Jamrock990

Do most people just turn up Gamma during night?

NZ for me, any servers over 150 lag like crap...

I've had 'interleaving' turned off on my line, so any AUS / NS server is below 50ms, some NZ servers are as low as 20ms. BF3, some are 10 to 12ms.

I've only got 5 to 10 servers to choose from, have to be quicky quick with the clicky click to get a slot on a low ms server...

Gamma doesnt do anything for me....which is why i use the nvidia control panel instead, which practically makes it like im using NVG's. I wish i didnt have to, but surrendering myself to the mercy of other players who do this for some sense of superiority because of 'immersion' isnt my idea of fun.

Hi' date=' I am reality and I am going to provide you with a distinction between three things which are fundamentally different.

[/quote']

Since you see fit to use insults, I'll come out and admit that using abstract reasoning in present company probably wasn't the best of ideas.

Again, you're looking at it in the wrong way, making direct comparisons rather than seeing that there is no spoon. A Persian and a Mountain Lion are both cats, but it's quite obvious which would win in a fight.

There are different kinds of cheating, you've admitted as much.

However, it doesn't make it suddenly ok to unleash a Persian in a field of Mice, just because it's not a Mountain Lion.

Both of these are forms of cheating; one is more extreme than the other, sure, but I hope that you can understand that at their core; at some deep, philosophical level; they are one and the same.

Hi' date=' I am reality and I am going to provide you with a distinction between three things which are fundamentally different.

[/quote']

Since you see fit to use insults, I'll come out and admit that using abstract reasoning in present company probably wasn't the best of ideas.

Again, you're looking at it in the wrong way, making direct comparisons rather than seeing that there is no spoon. A Persian and a Mountain Lion are both cats, but it's quite obvious which would win in a fight.

However, it doesn't make it suddenly ok to unleash a Persian in a field of Mice, just because it's not a Mountain Lion.

Both of these are forms of cheating; one is more extreme than the other, sure, but I hope that you can understand that at their core; at some deep, philosophical level; they are one and the same.

R15Zg.jpg

A very hand-wavy response, but I suppose there comes a time where one must throw in the towel.

@James, do the nvidia controls enable you to see despite your in-game HDR settings? Curious.

I don't play at night, it's just too dark to see anything at all and I won't be altering game settings to enjoy a game that I like to play. I'll stick to day time for now.

A very hand-wavy response' date=' but I suppose there comes a time where one must throw in the towel.

@James, do the nvidia controls enable you to see despite your in-game HDR settings? Curious.

[/quote']Choosing not to continue a bullshit and incorrect conversation with an ignorant, pseudo intellectual =/= throwing in the towel.

It does however equal me leaving with my sanity intact, good day.

Turning gamma up alone doesn't really do much unless the moon is out. Turning up gamma AND HDR gets you seeing outlines of objects much, much better, but I still can't really see anything unless it's really moving.

Also, being able to see nothing at night is not fun, nor realistic. I still think that flashlights should be incredibly common, or given to players on spawn considering everyone living in the present day probably has a flashlight somewhere in their house, but not necissarily a gun or flares.

That's one way of dealing with it, but you really do miss out on the fun.

The compensation however now, is that servers are only about half full when it's night because of so many people don't like to play at night.

More reason to be safe and throw flares all around.

I don't adjust my gamma since I'm one of those realism freaks and don't really see the point of using what I see as an exploit (opinion) to gain an advantage over someone else. I'd prefer to just play the game as it was intended. I'd be happier if others did the same, but what can you do, some people just like to "win".

On the other hand, I was playing last night, running through a field for what seemed like forever. I stopped to throw a flare and I realized I'd just been running up against a fence :dodgy: Not sure for how long, but I would guess at least 2 - 5 minutes.

I don't adjust my gamma since I'm one of those realism freaks and don't really see the point of using what I see as an exploit (opinion) to gain an advantage over someone else. I'd prefer to just play the game as it was intended. I'd be happier if others did the same' date=' but what can you do, some people just like to "win".

