something, it's stupid.

I think we're all past that now and we all know how common it is.

Unless rocket has a concrete plan to stop it for his standalone release, he might as well just call the whole thing off.

Me and my friend last night agreed that we just can't take this seriously anymore because of the massive amount of hackers now. It's either you go to a private server and play there or you just mess about in Dayz at the moment. I just can't get myself to go and gear up anymore.

Even a simple 'derp' around cherno is becoming problematic, takes 10 minutes minimum to gear up, then it's not long before someone's shooting at you with their hacked AS50 from the grain silo.

It's always so obvious too, these hackers seem to have a standard 'loadout' (coyote, as50, m4a1 silenced etc) they drop when you kill them.

5 minutes later they're back again with the same stuff and if you really anger them, it's god mode time!

Since this is such a huge problem you won't have any issues creating a video of you getting killed by an obvious hacker in less than.... let's say 40 minutes?

PM the youtube link thanks.

Since this is such a huge problem you won't have any issues creating a video of you getting killed by an obvious hacker in less than.... let's say 40 minutes?

You are ignorant to believe as if this problem doesn't exist. There are hacker threads on the first page of the forums at all times, and even in the recent interview with Rocket he stated the number 1 problem right now is hacking. I don't know what you are trying to disprove.

• Like 2

Even a simple 'derp' around cherno

The only thing simple about Cherno is death. That's been true since day one I don't know what it has to do with hackers.

Don't go there unless you want to die. Most of us learned this the day we started DayZ.

You are ignorant to believe as if this problem doesn't exist.

Except that's not at all what he said. He said go go get killed by one in 40 minutes or less. If they are constantly on every server everywhere that should not be a problem.

But if the extent and frequency of the issues are perhaps not quite as prevalent as the forums would have you believe, then it might prove difficult.

Nobody is arguing that hackers don't exist.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I'm convinced the smart assess denying this is a huge problem are actually hacking, then meta trolling the rest of us on the forums.

• Like 4

The only thing simple about Cherno is death. That's been true since day one I don't know what it has to do with hackers.

Don't go there unless you want to die. Most of us learned this the day we started DayZ.

Come on Zed, stop being ridiculous.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here, yes cherno is certain death, but when it's a hacker who keeps coming back and back and back, it's just frustrating.

And when the most common weapon I'm looting is an AS50, something is WRONG.

Edited by TheMachine
  • Like 3

But if the extent and frequency of the issues are perhaps not quite as prevalent as the forums would have you believe, then it might prove difficult.

The thing is.. It is as prevalent as the forums would have you believe. While i couldn't get it for you in 40 mins, I promise i can get it in a 5-6 hour window and that is more than enough for it to be too much of a problem. just last night in a span of 3 hours i was killed twice by hackers (in air porting ). Now, it doesn't happen that frequent where it's twice in a night, but at least a hacker every other day is very much likely.

You tell him not to take it seriously because you obviously acknowledge the hacking is preventing any serious attempts to keep a character alive then when he talks about having a derp around in cherno/electro you admonish him for playing that way?

Most of your posts are well thought out and I enjoy reading them but it seems like your contradicting yourself here.

Edited by Spoleto

You tell him not to take it seriously because you obviously acknowledge the hacking is preventing any serious attempts to keep a character alive then when he talks about having a derp around in cherno/electro you admonish him for playing that way?

I'm no admonishing him for playing that way, I'm admonishing him for playing that way and then complaining about it.

I run around in Cherno a lot. I just expect to die when I do and I don't complain about it on the forums when the inevitable occurs.

My last 10 deaths have been to hackers. Still no thunderdome or anything "funny" just invisible assholes or server bombing.

Bastards keep taking my choppers too.

even this morning on a server with 6 people me and a mate got killed by an invis guy. didnt realise he was hacking till he shot me with a silenced as50 when i was watching the only entrance to my windowless building.

I'm no admonishing him for playing that way, I'm admonishing him for playing that way and then complaining about it.

I run around in Cherno a lot. I just expect to die when I do and I don't complain about it on the forums when the inevitable occurs.

Well first you told him not to complain about the hackers and just mess around, then he explained that even messing around in Cherno is difficult nowadays because it's usually the No.1 spot for hackers to hit with their spawned in weapons and you told him that he shouldn't be suprised if he dies in Cherno.

At no point did he complain about dying in Cherno on the forums infact he agreed with you that Cherno is certain death but that playing the smart way - Up north, carefully is almost as dangerous now due to server wide nukes being way too common for any extended playtime.

At least thats how I interpreted his point.

Regardless I don't need to fight other peoples battles on the forums, this hacking is effecting ALL of us regardless of our playstyle and we should be fairly unanimous as a community that regardless of the *source* of these hacking problems(engine vunerabilites, laughable anti-cheat), they are indeed problems that are affecting how we all play the mod.

Up until recently I had more fun being a tester of this alpha mod than I have playing most other final release games, maybe It's spoilt me but I cannot see myself continuing to test this mod If my dayz story keeps ending with a mass server nuke or a teleporting godmode ghillie goon gunning me down.

Edited by Spoleto

I don't run into hackers often and when I do I leave that server.

exactly. really isn't an epidemic (there's no pun there).

exactly. really isn't an epidemic (there's no pun there).

Well if it isn't happening to you it must not be a problem, I love the way you think <_<

Also RE: Aborting if you run into a hacker, I dont have alt f4 macroed like some of you guys must have but not only is it impossible to abort quick enough to avoid a mass slay, there is a new version of the thunderdome script that locks the abort function on your ingame menu, and kills your character if you alt+f4....

So, yeah..

• Like 1

I stopped really going out of cherno and electro. Now I just look for friendly players see if they need a gun, food, drink, or medical supplies then move on to next. Yeah I get killed a lot but it's just no point of me going to starry or airfield because I will be hack killed.

• Like 1

happened just now in 33 mins of play! no, i didn't record it but i do have the tale end where the unarmed man just walks up to me and loots me after hearing a massive static sound breaking my body.