cutzero

Is rocket satisfied with us?

i think the reason it is so popular now is because it's a mod and not a purchasable game' date=' i don't think you'd even get near 1/4 of the players

[/quote']

Of course that's part of the reason it's popular but there are LOTS of free mods out there, NONE of which have reached this sort of "over night" popularity so simply being a free mod isn't telling the whole story.

Further how can you even speculate at how many would or would not purchase a full version of the game? Obviously it is NOT a full game and even as a mod it still has a lot of work left to be done so not many would expect the current state of the *mod* to be equal to the current price tags associated with today's "stand alone games". It is an "alpha" after all. None the less that hasn't stopped literally tens of thousands of people from buying "it" (A2:CO) in the last month alone.

Again, I wonder what a "full game" would even look like. There's basically two paths to this thought experiment... licensing the source code to A2:CO and/or A3 OR going with an entirely different engine.

On the ARMA path we have the possibility of "help" in every sense of the word from BIS. It is in their best interest to keep any future growth in their house: as a free mod which is certainly helping sales, as a mod or paid DLC for A3 which again would almost certainly provide a BIG boost to A3 sales, or even by making the source available at a lucrative price. I have trouble believing that BIS hasn't already locked this up with a fat check and a contract already.

On the different engine path the first question that comes to my mind is "what engine"? I'm sure rocket likes the A2:CO engine but it's also quite possibly the only one under the sun that is/was available for anything of this scale, with such a rapid deployment. Sure you could try different engines but are any just as capable? And even if they were would development be at a point that 100,000+ people would be able to play test the alpha already? I have my doubts in both cases. "Today" and a year (or two) from today are NOT the same thing in the game market world.

How much money to make it happen as a stand alone and how long before we could taste some of it? Pre-orders for playable alpha/beta keys are my favored option but that's neither here nor there.

Certainly there is a lot of money, potentially at least, riding on this. The question is... what does rocket want, in a perfect world, and how much would it cost?

Your entire is garbage. I suggest you quit your bullshittery and listen to me, I disagree.

Who in their right minds would pay more then $5 for a code-only mod with only some new content and no new islands.

Your entire is garbage. I suggest you quit your bullshittery and listen to me' date=' I disagree.

Who in their right minds would pay more then $5 for a code-only mod with only some new content and no new islands.

[/quote']

Please READ THE THREAD.

Nobody is suggesting paying for a MOD.

The suggestion was how to price a standalone game, with entirely new content. ARRRGGGGH people don't bother to read!!!! RAAAAAAAAAGE

Edit: and this isn't a code only mod.

Your entire is garbage. I suggest you quit your bullshittery and listen to me' date=' I disagree.

[/quote']

Please READ THE THREAD.

Nobody is suggesting paying for a MOD.

The suggestion was how to price a standalone game, with entirely new content. ARRRGGGGH people don't bother to read!!!! RAAAAAAAAAGE

Edit: and this isn't a code only mod.

I skimmed the last page and thought it was sufficient. I'd only pay more then $5 if it had its own island n shit, if it dident i'd be all like fuck that shit magn rocket bullshit.

EDIT: I havent seen anything that isn't from ArmA2 content wise so far so as far as I'm concerned its code-only.

I skimmed the last page and thought it was sufficient. I'd only pay more then $5 if it had its own island n shit' date=' if it dident i'd be all like fuck that shit magn rocket bullshit.

EDIT: I havent seen anything that isn't from ArmA2 content wise so far so as far as I'm concerned its code-only.

[/quote']

Pretty much all the items are made by me. ArmA2 only displays army bags for items. The crossbow. The whinny. etc...

You make the concept art, 3d model and then texture?

Also, fuck, this is why I hate people.

I know you need to be the public figure and all, but I say: stop answering them.

Seriously, if you want to I buy several copies so that you don't lose anything by ignoring this fuckholes.

You make the concept art' date=' 3d model and then texture?

I know you need to be the public figure and all, but I say: stop answering them.

Seriously, if you want to I buy several copies so that you don't lose anything by ignoring this fuckholes.