On the other hand, I was playing last night, running through a field for what seemed like forever. I stopped to throw a flare and I realized I'd just been running up against a fence :dodgy: Not sure for how long, but I would guess at least 2 - 5 minutes.

[/quote']

The human eyes adjust to the lack of light over a course of minutes. THATS realistic. So maybe you can adjust ur gamma over the course of time until you die or something since your into getting immersed:)

Anyone who isn't new to DayZ turns up their gamma on night servers. You'd be dumb not too.

The human eyes adjust to the lack of light over a course of minutes. THATS realistic. So maybe you can adjust ur gamma over the course of time until you die or something since your into getting immersed:)

You know, I actually like that idea. Maybe I can work with it and try to convince myself that it's okay.

If everyone just cranks up the gamma at night, why don't the developers just make it less dark (I know, and I'm not trying to start that argument again). Actually, maybe the reason it is so dark is because the developers assume everyone will just crank up the gamma until they can see, so they set the "desired" darkness at maximum gamma :P If they haven't done this, maybe they should. I vote for making it darker at night!

I don't turn it up. I run around almost blind then I throw flares when I believe I see a building or something.

I do it, just to be able to see ANYTHING. Without it, the night is literally a sheet of black, and then a ridiculously light sky. Apparently the terrain just absorbs ambiant light lol.

considering the moon only comes out like 2 hours before sunrise I don't have an issue with gamma raising. Moon should be out (if its in cycle) by the time the game is pitch dark(~7 or 8).

I do. HDR to max, gamma max and brightness about 75. It actually looks like real night then. With normal settings its like playing in a cave. When your eyes adjust, even starlight can provide a good bit of light. I've yet to see the moon rise.

I do it' date=' just to be able to see ANYTHING. Without it, the night is literally a sheet of black, and then a ridiculously light sky. Apparently the terrain just absorbs ambiant light lol.

[/quote']

This. I either have to turn up Gamma, or I might as well play with my monitor turned off, as more often than not, night time is literally pitch black for me. I can see stars in the sky, and that's essentially it.

I can totally relate to the guy who posted earlier about unknowingly running up against a fence for several minutes, because that'd be me if I tried to move in the default blackness of night.

Since you see fit to use insults' date=' I'll come out and admit that using abstract reasoning in present company probably wasn't the best of ideas.

[/quote']

With the invoking of philosophy, the rape of semicolons, and the terrible double-back analogies, I'm beginning to think this is some kind of mean joke.

I also turn it up, always. Sad because basically I love how it feels and looks to play with the ingame tools (flares, flashlight, chems), however, it attracts too much attention while bandits are around.

As for realism, if I wouldnt be absolutely starving, I'd just sleep at night and dont risk bumping into a zombie first and then getting stuck on a fence when I run...while not seeing that I got stuck (ok, exaggerated but you get my meaning)

At night, I never alter my graphics setting in any way, that would be cheating.

What I do is change my server to a daytime one. ;)

My gamma goes back and forth between 1.0 and 1.2. Anything higher than that gets way to grainy. It doesn't seem to help me much.

My brightness is already set to 1.5 (helps bring out the colours best for me) but I don't change the gamma, that is always at 1.0.

I refuse to believe any of you is actually so stupid you'd think this is not an exploit.

I'm absolutely certain the brightness and gamma settings are there so you can optimize the brightness and gamma for your monitor and gaming environment. That's what the settings are intended for, but unfortunate side-effect is that they can be exploited to gain unfair advantage in the multiplayer game.

It can't really be fixed without ruining game graphics and majority will have to use it for fair gameplay, but that sucks and it's still an exploit just like server hopping, disconnecting to avoid deaths and so on. Anyone can do it, but it doesn't mean it's intentional and doesn't have a negative impact on the game.