Sign in to follow this  
lnfighter

Are there vehicle location hacks? or admin abuse here?

Sorry kiddo, not going to teach you or your friends how to track players. Try somewhere else. It's been suggested that the log files should be encrypted, and that's all that matters.

Edited by Strife

Sorry kiddo, not going to teach you or your friends how to track players. Try somewhere else. It's been suggested that the log files should be encrypted, and that's all that matters.

I'm not asking you to teach me any such thing, I'm not interested in cheating, but your bullshit straw man is noted.

I am just asking you to get your admin friend (if he exists) to come here and confirm it, in an environment which includes his peers (other admins). You don't seem willing to do so, what other conclusions am I supposed to draw other than you're making baseless accusations out of some sort of butthurt?

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

Sounds like strife is butthurt to the max. Guess getting called out on a video game forum board is too much stress for his kiddie ego before naptime. You've provided no proof, and until you do whatever you say is akin to retard babble ignored in an insanity ward

I don't want to look like I'm on some sort of crusade, but holy balls. I bet admins get sick to the back teeth of being accused of things like this. I've seen them accused of everything from using kill commands, turning players in to zombies, aimbotting/wallhacking, and now even "tracking players and vehicles".

Just to re-iterate: Many admins have said on this board that they don't have these magical powers, put up or shut up.

You weren't "just asking" me to get my friend to come here to confirm it. All you did was attack me and come off as an immature cunt. Why exactly should I bother pulling logs to showyou anything?

EDIT:

log removed

Edited by Strife

No, I really was just asking you to back up your accusations, and anyone reading this thread can see that as well as your almost hilarious over-reaction to being called out. Indeed, I'm clearly the immature cunt here. Clearly.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn
  • Like 1

As a server admin, I can tell you that admins do have such information to a certain extent. Admins cannot pull up a game map with car, tent or player locations. However, admins can see the coordinates of said game elements though they are not the same coordinates that are used in game. I personally don't know what system DayZ or Arma uses for coordinates and if I did I wouldn't give out the means to potential abuse from admins out there. Bearing all this in mind, unless you had a map with the coordinates that DayZ uses that you could cross reference with regular coordinates then player positioning would be hard to follow.

And by admins, I mean those who have access to the ACP. Not just in game admins who can kick/ban etc.

Edited by JakeXP
  • Like 2

No, I really was just asking you to back up your accusations, and anyone reading this thread can see that as well as your almost hilarious over-reaction to being called out. Indeed, I'm clearly the immature cunt here. Clearly.

You forget the part where your first reply to me you were calling me retarded and calling me a liar. You editing your post and removing it doesnt mean it didn't happen.

If you want people to take you seriously, or you want something from them don't start insulting and attacking them when they're trying to help.

Edited by Strife

You forget the part where your first reply to me you were calling me retarded and calling me a liar. You editing your post removing it doesnt mean it didn't happen.

If you want people to take you seriously, or you want something from them try not insulting and attacking them when they're trying to help.

It didn't edit my first post in this thread, it still quite clearly says I called you a retard and said you're making accusations. Which might as well be calling you out as a liar. I edit my posts a lot but it's pretty much exclusively to correct bad spelling/grammar or add additional points that came to mind, I have no shame in calling you a liar.

You're clearly not "trying to help", you're trying to stir shit. Did an admin run in to you in the woods and kill you or your vehicle? An admin just said above you that the logs you're talking about don't contain the same co-ordinates as the game world.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

Except an admin just told you he doesn't know what system is used for co-ordinates and that it would be hard to follow.

Was my guess right? Did an admin run across you in the woods and put a .50 through you or your vehicle? Are you butthurt?

I'm not trying to troll you, seriously. I just think admins probably get sick to death of these accusations of having magic powers they can abuse, I know I would. And you can feel free to whinge and be butthurt all you want, I was going to have some dinner and catch up on True Blood anyway eventually.

It's a completely different coordinate system used from the in game grid references or what the GPS uses. However, having said that, it would be highly possible to create a new map that cross references both sets of coordinates and allows for locations to be picked out more quickly. My guess is though that more than 50% of admins don't know that locations are accessible and out of the 50% remaining, a very, very slim percentage know what to do with the information.

• Like 2

Except an admin just told you he doesn't know what system is used for co-ordinates and that it would be hard to follow.

I don't think you follow. The co-ordinates of players and vehicles are in the logs. That point is not debatable, and fairly easily verified by anyone who owns a server. So what if the co-ordinate system used isn't identical to that used in-game? Converting points between two co-ordinate systems is quite literally high-school level mathematics, and anyone with a decent programming/scripting background can write something to automate those conversions for them in about half an hour. Sure, you'll need to some trial and error to see how the two systems line up, but as long as you know your own position in both systems (which obviously you do, since as an admin you can see yourself in the logs and you can always know your own position ingame) it can easily be done, and very likely has been done.

Not all admins are bad people, and if they're not specifically trying admins can't easily see where all players and vehicles are. If they are trying, however, the information is readily available and it doesn't take much effort to find out exactly where all the vehicles on a server are.