[/quote']

I know,... i'm not good with forums. Especially when coding too long... I tend to raaaaaaaaaaaaaage. Anyway, I'll go back to the update for a bit to cool off :)

I skimmed the last page and thought it was sufficient. I'd only pay more then $5 if it had its own island n shit' date=' if it dident i'd be all like fuck that shit magn rocket bullshit.

[/quote']

Pretty much all the items are made by me. ArmA2 only displays army bags for items. The crossbow. The whinny. etc...

wow man fuck that shit I hate it when im wrong on the internet

[/quote']

i am strong IRL i fuck u up

I know' date='... i'm not good with forums. Especially when coding too long... I tend to raaaaaaaaaaaaaage. Anyway, I'll go back to the update for a bit to cool off :)

[/quote']

This is why we all love Rocket :D

Other than me that is...

i am strong IRL i fuck u up

Oh shit man' date=' I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it. Please don't fuck me up.

[/quote']

Oh damn man, He..she..er, it? Is going to hunt you down and fuck you up!

@Humanity, Calling you stupid would be an insult to stupid people.

I say stay a mod. I believe you'd get more attention and send a more stronger message to companies and players that way.

Please do explain this.

Dude, I get exactly what he's saying. Look at what all of the big game company's are turning into nowadays? EA sells downloadable content... on release day. They use online passes to charge people who buy used games, and to charge them subscription fee's ONTOP of xbox live fee's. Thats why they got voted Worst Company by Consumerist.

And look at what happened with Blizzard this week. Hundreds of people have claimed that their accounts have been hacked. People with the authenticater are claiming they've been hacked. It's all over the gaming and tech media. It even surfaced up on infosecurity-magazine.com. Blizzard Denies that anyone hacked them, and says that an "Extremely Small" amount of people contacted them regarding an account hacking. Then they slap everyone in the face again by reminding the people who got hacked to take proper security measures to secure there accounts. They've done similar things in WoW.

Your sending a message to company's like EA and Blizzard, letting them know that you can have a sizable impact on THEIR industry (I mean.. come on. Lets face it, they're buying out EVERYONE). Look at what you did to the steam leaderboards.

You can start a fucking revolution in the gaming industry. If your truly passionate about what your doing, people will help you find a way to pay for it. Accepting enough money that's required to develop and maintain the game, isn't being greedy in my opinion. I mean fuck man, you could turn into an organization like CentOS, or FreeBSD and go the non profit sector. I haven't done much research on whats out there for 501c3's and gaming, but I bet you could gain alot of support going that route.

The world is changing man. Today's generation of people are starting to wake up and see the bullshit that the government, mass media and corporations lay on their plates. A revolution in the gaming industry is whats needed right now. And with whats going on in the world today, a ton of people would totally get behind a project that does just that.*cough*dayz*cough*.

You hate taking donations right? What is your stance on volunteers? I for one would jump at the opportunity to work with the DayZ Dev team. I'm a Microsoft and Redhat Network Engineer, with a giant love for games. Being able apply my skills to help build DayZ would be amazing. There is a Volunteer Server Admin group being made by Mojo right now, that would be perfect for that. A Knowledgable group of admins and engineers is what you guys need to handle the loads of server support requests we see on the forums every day.

I say stay a mod. I believe you'd get more attention and send a more stronger message to companies and players that way.

Please do explain this.

Dude' date=' I get exactly what he's saying. Look at what all of the big game company's are turning into nowadays? EA sells downloadable content... on release day. They use online passes to charge people who buy used games, and to charge them subscription fee's ONTOP of xbox live fee's. Thats why they got voted Worst Company by Consumerist.

And look at what happened with Blizzard this week. Hundreds of people have claimed that their accounts have been hacked. People with the authenticater are claiming they've been hacked. It's all over the gaming and tech media. It even surfaced up on infosecurity-magazine.com. Blizzard Denies that anyone hacked them, and says that an "Extremely Small" amount of people contacted them regarding an account hacking. Then they slap everyone in the face again by reminding the people who got hacked to take proper security measures to secure there accounts. They've done similar things in WoW.

Your sending a message to company's like EA and Blizzard, letting them know that you can have a sizable impact on THEIR industry (I mean.. come on. Lets face it, they're buying out EVERYONE). Look at what you did to the steam leaderboards.

