Jamrock990

Do most people just turn up Gamma during night?

It would be more fun IMO, if you could NOT turn up the gamma at night time. It is PITCH BLACK, and you can't see a damn thing so it is pretty hectic. I just started playing, but saw someone turn up their gamma in a stream so I tried it and well, you can play just as well at night as you can during daytime for the most part by turning gamma up.

I feel like i'd be at a disadvantage especially against other people (PKers) if I didn't turn up my gamma.

Thoughts? Do you do the same?

Its a disadvantage against me,because when I turn gamma up I still see almost nothing =/

And it feels really out of place - almost as bad as using map outside of the game.

I will admit that I do turn up gamma during the night time, but I find that half the time, it doesn't make a difference. If there is no moon on the server, or heavy forecast is set, you can't even see 2m in front of you ubless you attach flares or chemlights to yourself, regardless of what gamma setting you set.

Yes many do, but using your flares to move and find more flares, before you run out is really a blast, even knowing some of the people you meet have maxed their gamma, because the darkness is too hard and scary for them.

I am asking seriously though. I see the thread at the top (stickied I guess?) about people complaining the night is too dark. Why not just turn up the gamma?

I am asking seriously though. I see the thread at the top (stickied I guess?) about people complaining the night is too dark. Why not just turn up the gamma?

Honestly, that only helps when the moon is out, if the moon is not up it's basically pitch black regardless of gamma settings.

I will admit that I do turn up gamma during the night time' date=' but I find that half the time, it doesn't make a difference. If there is no moon on the server, or heavy forecast is set, you can't even see 2m in front of you, regardless of what gamma setting you set.

[/quote']

Oh well I have only played about ~30minutes. Spent about 2 hours just trying to get on servers and am doing that at the moment as well.

But the game I was in, in the starting area I saw a couple flares and ran to them. Thankfully, the player was friendly. I ended up running out of ammo for my pistol and got killed by zombies. (Do they ever STOP running after you?? Jeez.)

But on topic, I turned my gamma up and it was like literally night and day, but in this case day and day. I could make out my surroundings quite easily, and surprisingly it didn't destroy the picture quality like I thought it would... just made everything that much brighter so I could make out a bandit in the distance that took some shots and ran :D.

I don't get why people turn up gamma, this game is what you make it and if you want to ruin the night experience then that's your loss. Far too many people play this game to 'win' when really there is no 'win'.

Reading through the forums it depends on your systems drivers and monitor as well. Depending on the combination of hardware and software it may / may not work.

You have to turn the HDR on Very High and then max your Brightness and Gamma. I actually find it *easier* to see at night than day as all ground elements turn a single shade of grey and players are black blobs. The contrast is insane.

Naturally, I find it fun and engaging to play legit at night, but all it takes is 1 person abusing it to make you realise that you're playing at a distinct disadvantage. I hope something can be done about this.

I don't get why people turn up gamma' date=' this game is what you make it and if you want to ruin the night experience then that's your loss. Far too many people play this game to 'win' when really there is no 'win'.

[/quote']This is a competitive online multiplayer game, if you don't turn up your gamma at night you are purposely and knowingly putting yourself at a huge disadvantage which doesn't make any sense in all honesty, this is not a singleplayer game.

With that kind of mindset a person like yourself with undoubtedly not progress very far and be killed constantly by others all for the sake of the "experience".

People such as yourself (not saying you, just in general) usually also call people like us cheaters for using every advantage at our disposal which in itself is ridiculous. Before I had night vision some guy told me I should be banned for 'exploiting' the gamma system. That geek actually referred to a function and option in the game as an exploit.

but all it takes is 1 person abusing it to make you realise that you're playing at a distinct disadvantage. I hope something can be done about this.

You see the insanity here, "abusing it", abusing what exactly? A game option?

but all it takes is 1 person abusing it to make you realise that you're playing at a distinct disadvantage. I hope something can be done about this.

You see the insanity here' date=' "abusing it", abusing what exactly? A game option?