Admin abuse is a very real problem that should not be downplayed. Admins hoarding all the vehicles on their server through illegitimate means is just as detrimental to the game as hackers are.

Edited by D'BrickShaw

What exactly are you whining about/for? I'm not attacking admins at all. I've never had an issue with any admins. Please read before you start rambling about nothing.

Edited by Strife

Strife how about all us server admins lock our servers so you can't play for free?

These kinds of posts are far more concerning than Strife's posts on perfectly valid issues. If you really are an admin, a quick look through your server logs should verify that yes, the kind of abuse Strife is talking about is absolutely possible. Admins have full access to the DayZ server log, which contains every single database transaction between your server and the hive. This includes player co-ordinates and names, all the items in every players inventory, save locations of tents, locations of vehicles whenever anyone enters/exits them, etc. If you're a server admin and feel unfairly threatened by these kinds of accusations, it means one of two things:

a ) You're ignorant of the true extent of your abilities as an admin (which is probably for the best really, considering the amount of abuse that already occurs).

or

b ) You're already using these techniques, and want to shout down the messenger to keep it quiet as long as you can.

Here's an example of a map made using the admin server logs to track player positions:

xjPWT.jpg

Edited by D'BrickShaw
  • Like 6

These kinds of posts are far more concerning than Strife's posts on perfectly valid issues. If you really are an admin, a quick look through your server logs should verify that yes, the kind of abuse Strife is talking about is absolutely possible. Admins have full access to the DayZ server log, which contains every single database transaction between your server and the hive. This includes player co-ordinates and names, all the items in every players inventory, save locations of tents, locations of vehicles whenever anyone enters/exits them, etc. If you're a server admin and feel unfairly threatened by these kinds of accusations, it means one of two things:

a ) You're ignorant of the true extent of your abilities as an admin (which is probably for the best really, considering the amount of abuse that already occurs).

or

b ) You're already using these techniques, and want to shout down the messenger to keep it quiet as long as you can.

Here's an example of a map made using the admin server logs to track player positions:

xjPWT.jpg

Beans to you sir. You have just won.
  • Like 3

Which server do you administer? Please, tell us all publicly.

I've seen enough admins on these boards say they can't do shit like that, precisely because retards like you make accusations of them being able to teleport players and use kill commands.

Login, move a few meters and I'll tell you exactly where you are within 30 seconds, tops.

It's very useful for catching hackers, it's rather obvious when there's one asshole moving at impossible speeds across cherno while the place gets firebombed.

• Like 3

And actually, that's the entire reason I got into the log in the first place. It's painfully obvious when someone dupes, when someone has things they're not supposed to, etc. I don't find it 'fun' to use for anything else, because having a bunch of vehicles is pointless, and the entire thrill of the game is never knowing when accidentally shooting your clan member and having a guy in a building 800m away hear it and look out and proceed to one-shot both of you before you even know what happened. Zombies are irrelevant, player interaction is the adrenaline and losing 'stuff' is the fear of death. I mean really. You're there, alone, in the middle of a town without military spawns, where no other players have been (or especially died) since the restart. You have one L85, then you have three, it's not hard to figure out.

The hard part is when they bitch at DayZ staff and try to get you blacklisted, so far nobody has done that to us.

Edit: And Strife's entire fear is that the one thing we have right now to bitchslap hackers and cheaters will be removed and/or abused by admins.

Edited by thekab
  • Like 2

It didn't edit my first post in this thread, it still quite clearly says I called you a retard and said you're making accusations. Which might as well be calling you out as a liar. I edit my posts a lot but it's pretty much exclusively to correct bad spelling/grammar or add additional points that came to mind, I have no shame in calling you a liar.

You're clearly not "trying to help", you're trying to stir shit. Did an admin run in to you in the woods and kill you or your vehicle? An admin just said above you that the logs you're talking about don't contain the same co-ordinates as the game world.

admins can read logs and they do have info of locations of loot/vehicles/tents/players.

Hackers are required to teleport/thunderdome/inventory-hack/insta-kill/invis/invincible/etc.

Both are issues, one can be solved by rocket. The other will bury this game.

• Like 1

This is disconcerting. I apologize to you strife for not knowing this was possible; however, you were acting combative and extremely abrasive. I'm an admin for a server but do not have the power to access the logs, as I'm just in place should the server need a restart or a hacker need a ban. People tend to think that these sorts of admins have powers equivalent to hackers; though now it's apparent server admins with log access can easily abuse such information. I'd only expect that kind of assholishness on a russian server though

• Like 2

This is disconcerting. I apologize to you strife for not knowing this was possible; however, you were acting combative and extremely abrasive. I'm an admin for a server but do not have the power to access the logs, as I'm just in place should the server need a restart or a hacker need a ban. People tend to think that these sorts of admins have powers equivalent to hackers; though now it's apparent server admins with log access can easily abuse such information. I'd only expect that kind of assholishness on a russian server though

I tend to treat people as they treat others or myself. I don't hold grudges or care about fights or what was said by the next day :P
  • Like 1