wolfmat

Spawn survivors with only a flashlight

See thread title. Seriously, why not?

No backpack, food, water, gun, ammo, torches, bandages, painkillers, morphine. Only the flashlight.

That's not right. He suggested the flashlight as one of the starter items. I suggest the flashlight as the only starter item.

It's not about the flashlight, it is about the lack of the other items. It's a completely different topic.

Fucking hell.. All you read is "flashlight", and you went off. Madness!

Brutal.

But I am not sure my email, nor these forums, would survive the impending rage of the internet if that ever happened.

Calm your shit. I know exactly what you're talking about. Instead of making a very similar thread you could go to the other one and say "hey instead of having other gear with the flashlight how about you spawn with ONLY a flashlight?"

I don't want to argue with you about the validity of the thread. You're not a forum moderator. If you have a problem with the thread, then report it to a moderator.

Again, it's a completely different topic, and I really can't understand how you equated the two.

Thanks for ruining it, mate. Good form.

:D No problem! Being completely serious there is a minor flaw in your idea... Spawns sometimes throw people in the middle of no where far from towns which means that hunger and thirst will become a problem if you can't get to a town in time.

I would take this idea one step further, and suggest spawning with nothing at all. It would be more realistic--desperate refugees are arriving by sea from some region to the south. Maybe there has been a rumor of a military safe-zone (I have a whole backstory).

More importantly, this would cull the trigger-happy spawn nutters who immediately start firing at everyone (I am actually okay with this, but the wimpy "coasties" are not), and immediately force everyone into survival mode (this is paramount!!!). Also, spawn campers would get zero loot for their kills, so their number dwindle.

Spawning with nothing benefits everyone!!!

:D No problem! Being completely serious there is a minor flaw in your idea... Spawns sometimes throw people in the middle of no where far from towns which means that hunger and thirst will become a problem if you can't get to a town in time.

Well' date=' I don't think you can actually starve to death while trying to find a town, but you have a point: Some towns won't give the loot needed to survive because of the lack of loot spots and / or the loot probabilities. You can get a bad roll in Kamenka, and only end up with tin. If you then turn north, you're pretty much boned if you have zero supplies.

So maybe give the survivor water and food like it is now. That doubles the range, which should suffice.

The point of the suggestion is that the starter gun, as horrible as it is, skews the game towards shooting. Shooting is fun, but searching under risk and pressure, preferably in groups, is more fun in my opinion. (If you can call it fun.)

However, zombies would have to lose the scent, so to say, otherwise, it wouldn't be feasible to turn the situation around for the survivor, which is essential to the dynamic. You can turn the situation around now if you have no ammo because it suffices to pick up ammo and reload to be ready to shoot (unless you accidentally ditched your Makarov).

Actually, I just realized that I could just play like this -- ditch all the stuff at the beginning and see where it leads me. But if it's enforced, people would probably prefer cooperation much more up to a certain point.

[hr']

I would take this idea one step further' date=' and suggest spawning with nothing at all. It would be more realistic--desperate refugees are arriving by sea from some region to the south. Maybe there has been a rumor of a military safe-zone (I have a whole backstory).

More importantly, this would cull the trigger-happy spawn nutters who immediately start firing at everyone (I am actually okay with this, but the wimpy "coasties" are not), and immediately force everyone into survival mode (this is paramount!!!). Also, spawn campers would get zero loot for their kills, so their number dwindle.

[/quote']

You need some sort of light source at night, we all know this. And the torches and chemlights aren't proper light sources. Flashlights rock though.

Maybe only spawn with a flashlight if you spawn at night. Don't spawn at dusk, I guess, haha.

I would take this idea one step further' date=' and suggest spawning with nothing at all. It would be more realistic--desperate refugees are arriving by sea from some region to the south. Maybe there has been a rumor of a military safe-zone (I have a whole backstory).

[/quote']

I agree with this. At most, start with one stack of flares (they ARE great light sources), a water bottle and a pistol with one bullet. Hell, I think I'll roll with this myself the next time(s) I respawn, in the spirit of experimentation. Just drop it all on the beach and go.

Yep, this needs to be done. One bullet, a pistol, an empty canteen, and a glowstick.

It would be cool if your starting items were randomised, but very minimal. Like you might only get a flashlight, or you might only get a makarov with one clip. But then, when you spawn, you could choose to spawn either immediately or wait for other players and spawn in up to a group of three. Then one person can be the flashlight guy, one person the guy with the gun, and the other guy can have flares or a hunting knife or something :D.

The funnest part of this game is just starting out and working in a group with other survivors so

Brutal.

But I am not sure my email' date=' nor these forums, would survive the impending rage of the internet if that ever happened.

[/quote']

Haha, just think of all the sweet, salty, delicious tears.

Could it not be server selected? For instance, a server can choose what items players spawn with? I agree that backpacks should be taken out, so it becomes a priority of finding one as soon as you enter the game.

Of course, that again should be server chosen. That way people can choose whether they want to have a more hardcore start off to surviving or not.

I agree. But why flashlight? Make people spawn with absolutely nothing.

hmm I think I like this. It would be neat to see how things turn out when everybody doesn't start with a pistol and a bunch of mags. Then again, it could be frustrating and tedious.

Really wish this game had melee.

I was about to say, if the game had a melee system this would be perfect. I'd at least like to see a shoving function.

Flashlight and a stick. If you want to steal somebody's stuff you'll have to club them for it... for their stick and their flashlight.

It would be cool if your starting items were randomised' date=' but very minimal. Like you might only get a flashlight, or you might only get a makarov with one clip. But then, when you spawn, you could choose to spawn either immediately or wait for other players and spawn in up to a group of three. Then one person can be the flashlight guy, one person the guy with the gun, and the other guy can have flares or a hunting knife or something :D.

The funnest part of this game is just starting out and working in a group with other survivors so

[/quote']

the guy with the gun will kill the others to get the gear and then be off.

or how about 1 gets a gun the other the ammo. make it a enemy at the gates type of thing neither can kill

or how about 1 gets a gun the other the ammo. make it a enemy at the gates type of thing neither can kill

Yeah, I want that also.

Edit: The 5-star rating I gave to the thread just now is because I love what comes out of this.

Also, rating systems suck. You can ask anyone.