[/quote']

You see the insanity here, "a game option", all bugs / exploits come from using game options in a particular way that have an unintended side-effect.

In a game with night vision, I'm 110% sure that the devs did not intend on people using gamma to provide the same effect, thus invalidating its very existance.

You see the insanity here' date=' "a game option", all bugs / exploits come from using game options in a particular way that have an unintended side-effect.

In a game with night vision, I'm 110% sure that the devs did not intend on people using gamma to provide the same effect, thus invalidating its very existance.

[/quote']It's not a bug, it's not an exploit, it's not cheating, it's simply a setting in Arma 2 which can be used in Arma 2 all the same as in this mod including online.

Had it been removed in this mod and people still found a way to do it I would be inclined to agree but that is not the case so what I said still stands.

P.S. You don't know what the devs did and did not intend, conjecture does not help in getting a point across.

Naturally' date=' I find it fun and engaging to play legit at night, but all it takes is 1 person abusing it to make you realise that you're playing at a distinct disadvantage. I hope something can be done about this.

[/quote']

Start with a Flash Light? You then have to find batteries?

Or make Flash Lights more common in built up towns. Everyone starts with Road Flares, you make it into Cherno using a Road Flare then you should be rewarded with finding a Flash Light.

Chem Lights should be in Military Bases and Air Fields as they are better then Road Flares.

----------

The fact is that even if you change the mod some how so that you can't change ArmA II base brightness and gamma settings - People can still do it with their Graphics Drivers + Monitor OSD.

I never used the gamma/brightness turned up until I was killed a couple times by people who do. I was killed in the middle of a forest and when I went to claim my body (with gamma/brightness turned up) I could see the bandit and killed him, and found no NVG's on his body. Yes the hypocrisy is ripe however, I was sick and tired of being at a disadvantage.. And forcing a certain gamma/brightness option is definitely not an option because I have seen the great difference between two setups and it differs too greatly. But at least it doesn't work when the moon is down =)

You see the insanity here' date=' "a game option", all bugs / exploits come from using game options in a particular way that have an unintended side-effect.

[/quote']It's not a bug, it's not an exploit, it's not cheating, it's simply a setting in Arma 2 which can be used in Arma 2 all the same as in this mod including online.

Had it been removed in this mod and people still found a way to do it I would be inclined to agree but that is not the case so what I said still stands.

And aim-botting isn't a bug, it's not an exploit, it's not cheating, it's simply deciphering and acting according to a games run-time memory that is simply provided without encryption all the same as in this mod.

It doesn't matter how you rationalise it, it's clear that it isn't *supposed* to be used to this effect. Brightness and Gamma settings are in there so people with different brands of monitor can make the adjustments necessary to see the game as intended.

Why would anyone add Flares, Chemlights, Flashlights, Flashlights on Guns; objects designed for seeing at night if you were supposed to increase your video settings for the same effect?

The fact is that even if you change the mod some how so that you can't change ArmA II base brightness and gamma settings - People can still do it with their Graphics Drivers + Monitor OSD.

Without the HDR setting, the effect is quite a bit harder to achieve, albeit still possible.

As to the supply of light-creating objects, the flares are easy enough to navigate with, but that's not the problem here. The problem is, why go through the trouble if someone else is going to avoid it entirely?

And aim-botting isn't a bug' date=' it's not an exploit, it's not cheating, it's simply deciphering and acting according to a games run-time memory that is simply provided without encryption all the same as in this mod.

It doesn't matter how you rationalise it, it's clear that it isn't *supposed* to be used to this effect. Brightness and Gamma settings are in there so people with different brands of monitor can make the adjustments necessary to see the game as intended.

Why would anyone add Flares, Chemlights, Flashlights, Flashlights on Guns; objects designed for seeing at night if you were supposed to increase your video settings for the same effect?

Without the HDR setting, the effect is quite a bit harder to achieve, albeit still possible.

As to the supply of light-creating objects, the flares are easy enough to navigate with, but that's not the problem here. The problem is, why go through the trouble if someone else is going to avoid it entirely?