You can start a fucking revolution in the gaming industry. If your truly passionate about what your doing, people will help you find a way to pay for it. Accepting enough money that's required to develop and maintain the game, isn't being greedy in my opinion. I mean fuck man, you could turn into an organization like CentOS, or FreeBSD and go the non profit sector. I haven't done much research on whats out there for 501c3's and gaming, but I bet you could gain alot of support going that route.

The world is changing man. Today's generation of people are starting to wake up and see the bullshit that the government, mass media and corporations lay on their plates. A revolution in the gaming industry is whats needed right now. And with whats going on in the world today, a ton of people would totally get behind a project that does just that.*cough*dayz*cough*.

You hate taking donations right? What is your stance on volunteers? I for one would jump at the opportunity to work with the DayZ Dev team. I'm a Microsoft and Redhat Network Engineer, with a giant love for games. Being able apply my skills to help build DayZ would be amazing. There is a Volunteer Server Admin group being made by Mojo right now, that would be perfect for that. A Knowledgable group of admins and engineers is what you guys need to handle the loads of server support requests we see on the forums every day.

[/quote']

I don't think a standalone game would send any different message.

"Look, he did a mod and people loved it, now he can make a game without any publisher being a dickhead and trying to dictate what he can put in his game. It means we all can do this, it means there are no rules for what game should be. It means we can have our products, our ways, and still compete with the big shots".

Please do explain this.

Dude' date=' I get exactly what he's saying. Look at what all of the big game company's are turning into nowadays? EA sells downloadable content... on release day. They use online passes to charge people who buy used games, and to charge them subscription fee's ONTOP of xbox live fee's. Thats why they got voted Worst Company by Consumerist.

[/quote']

I don't think a standalone game would send any different message.

"Look, he did a mod and people loved it, now he can make a game without any publisher being a dickhead and trying to dictate what he can put in his game. It means we all can do this, it means there are no rules for what game should be. It means we can have our products, our ways, and still compete with the big shots".

Exactly. It sends a message out to all of the big guys in gaming out there saying that this independent developer was able to make a game that rivals the shit out of your games. And it's not even a game. It's a mod. It's a mod that's DIFFERENT. The message being sent is that the gaming industry needs change. I could see DayZ being a Community Supported game.

See' date=' I just don't understand that. I've denied requests for money. Some of the requests have been very sizable. I have done this because money fucks things up. I actually think that when I said that was one of my first posts on the forum.

But I am a realist, and I'm asking people for ideas about how to sustain the mod. I can't sustain it forever. It's not like counter-strike, CS didn't have persistent servers and a network of interconnected servers with total bandwidth rivaling a small country, downloads totalling well over 2 or 3 TB per day, and so on.

The reason this mod is successful is NOT cause of the content. It is because it is doing something different. The reason it hasn't been done before is because that difference is hard, it's risky, it's costly, and it takes a lot of work. I want the project to continue, but it has to be sustainable. I need to be honest with people that it can't sustain this way forever, but I am not comfortable with donations.

[/quote']

A standalone game has its virtues I guess, provided you're able to retain your autonomy. You could do a 'pay more if you feel that way' thing possibly.

On the other hand you have a bunch of people who'll be happy to assist any way they can. That's a pretty big pool just waiting to be given an opportunity (you may be able to extend the time you can sustain your project that way, until the time is right for a final decision).

You have a good rep here, an excellent bit of work and a rapidly growing, solid playerbase. Stay as up front as you've been doing and I reckon the community will support your decision.

Snip snip snip

I find all the price comments hilarious considering sales for ARMA II.

I'm gonna guess and say that a number of people have paid 15$+ just to play this mod... Including myself.

Code on rocket!

Sweet experiment. Look forward to more ideas and challenges.

I'll donate like 5 dollars, but I'm not buying DayZ again... I just paid 45 dollars for ArmA 2 CO and I'm not even playing ArmA 2, I'm playing DayZ, all day all night!

Well, I'll go on and speak only for myself, but ARMA II is a great game by itself and I feel like the money spend it's worth it.

If DayZ did become a standalone I would still buy it and pay a retail game's full price, I don't give a fuck. What I was going to spend the money on otherwise? Fucking fast food? Generic game of the year edition 3?