Did you really just compare aimbot which is a cheat that edits memory and game code through the use of a 3rd party application to changing the settings of your gamma and say it's not a cheat?

You ended any hope of people ever taking you serious and this conversation in the first sentence....

Pro tip, you need to be able to run MAX HDR mode to get special gamma night vision!

Did you really just compare aimbot which is a cheat that edits memory and game code through the use of a 3rd party application to changing the settings of your gamma and say it's not a cheat?

You ended any hope of people ever taking you serious and this conversation in the first sentence....

Yeah, I think he's a little handicapped..

@Krisko For serious? My buddy, almost has his settings cranked, know why? Because it is the only way to make the game look normal.. Different systems require different settings to make the game look the same. Yeah, sure people abuse it (Yeah, me) but it is the way of the road bud.. Way of the fucking road..

It's not the direct comparison that you should be looking into' date=' but the fundamental argument behind it.

In both cases, you are making use of something supplied by the game for a purpose that it clearly wasn't intended for.

As another poster in the thread said, you can also modify the brightness and gamma settings in your OS and monitor, are these not also 3rd party applications?

While it's quite obvious that aim botting is unquestionably cheating, the fundamental construct behind it is not all that different from changing your brightness and gamma.

In both cases, you are using something supplied by the game, potentially exacerbating its use through a third party, and using it in order to gain an edge over other players.

@Krisko For serious? My buddy, almost has his settings cranked, know why? Because it is the only way to make the game look normal.. Different systems require different settings to make the game look the same.

I do believe I said as much;

"Brightness and Gamma settings are in there so people with different brands of monitor can make the adjustments necessary to see the game as intended."

It's not the direct comparison that you should be looking into' date=' but the fundamental argument behind it.

In both cases, you are making use of something supplied by the game for a purpose that it clearly wasn't intended for.

As another poster in the thread said, you can also modify the brightness and gamma settings in your OS and monitor, are these not also 3rd party applications?

While it's quite obvious that aim botting is unquestionably cheating, the fundamental construct behind it is not all that different from changing your brightness and gamma.

In both cases, you are using something supplied by the game, potentially exacerbating its use through a third party, and using it in order to gain an edge over other players.

[/quote']Hi, I am reality and I am going to provide you with a distinction between three things which are fundamentally different.

Aimbot, the root code to run this is not actually in the game in a capacity that it would function for a player, it must be injected with a 3rd party program. There is no option in the game for this nor would there ever be.

In game gamma, this is something that is included in the game and a unlocked variable that you can change at will. There is no hindrance of this or restriction on it as it's actually an option provided for the player.

Control panel gamma, if the game has a restriction on in game gamma and you override it by doing this you are technically cheating by circumventing the restriction to gain an advantage.

You need to stop talking.

[b']As another poster in the thread said, you can also modify the brightness and gamma settings in your OS and monitor, are these not also 3rd party applications?

-----

Are you serious?

Seriously, Hacks which inject code into memory so that they fundamentally change the game in your favour is / are not the same as using the drivers and monitor settings to alter the set up of your display...

A person or people that use hacks have maliciously made an effort to break the foundations of the game for basically LULZ...A person that alters their set up so that they can enjoy basically playing the game is completely different.

If you want a compassion to this, check out BF3 'M26 DART GLITCH'. Basically a the game developer patched the game and people found out that with a certain weapon + accessory combination you had a instant kill weapon. This isn't a hack and it's available to everyone in the game, everyone who's played long enough to unlock the weapons need to use / abuse the glitch.

Same as Gamma / Brightness is not a hack, everyone can choose to do it if they want to. Everyone has a right to free opinion and choice, though be ready to be challenged on that opinion and choice and defend with knowledge or fact or just leave...

Shit doesn't work for me, but hey I live just down the road from Silicone Valley............. sub 150ms ping to every server out there.

It's always daylight for me!

I love my New Zealand servers at 7 am (NZ time) when it's just me and some Kiwi who just woke up.