Well, I know I've payed U$S30 just for this mod (in my country you can't buy digital downloads from Amazon, and I don't want to do all the "durr buy a gift card" "hurr fake adress" thing). If this comes out, in any way, I'll buy it.. if I can donate, I'm gonna do it..

If you're going to the full game stick with the big map concept, it's almost what everyone wants, i.e everytime a GTA it's announced note that one of the more question asked is "how big is the map?".

I can't imagine how great would be a map like the San Andreas one + DayZ, a vast country, big cities, small towns you can lock up with friends.. make almost every building enterable.. hell, the possibilities are endless and I'm surely looking forward the day I can play something like that, hopes it come from you men, I'm gladly buying it... thanks for all this.

Well I'll speak for myself too :)

I bought ArmA 2 for fucking supporting the Day Z mod!!

So don't move it away to a standalone retail game after we just bought it, that's like spitting at our faces. I see that's why you're not accepting donations because you're about to spit at us ;_;

We buy DayZ to support THE Zombie Apocalypse mod of the year and to help you make it into a badass mod that people will say wtf this feels like a real game!!

Don't give me BS!! Nehrim was a free modification and look how badass that become! That was fucking AAA game quality for a free mod made by the Great Germans! If you believe you can do it, you don't need to make it commercial quality. Keep it in ArmA 2 CO :D

WESTSIDE MOFOZZZ

I'd more then happily pay $25-50 for a quality stand alone product. I'd even buy expansions as long as I was still playing the game and they made sense. Micro transactions in a game like this would be detrimental beyond repair.

Hell i'd even pay a small sub ($5-10) if you wanted to go for the 10x larger map and 10x more people per server route. The sub for people who are thick is needed to cover server architecture. My only issue with that though is that no mmo's have an Australian based server so pings are always 200-500. (thats bad)

Donations are definitely a losing battle. Honestly a risky idea, most will never give a dime and those that do will soon grow tired.

At the end of the day my blanket suggestion is do what needs to be done to make sure your creation survives in some maintainable form that gives you total control over is creative direction.

[/quote']

I know,... i'm not good with forums. Especially when coding too long... I tend to raaaaaaaaaaaaaage. Anyway, I'll go back to the update for a bit to cool off :)

Alright everybody, chill the FO and let this man do his magic.

I've already "paid 30 dollars for a mod" (I know I was paying for ARMA II), and I would gladly pay again for a stand-alone game. This is what I've been waiting for in a Zombie game, and I'm sure I'd be blown away if you had access to the source code, and your own IP.

DayZ can be so much more than "just a cool mod", and I really hope you don't burn out on this because of the complainers. Go for the gold man. Make DayZ a full game. I think you'd be surprised at just how many people would buy it.

I don't know how to explain this... but I wonder whether rocket is satisfied with us as a community. I've read that he wants us to balance and therefore "make" the game' date=' but I've recently read some suggestions which don't seem to point in the direction the game should go as rocket intended. Rocket says everytime that DayZ is an experiment and therefore it can be abortet whenever he wants. This is my biggest fear. DayZ is such a new, fresh idea and it's so incredibly fun that it would be very sad if this goes wrong just because the community failed. So what do you think? IMO DayZ achieved and can achieve A LOT in the future (just look at numbers like sales etc, you now what I mean). Maybe, just maybe, rocket can tell us what he expect from us.

-Cutzero

PS:

I know it's said a billion times, but I love you for making this mod rocket!!!

[/quote']

Yes, rocket is very awesome I agree. And as such the chance of him dropping this mod is small.

BUT, if he did, there are so many people into this type of game now that someone would pick it up I feel. SO no worries. But i feel rocket is trying his best so just sit tight, it IS an alpha and he DOES have a life other than this.

The best thing would be to ride the storm out, see if this influx of people are sticking to the game, or if it was just a "fluke"? I have no idea about the figures of people joining, but from what I've read, this was almost an overnight success.

To make a mod like this, so unforgiving and unfriendly, yet so delicious, rocket must have some serious brass balls. So unless he sells out to EA to make a console port or even worse: Carebear institute of carebearness™ this mod might be one of the best mods ever created.